Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to help familiarize with problems of a first person shooter like this.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clock View Post
    I think the big problem of this game is that it will not be fun. It is quite clear from the developers that this game is made with historical accuracy in mind. However, there should be a fun factor for the game. As from what I have seen from the gameplay video and my experience from the game itself, it seems rather clunky and boring. Howevee, I should not judge due to it being in EA, and changes can be made.
    You condescended yourself just a smidge right here bud. Great things take time, and I have much faith in the Devs, not only are they working their butts off, but they are also some of the most active when it comes to a gaming community that I have ever seen.

So keep it up guys, yall are doing great.
    Pvt. Martin Brockenbrough's Battery A, I Corps

In honor of:
    Sgt. Benjamin J. Martin
    15th Alabama Infantry, Company E.
    Southern Cross of Honor Recipient

Personal Service Record
    U.S. ARMY SSGT. 11B20/2B/B4/5U
    6 Years Active Duty
    x2 Combat Deployments in OEF
    1-12 INF, 4th/2nd IBCT, 4ID

While I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm and faith of Martin T, let me go ahead and tone down the possible hostility that might or might not be in the thread, and try to allay some fears.
    One of my more obvious jobs as the historical adviser to the company has been making sure there is at least a modicum of historical accuracy about us. We have bills to pay and a community set to raise up with pitchforks and fire were we to do otherwise!
    However, another less known part of that job is knowing just how much to stand on the principle and how much to let go so as to allow that fun that Jack - and many more casual players are seeking - can be found. This is necessary because while the diehards who get their fun from just how historically accurate we could get, they will ultimately make only a moderate percentage of our player base in comparison to the larger amount that don't have the same amount of time and effort to invest into every minutiae of drill and historical tidbit, as much fun as I find wallowing in it! But our success as a game will depend on just how we balance this question.
    As I have mentioned in some threads past, it is always good to have input from every member of our community, and I have also mentioned that we will do our best to properly balance the playability and historical accuracy of the game, though we have very admittedly bent towards one over the other. But Jack, if you were a fan of games and community-based mods like Napoleonic Wars or other games that portray a historical period, I think this too will be right up your alley. And we would certainly look forward to seeing you in-game as we progress so you can see just how much fun it can be!

CSA Lieutenant General

I apologize if I presented even the slightest air of hostility.

Thank you for taking time to clarify for us Mr. Crecey.
    Pvt. Martin Brockenbrough's Battery A, I Corps

In honor of:
    Sgt. Benjamin J. Martin
    15th Alabama Infantry, Company E.
    Southern Cross of Honor Recipient

Personal Service Record
    U.S. ARMY SSGT. 11B20/2B/B4/5U
    6 Years Active Duty
    x2 Combat Deployments in OEF
    1-12 INF, 4th/2nd IBCT, 4ID

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeCrecy View Post
    While I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm and faith of Martin T, let me go ahead and tone down the possible hostility that might or might not be in the thread, and try to allay some fears.
    One of my more obvious jobs as the historical adviser to the company has been making sure there is at least a modicum of historical accuracy about us. We have bills to pay and a community set to raise up with pitchforks and fire were we to do otherwise!
    However, another less known part of that job is knowing just how much to stand on the principle and how much to let go so as to allow that fun that Jack - and many more casual players are seeking - can be found. This is necessary because while the diehards who get their fun from just how historically accurate we could get, they will ultimately make only a moderate percentage of our player base in comparison to the larger amount that don't have the same amount of time and effort to invest into every minutiae of drill and historical tidbit, as much fun as I find wallowing in it! But our success as a game will depend on just how we balance this question.
    As I have mentioned in some threads past, it is always good to have input from every member of our community, and I have also mentioned that we will do our best to properly balance the playability and historical accuracy of the game, though we have very admittedly bent towards one over the other. But Jack, if you were a fan of games and community-based mods like Napoleonic Wars or other games that portray a historical period, I think this too will be right up your alley. And we would certainly look forward to seeing you in-game as we progress so you can see just how much fun it can be!
    Thank you for putting my fears to rest.

I am afraid I did not like Napoleonic Wars at all, as it has the same problems as Warbands multiplayer. I also felt very alone and awkward, as there were all these regiments and such while I didn't really know what to do. I did not really like Warbands multiplayer, but Napoleonic wars seemed really flat.

From what I have heard though, this game seeks to improve on Napoleonic wars, which makes me quite hopeful. However, the only worry I have is that the game will not be fun outside of historical battles. I do feel like the community can help with that though with community servers. Overall, I like the game a lot though.

Thank you for putting my fears to rest.

I am afraid I did not like Napoleonic Wars at all, as it has the same problems as Warbands multiplayer. I also felt very alone and awkward, as there were all these regiments and such while I didn't really know what to do. I did not really like Warbands multiplayer, but Napoleonic wars seemed really flat.

From what I have heard though, this game seeks to improve on Napoleonic wars, which makes me quite hopeful. However, the only worry I have is that the game will not be fun outside of historical battles. I do feel like the community can help with that though with community servers. Overall, I like the game a lot though.
    We have no intention of improving Napoleonic Wars.

War of Rights is/going to be a very different game altogether. I hope that is quite evident already.

I'm not saying it's a bad game (far from it. It seemed like good entertainment for the 20 or so hours I played it back in the day) I'm just saying it really isn't a major source of inspiration for us.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We have no intention of improving Napoleonic Wars.

War of Rights is/going to be a very different game altogether. I hope that is quite evident already.

I'm not saying it's a bad game (far from it. It seemed like good entertainment for the 20 or so hours I played it back in the day) I'm just saying it really isn't a major source of inspiration for us.

- Trusty
    Odd. I assumed that was the goal, due to many devs of the game worked on North and South. My mistake.

Odd. I assumed that was the goal, due to many devs of the game worked on North and South. My mistake.
    There is just one developer, who worked on North and South.. and thats just me

The others never played or even heard of the mod

Oh. Thank god. Napoleonic snores (in my opinion don't hurt me pls) can go suck my cossack.

I have yet to try North and South yet, due to the workshop not functioning, but what I have seen looks better than Napoleonic Wars.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    The only thing remotely related to anything Napoleonic in this game would be the dying Napoleonic battle formation tactics. The standing at a respectable distance and just shooting at each other.

Other than that method, which died out towards the end of the conflict, the only other thing that's possibly Napoleonic about is the 12lb Gun-Howitzer called the Napoleon.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    The only thing remotely related to anything Napoleonic in this game would be the dying Napoleonic battle formation tactics. The standing at a respectable distance and just shooting at each other.

Other than that method, which died out towards the end of the conflict, the only other thing that's possibly Napoleonic about is the 12lb Gun-Howitzer called the Napoleon.
    And even those are poorly represented in Napoleonic Wars...

MB NW is fun to play in an arcadey sort of way. War of Rights is going to be awesome and make us feel like we're there I believe!
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot