PDA

View Full Version : Accents on Characters

Drac
12-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if the characters, as they are charging with their war cry's and officers giving orders and such had accent according to their nationality they choose during customization? For instance, Like if your character is Irish, you have the Voice of a Irish Man, same goes for German and such. As well as accents for the state you came from like New York and Boston and such. Same goes for the south, The more southern Westerners would be cowboy sounding and the ones more from the east would have those thick Southern Accents. Also, wouldn't be cool to choose how thick the accent was? Say if your Character is a immigrant(fresh to the Country so thick accent) or recently in America(you hear it, but not as thick), or the family has been in America for along time(barley registers), and finally, just American sounding from either the South or Northern states with their respected Accents(New York, Texas, etc.).

This would be cool to see in the upcoming War of Rights.

http://i.imgur.com/UnJG1bp.png

http://i.imgur.com/sFXXA51.png

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-19-2015, 10:49 PM
sounds great

Jamez
12-19-2015, 11:16 PM
That would be a nice addition for sure.

Hinkel
12-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Of course we would like to offer different accents, but for that, you need good voice actors with professional equipment.
The voice acting is on our list for the next year, for the moment we are getting help from amateur/professional voice actors, who are working for free. They offered their help for the trailer and other scenes we released.
For the full game, we need hundrets of voice files and we would like to offer various accents indeed. But we can't promise anything at the moment.

A. P. Hill
12-20-2015, 02:18 PM
I'll volunteer for voice acting. :)

zerosius
12-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Of course we would like to offer different accents, but for that, you need good voice actors with professional equipment.
The voice acting is on our list for the next year, for the moment we are getting help from amateur/professional voice actors, who are working for free. They offered their help for the trailer and other scenes we released.
For the full game, we need hundrets of voice files and we would like to offer various accents indeed. But we can't promise anything at the moment.

Hey Hinkel! Could one volunteer for German based Voiceacting? There were quite a lot of German Volunteers in the civil war. Would be cool if you could choose your nationality, and your character would speak with a german accent for example :)

Gandalf
12-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Accents would be a great feature, hope we see it in game. :D

Jamez
12-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Hey Hinkel! Could one volunteer for German based Voiceacting? There were quite a lot of German Volunteers in the civil war. Would be cool if you could choose your nationality, and your character would speak with a german accent for example :)

You would need some high quality recording equipment to just jump up and volunteer for voice acting. It would not be something just recorded on a computer headset

Hinkel
12-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Well, like Jamez said, you need voice acting equipment for it. Like a filter, a stationary microphone, a room for it and such.
A regular head set is not working at all.

The results would be something like those, one of our volunteers made it with his home equipment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZl52IS7I0

MrAmerican
12-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I support this... maybe if we crowdfund some more money the devs could purchase better voice acting equipment, they can add it as a stretch goal ;)

Jamez
12-20-2015, 07:17 PM
I support this... maybe if we crowdfund some more money the devs could purchase better voice acting equipment, they can add it as a stretch goal :D

it's not the devs who need the equipment but the voice actors themselves so they can record it.

zerosius
12-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Well, like Jamez said, you need voice acting equipment for it. Like a filter, a stationary microphone, a room for it and such.
A regular head set is not working at all.

Ok thx mate :)

I have been toying with getting a new microphone anyway, so would it be possible to send you a recording first with subpar equipment, just for you to see if i would be a good candidate for Voiceacting?
After that i might invest in some quality equipment!

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-20-2015, 11:01 PM
oi zero? i should cry with your voice? you want to be the voice of germany ( :p ) ?

I have to go to the next electronic market and buy some equitment. :p

Jamez
12-20-2015, 11:13 PM
You both don't seem to understand the quality of the equipment you would require.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-20-2015, 11:25 PM
We see. its just a joke Jamez. ;)

zerosius
12-21-2015, 12:05 AM
I do. 250€ Plus at least, plus a room with good accustics to record in.

MrAmerican
12-21-2015, 12:08 AM
@Jamez
Hey if they want to do free voice acting and send it in, then more power to them.
It may just turn out well enough for a placeholder until later in development. :)

Jamez
12-21-2015, 12:09 AM

Well I am impressed if you are actually willing to do that.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-21-2015, 12:25 AM

wow great.

invite me to you and we will record something. I am the one with the very hard accent. I goes to fight with Sigel. ja das ist true ;)

JohnMeow
12-21-2015, 03:08 AM
yeah, i think this would be a great expansion on customization.

William F. Randolph
12-21-2015, 07:03 PM
I'd be happy to voice act. If you need an 18 year old Tennessee accent hit me up.

GreyDog58
12-21-2015, 09:48 PM
I used to have a really good Tennessean accent. But since I moved into town I kinda lost it. ;-;

MrAmerican
12-21-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm just over here with my normal, no accent, south jersey voice... the only thing we say different is we pronounce water as wudder... that is really it ;)

Henronicus
12-22-2015, 03:24 PM
another cool feature if your character was a fresh immigrant would be if he sometimes lapsed into his native language for certain words on occasion, and if he was killed or wounded and had a slow death he might start muttering in German or whatever language his original homeland had.

Devmc99
12-22-2015, 07:06 PM
another cool feature if your character was a fresh immigrant would be if he sometimes lapsed into his native language for certain words on occasion, and if he was killed or wounded and had a slow death he might start muttering in German or whatever language his original homeland had.

That would be awesome. I just hope you can pick your nationality in the character creator.

Mi'kmaq
12-24-2015, 08:03 AM
I would be willing to do a bit of voice acting, but I don't exactly have the equipment ;)

Landree
12-28-2015, 04:27 AM
I love the Appalachian and Old Dominion accents! They really are pretty rare these days. The colonel for the ANV regiment I used to be a part of when I lived in VA had a wonderful virginian accent. They say stuff like "aboot" and "hoose". The folks in the Appalachians will say stuff like "yander".

Jeffrey Miller
01-04-2016, 06:59 AM
Agreed, make it a goal. I know a place where i can record some lines with professional equipment if you want it done.

Drac
01-17-2016, 09:58 PM
If you need a Utah sounding guy, here I am, lol

Colonel P. R. Page
01-23-2016, 12:06 PM
What about older/younger voices?

Colonel P. R. Page
01-23-2016, 12:12 PM
I still have my ascent, and Virginians say things like "Yonder" as opposed to the Appalachian "Yander" different sound, same meaning.

spe801
01-23-2016, 10:46 PM
I have experience in acting, I'm from Mississippi and can do a proper Rebel Yell. I'd be glad to record some stuff. I have a nice mic

Mi'kmaq
01-24-2016, 06:15 PM
That would be awesome. I just hope you can pick your nationality in the character creator.

I had some old book that attempted to mimic the accents of 18th century Palatine settlers of Virginia. Pretty fascinating.

This song is probably the closest thing to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUSJA-vtg_s

Maximus Decimus Meridius
01-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Of course. :D

I live in Baden where Sigel fought for democracy.

SemajRednaxela
01-24-2016, 08:18 PM

Could it be possible for the community to send voice clips??

Hinkel
01-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Could it be possible for the community to send voice clips??

You could always send some preview sentences or voices to hinkel@warofrights.com

;)

Drac
05-19-2016, 11:38 PM
You could always send some preview sentences or voices to hinkel@warofrights.com

;)

Fantastic, Hope to see it there Hinkel!

Locke1740
05-19-2016, 11:48 PM
I wish i had an old south accent, my great uncle or something along those lines has this old Charleston Gentlemen accent as i am told, i want to meet him as a sensible young man for the first time, i am told he went to Westpoint and taught there for some 10 years or so, back to the point, his accent is very, i wouldn't say thick but old :D

Sir Doctor Professor
05-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I just hope we don't end up with offensive stereotypical accents like the Confederates have in NaS.

Locke1740
05-20-2016, 01:12 PM
I just hope we don't end up with offensive stereotypical accents like the Confederates have in NaS.

Like the ones in the fundraiser trailer :D

SemajRednaxela
05-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Unless it's been recended.

I belive the Devs said that if you have good enough recording equipment you can send them clips to potentially end up in game.....

Sir Doctor Professor
05-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Like the ones in the fundraiser trailer :D

+1 That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Grant97
05-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Yes it's a very nice idea ;)

Legion
05-20-2016, 07:42 PM
I wonder if they are going to do regional accents? Hope they get someone to do South Louisiana accents, no other state has it. They should add some french in there also, alot of the orders were spoken in French.

Drac
05-20-2016, 10:24 PM

;)

Hey Hinkel, Could you give us a link for anyone wanting to do some voice acting some lines or something? Like the ones in the video.

Colonel P. R. Page
05-20-2016, 10:46 PM
The accents have to be real and by people that actually live in the north and south.

Legion
05-20-2016, 10:47 PM
The accents have to be real and by people that actually live in the north and south.

Sign me up. Unfortunately I don't have any kind of recording software so I wouldn't be much help. Though I can see if the accent is correct or not.

crazychester1247
05-20-2016, 11:00 PM
When I get my new mic I might send them some Pittsburghese.

Legion
05-20-2016, 11:04 PM
When I get my new mic I might send them some Pittsburghese.

Texas or Pennsylvania? I would think Texas but you never know.

crazychester1247
05-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Texas or Pennsylvania? I would think Texas but you never know.

West Pennsylvania. If you mean where the accents from.

Richter
05-21-2016, 12:06 AM
I really liked the voice actor in the trailer who said "Fire by volley."

Legion
05-21-2016, 12:10 AM
I really liked the voice actor in the trailer who said "Fire by volley."

Personally I didn't really like it, it sounded like he was trying to sound macho or tuff, it also seemed like he was trying to force an accent instead of letting it flow naturally. It just sounded strange and unnatural in my opinion.

elder_gutknecht
05-21-2016, 07:45 AM
http:// pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ling201/test3materials/americandialects.htm ( http://pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ling201/test3materials/americandialects.htm)

SemajRednaxela
05-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Personally I didn't really like it, it sounded like he was trying to sound macho or tuff, it also seemed like he was trying to force an accent instead of letting it flow naturally. It just sounded strange and unnatural in my opinion.

I agree with Legion on this one.

The Kickstarter video voices all sounded far too clean and somewhat "hollywood"ised.

However if we can use 3D chat, character voices will be mostly be our own voices in game correct? This brings about an even bigger issue, as the majority of voices heard in game could end up being non american and significantly YOUNGER than they should be.

(you kids know who you are).....

As always I have complete faith in the Dev team and I'm sure it'll all work out ok in the end.

crazychester1247
05-21-2016, 01:21 PM
I agree with Legion on this one.

The Kickstarter video voices all sounded far too clean and somewhat "hollywood"ised.

However if we can use 3D chat, character voices will be mostly be our own voices in game correct? This brings about an even bigger issue, as the majority of voices heard in game could end up being non american and significantly YOUNGER than they should be.

(you kids know who you are).....

As always I have complete faith in the Dev team and I'm sure it'll all work out ok in the end.

Well during the war their were plenty of immigrants fighting on both sides. As far as the kids thing goes I doubt their will be a ton of 12 year olds trying to 360 no-scope someone on the battlefield.

Legion
05-21-2016, 02:21 PM
http:// pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ling201/test3materials/americandialects.htm ( http://pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ling201/test3materials/americandialects.htm)

Nice post, but some of the pronunciation are wrong, at least where I'm from anyway. Good find though.

A. P. Hill
05-21-2016, 03:23 PM

Seriously? Someone tried to put to words how Americans speak? LOL.

General. Jackson
05-21-2016, 11:58 PM
Need an Aussie accent, The Royal Australian Army boys can help ;)

Fun Fact: One of our members is a singer (aka. has access to voice equipment)

Legion
05-22-2016, 12:21 AM
Need an Aussie accent, The Royal Australian Army boys can help ;)

Fun Fact: One of our members is a singer (aka. has access to voice equipment)

I think it's just going to be historical accents.