PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Pvt.Scott
12-19-2015, 11:24 PM
I think for weather there should be ranging from a light rain spout to a massive lightning storm and another thing is that if there is lightning they should have it so it sparks fire if it hits a tree causing a massive wild fire and if you're near it you'll be damaged and hurt. This mechanic would be awesome in game because it like a downpour and if your walking it would be slower because your in mud and it would take a while for mud to clear. And at night a lightning storm would be epic watching as the flags when a lightning bolt flashes across a field and you just see a glimsp of the enemy. This would just be awesome during night having it thunderstorm and have a firefight continue and the only way to fire accurate (Well at least a little accurate because its still night but otherwise) is to watch the light the lightning makes. And this could also work for full moons. Like the moon would illuminate the battlefield.

SHoGUN
01-12-2016, 11:23 AM
+1
Maybe not to the point of lightning causing fires to trees, but I really like the idea of storms in the background to a battle, and in general, the weather playing a big role. Muddy battles have pretty much never been done properly in any game involving melee, yet I'm sure most battles were fought in muddy situations, dealing with slippery or thick muddy grounds causing players to slow down etc. I'm guessing it hasn't been done much because it's tough to pull off, but damn.. imagine the attraction to the game that kind of detail would create. A good weather system would mean using things like the sun to your advantage, keeping it on your back while approaching the blinded enemy, using a muddy field to slow the advance or escape of enemy troops who are trapped sloshing around waiting for a muddy death, or laying in ambush in a forest in front of a sea of dried autumn leaves and hearing the crunches of them as the enemy trod through unaware (I know, I need to design my own game already :p)

I would love to even expand this idea to seasonal weather that actually stays on the season for a good month or so, and switches over to the next. It wouldn't need to match the servers locations season (although that'd be a nice touch too), but just adding that element to the game would look gorgeous for one, and be interesting on whether players tactics change depending on the weather conditions. It would add really nice immersion, and this kind of attention to detail is always very impressive. I can only imagine the amount of work some of the conditions would amount to, and considering the environment isn't really the focus of the game, it'd be very lucky if this kind of thing was expanded on. Imagine mud transferring to your boots and flicking up onto your back as you run. Characters knees getting thick mud all over them from kneeling in a mud puddle. Could even go to the extent of rain, mud or even snow effecting your muskets performance. The headache and time attached to this would be rather large, but something like this could really set it up the whole game to sell huge if done right.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
01-12-2016, 11:32 AM
that would be awesome but i think thats impossible because they need actually hundreds (thousands?) of hours for the environment and they should it do 3 times again?

But its a really really good idea. I like you ideas ;) because they are similar to mines

Soulfly
01-12-2016, 12:22 PM
(you really want to see some graphic cards burn, right ?) I like the idea too, but for the Maryland Campaign i cant remember to have read that there were any rainy days during the battles. If such a feature will see life one day, it would be cool to have some impact on the players, like shaking because of getting cold etc.

SHoGUN
01-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Yeah, shaking due to cold would be so wicked.. It'd be the games own hardcore mod! I realise this would be waay down the line of importance if at all. I really believe this game could take off though, and get some big support before release, so who knows. I'm doing my part anyway, brought at least 10 players into this game so far! Hoping to get more (got a big steam friend list ;)). Gotta see these massively expensive features make there way into the game somehow.. even if it takes 1 steam friend list at a time.

that would be awesome but i think thats impossible because they need actually hundreds (thousands?) of hours for the environment and they should it do 3 times again?

But its a really really good idea. I like you ideas because they are similar to minesYeah it'd be a hell of a lot of time and money. So get recommending the game to all your mates! Need to spread the word! And yes, great minds think alike :)

thomas aagaard
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
The game will focus on the Maryland campaign in september 62 so it would be logical to focus on the weather that was actually the case back then.

Lets get the game we where promished first... then later add to it.

R21
01-13-2016, 03:50 AM
I'd like to see this simply because it'd add variation to Battles. Cry-Engine also seems fairly adept at this kind of thing as-well so to completely dismiss this as a potential feature because of realism concerns is a bit short sighted imo (like i've mentioned a random Campaign before that wasn't absolutely historically accurate and a feature like this would fit in well there).

Pvt.Scott
01-13-2016, 09:05 PM
lol yeah I thought of this like a month ago and was going to put a thread on it but forgot. And different weather could just be something so the game doesn't get boring after a couple years.

A. P. Hill
01-13-2016, 10:57 PM
The game will focus on the Maryland campaign in september 62 so it would be logical to focus on the weather that was actually the case back then.

Lets get the game we where promished first... then later add to it.

And with that said, IF everyone would find a good book on this campaign and read it .... you may be amazed.

BloodBeag
01-17-2016, 11:43 AM
And with that said, IF everyone would find a good book on this campaign and read it .... you may be amazed.

would you be so kind as to enlighten us to the weather during the campaign?

Willy The Walrus
03-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Imagine a night time rain as you fire you musket into the direction you are ordered to.