Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War Ancestors

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchmo View Post
    So I have a few ancestors, a lot of which I've just recently discovered because they haven't as obvious of a connection. I do have photos of some but I'm just going to post names and what information I have. Some of these are a little more well known and don't need a great deal of information. I'm only going to note the relationships to my direct ancestors, everyone else I will not get in to.

Harrison Haynes, Co. F 1st South Carolina Cavalry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He fought under Gen. Wade Hampton and was at Gettysburg just to name one battle.

Jopseh Martin, Co. A 17th South Carolina Infantry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He was wounded at the Battle of 2nd Manassas. When he recovered, he was assigned as regimental quartermaster.

William G. Hatcher, Co. G 21st Georgia Infantry - He was killed at the Battle of 2nd Manassas.

John A. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

John J. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

D. Wesley Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

James L. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

Captain James M. Cathey, Co F 25st North Carolina Infantry - He was killed at The Crater.

General Nathan Bedford Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Major William H. Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest 6th Mississippi Battalion State Troops

Cpt./Col. Jeffrey Forrest Co. C Forrest's Cavalry / 8th Tennessee Cavalry - Killed at the Battle of Okalona

Cpt./Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest Co. D Forrest's Cavalry / 20th Tennessee CSA Regiment
    Pretty impressive list Hatchmo! Amazing how it looks like whole families took part, so long as the men were of age. I've yet to expand all my family lines through the Civil War period, still trying though. Nice work!
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Pretty impressive list Hatchmo! Amazing how it looks like whole families took part, so long as the men were of age. I've yet to expand all my family lines through the Civil War period, still trying though. Nice work!
    You're right, it was definitely a family ordeal, especially for the South.

Speaking of which, I found another member going off a thought after what you said.

Harper Haynes Co. A 6th SC Cavalry (Brother to Harrison Haynes my GGG Grandfather)
    Col. Hatcher
    Adjutant, Drayton's Brigade

In Memoriam of my Confederate Ancestors:

Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Major William H. Forrest, Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest, Captain James M. Cathey, Harrison Haynes, Harper Haynes, Jopseh Martin, William G. Hatcher, John A. Hatcher, John J. Hatcher, D. Wesley Hatcher, James L. Hatcher

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchmo View Post
    You're right, it was definitely a family ordeal, especially for the South.

Speaking of which, I found another member going off a thought after what you said.

Harper Haynes Co. A 6th SC Cavalry (Brother to Harrison Haynes my GGG Grandfather)
    I wonder who helped you with that !
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Locke1740 View Post
    I wonder who helped you with that !
    Thank you my friend!
    Col. Hatcher
    Adjutant, Drayton's Brigade

In Memoriam of my Confederate Ancestors:

Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Major William H. Forrest, Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest, Captain James M. Cathey, Harrison Haynes, Harper Haynes, Jopseh Martin, William G. Hatcher, John A. Hatcher, John J. Hatcher, D. Wesley Hatcher, James L. Hatcher

CSA Captain

I myself have a metric arseload of ancestors who took part in the Civil War, mostly because it seemed that all the branches of my family had a real knack for breeding like rabbits. Have a google document with a lot listed down with their unit and ranks, but I'm not going to bore anyone with such nonsense. There are some pretty "prominent" ones that may interest people, though.

Going first with my highest-ranked ancestor (of my paternal grandmother's family): Major General Israel B. Richardson - commander of 1st Division, II Corps at Antietam (where he suffered a mortal wound).

When it comes to my various family branches, I take the most interest in my mother's line (the Hunt family). At the time of the Civil War, the Hunts were generally concentrated into three clusters - one in Kentucky, one in Nortern Indiana & Michigan, and and the third broadly spread throughout New England. Brevet Major General Henry J. Hunt was of the second cluster. The first of these clusters, the Kentucky one, is of the most interest to me because of how roughly half served in Union Kentucky units and the other half in Confederate Kentucky units. Firstly, we have Lieutenant Colonel Philemon B. Hunt who was in the 4th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (US); and secondly (of all the individual ancestors, I find this man of the most interest) Colonel Thomas Hart Hunt, who commanded the 9th Kentucky Infantry Regiment (CSA) and, for a time, acted as the Orphan Brigade's Commander after the previous one had died. Colonel Hunt was the uncle of the famous John Hunt Morgan (his middle name obviously being drawn from Thomas' surname), and was often referred to by Morgan and his Staff as "Uncle Tom"; Colonel Hunt was seriously wounded at Shiloh (if I remember correctly) and resigned in 1863 because of family trouble, some months after his resignation he respectfully declined a offered commission as Brigadier General.

My direct paternal family line is littered with Civil War ancestors, but with the exception of a few Captains and Lieutenants, were all privates - so there's nothing much of interest to put down. That being said, I did have multiple take part in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg (24th and 56th Virginia); I recall one being captured in the charge, I do not know of the fates of the others.
    Last edited by DaMonkey; 06-24-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Major H.P. Bouldin, 18th Virginia Infantry

Give me Kentucky Volunteers, or Give me Death!

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Very cool. There is a nice monument (on private property i might add, so they wont be trying to pull none of that New Orleans bullshit with this monument) outside of Pt. Lookout. If I can find a pic i took i will post it. Its dedicated to all CSA prisoners who either died at or survived Pt. Lookout.
    Wow I didn't know that! thanks man.

CSA Captain

Brigadier General Henry Hopkins Sibley. He didn't take part in any of the major battles all his accomplishments and fails were in west Texas.800px-Henry_Hopkins_Sibley.jpg

CSA Captain

My most closely related are in my signature. But if you go to the records search and Search the last name "Peyton" in the state of Virginia there is 4 pages of people who were related to me. A lot of them Majors, Colonels, and Captains.

Some have interesting stories. Major Charles S Peyton had his arm shot off in an earlier battle and led his men of Garnett's Brigade, 19th Virginia infantry, into Pickett's charge in Gettysburg. All with 1 arm. He was the only officer not killed or wounded and made the post battle report which is on official records.

My only Union ancestor and 3x Great Grandfather Private William Hughes immigrated from County Mayo, Ireland and joined the 7th Wisconsin volunteer infantry. He was shot in the leg in the battle of the Wilderness and when he went to the medical tent, he saw the piles of limbs from amputees and didn't want to suffer the same fate, so he used tobacco on his wound to seal his blood vessels and stop bleeding and saved his own leg. He eventually lived to be 107 years old.

The only one I have a picture of, my other 3x Great Grandfather, John Daniel Belcher, was in the E company of the 13th Georgia Infantry. Was captured and made a POW at Gettysburg. Surrendered at Appomattox courthouse. Married Sarah C Lee who was rumored to be the 1st cousin of Robert E Lee but I haven't confirmed it. heres old John D himself

jdbelcher.jpg
    2Lt. Obadiah Peyton. 2nd Georgia Infantry Company G

Ancestors:
    Major Charles S Peyton - 19th Virginia Infantry
    John Daniel Belcher - 13th Georgia Infantry
    Elijah Clark Belcher - 47th Georgia Infantry
    William Hughes - 7th Wisconsin Infantry
    Cpt. Thomas J Peyton - Fry's Company, Virginia Light Artillery

CSA Captain

26th Louisiana Infantry Co. A, Pvt Desire Jean Broussard (3rd Great Grandfather) fought at Vicksburg and became a POW after
    18th Illinois Infantry Co. G, Pvt Martin Van Buren Allison (3rd Great Grandfather) Discharged, Sep 24, 1862; disability.
    111th Pennsylvania Infantry Co. G, Pvt George Washington Brooks (3rd Great Grandfather) fought from Cedar Mountain to Bentonville.
    24th Tennessee Infantry Co. I, Sgt S. G. Hendrix (3rd Great Grandfather)
    43rd Alabama Infantry Co. E, Pvt Joseph R. Byrd (3rd Great Grandfather) fought at Chickamauga and then sent to reinforce Longstreet.

I'll will add more once I find more ancestors.
    Last edited by Saris; 10-09-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    26th Louisiana Infantry Co A, Pvt Desire Jean Broussard (3rd Great Grandfather) fought at Vicksburg and became a POW after
    With a name like Broussard, he has to be Cajun
    2Lt. Obadiah Peyton. 2nd Georgia Infantry Company G

Ancestors:
    Major Charles S Peyton - 19th Virginia Infantry
    John Daniel Belcher - 13th Georgia Infantry
    Elijah Clark Belcher - 47th Georgia Infantry
    William Hughes - 7th Wisconsin Infantry
    Cpt. Thomas J Peyton - Fry's Company, Virginia Light Artillery