PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Lumberyard

R21
02-14-2016, 01:28 AM
This is an interesting thing Amazon are doing:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/12/inside-amazons-decision-to-make-a-video-game-engine/

When I looked at screenshots of it initially I thought it looked familiar, didn't realise it was Cry-Engine at first. I'm wondering if this will benefit WOR or change anything (like distributing the Game through Amazon aswell as Steam or something along those lines) i'm also assuming with all the press around this they'll be heavily updating the Tools etc for Cry-Engine.

TrustyJam
02-14-2016, 02:00 AM
We downloaded and looked at it on the release day of the beta. It is indeed a rebranded, older version of CRYENGINE at this stage. It's got some nice advantages (full source code) and some less great ones (tied to amazon services) as well as a very slow recourse compiler and a general mess of file structure.

Crytek has got some big announcements next month at GDC in San Fransisco regarding CRYENGINE, and we'll be there to meet them and talk about various interesting things for the future.

- Trusty

R21
02-14-2016, 02:24 AM
Does that mean the current version you use doesn't come with full Source code? That does sound like a big advantage for Lumberyard.

TrustyJam
02-14-2016, 02:49 AM
Does that mean the current version you use doesn't come with full Source code? That does sound like a big advantage for Lumberyard.

Only way to get full source code for CRYENGINE is to pay an undisclosed amount to Crytek (Like games such as Kingdom Come and Star Citizen has done). However, with the full source code effectively out there now due to Lumberyard being released I see no reason for Crytek not to do the exact same thing.

I'm not saying we won't follow the development of Lumberyard, but for now we'll go with the cautious approach and wait and see how things develop in the future for both platforms. Amazon may have the money as well as full source code advantage right now, but they are not the creators of "their" engine, and unless they've bought the entire engine staff of Crytek I think CRYENGINE will continue to distance itself further from Lumberyard than it already is in terms of new features.

Here is the official response from Crytek by the way: http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=328&t=133300

- Trusty