PDA

View Full Version : 29-01-2016 twenty-fifth field report: The Black Hats!

Fancy Sweetroll
01-28-2016, 11:21 PM
Twenty-fifth field report: The Black Hats! posted 29-01-2016 CLICK TO VIEW (http://www.warofrights.com/Fieldreport25.aspx)

Etherton
01-28-2016, 11:29 PM
Looking very good :D

Wallace
01-28-2016, 11:34 PM
soo happy these are in the game :D

Jagdmann
01-28-2016, 11:35 PM
Wow, great! What a nice bedtime sweet that is for me! Thank you for that report.
In the beginning here I wasn`t really sure which side I would enter later in the game, but it really might be the blues.
Anyway great report, I really like the effort put into the level of detail! Great work guys!

BTW: Any chance to see Maine Regts.? ...the 20th in the first place?

Salute!

GreyDog58
01-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Will this series be uploaded weekly? Or just from time to time.

TrustyJam
01-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Will this series be uploaded weekly? Or just from time to time.

From time to time. :)

- Trusty

LukeYoung
01-28-2016, 11:44 PM
The so called black hats still need a ton of work on the uniforms and authenticity of this particular unit.
here is a few idea's.

Ditch most of the hat brass and the feathers but leave some for the reason of some of the men did keep up with it and liked the style of it , most of that stuff was gone after a few months of them being issued it.

Ditch the gaiters , several written accounts of the men getting rid of them cause of the discomfort of them.

The "Hardee Hat" Would also not look that new , most of then men who was issued these would shape it to they're own style.

Just some constitutive criticism no need to be offended. Overall its some decent progress yall have made.
Thanks and have a nice day.

JaegerCoyote
01-28-2016, 11:58 PM
Nice

SemajRednaxela
01-29-2016, 12:06 AM
Oh you tease you........

Not quite panties sundering but not far off.

Mostly happy to see companies of over 20 men!!!!!

Mississippi
01-29-2016, 12:08 AM
Hardee hats looking good, now we just need some straw hats for the Confederates.

LukeYoung
01-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Hardee hats looking good, now we just need some straw hats for the Confederates.

O boy only if some people.......nevermind

[RG]Chewie
01-29-2016, 01:03 AM
They ditched the gaiters pretty early on from what i recall before the battle of antietam.. I read that in the iron brigade in civil war and memory by Lance j Herdegan. Looks great though.

zerosius
01-29-2016, 01:16 AM
Awesome!
Great to hear you got Markus Schmidt for the Soundtrack, too :)
I loved his work on the Anno Series.

Potus
01-29-2016, 01:18 AM
amazing!!! looking forward to the next rapport already :)

Devmc99
01-29-2016, 02:26 AM
Keep up the great work! :cool:

ImperfectPK
01-29-2016, 02:51 AM
Game looking great! Can't wait.

Zoranny
01-29-2016, 05:33 AM

Soulfly
01-29-2016, 07:14 AM
Awesome!

+1, amazing news indeed. And the effects look awesome and the death animations and movements and the smoke and.....

Bravescot
01-29-2016, 07:42 AM
I love how as soon as the Iron Brigade is announce the people reserving Wisconsin Companies spikes a little

Arkansan
01-29-2016, 09:33 AM
For those of you nitpicking over the tiny details, remember, there will be the option to customize your character's uniform in game. Also there might be regulations placed by your company C.O. regulating what you may, or may not remove from your uniform, like the gaiters.

William
01-29-2016, 10:20 AM
o m f g awsome shit :P :P :P

Maximus Decimus Meridius
01-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Looks really really awesome!

I agree with zerosius and soulfy he is a great choice!

Markus Schmidt
01-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Awesome!

Thank you! It's good to be here! :)

Morgan
01-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the update!

Simon445
01-29-2016, 02:00 PM
When your legs don't work as they used to before https://i.gyazo.com/6c6a3e52e0bad68422eb9abbf8204ffc.gif

-Mitchell-
01-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Outstanding work, as always!

David Dire
01-29-2016, 04:11 PM
I, admittedly, despite my allegiance, thoroughly enjoyed the "BOOM" as that company was utterly destroyed ;)

And good work on everything so far!

Galor
01-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Very well, i like it. :)

Brooklyn
01-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Nice to see the Iron Brigade.

NorwegianLeader
01-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Beautiful. Can't wait for this game.

Timeweever
01-29-2016, 07:30 PM
The so called black hats still need a ton of work on the uniforms and authenticity of this particular unit.
here is a few idea's.

Ditch most of the hat brass and the feathers but leave some for the reason of some of the men did keep up with it and liked the style of it , most of that stuff was gone after a few months of them being issued it.

Ditch the gaiters , several written accounts of the men getting rid of them cause of the discomfort of them.

The "Hardee Hat" Would also not look that new , most of then men who was issued these would shape it to they're own style.

Just some constitutive criticism no need to be offended. Overall its some decent progress yall have made.
Thanks and have a nice day.

To LukeYoung,
Way to nitpick, however I do not agree with some of your statements.

While the Gaiter's were hated they were still worn. They were issued them several times. Also it is fairly well documented that they wore them from the time of 2nd Bull run to Antietam.

As to the hats I disagree. They soldiers in the Iron Brigade very much loved the Hardee Hat.
The Model 1858 Hardee dress hat made the best impression. It was a showy black felt affair, looped up on the side with a brass eagle and trimmed with an infantry-blue cord, black plume, brass infantry bugle, company letter and regimental numeral. "We have a full blue suit, a fine black hat nicely trimmed with bugle and plate and ostrich feathers," boasted a proud 7th Wisconsin man to the folks back home (from The Iron Brigade in Civil War and Memory, Lance Herdegen page 94).It was an iconic hat and they knew it. They proceeded to wear them throughout the rest of the war even as the regiments were consolidated. I also think they would have kept the brass on as their are documented accounts of them keeping the core badges on them for the entire war once they had been issued. Why would they remove everything else but not that. Though granted I could see some removing some of the pieces or some falling off. I do not see that they would remove them as a large group though. If they were missing anything from the hat it was probably due to falling off due to hard use. If you go to the Veteran's Museum in Madison Wisconsin or the Civil War Museum in Kenosha Wisconsin you can find original Hardee Hats. They all still have almost, if not, all of the brass still on them.

To the developers:
I thought this 1st look at the Iron Brigade was awesome. I think it is great to see the care and detail you are putting into this project. I cannot wait to get into the game and get a chance to play as one of those "Damn Black Hats!"

Hinkel
01-29-2016, 10:39 PM
To LukeYoung,
Wait to nitpick, however you missed a more glaring discrepancy and I do not agree with some of your statements. At the time they were issued the gaiters they were also issued Navy Blue Trousers. They did not receive the light blue trousers until later in the war.

Thank you Timeweever, but you are not entirely correct here ;)

When John Gibbon took command of the Iron Brigade in May 1862, he outfitted the man with light blue trousers and removed the navy blue from the service.
You can also check original photos, taken in june/july 1862, showing the light blue federal trousers.
The 2nd Wisconsin was the only regiment left, which mostly used navy blue at Antietam.

https://i.gyazo.com/f0c8734a46465eeb59e1a8a50a848aa2.png

Timeweever
01-30-2016, 05:18 AM
Hinkel.

I have looked into it and you are correct per Alan Nolan's The Iron Brigade.

CybrSlydr
01-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Outstanding! :D

Personally, I'm stoked they have a soundtrack guy as music is a big thing for me. Great job guys!

Challis89
01-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Brilliant stuff guys keep up the good work. Hope we can get more snapshot vids the suspense is killing me to see more.

SemajRednaxela
01-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Well worth the wait.

Many thanks gentlemen. That all looks very impressive indeed.

thomas aagaard
01-30-2016, 09:27 PM
I love the movie.

but to join the nitpicking.

The 2nd, 5th, 6th and 7th Wisconsin used a drillbook called "Infantry tactics, compiled from Scott and Hardee for the use of Wisconsin Volunteers"
"written" by R.Chandler
(yes, the 5th Wis was not part of the brigade, but that are the regiments where I got clear info about this)

The relevant part in this specific case is the fact that it based on the manual of arms for muskets. So they should be carrying their muskets in the left hand.
(just like many CSA regiments)

7th Wisconsin (july 1862 I belive)

TrustyJam
01-31-2016, 05:37 AM
I love the movie.

but to join the nitpicking.

The 2nd, 5th, 6th and 7th Wisconsin used a drillbook called "Infantry tactics, compiled from Scott and Hardee for the use of Wisconsin Volunteers"
"written" by R.Chandler
(yes, the 5th Wis was not part of the brigade, but that are the regiments where I got clear info about this)

The relevant part in this specific case is the fact that it based on the manual of arms for muskets. So they should be carrying their muskets in the left hand.
(just like many CSA regiments)

7th Wisconsin (july 1862 I belive)

That will require quite a bit of work to get in there in terms of animations. Need a whole other set of transition animations to get it working. That being said, we're very much aware of the drillbook and would like to support it eventually. :)

- Trusty

Jagdmann
01-31-2016, 07:59 AM
My question got lost in some other thread. So I`d like to try again here:

Are there any further Stretch-Goals planned or likely to come? Just would like to know as we achieved the last 140k one now, thanks to this wonderful community and the open-hearted devs and mods in here!

Salute to you all!

BTW: Another "great Report" from my side! :cool:

TrustyJam
01-31-2016, 08:18 AM
My question got lost in some other thread. So I`d like to try again here:

Are there any further Stretch-Goals planned or likely to come? Just would like to know as we achieved the last 140k one now, thanks to this wonderful community and the open-hearted devs and mods in here!

Salute to you all!

BTW: Another "great Report" from my side! :cool:

Not at the moment, no. It goes without saying, though, that the more we'll manage to gather, the better, more detailed and polished the final product will be. :)

- Trusty

Historical Player
01-31-2016, 03:56 PM
Maybe you can use any extra money as starting funds for your next project! I would love to see a whole series of Civil War games from Campfire Games!

TrustyJam
01-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Maybe you can use any extra money as starting funds for your next project! I would love to see a whole series of Civil War games from Campfire Games!

No. Every cent gathered goes to the production of War of Rights.

- Trusty

Bravescot
01-31-2016, 04:10 PM

With the reply from Trusty maybe they can use it to work on planning a new campaign?

Maximus Decimus Meridius
01-31-2016, 04:34 PM
No. Every cent gathered goes to the production of War of Rights.

- Trusty

can you post in a extra thread where you money went? Only some point who we wouldn't think because it's not so obviously. and i don't need to see your bills. (Because i don't want to pay them :P )

I am really interested in where the money went by a Game development ( I know this couldn't be wronger but i can't find the mistake because i am ill and full with medicine.)

I thought about to study game design but i changed my mind but i still interested in.

Would be very interesting but i can understand when you devs don't want to show that.

TrustyJam
01-31-2016, 04:58 PM
can you post in a extra thread where you money went? Only some point who we wouldn't think because it's not so obviously. and i don't need to see your bills. (Because i don't want to pay them :P )

I am really interested in where the money went by a Game development ( I know this couldn't be wronger but i can't find the mistake because i am ill and full with medicine.)

I thought about to study game design but i changed my mind but i still interested in.

Would be very interesting but i can understand when you devs don't want to show that.

No, that's not going to happen. Information like that is not for the public to see. I can say (as we did in the Kickstarter trailer) that the money will be going towards pretty much all development branches of the game that need it.

- Trusty

Maximus Decimus Meridius
01-31-2016, 05:20 PM
ok thank you

Sgt.Kar98
02-02-2016, 02:09 AM
Been a little away from the game,so I didn't knew what was going on. My god,dat video.

rebellax
02-03-2016, 12:30 AM
Awesome! Keep up the good work guys.:D

Landree
02-07-2016, 07:23 AM
BOOM!

Well done, dev team. Can't wait to see the next episodes.

Legion
02-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Can't wait for the next episode, hopefully it's of a southern unit. Maybe Hood's Brigade or Louisiana Tigers?

Hinkel
02-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Can't wait for the next episode, hopefully it's of a southern unit. Maybe Hood's Brigade or Louisiana Tigers?

There will be a confederate episode one day, yes. (Texas or Louisiana Tigers)
But the next episode might be a union one again, showing an important job on the battlefield :)

Legion
02-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Cool can't wait to see it, whats the time frame to release new episodes? Are yall gonna release one every month or just whenever? The sooner the better I think :)

Landree
02-09-2016, 03:58 AM
I know when they make 'em because they post them on this here forum. I check the forum. If there ain't a new update, then there ain't a new update. If there is; there is.

Locke1740
02-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Now only if y'all can make the 1st (Orr's) South Carolina Rifles, which I like to call, "The Black Hats of the South!"

JanMZ
02-19-2016, 07:30 PM
They would march like that towards a cannon and risk having whole companies shredded to bits ? Talk about cannon fodder....

It looks like an extremely idiotic thing to do. Is that really supposed to portray realism ?

Edit: This is my first post and i almost forgot to commend you on the work...ehm...Art that you've managed to produce so far.
I've been following your project for about a year or so and am very impressed by the attention to detail and overall fidelity in every sense. Very well done, devs ! :D

Landree
02-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Yep. It happened.

A. P. Hill
02-22-2016, 01:25 PM
They would march like that towards a cannon and risk having whole companies shredded to bits ? Talk about cannon fodder....

It looks like an extremely idiotic thing to do. Is that really supposed to portray realism ?

Edit: This is my first post and i almost forgot to commend you on the work...ehm...Art that you've managed to produce so far.
I've been following your project for about a year or so and am very impressed by the attention to detail and overall fidelity in every sense. Very well done, devs ! :D

First, Yes, it really happened that way and portrays exact realism, except for the number of men involved.

Secondly, welcome to the site.

crazychester1247
02-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Yeah that happened frequently. I think it was just a way for the devs to show off some cool death animations though.
Also I can't wait to see if the devs add in the bulletstorm like body destruction mechanics they talked about once.

55thNY Col J-Man11
02-22-2016, 10:14 PM
They all look awesome but I'm confused... for the videos and everything are those bots or?..

Hinkel
02-22-2016, 11:08 PM
They all look awesome but I'm confused... for the videos and everything are those bots or?..

Those are no bots, they are called actors.
Its an ingame cinematic, using various gameplay features and options.

JaegerCoyote
02-23-2016, 06:19 PM
I just now noticed that you showed the Lorenz model in the field report, which I'm so happy to see, It looks awesome.

Hinkel
02-23-2016, 06:54 PM
I just now noticed that you showed the Lorenz model in the field report, which I'm so happy to see, It looks awesome.

Yeah, its a lovely rifle! :)

Here is a little close up screeny:

SemajRednaxela
02-23-2016, 07:38 PM
oh my oh my....

I see some bayonet drill in the background.

you tease Hinkel you

crazychester1247
02-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Hey Hinkel, remember when you had that interview with shakebake and said you wanted at least 200 men at least to participate in battle, did you mean 200 v 200 or just 200 total? Also is their any new estimate for the minimum player count on historical battles.

Keep up the good work on the game by the way!:D

Challis89
02-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Hey Hinkel, remember when you had that interview with shakebake and said you wanted at least 200 men at least to participate in battle, did you mean 200 v 200 or just 200 total? Also is their any new estimate for the minimum player count on historical battles.

Keep up the good work on the game by the way!:D

I hope daily it's 200 v 200 anyrhing smaller won't do historical battles justice given the size and amazing detail put into them :-)

A. P. Hill
02-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Let's see if we can match the World of Tanks membership. They claim 2 million world wide. :D

Those numbers would make for some great battles.

SemajRednaxela
02-23-2016, 10:57 PM
200 v 200 surely....

And no, I'm not calling anyone Shirley

Hinkel
02-23-2016, 11:11 PM
oh my oh my....

I see some bayonet drill in the background.

you tease Hinkel you

Uhh... eh... I am not teasing! ;) :p

RhettVito
03-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Uhh... eh... I am not teasing! ;) :p

me soo ready for next update

Hinkel
03-01-2016, 01:57 PM

I was inspired by this btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUHnL6R39VM&feature=youtu.be&t=113

A. P. Hill
03-01-2016, 05:58 PM
I know the scene well!

Locke1740
03-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Garnet never had a chance to be explored by viewers, but an epic death

JaegerCoyote
03-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Garnet never had a chance to be explored by viewers, but an epic death

Wasn't the riderless horse that came out of smoke in the movie, Garnett's?

A. P. Hill
03-03-2016, 12:37 AM
I do believe that's what was being represented by that. Garnett wasn't the only officer to ride, so it could have been any number of general's horse, but I do believe since they were focused on Garnett at that point, it's a safe bet.

Locke1740
03-03-2016, 01:15 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Garnett's horse, it did come out of the smoke from the cannon that just killed Garnett

Legion
03-03-2016, 03:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Garnett's horse, it did come out of the smoke from the cannon that just killed Garnett

It was, it was to show that he died.

crazychester1247
03-03-2016, 05:01 AM
I hope officers can do the Lo Armistead thing and put their hats on their swords. That would be awesome.

Locke1740
03-03-2016, 12:26 PM
I hope officers can do the Lo Armistead thing and put their hats on their swords. That would be awesome.

That would be amazing, if you could lead some of the best charges in game like that, it would be amazing

JaegerCoyote
03-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I looked up and it was done to show that his body was never found.

crazychester1247
03-03-2016, 10:04 PM
I hope they add in tons of emotes to use, like Dark Souls I or something like that.

Willy The Walrus
03-08-2016, 09:30 PM
>^< Please I need field report 26 or else I will die!

Hinkel
03-08-2016, 09:56 PM
>^< Please I need field report 26 or else I will die!

Soon.. ;)

crazychester1247
03-08-2016, 10:27 PM
I'm assuming the Carney incident delayed you.

Also 26 divided by 2 is 13 if you put a dash in the middle it's 1-3. Half Life 2 episode 3 Confirmed everybody!:p

Willy The Walrus
03-08-2016, 11:54 PM
I'm assuming the Carney incident delayed you.

Also 26 divided by 2 is 13 if you put a dash in the middle it's 1-3. Half Life 2 episode 3 Confirmed everybody!:p

Holy shit!

Willy The Walrus
03-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Soon.. ;)

It brings me hope now to go back to waiting mode ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)