PDA

View Full Version : Authentic campaigner

[RG]Chewie
01-03-2016, 10:17 PM
I hope you guys have had the opportunity to browse through this forum. Its one of the best out there regarding authentic portrayals of the civil war soldier.
http://authentic-campaigner.com/

LukeYoung
01-27-2016, 04:14 AM
Probably one of the best research resources out there yet they cant take the time too go threw it and ask for help for this game development. Me myself i go threw it all the time too help figure out my impressions for reenacting for the time period / battle / unit , i would be portraying at the certain event i would be going to.
Really hope y'all take the time to give this thread a chance.

RhettVito
01-27-2016, 04:29 AM
Chewie;19492']I hope you guys have had the opportunity to browse through this forum. Its one of the best out there regarding authentic portrayals of the civil war soldier.
http://authentic-campaigner.com/

I'm with u on that if there would be any question I have that I don't know the answer to for civil war and all I would go to them I would hope to see the Dev's will go on there and ask if they have any question about a pacific uniform or accoutrement . I have been researching the Impressions for both U.S and C.S regiments that were in the ''Maryland Campaign'' from talking to some of the guys on The Authentic-Campaigner just like myself there is alot of hardcore guys on there that wanna look as historically accurate as possible . Which I think as [CG] has said ''Campfire Games is devoted to presenting the gruesome and glorious elements of the period, while maintaining the highest level of historical accuracy and realism.'' So with all being said and done I think this game will achieve historical accuracy and realism we can't be to fast to judge at its current state .Yet over time I know this game will surpass all other civil war games ever made to this point. Thank you and have a blessed day/night when ever your reading this .

LukeYoung
01-27-2016, 04:35 AM
I'm with u on that if there would be any question I have that I don't know the answer to for civil war and all I would go to them I would hope to see the Dev's will go on there and ask if they have any question about a pacific uniform or accoutrement . I have been researching the Impressions for both U.S and C.S regiments that were in the ''Maryland Campaign'' from talking to some of the guys on The Authentic-Campaigner just like myself there is alot of hardcore guys on there that wanna look as historically accurate as possible . Which I think as [CG] has said ''Campfire Games is devoted to presenting the gruesome and glorious elements of the period, while maintaining the highest level of historical accuracy and realism.'' So with all being said and done I think this game will achieve historical accuracy and realism we cant be to fast to judge at its current state .Yet over time I know this game will surpass all other civil war games ever made to this point. Thank you and have a blessed day/night when ever your reading this .

And people wounder why Rhett is so into this hobby and has a passion for reenacting , learned it from me :D
But all kidding aside please check it out , or even ask around on the Website linked above.

RhettVito
01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
And people wounder why Rhett is so into this hobby and has a passion for reenacting , learned it from me :D
But all kidding aside please check it out , or even ask around on the Website linked above.

Yep this is true

thomas aagaard
01-29-2016, 02:55 AM
I can only agree that the authentic campaigner site is the place to go for information about the material culture or drill.

Challis89
01-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Wow great site plenty of excellent reading :-D

thomas aagaard
01-30-2016, 08:41 PM
Hope the devs read their articles... would make sure some of the typical Reenactorisms will be avoided.
Like how to do:
"support arms",
shoulder arm when following the musket manual of arms,
right shoulder shift arms...
just to mention 3 that are often done wrong...

LukeYoung
01-31-2016, 12:56 AM
Hope the devs read their articles... would make sure some of the typical Reenactorisms will be avoided.
Like how to do:
"support arms",
shoulder arm when following the musket manual of arms,
right shoulder shift arms...
just to mention 3 that are often done wrong...

It is very very very often done wrong and the main one that is done wrong is the support arms , the way most people who do it is slightly more comfortable then the correct way of doing , that is probably one of the main reasons it has become a reenactorisms.
But thatis why those who are looking to get more of a experience out of it choose the more authentic groups who do enforce you to do it correctly.

thomas aagaard
01-31-2016, 07:42 PM
When looking at period pictures there are slightly differences in how the positions are done... And I totally agree that changing things a bit sometimes makes it more comfortable.
Some are also influences on what gear you are carrying.

Now the way some reenactors do right shouldershift arms make no sense and is ineffective compared to the correct one.

One issue is the fact that most reenactores are way bigger than the soldiers back then. And even when they are not, many are something like 10-15cm taller. This do change things.
(Iam 180cm and 80kg and I would about fit the largest size of sackcoat issued to union solders)

Anyway, it is a great site for information on drill.

A. P. Hill
01-31-2016, 07:47 PM
There is always that odd occurrence that a wet plate gets posted in reverse as well. It's been known to happen.

thomas aagaard
01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
Yep, one important detail that one should always be careful of.

Leifr
01-31-2016, 09:48 PM
There is always that odd occurrence that a wet plate gets posted in reverse as well. It's been known to happen.

If I may correct you here Mr Hill; wet plate photography will always depict the reverse of what is in front of the lens. There is no mirror internal within the camera body to correctly orientate the image before it hits the light sensitive silver nitrate solution. Unless I have mistaken your post and you are suggesting that mistakes are made because people incorrectly reverse an ambrotype/ferrotype digitally, in which case I agree.

A. P. Hill
01-31-2016, 09:56 PM
I appreciate it Leifr, I understand the lack of internal mirrors.

I'm saying the "negatives" get reversed at printing.