PDA

View Full Version : More character models?

Gundhi
02-01-2016, 12:31 PM
I would like to see a larger verity of different body models for the characters. Since everyone isn't the same length or width in real life (Obviously). I think it would be a nice detail that would make the game feel more realistic.
Thank you for making this game a reality, I'm looking forward to it!

thomas aagaard
02-01-2016, 01:47 PM
I agree - as long as we don't get 300 pond privates... like you se at reenactments.
The largest sizes of uniformes issued by the federal government had a breast measure of 42" Think that tell us a lot about the size of the soldiers.

Also I hope the devs remember that the average soldiers was not 180cm tall (or whatever is the average in the US today)

I don't have a number of the civil war, but danish soldiers in 1864 was 166cm tall on average...

Bravescot
02-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Bloody hell.....I'd have been a giant! I'm 185cm (US average is 177 cm in 2015) with a breast measurement of 43''! Goes to show how the style of life back then really stunned growth

thomas aagaard
02-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Yep. Iam 180cm and about 80kg... and my frock coat is size 42

Uniform jackets was made in four sizes.
Breast massure was 36, 38, 40, and 42

When new uniforms was shipped to a unit they where not shipped to size but by a standard spread.
20%, 40%, 30%, 10%
So 40% of the men was issued a size 38

An interesting detail is that the quatermaster department had to change the standard for the men in the west and they where issued larger shoes.

btw some more info can be fond here:
http://www.cjdaley.com/issuesizes.htm
http://www.cjdaley.com/issueshipping.htm

They can naturally all be found in the relevant quartermaster manual.

SemajRednaxela
02-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Agreed. Perhaps less on the 'larger diamiter size' though.

And me too. I'm 6,5ft and the tallest enlisted rifleman in 1800 wasn't even 6ft. Would have been the guards or heavy cav for me 200 years ago....

Hinkel
02-01-2016, 02:51 PM
While the idea is great, its always causing a problem for game developers.
Different soldier lengths would require different set of animations as well as different hit boxes. So the amount of work which would be needed for that has to be balanced against the benefit of such a feature ;)

thomas aagaard
02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Understandable...

Make the model be 165-170cm tall and able to fit a size 38-40 and Iam happy.

LukeYoung
02-01-2016, 05:50 PM
They're is a lot of different sizes back then and surprisingly a decent amount of bulky guys.
There is several different letters and accounts of guys being issued size 48 blouses, and you would also have stuff sent from home.
I have a great picture of a federal soldier late in the war who looked to be a decent size man but i would have to scrounge it up and post a link to it.

Henronicus
02-02-2016, 12:25 AM
While the idea is great, its always causing a problem for game developers.
Different soldier lengths would require different set of animations as well as different hit boxes. So the amount of work which would be needed for that has to be balanced against the benefit of such a feature ;)

Perhaps it could be a stretch goal in the future then? It would be great to see, but not exactly necessary, so it should definitely low on the list of priorities. Perhaps start with two or three body sizes and later in development or post-release make some more?

Gundhi
02-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Perhaps it could be a stretch goal in the future then? It would be great to see, but not exactly necessary, so it should definitely low on the list of priorities. Perhaps start with two or three body sizes and later in development or post-release make some more?

Good idea!

Challis89
02-09-2016, 11:24 PM
I like the idea but prehaps something to be worked on after the games in full swing when the team has less pressing issues to deal with given the time needed and implement a character editor? I understand naturally the time consuming nature of such things.

crazychester1247
02-10-2016, 04:26 AM
I have a question for the devs. Will you be able to make African-American soldiers, or Native American and Latino soldiers? I know the Union didn't start recruiting African-Americans until may of 1863 but i'm just asking if it'll be a cosmetic option for anyone. Also will their be female soldiers? I know it's historically inaccurate but it would be nice to see.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
02-10-2016, 07:03 AM
I think you can answer some questions by yourself

what's the goal of the devs? they aim to create a so historical accurate game which could be used by teachers.

that should be enough. now it's your turn ;)

crazychester1247
02-10-2016, 08:37 AM
I think you can answer some questions by yourself

what's the goal of the devs? they aim to create a so historical accurate game which could be used by teachers.

that should be enough. now it's your turn

So their won't be any women or African-American character models but their will be Latino and Native-American characters.

P.S I don't know the histories of many units but I know thier were Latinos and Native-Americans on both sides. :confused: I also don't know if there were any units of Latinos or Native-Americans at Antietam

thomas aagaard
02-10-2016, 09:55 AM
The number of "latinos" in the US at that time was limited.
Most immigrants from Portugal and Spain went to their colonies... and in limited numbers compared to the numbers who went to the 13 colonies.
The total number of men of military age of spanish descent in the CSA was rather limited.

Florida only raised about 15.000men and Texas about 70.000, but most of them served closer to home.
(the texas brigade in AoNV is the obvious exception, but we are talking about 850men at Antietam.)

Large scale immigration from the former Spanish colonies didn't really start until the early 20th century.

Both sides had Native-Americans units... just not at Antietam.

Female soldiers would be historical, but since we are talking maybe a few hundred in total, they would make up such a small % that a battle with a hundred players would statistically not have a female...

And since the laws only allowed for white male soldiers... they had to pass as that... so their "model" should not be that different than other models...

By the time of Antietam the law still required you to be a white male to be able to serve in the armies.

So for the first version of the game that focus on the Maryland campaign in 1862 it would not make much sense using time on none white soldiers.

crazychester1247
02-10-2016, 10:03 AM
As I said I don't know that much about specific units. I know alot about the war in general and i could name all of the major battles and important figures, and know the locations of some battles like the back of my hand but I don't know alot of the small details.

Challis89
02-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Female soldiers would be historical, but since we are talking maybe a few hundred in total, they would make up such a small % that a battle with a hundred players would statistically not have a female.

Interesting didn't know any served in the ranks any more info on them? heard of some as partisans but even that was small in number.

thomas aagaard
02-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Officially they didn't. But some managed to pass as men and join up anyway.
One actually became a member of GAR after the war...

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/untold-stories/female-soldiers-in-the-civil.html?referrer=https://www.google.dk/
http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1993/spring/women-in-the-civil-war-1.html

Landree
02-10-2016, 05:43 PM
I know free blacks and some slave blacks served under as with the Confederate armies, much to the shock and chagrin of northern media.

A. P. Hill
02-10-2016, 06:25 PM
The National Archives is always a great read.

Challis89
02-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Officially they didn't. But some managed to pass as men and join up anyway.
One actually became a member of GAR after the war...

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/untold-stories/female-soldiers-in-the-civil.html?referrer=https://www.google.dk/
http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1993/spring/women-in-the-civil-war-1.html

Cheers appreciate it.

Mississippi
02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Straw Hat models for the Confederates.