PDA

View Full Version : AND now for something completely different

A. P. Hill
02-25-2016, 10:32 PM
Back when I was a young buck ... we're talking back in the mid 70s. I happened upon a rather interesting table top game, (we didn't have computers, OR cell phones back then .... at least not home owned like today.) Most of our entertainment came from books and the like. Real board games and etc.

It was then I was introduced to one of my second most captivating interests. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, otherwise affectionately known as AD&D. I use to play all the time. It's a game based off the lore and legends of the J. R. R. Tolkien books. It was and still his highly captivating. We had to use our imaginations a lot back then. And of course there were always stories about some group of "diehard" participants and players actually suiting up in real life and going out and breaking into city sewer systems and the like and getting lost and needed to be found by the authorities.

Anyhow there is an online comic that I truly enjoy, and I want to share the adventures with you readers.

Welcome to "The Order of the Stick!" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html) I hope you find it as captivating and enjoyable as I do.

55thNY Col J-Man11
02-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Erm wtf? lol

Gandalf
02-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Heh, funny you should mention it; I enjoy following the comic myself. It's written well, and the illustrations, though simple, have a great charm to them.

Read the whole thing through twice. Guess I'll go and read it a third time. ;)

thomas aagaard
02-26-2016, 08:57 PM
It is a great comic...

A. P. Hill
02-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Heh, funny you should mention it; I enjoy following the comic myself. It's written well, and the illustrations, though simple, have a great charm to them.

Read the whole thing through twice. Guess I'll go and read it a third time. ;)

It is a great comic...

Cool wouldn't have thought there might be others already enjoying the adventures. .... And as it is a continuing story, I'm sure you're keeping up with it.

Landree
02-28-2016, 04:08 AM
I was really big into D&D in high school. I'd like to get back into it or some system like it. Also would like to get into Bolt Action...

A. P. Hill
02-28-2016, 01:37 PM
I was really big into D&D in high school. I'd like to get back into it or some system like it. Also would like to get into Bolt Action...

It is one of those things that, once in your system, are hard to get rid of. For a long time (5 years or so,) I have been playing Turbine's D&D Online. (https://www.ddo.com/en) But since upgrading my harddrive I haven't touched it in a while.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
02-28-2016, 08:22 PM
I love also D&D but in Germany are Pen&Paper Games not so common. I have a D&D boardgame and its really cool. great story and cool characters and i love this small trees columns for the board <3

Some years ago i wanted to buy the expansion but the company which produced this game was bankrupt (I hope thats correct. English grammar is not my best part :D . Sorry guys)

So i searched on the Internet but now this game collector's item and cost over 100€ O.o . It's a really nice game and i love it........ But i also love "Risiko" (Risk) and "Die Siedler von Catan" * :D xD :p

*(The Settlers of Catan. A really common economy game in Germany but i don't know if there is a English name/version and i think its not common out of Germany)

Landree
02-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Settlers of Catan does have an English translation AMD is starting to be recognized for the good game that it is.

Risk is very popular.

I'd imagine there'd be plenty of game shops that would host D&D nights in Germany as well...?

Maximus Decimus Meridius
02-29-2016, 10:22 AM
D&D is not so common in Germany and the most of game shops die due to the lack of consumers because so many buy via internet. 5 Years ago was a small game shop in my city which hosted table top games but then it went bankrupt. Very sadly. Some months ago the last only games shop went also bankrupt. Now only a mall remain with a really really small and poor game section and this in a city with over 45.000 people!!!

crazychester1247
02-29-2016, 05:31 PM
I played a lot of 4th & 5th edition D&D, one of my all time favorite hobbies. I also have some old AD&D books from my grandfather but I never used them. And yes I heard the rediculous stories too.

AND NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISISTION!