PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Civil War General

Locke1740
02-24-2016, 10:07 PM
What is your favorite Civil War General? Who is your least favorite General?

My favorite would either be James Longstreet or Wade Hampton III.

My least favorite is William Tecumseh Sherman.

*Please no fighting in comments*

Rithal
02-24-2016, 10:11 PM
I must say either Stonewall Jackson or Nathan Bedford Forrest (purely for his skills as a tactician). :)

Locke1740
02-24-2016, 10:12 PM
I must say either Stonewall Jackson or Nathan Bedford Forrest (purely for his skills as a tactician). :)

Have any least favorite ones?

Legion
02-24-2016, 10:20 PM
General lee, Longstreet, and Harry T. Hays are my favorite, Braxton Bragg is my least favorite.

A. P. Hill
02-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Gee.

Let me guess ....

;)

crazychester1247
02-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Union: Grant or Hancock. Kearny is also a favorite.

least favorite: Pope

Confederate: Longstreet

Least Favorite: Ewell

Theodor Schmidt
02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Gee.

Let me guess ....

;)

Well of course its gonna be DH Hill :cool:

Locke1740
02-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Well of course its gonna be DH Hill :cool:

DH Hill is a pretty cool general, he's also from SC!

MilitantMonkey
02-25-2016, 08:47 PM
I would have to say my favorite generals (cause I can't pick just one of course ;) ) would have to be Robert E. Lee, Thomas J. Jackson, Stand Watie, Jerome B. Robertson, and John Buford.

My least favorites would be Felix H. Robertson (for certain controversial actions, otherwise he was a fairly good general), William T. Sherman, and Philip Sheridan (he's responsible for getting one of my ancestors captured, so I'm allowed to dislike him!!).

JaegerCoyote
02-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Favorites: Thomas Jackson, William Sherman (sorry), John F. Reynolds, J.E.B. Stuarts, and Lee

Least: McClellan

Locke1740
02-25-2016, 10:11 PM
I would have to say my favorite generals (cause I can't pick just one of course ;) ) would have to be Robert E. Lee, Thomas J. Jackson, Stand Watie, Jerome B. Robertson, and John Buford.

My least favorites would be Felix H. Robertson (for certain controversial actions, otherwise he was a fairly good general), William T. Sherman, and Philip Sheridan (he's responsible for getting one of my ancestors captured, so I'm allowed to dislike him!!).

Don't worry, your not the only one that has the right to hate Sherman

Jaeger you just had to pick Sherman

A. P. Hill
02-25-2016, 11:24 PM
DH Hill is a pretty cool general, he's also from SC!

I think if you go check, you'll find Daniel Harvey Hill was a son of North Carolina.

Locke1740
02-25-2016, 11:27 PM
I think if you go check, you'll find Daniel Harvey Hill was a son of North Carolina.

I'm pretty sure he was born in York County, SC but if I am incorrect then send me a link, I just remember he was born in York County

Locke1740
02-25-2016, 11:32 PM
He was from SC but he considered himself more of a North Carolinian, I still consider him a South Carolinian

Hinkel
02-25-2016, 11:48 PM
Least: McClellan

Come on, Little Mac was great!!! :D

Favourite: Stonewall Jackson and McClellan

Least: Sherman

Locke1740
02-26-2016, 12:27 AM
Come on, Little Mac was great!!! :D

Favourite: Stonewall Jackson and McClellan

Least: Sherman

I'm just glad 90% of people so far hate Sherman *cough* *Jaeger* *cough*

A. P. Hill
02-26-2016, 01:20 AM
I'm sorry! :D

I retract all my statements in this thread. I misread the title as asking who my favorite civil war GENERAL was .... I have no idea what a civil war GNEREAL is. :p

Henronicus
02-26-2016, 01:30 AM

I retract all my statements in this thread. I misread the title as asking who my favorite civil war GENERAL was .... I have no idea what a civil war GNEREAL is. :p

My favorite was G. Nereal. Would have gladly served under him.

Joking aside, I would have to say my favorites would be Stonewall Jackson, Longstreet, Burnside(because when you think about it, most other generals would've done the same at Fredericksburg, and the Crater was beyond his control really. Also, he did quite well in North Carolina early in the war. Plus sideburns are cool.), and a few others, just because they were badasses in battle.

Locke1740
02-26-2016, 02:15 AM

I'm sorry I started this thread on my phone and I didn't notice that general was spelled incorrectly!

BloodBeag
02-26-2016, 01:25 PM
would have to be Hugh Judson Kilpatrick

crazychester1247
02-26-2016, 02:45 PM
I like Sherman to actually. I also forgot Buford.

Henronicus
02-26-2016, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry I started this thread on my phone and I didn't notice that general was spelled incorrectly!

Why'd you fix it? the joke's ruined now!

Maximus Decimus Meridius
02-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Franz Sigel! Why?

Because he was a hero for all the German soldiers and many of them fought harder to make him proud. He was a General in the German revolution 1848/9 and fought for democracy. He is not one of the important generals like Stonewall or Grant but he gave a ethical minority hope and pride. The German soldiers loved him.

For example:

The 52nd New York is founded by to battalions which merged. one part was the German Ranger and the 2nd part was the Sigel Rifles which was lead and found by one of his friends who served on his side in Baden 1848.

Even the Germans wrote a song about him: I goes to fight mit Sigel! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUSJA-vtg_s)

Mississippi
02-28-2016, 05:25 PM
1. Robert E Lee
2. Stonewall Jackson
3. James Longstreet
4. John Bell Hood
5. A. P. Hill
6. D. H. Hill
7. George Pickett
8. Nathan Bedford Forrest
9. Ulysses S Grant
10. George Meade

CjkCJkCjk
02-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Favorite is Patrick Cleburne because he was awesome at Missionary Ridge and the Ringgold Gap, also he is the Stonewall of the west.
(little fact: this Cleburne is Pronounced Klay-Burn, the City in Texas is Cle-Burn)
Least is H.W Slocum
Because HE WAS TERRIBLE at Gettysburg.

Wyatt35
02-29-2016, 08:13 AM
Irish born Maj. Gen. Pat Cleburne for me too. He was hands down THE best division commander in the Army of Tennessee, and definitely one of the best in the Confederacy.
Another favorite is Brig. Gen. Hiram B. Granbury who commanded a brigade of Texans in Cleburne's Division. Sadly both were killed in the charge at Franklin. Today there's also a Granbury, TX right next to Cleburne, TX.

For least favorite, maybe Braxton Bragg for obvious reasons.