PDA

View Full Version : Buy my first Musket - Need some help

David Dire
02-02-2016, 12:58 AM
I'm probably going to get it in a few months (saving up money for it) but until, I do want to ask: Does anybody have experience with this site? Are the muskets actually worth the price?

http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket14.htm

thomas aagaard
02-02-2016, 01:50 AM
What are you going to use it for?
What periode are you looking for?
What model are you looking for?

Devmc99
02-02-2016, 02:23 AM
I heard that site isn't the best for buying black powder weapons. Try a website that sells armisport made guns.

thomas aagaard
02-02-2016, 03:30 AM
What he linked to is not a firearm but an expensive prop.

JaegerCoyote
02-02-2016, 03:58 AM
It says the vent hole isn't drilled, and you need to have a gunsmith drill it and test it.

RhettVito
02-02-2016, 06:40 AM
If you have facebook look up this page and ask for one someone in there might have one https://www.facebook.com/groups/tradeblanket/

David Dire
02-02-2016, 01:43 PM
It says the vent hole isn't drilled, and you need to have a gunsmith drill it and test it.
I know. I'm not a professional with blackpowder weapons, not having fired one yet, so I wanted to talk with somebody who is, per se, an expert before firing, so that's not really a problem with me.

If you have facebook look up this page and ask for one someone in there might have one https://www.facebook.com/groups/tradeblanket/
I'll check it out. Thanks.

I heard that site isn't the best for buying black powder weapons. Try a website that sells armisport made guns.
I'll look into it, and ask around a bit more, then. Bright side is I can at least get a refund if the Charleville isn't great.

What are you going to use it for?
What periode are you looking for?
What model are you looking for?
And I was thinking about getting just what was linked: A French 1766 Charleville. I guess I don't have a "Practical use", and it's more of an interest/hobby.

SemajRednaxela
02-02-2016, 02:23 PM
I have used military heritage a couple of times for my light infantry rifle and new Land cavalry pistols. Both lovely pieces that have served me well for nearly 10 years.

As stated above. The vent hole is not drilled so that needs to be added, and if it's a flintlock I'd certain ally recommend you get the steel hardened too.

David Dire
02-02-2016, 02:26 PM
I have used military heritage a couple of times for my light infantry rifle and new Land cavalry pistols. Both lovely pieces that have served me well for nearly 10 years.

As stated above. The vent hole is not drilled so that needs to be added, and if it's a flintlock I'd certain ally recommend you get the steel hardened too.

Ah, good to hear. Also, do you have any recommendations of guides/sites/videos to help me get started on firing one (The shooting, loading and maintaining part, of course, not the vent hole) I've looked pretty far into it, buuut... just to be safe.

SemajRednaxela
02-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Best advice I can honeslty give is just join a living history group.

David Dire
02-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Best advice I can honeslty give is just join a living history group.
Alright, then. Thanks for all your help.

Mississippi
02-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Buy a 1841 Mississippi Rifle!

Ginger_
02-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Hey mate, I can't offer you any actual advice on where to pick up a blackpowder. But I would suggest talking to a bloke called 350.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cube210

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/member.php?733-Cube210

Honestly, when it comes to guns. He's the go to guy for me. He should be able to lend you a hand.

David Dire
02-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Hey mate, I can't offer you any actual advice on where to pick up a blackpowder. But I would suggest talking to a bloke called 350.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cube210

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/member.php?733-Cube210

Honestly, when it comes to guns. He's the go to guy for me. He should be able to lend you a hand.
Alright, I've dropped him a PM.

Cube210
02-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Please anyone if you got questions ask 'em.

If I have no clue I will be honest and tell you straight up, but if I know it I will do everything I can to set you straight with CORRECT info as compared to what is common on the internet.

It is no bother to me compared to ignorance.

I plan on getting a Springfield 1816 (flintlock)
and I will be using it. Target shooting, hunting, and war should the Alamo need us again.

Might be silly and try to sabot a Lyman 525 slug just to try it for shits and giggles.

CjkCJkCjk
02-03-2016, 12:53 AM
Lol my mom asked why i wasn't getting a musket for christmas, and I looked at her in shock XD

ThePatriot98
02-03-2016, 01:23 AM
I'm in same shoe as you, recommend getting to join a reenactment group like I will and you will be fine! I've been researching flintlock rifles for quite a time now, and the military heritage along with veteran arms, and Middlesex Village Trading Company, are all made in India guns. Now some people say it's quality sucks, some people say better than Italian models. I honestly haven't had experience with either of them, so I can't really tell which is good and which is not. But if you are into flintlocks Pedersoli guns I think are pretty good, but they usually around $1k or so.Guns made in India are usually around $500-600 so it's somewhat cheaper. I would not recommend getting Chiappa/Armi Sport at all, they even implant "secret" chips into their guns like WTF! I could also recommend you to take a look at taylors company firearms, they important guns from pedersoli, etc, both flintlocks, and from uberti wild west guns.

A. P. Hill
02-05-2016, 07:01 PM
One word of caution before you spend money on a musket. IF you're buying this so that you can join a reenactment group, you may want to decide which group you want to join first.

Many groups have a list of recommended/preferred equipment for their members. It would be a shame for you to spend close to $1500.oo (USD) on a long gun that a unit you want to join, may not allow you to use. This will cause you to have to spend another $1500.oo (USD) on the unit's preferred weapons.

David Dire
02-06-2016, 01:44 AM
One word of caution before you spend money on a musket. IF you're buying this so that you can join a reenactment group, you may want to decide which group you want to join first.

Many groups have a list of recommended/preferred equipment for their members. It would be a shame for you to spend close to $1500.oo (USD) on a long gun that a unit you want to join, may not allow you to use. This will cause you to have to spend another $1500.oo (USD) on the unit's preferred weapons.

I don't think I'll be getting into reenacting just yet, so this is more just for myself as a hobby.

A. P. Hill
02-06-2016, 01:55 AM
Well then, you may want to check these folks out. (http://www.chiappafirearms.com/armi-sport)

Legion
02-07-2016, 10:55 PM
If you are lookin to fire it and a good quality rifle I recommend Pedersoli rifles, they have a lot to choose from but they are expensive. If your looking for a wall hanger just get a kit and build it yourself its cheaper in most cases.

PGT Beauregard
02-08-2016, 07:51 AM
This is also a good site if you don't want to spend a lot of money: veteranarms.com
Yes these are made in India, but they are very good muskets, I bought my 1728 French musket from them and am completely satisfied.
There are some in the reenactment community that are really anal about Indian made muskets for no good reason. These muskets are completely safe and have been used for many years without problem.
In fact the only failure I remember occurred when someone loaded 9 blank charges in one and it blew up. Even a Pedersoli would blow up with a massive charge like that.
I have been shooting black powder since I was 15, I am now 51, and I love it. I hope that you will too.

Legion
02-08-2016, 09:19 AM
In fact the only failure I remember occurred when someone loaded 9 blank charges in one and it blew up. Even a Pedersoli would blow up with a massive charge like that.

They can handle some powerful loads but not that big I think.
Also a tip for the OP if you plan on shooting it make sure it's safe to shoot and never use smokeless powder only use black-powder.
check out iraqveteran8888 on youtube if you want to see the danger of using smokeless in a black-powder firearm.