PDA

View Full Version : 1st Charleston Infantry - Company A - C

Wrabbit
02-02-2016, 04:46 AM
1st Infantry Battalion, known as the Charleston Battalion and Gaillard's , was organized at Charleston, South Carolina, during the spring of 1862. Its six companies contained men from Sumter, Union, and Calhoun Counties. The unit was assigned to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and served in the Charleston area.

The 1st Charleston High Command
Col: Wrabbit
Lt.Col: John Wayne
Major: Miku

Company A Roster (17)
--------------COs------------------
CPT: DiggerTheDwarf

1.LT:

2.LT: Elias

---------------NCOs---------------
ENGR.QM.SGT: Noire

CORP: Bill

CORP: Digmar

----------------Enlisted------------
Lance CORP: Vallhalla

Lance.CORP: Blitzpang

2.PVT: Gundamc2

2.PVT: Ser Wall

2.PVT: Gamer

2.PVT: Droopy

2.PV Total_Domination

2.PV TotalHakaari

CDT: Andrew115343

CDT: Shaggy

----------Camp Followers--------
Inno

Shingi-Sama

Company B Roster (8)
-----------Officers-----------
CPT: Hruon (45)

1.LT: Len (36)

2.LT: Red_Applez_7302

------------NCO's------------
1.SGT: Tavi (12)

QM.SGT: Kylo (39)

2.SGT: Ben Harris (37)

1.CORP: Salva (38)

1stCORP: SirSir (43)

-----------Enlisted-----------

2.PVT: Tiger (3)

2.PVT: 20jack (3)

CDT: Lufian (4)

CDT: TheHoodeh (1)

Company C. "Inactive"
--------------COs------------------

1.LT: Scottyboy

---------------NCOs---------------

----------------Enlisted------------

----------Camp Followers--------

1st Charleston Rankings

-----------------------

RANK | ABBREVATION | AMMOUNT (MAXIMUM) | ASSIGNED BY

-----------------------

Volunteer | VOL | INFINITE | Officer Commanding (Company)

2nd Class Private | 2.PVT | INFINITE | Officer Commanding (Company)

1st Class Private | 1.PVT | INFINITE | Officer Commanding (Company)

Lance Corporal | Lance.CORP | 4 per Company | Officer Commanding (Company)

Corporal | Cpl. | 2 per Company | Officer Commanding (Company)

2nd Sergeant (Sergeant) | 2.SGT | 2 per Company | Officer Commanding (Company)

1st Sergeant | 1.SGT | 1 per Company | Officer Commanding (Company)

Quartermaster Sergeant | QM.SGT | 1 per Company | Officer Commanding (Company)

Ordnance Sergeant | ORD.SGT | 1 per Regiment | Commanding Officer (Regiment)

Sergeant Major | SGT.MAJ | 1 per Regiment | Commanding Officer (Regiment)

2nd Lieutenant | 2.LT | 1 per Company | Officer In Command (Regimental)

1st Lieutenant | 1.LT | 1 per Company | Officer In Command (Regimental)

Captain | CPT | 1 per Company | Commanding Officer (Regiment)

Major | MAJ | 1 per Regiment | Commanding Officer (Regiment)

Lieutenant Colonel | LT.COL | 1 per Regiment | Commanding Officer (Regiment)

Colonel | COL | 1 per Regiment | Commanding General (Brigade)

-----------------------
Notes:

-Volunteers (VOL) are the lowest rank for ALL new joining enlisted soldiers.
-Quartermaster Sergeants (QM.SGT) and Ordnance Sergeants (ORD.SGT) are equal in command to a Corporal (CORP).
-A Commanding Officer (CO) is the Colonel (COL) of the Regiment.
-An Officer Commanding (OC) is the Captain (CPT) of a Company.
-An Officer In Command (OIC) is a general term for anyone in a high-command position of the regiment.
-A Commanding General (CG) is the term used for the General dispensing commands to the Regiment.
-A 2nd Sergeant (2.SGT) is equal in command to a 1st Sergeant (1.SGT), however, the 1st Sergeant (1.SGT) is the senior of the two.
-A Sergeant Major (SGT.MAJ) manages the Regiment's unofficial affairs and assists in collecting attendance records from the other Sergeants (SGT) and is higher in command than any other Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO).
-Ordnance Sergeants (ORD.SGT) and Quartermaster Sergeants (QM.SGT) do not generally take attendance, but officially manage supplies and munitions.
-The regimental Ordnance Sergeant (ORD.SGT) and regimental Quartermaster Sergeant (QM.SGT) pass down munitions and supplies to the company Quartermaster Sergeant (QM.SGT) to be distributed among the men.
-Ordnance Sergeants (ORD.SGT) manage munitions, arms, and supplies from the Ordnance Bureau.
-Ordnance Sergeants (ORD.SGT) officially aren't, "assigned TO" a Regiment, but rather are "assigned WITH" a Regiment and instead are "assigned TO the Ordnance Bureau."
-Ordnance Sergeant to each regiment, the acting appointees, authorized under General Orders, No. 24, current series, and made by colonels of regiments, will be reported

MacMillan
02-02-2016, 06:26 AM
You want to pick a Company for your Battalion, I think it's the benchmark for everyone to start out at Company level. My Battalion personally, is functioning at a Platoon level right now. A Battalion usually functions with 6-8 Companies, I took the liberty of doing some research on your Battalion to find out how it operated. It looks as though the 1st Charleston had 7 Companies. Here are the Companies and their respective names:

Company A - (also known as the Charleston Riflemen)
Company B - (also known as the Palmetto Guard or the Charleston Light Infantry)
Company C - (also known as the Irish Volunteers)
Company D - (also known as Sumter Guards)
Company E - (also known as the Calhoun Guards)
Company F - (also known as the German Fusiliers and Union Light Infantry Volunteers)
Company G - (also known as the Charleston Light Infantry)

The First Battalion of Virginian Regulars salutes you boys. We wish you the best of luck in the coming war, we know you Charleston boys will whip em' good - give em' hell South Carolina!

Welcome to the Confederacy and Godspeed,
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z368/BWToombs/grantbdy_zpsemjbpncl.png

Mississippi
02-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the Confederacy!

Wrabbit
02-16-2016, 07:07 PM
thak you for the Help. And the 1st Charleston Battalion Salutes you

A. P. Hill
02-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Congrats! Welcome to the CSA! !

Bravescot
02-16-2016, 08:05 PM
As MacMillan informed you when you made this thread you need to pick a Company.

BloodBeag
02-16-2016, 08:40 PM
The highest rank in a company is Captain

edit:I'm pretty sure about 80% of the people making companies haven't read any of the starter stuff on the forums

Challis89
02-16-2016, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the CSA and good luck against that lot in blue.

The highest rank in a company is Captain

edit:I'm pretty sure about 80% of the people making companies haven't read any of the starter stuff on the forums

Agreed and also the use of non civil war ranks is another indicator of not reading up. I may have picked it up wrong but dose the company tool only use set ranks?

Locke1740
02-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the Confederacy! And if you don't mind my asking, are any of y'all from South Carolina?

164thNY
02-18-2016, 01:08 PM
As MacMillan informed you when you made this thread you need to pick a Company.

What you don't realize is that our regiment of the 1st Charleston is a REGIMENT not a company we have 4 total companies witch qualeifies us according to civil war standers as a regiment that has seen action. What most people don't realize is that a regiment is 1000 men but during the civil war they could get a regiment of exactly 1000 men so they were given detachments of cavalry and artillery to make a full regiment witch in the confederate states was very uncomon due to the amount of manpower the confederacy could field so the fact that we have 4 companies total isn't uncomon for the time. WoR takes place during the Maryland campaign at this point both sides have taken heavy casualties. At that point neither side has called up more men to join the war so all regiments at this point are battered and roughed up from being in the field. As a civil war reenactor I feel no one should be forced by the comunity to chose just 1 company if there NaS regiment has 4.

Bravescot
02-18-2016, 01:22 PM
What you don't realize is that our regiment of the 1st Charleston is a REGIMENT not a company we have 4 total companies witch qualeifies us according to civil war standers as a regiment that has seen action. What most people don't realize is that a regiment is 1000 men but during the civil war they could get a regiment of exactly 1000 men so they were given detachments of cavalry and artillery to make a full regiment witch in the confederate states was very uncomon due to the amount of manpower the confederacy could field so the fact that we have 4 companies total isn't uncomon for the time. WoR takes place during the Maryland campaign at this point both sides have taken heavy casualties. At that point neither side has called up more men to join the war so all regiments at this point are battered and roughed up from being in the field. As a civil war reenactor I feel no one should be forced by the comunity to chose just 1 company if there NaS regiment has 4.

*Blah blah, most people know this blah blah*.

Go read the rule book and see that you need YOUR COMPANIES LISTED! You may NOT reserve a full regiment. If you want 4 of the 10 companies then list them and they will be added to the title.

A. P. Hill
02-18-2016, 03:17 PM

I guess you are going to provide outside historical documentation to back this up.
In all of my 50 plus years of studying and reading about the ACW, I have yet to read anything that remotely suggests this took place.

That said, yes, there were in the later years of the war where the Union had the Confederates in siege works around Petersburg, that Grant, needing more men in the field, took the artillery units in the forts around D.C. and made them infantry yet retaining their designated battery identities. They were equipped with rifles, stripped of their cannons which remained in the fortifications around D.C.

And when horses became a premium in the south, the cavalry was converted to infantry. They did not have the horses that made them cavalry.

I am sorry but neither side combined arms of different branches of service to form singular units.

Wrabbit
02-18-2016, 09:33 PM
Sorry none of us are from South Carolina as far i a am a were of.

Tristanxh
02-18-2016, 10:29 PM
I guess you are going to provide outside historical documentation to back this up.
In all of my 50 plus years of studying and reading about the ACW, I have yet to read anything that remotely suggests this took place.

That said, yes, there were in the later years of the war where the Union had the Confederates in siege works around Petersburg, that Grant, needing more men in the field, took the artillery units in the forts around D.C. and made them infantry yet retaining their designated battery identities. They were equipped with rifles, stripped of their cannons which remained in the fortifications around D.C.

And when horses became a premium in the south, the cavalry was converted to infantry. They did not have the horses that made them cavalry.

I am sorry but neither side combined arms of different branches of service to form singular units.

This is early in the war unless I'm mistaken. During the early years of the war, at least eight combined arms units of the C.S.A. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Civil_War_legions) were officially recognized and fielded. The Confederate Congress had authorized the raising of at LEAST ten. So... Yea, I guess a couple years of internet research, some library scrounging, and minimum reenacting just ousted your 50+ years of experience?

*EDIT* Admittedly, I might have put some extra research into combined arms units of the Confederacy, being a Lieutenant here in the 1st Charleston Infantry. *END OF EDIT*

Challis89
02-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Nice find but if you dig deeper none of them fought as a combined arm at Antietam intact many a quick Google works were split in different units and re numbered

From Wikipedia
The concept of a multiple-branch unit was fine in theory, but never was a practical application for Civil War armies and, early in the war, the individual elements were assigned to other organizations.

So hill is right to be fair with regards the Maryland Campaign this game portrays.

Tristanxh
02-18-2016, 10:46 PM
Nice find but if you dig deeper none of them fought as a combined arm at Antietam intact many a quick Google works were split in different units and re numbered

From Wikipedia
The concept of a multiple-branch unit was fine in theory, but never was a practical application for Civil War armies and, early in the war, the individual elements were assigned to other organizations.

So hill is right to be fair with regards the Maryland Campaign this game portrays.

If anything, this backs the statement earlier made by Rin,

they couldn't get a regiment of exactly 1000 men so they were given detachments of cavalry and artillery to make a full regiment

They were split and sent as detachments to other regiments / battalions often. At Charleston Harbor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Charleston_Harbor_Confederate_order_of_ba ttle), a detachment of cavalry from the 5th South Carolina Cavalry were assigned to the 1st Charleston, which is why Company C is currently called 'The Fighting Fifth,' which was the nickname of the 5th South Carolina Cavalry. Since they did attach a company of cavalry to the 1st Charleston Infantry Battalion, it proves that there were indeed cavalry and (I believe an artillery company was temporarily attached, although I may be mistaken) that there were combined arms attachments.

*EDIT* It had been Charleston Harbor, not Fort Sumter *END OF EDIT*

(Detachment of 5th SC Cavalry mentioned is under the Fourth Sub-Division "Inner Harbor" within Charleston which refers to the Charleston Battalion and attached units.)

Tristanxh
02-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the CSA and good luck against that lot in blue.

Agreed and also the use of non civil war ranks is another indicator of not reading up. I may have picked it up wrong but dose the company tool only use set ranks?

Well, I had been previously unaware that Colonel Wrabbit was going to post our roster this early or I would have gone over it with him previously (I'm General's Staff in the DA, so I do such often.), but basically, he posted our roster from the DA without any modifications to the list, and the ranks in the DA are... off a bit. So our roster came out like this, and it will all be corrected soon.

(DA is the Dixieland Army in the Mount & Blade: Warband Napoleonic Wars' North & South II Mod for those of you who don't know.)

*EDIT*
Admittedly...

Now that you have chosen your name, you are going to need to...

Make a Forum Thread
Establish the Ranks
Establish a means of Communications
Make a Steam Group/Website

'Establish the Ranks' could be considered a source of confusion as it could mean that the regiments establish who has which ranks, however, it could also mean that they establish what the ranks are. I believe that unless it is better clarified, there is no actual violation by having historically inaccurate ranks.
*END OF EDIT*

Bravescot
02-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Well, I had been previously unaware that Colonel Wrabbit was going to post our roster this early or I would have gone over it *EDIT*
Admittedly...

'Establish the Ranks' could be considered a source of confusion as it could mean that the regiments establish who has which ranks, however, it could also mean that they establish what the ranks are. I believe that unless it is better clarified, there is no actual violation by having historically inaccurate ranks.
*END OF EDIT*

Setting up a chain of command

Establishing a set of ranks will bring structure to your regiment. It will create the chain of command, and keep your regiment from falling apart if you die in a battle. Historical accurate ranks for the American Civil war are easy to find online and many of you will obviously want to follow the correct rank structure. That does not stop you though from choosing your own rank structure.

List of ranks:
http://uniforminsignia.org/index.php?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&search_id=main&state=380&search_id=top
*Note in a Company the highest CO is a Captain and the highest NCO is a First Sergeant*

Which I then go on to explain.

Please do not quote me as fact in the future. That thread has been created as a simple guide that does not need to be followed word for word. It is perfectly optional if one wishes to follow its suggestions.

JaegerCoyote
02-19-2016, 04:22 AM

They were split and sent as detachments to other regiments / battalions often. At Charleston Harbor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Charleston_Harbor_Confederate_order_of_ba ttle), a detachment of cavalry from the 5th South Carolina Cavalry were assigned to the 1st Charleston, which is why Company C is currently called 'The Fighting Fifth,' which was the nickname of the 5th South Carolina Cavalry. Since they did attach a company of cavalry to the 1st Charleston Infantry Battalion, it proves that there were indeed cavalry and (I believe an artillery company was temporarily attached, although I may be mistaken) that there were combined arms attachments.

*EDIT* It had been Charleston Harbor, not Fort Sumter *END OF EDIT*

(Detachment of 5th SC Cavalry mentioned is under the Fourth Sub-Division "Inner Harbor" within Charleston which refers to the Charleston Battalion and attached units.)

That meant there was a detachment of the 5th in the 4th Subdivision stationed in the city, they were NOT attached to the 1st Charleston, which was a infantry battalion.

Rin
02-19-2016, 01:10 PM
I wish to thank Bravescott for giving us a link to the ranks I'm sure as a Capt. a in the 1st Charleston our ranks will be updated shortly due to your help in providing a link to ranks.

Challis89
02-19-2016, 02:04 PM

actually it proves he was wrong as the units were broken up renamed and scattered long before the maryland campaign.

Tristanxh
02-19-2016, 06:17 PM
actually it proves he was wrong as the units were broken up renamed and scattered long before the maryland campaign.

I then further went on to explain that it proved Rin right in the fact that regiments broke up and attached to other regiments. I then noted that the 1st Charleston had been stationed with an attachment of cavalry from the 5th that it proves Rin's point further in that it shows that they renumbered and reassigned companies to new regiments of different classification, thus combined arms occurred often as companies would be shifted around to allow for greater tactical adaptability. After all, a force consisting of cavalry and infantry is more adaptable than a force of pure infantry. Admittedly it occurred more often in small garrisons where bringing in separate regiments to make up cavalry and artillery would require more men than reasonable for the garrison, however it certainly occurred.

JaegerCoyote
02-19-2016, 07:25 PM
I then further went on to explain that it proved Rin right in the fact that regiments broke up and attached to other regiments. I then noted that the 1st Charleston had been stationed with an attachment of cavalry from the 5th that it proves Rin's point further in that it shows that they renumbered and reassigned companies to new regiments of different classification, thus combined arms occurred often as companies would be shifted around to allow for greater tactical adaptability. After all, a force consisting of cavalry and infantry is more adaptable than a force of pure infantry. Admittedly it occurred more often in small garrisons where bringing in separate regiments to make up cavalry and artillery would require more men than reasonable for the garrison, however it certainly occurred.

It wasn't, it was part of the garrison in the City of Charleston but not attached to the 1st Battalion.

A. P. Hill
02-19-2016, 09:56 PM
... unless I'm mistaken. ...

It would appear that you are mistaken my young friend, I can see the error of your thinking clearly.
Let me explain to you, that what you have linked as “a combined arms unit” is not what you understand it to be.

The originator of this thread said he was forming an “infantry unit” and in so doing he was using, in error, units of various other arms of the military organization to fill the ranks of that “infantry unit”. I again state, the only references of this happening are when Grant converted the Heavy Artillery units used in manning the forts around D.C. into full-fledged infantry units equipped and trained as infantry around the Petersburg Richmond Siege lines, and when the Confederate services converted cavalry and artillery units to infantry units when horses became scarce and these units could not function as originally intended. Most of this happeing in late 1864 - early 1865 and till surrender of Lee's Army in April 1865.

IF this is the originators intent, that despite the various unit’s designation as “Artillery” or “Cavalry”, they will all be equipped and formed as rifle bearing infantry, then that’s acceptable. Strange though it is.

Getting back to your ‘research’. What you have found in your “few minutes” of an internet search are units called “Legions”. These are not examples of “infantry” units being formed and filled by men of all “combined arms”. What a “Legion” is, is actually a smaller version of an army, which is an organization comprised of all branches of military arms which function in their proper capacities and not as infantry. Basically, “Legions” were locality formed and essentially militia. Each Branch still fully functional as its intended function, and not operating as a singular unit such as a company or a regiment.

These examples do not represent what is displayed in the originator’s posting of his roster. As an example please open either of the two links in your wiki find called “Cobb’s Legion” or “Hampton’s Legion”. (Since these are the only two that I examined and found a roster list of information from your link.) As you read down through these references and compare them with the originator’s roster, do you notice something outstandingly different and yet quite obvious between those of the ”Legions” and the roster of the originator’s post in this thread?

Sadly you have not "corrected" my earlier comments in a “few minutes of internet search or a minimum of reenacting experience”. I am sorry, You are the one in error, not I.

Secondly, since the unit portrayed never left the state of South Carolina, it would not be found in a historically recreated battles on the Antietam.

And finally, I concur with the other statements that most all early "Legions" formed were sent to any army, were reorganized, split up, and absorbed into the other services.

All this said, please note, I am extracting myself from further comment.

Wrabbit
03-22-2016, 10:20 PM
sorry for the Confusing we are a reg that has Arty attached to it.

Hatchmo
03-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Still taking in recruits? I'm actually from SC and live there still. I'm also an active reenactor in the state, though I reenact with the 2nd SC Rifles because I'm from the upstate.

Hruon
03-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Yes we are

Hruon
03-28-2016, 10:46 PM
If you would like to join add me on steam I'm [1stCHLS] Hruon

Hatchmo
03-29-2016, 12:08 AM
I've decided to give a go at my own company. If it doesn't work out I'll check back in. Thanks though.

Hruon
03-29-2016, 05:09 PM
No problem

CadetCptKirk
05-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Im Looking to Join your Company in an officer position. I live in Charleston and Go to The Citadel who fired the first shots at the Star Of the West. Or you could make The South Carolina Corps Of Cadets your 4th company!

Locke1740
05-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Im Looking to Join your Company in an officer position. I live in Charleston and Go to The Citadel who fired the first shots at the Star Of the West. Or you could make The South Carolina Corps Of Cadets your 4th company!

If you want to join a company with South Carolinians nation it then join me and the 2nd SC, 5/7 of us are from sc while non of them are from sc, we'll give you a warm sc welcome!!

yoyo8346
05-17-2016, 06:24 PM
In all of my 50 plus years of studying and reading about the ACW

So you're saying you're over 60 years old?....

A. P. Hill
05-17-2016, 06:26 PM
So you're saying you're over 60 years old?....

I am. Is that surprising to you?

yoyo8346
05-17-2016, 11:50 PM
I am. Is that surprising to you?

Pardon me but I find it hard to believe. That's why I was confirming. The way you speak and your use of emoticons do not make you seem over 60 years old. My father is 66, so that's what I'm comparing you to. I may somehow be wrong though...

A. P. Hill
05-18-2016, 01:00 AM
Pardon me but I find it hard to believe. That's why I was confirming. The way you speak and your use of emoticons do not make you seem over 60 years old. My father is 66, so that's what I'm comparing you to. I may somehow be wrong though...

It's okay. :)

I'll be 61 this coming November. I was born in 1955.
I've also been using computers long before many of you have been sucking oxygen! ;) I bought my first PC back in 1985.

And now we've derailed this thread enough. Back to the 1st Charleston Infantry.

Locke1740
05-18-2016, 01:03 AM
It's okay. :)

I'll be 61 this coming November. I was born in 1955.
I've also been using computers long before many of you have been sucking oxygen! ;) I bought my first PC back in 1985.

And now we've derailed this thread enough. Back to the 1st Charleston Infantry.

not like theres been any 1st Charleston activity in weeks, plus i just got CadetCptKirk recruited for 2ndSC

Pvt.Scott
05-18-2016, 01:19 AM
I bought my first PC back in 1985.

Did it look like this?

A. P. Hill
05-18-2016, 01:23 AM
No.

It looked like this.

http://www.historyofpersonalcomputing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/tisystem1.jpg

Texas Instruments TI-994A ... my second computer was a true blue dyed in the wool IMB XT 8088 w/8087 math co-processor chip.

It looked like this.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Tqv7XCruQBA/SoJPsRzJ2UI/AAAAAAAABgo/4vjtLy3HdeU/s400/XT8088.jpg