PDA

View Full Version : If you're ever in the neighborhood. ..

A. P. Hill
12-09-2015, 07:02 PM
You need to visit this place (http://www.borail.org/Civil-War.aspx), and get a ride to camp Carroll the largest active union civil war camp.

(Be sure to click on the video )

Jamez
12-09-2015, 07:16 PM
I will actually be working in america in the summer so I am going to have the opportunity to visit some civil war locations. Haven't decided where yet as I do not know where I will be placed

A. P. Hill
12-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Cool. If you know in advance, send me a PM i'd consider being tour guide and taxi service. ;)

Jamez
12-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Got to get the placement first! Could be anywhere from Pennsylvania to Texas ;)

A. P. Hill
12-09-2015, 10:52 PM
I'm in Maryland close to a ton of places. :)

thomas aagaard
12-09-2015, 11:24 PM
Interesting... I been at the railroad museum, but not the camp...

Henronicus
12-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Visit Virginia, we have the most battlefields of any state with 123 battles, compared to Tennessee's 2nd place of 38 battles.

By the way, if you do I recommend Petersburg, visited there a couple years back, the crater's still huge! Not sure If I was allowed to climb inside it, but I did. Manassass is another great one, with a statue of Jackson and a nice hiking trail too. I would also have to say at some point try to head north and see Antietam(sharpsburg in proper english) I went there too. It's a nice battlefield but I went in the winter and didn't stay for long. Honestly though most states south of Pennsylvania should have at least one battlefield within a relatively short driving distance(except Florida cause not much happened there)

Jamez
12-10-2015, 01:52 AM
I would love to visit a few places but with only so much time and money I will probably only have time to visit one of them. There is just too much to do.

A. P. Hill
12-10-2015, 04:02 AM
Visit Virginia, we have the most battlefields of any state with 123 battles, compared to Tennessee's 2nd place of 38 battles.

By the way, if you do I recommend Petersburg, visited there a couple years back, the crater's still huge! Not sure If I was allowed to climb inside it, but I did. Manassass is another great one, with a statue of Jackson and a nice hiking trail too. I would also have to say at some point try to head north and see Antietam(sharpsburg in proper english) I went there too. It's a nice battlefield but I went in the winter and didn't stay for long. Honestly though most states south of Pennsylvania should have at least one battlefield within a relatively short driving distance(except Florida cause not much happened there)

And Yes, Henronicus, I have lived in VA ... Mechanicsville to be exact. I lived on the yankee side of Beaver Dam Creek, and I have been waist deep in mud and water exploring that field. I have been all over the state of Virginia on just about all battlefields. There are a couple here in Maryland I need to visit yet, but I've been to Antietam, and South Mountain and across the river to Harpers Ferry ... :) And a long time ago, I even visited Gettysburg.

I feel sorry for the Euros who have not experienced these locations.

And my invitation wasn't just to Jamez ... IF any of you guys make it to the states and you're in my neck of the woods, let me know. I'd be happy to drive.

FirstDiv2Corps
12-10-2015, 07:25 AM

By the way, if you do I recommend Petersburg, visited there a couple years back, the crater's still huge! Not sure If I was allowed to climb inside it, but I did.... Honestly though most states south of Pennsylvania should have at least one battlefield within a relatively short driving distance(except Florida cause not much happened there)

The answer is no, please don't walk in the Crater. Think of it as any other trench system on a battlefield-- you preserve it by not walking on it.

And Florida does have the Battle of Olustee.

Leifr
12-10-2015, 09:15 AM
The climb over on to Harper's Ferry heights is a fun one, too.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-10-2015, 09:36 AM

You must not feel like that. we have other battlefields which are also great and important ;)

5 minutes from my house are two important places. a castle which was 5 times under siege in the 30 years war and never conquered (they only destroyed the toilet xD )

the second one is the cavalry battle of Engen in the Napoleonic era.

But I have to say I would like to see Antietam and Gettysburg and the grave of Friedrich Hecker. ( he was a 48ter ) and of Franz Sigel. (also a 48ter)

William
12-10-2015, 02:12 PM
You must not feel like that. we have other battlefields which are also great and important ;)

5 minutes from my house are two important places. a castle which was 5 times under siege in the 30 years war and never conquered (they only destroyed the toilet xD )

the second one is the cavalry battle of Engen in the Napoleonic era.

But I have to say I would like to see Antietam and Gettysburg and the grave of Friedrich Hecker. ( he was a 48ter ) and of Franz Sigel. (also a 48ter)

awesome where do you life in Germany

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Singen am Hohentwiel. Close to Konstanz

There were actually more important battles like the revolution of 1848 but that would be to off topic

Soulfly
12-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Singen am Hohentwiel. Close to Konstanz

There were actually more important battles like the revolution of 1848 but that would be to off topic

Well i live in Berlin, therefore i have some battlefields around me too...from the Prussian era to WW2 of course. Europe has a lot to share regarding that topic

Jamez
12-10-2015, 02:34 PM
And Yes, Henronicus, I have lived in VA ... Mechanicsville to be exact. I lived on the yankee side of Beaver Dam Creek, and I have been waist deep in mud and water exploring that field. I have been all over the state of Virginia on just about all battlefields. There are a couple here in Maryland I need to visit yet, but I've been to Antietam, and South Mountain and across the river to Harpers Ferry ... :) And a long time ago, I even visited Gettysburg.

And my invitation wasn't just to Jamez ... IF any of you guys make it to the states and you're in my neck of the woods, let me know. I'd be happy to drive.

Considering my plan is to hitch-hike around USA if things work out then I may just have to take you up on that offer if I am ever near you. I would like to see Antietam afterall.

You shouldn't feel sorry for us, we have historic places which are unavailable for you aswell. I live in york which still has its city walls surrounding the city centre and also the shambles, a medieval street which is still here today.

http://holeinthedonut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/City-Walls-York-Minster.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/The_Shambles%2C_York.jpg

Henronicus
12-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Well it's not so much of a trench or fort anymore, now it's just a grassy hill with a pit in the middle. It's even got some shrubs and trees growing on the rim. And yes I did know that Florida had a few battles, but I'm pretty sure they were spread out and so not as easy to get to nowadays, whereas I live less than 2 hours from at least 5 battles.

By the way apparently in York there is a really old law from roman times that they never got rid of, so technically it's still legal to shoot a scotsman with a bow and arrow as long as you are within the walls.

A. P. Hill
12-11-2015, 01:33 AM
I've been all over Petersburg Nat'l. When I lived in Hopewell, believe it or not the battlefield park was where all the people hung out. It was nothing to go out on a Saturday and see a good 1,000 people of all sorts picnicking and playing frizby, sun bathing etc.

Jonny Powers
12-11-2015, 10:10 PM
My house is only a half hour from Point Lookout; I've been there and to Dr. Mudd's house (45 min away). PL is a really nice park and beach, all that's left of the POW camp is a wall and guard's quarters.

Rithal
12-12-2015, 03:28 AM
In envy y'all! Out here in in Tennessee, I can pretty much count on two hands the number of Civil War locations we have. :(

Henronicus
12-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Well then you have too many fingers