PDA

View Full Version : Idea for an ingame prisioner system.

crazychester1247
01-12-2016, 06:37 AM
I was thinking earlier today and I had a thought, I was just looking at the forums and thought, "Wouldn't it be more awesome and realistic if we could surrender, or accept an enemies surrender?". Then I paced around for an hour and a half and worked out a system that might work. Granted all my knowledge about game design is from a half year course i took in High School. Obviously for the system to work players have to have a benifit to surrendering instead of fighting to the last man, and the capturing party has to have a reason to capture them instead of killing them, and most importantly not boring. So here's a very rough idea of how the system would work. it's quite complex so I suggest reading it all. Devs pay close attention.

1. The enemy decides to surrender, and hits a button or two and drops his weapons and holds up his arms. At this point the opposing force can decide to accept the surrender or kill them. If they accept the surrender the capturing company gets a morale boost (I use morale as an all-purpose term meaning what ever stat or stats the devs think is appropriate) If they choose to kill them they receive a morale penalty.

2. If the surrender is accepted the surrendering force loses control of their avatars and respawn slightly faster than normal and they lose tickets as normal.

3. At this point the surrendering group has lost control of their avatars, and using some simple A.I ( I know you devs don't want A.I but this feature might be to awesome to not have it) the capturing party can command them to move around to where they want them to.

4. Here's where it gets awesome if the prisoners are rescued from captivity by their allies players (possibly only players from the original or rescuing companies) on their side who are waiting to respawn can choose to instantly take control of the former captives avatars, and they get their guns back... somehow, and can continue fighting.

So basically you can choose to surrender with the chance that your team can get their lost tickets back if their avatars are rescued.
If your a dev and you like the concept but don't like the implementation, fell free to change it your the one making the game. Regardless you can't disagree that taking captives wouldn't be awesome.

crazychester1247
01-12-2016, 06:56 AM
and if there already is a planed system I haven't heard about it so if there is one please have mercy on my soul.:(

and if you have any questions or comments feel free to ask me, though be aware I haven't thought of any specifics. :)

R21
01-12-2016, 07:10 AM
I'd like to see surrendering as an option/feature, but like you say there need to be mechanics in place that make it worth while for both sides.

I put forward the idea of people surrendering and being taken to the enemies Flag bearer (at which point they de-spawn and get put into the spawn queue):

For surrendering a Players team wouldn't get as much of a ticket loss and his time in the spawn queue would be shorter and for accepting a surrender and taking a prisoner to a flag bearer that player would get a boost to their personal ticket count along with a Morale boost for that player and others around.

The problem with this system would be people getting taken prisoner but not being taken to a flag bearer or one being un-available (they could just run off but would be unarmed so would just end up suiciding or being shot anyway) and enemy teams circumventing this system by 'sitting' on Prisoners.

AI prisoners could be interesting but I don't know how well that'd perform (like 100 players + 15 AI that get spawned when a Squad surrenders) but if it were possible giving them some simple follow/stop path-finding so they could be taken to a flag bearer would be cool.

crazychester1247
01-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Yeah I agree with your points. I was thinking that the moment the surrender was accepted the... surrenderees would go back into the spawn queue and the prisioner A.I would kick in. Also I was assuming that 1 death= 1 ticket, and the captives wouldn't spawn in they'll be A.I taking control of a surrendering players avatar. But otherwise I like your system better.

Bravescot
01-12-2016, 07:46 AM
There are already threads to discuss this matter. Please take your ideas to them.