PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Co. B

Wallace
01-21-2016, 01:56 AM
http://www.loeser.us/flags/images/civil/regiments_n/2nd_wi_inf.gif
For The Union!
http://maritato.com/uploads/3/3/8/6/3386680/465960_orig.jpg?827

History

The Governor of Wisconsin, Alexander W. Randall, issued a call to arms throughout the state of Wisconsin following President Abraham Lincoln's April 15, 1861, proclamation for troops to put down the rebellion. Enough Wisconsin men enrolled to allow the formation of two regiments, one more than the single regiment quota from Lincoln's directive. The 2nd Wisconsin was primarily raised in Madison, Racine, Milwaukee, Oshkosh, and La Crosse. It assembled in Madison and was mustered into Federal service on June 11, 1861, as a three years regiment (reorganized from the original three months regiment). Governor Randall commissioned S. Park Coon, a 41-year-old native of New York and Wisconsin's attorney general prior to the war, as the new regiment's first colonel. The lieutenant colonel, Henry W. Peck, was an Ohioan who had graduated from West Point in 1851 and provided some professional military experience and training, versus the political appointee Coon.

The regiment was transported to Washington, D.C., and saw its first combat at the First Battle of Bull Run in July 1861 in a brigade under William T. Sherman. Coon, never comfortable in his role as a military man, resigned July 30 to return to politics. Peck and the major also resigned, all were considered victims of the regiment's poor performance at Bull Run. Three new field officers replaced them—Col. Edgar O'Connor, Lt. Col. Fairchild, and Maj. Thomas S. Allen. The appointment of O'Connor, married to a Southern woman and an outspoken Democrat, was met with sharp criticism in Wisconsin's media, particularly in the Republican newspapers. He would prove to be a brave and competent leader, however, and was killed in action in Virginia in late summer 1862. Lt. Col. Fairchild was promoted to the rank of full Colonel on September 8th, 1862 to become the third Commander of the 2nd Wisconsin Volunteers.

The regiment suffered severe casualties during the 1862 Northern Virginia Campaign, fighting against Stonewall Jackson's Confederates at the Battle of Groveton, and seeing more action at the Second Battle of Bull Run. During the subsequent Maryland Campaign, the 2nd Wisconsin attacked Turner's Gap during the Battle of South Mountain, and then again took high casualties in the Cornfield at Antietam.

Perhaps the regiment's finest hour came at Gettysburg, where it lost 77% of its strength (233 casualties out of 302 effectives) in stubborn fighting on McPherson's Ridge during the Iron Brigade's lengthy action on July 1, 1863. Colonel Fairchild lost an arm due to severe wound, and most of the line officers went down as well. The regiment reformed on Culp's Hill and entrenched for the rest of the battle. It later served in the Bristoe and Mine Run Campaigns.

Although the 2nd Wisconsin was able to replenish some of its losses, it was never the same fighting force again. The regiment was mustered out on July 2, 1864. New recruits and later enlistees were consolidated into a battalion which was amalgamated with the 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment on November 30, 1864.

Wallace
01-29-2016, 02:29 AM
reserved

Devmc99
01-29-2016, 02:32 AM
Good luck, black hats! Give them rebs hell!

Wallace
01-29-2016, 02:43 AM
Good luck, black hats! Give them rebs hell!
hope to serve beside you on the field

Wallace
01-31-2017, 04:28 PM
ah I need to brush the cobwebs off of this fourm

[WoR] Kiff
01-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Good luck :D

Wallace
01-31-2017, 04:31 PM
thank you :)

[WoR] Kiff
01-31-2017, 04:33 PM
thank you :)

If you ever need help setting something up if you use teamspeak feel free to give me a shout, I am happy to help in any way I can!

Wallace
01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Kiff;55136']If you ever need help setting something up if you use teamspeak feel free to give me a shout, I am happy to help in any way I can!

thank you I appreciate it. I will give you a holler if end up needing help

Shaw
02-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Good luck, old' Irons! I'll never forget the black hat brigade in North & South, hope to see a lot of them! RIP Gen.Reynolds