PDA

View Full Version : Map Suggestions!

FalloutDud3
11-01-2013, 09:47 AM
The title say's most of it...

Will you have a wide variety of map's or just a few ones recycled with different game-modes? [Of course I know that you will have a lot of map's but I still wanted to ask ] Will most of the map's be the same like long range fields with little cover, Countryside, Or will it be more of a variety like maybe one in "Boston" or "Atlanta" with close range combat with men fighting a lot more dirty and bloody than a countryside battle, and more like rambo's cause you can't fit 40 men in a small alley [Not real Rambo's but more squad based than a whole company] . Maybe there might be some, uhhhh what do you call where you use environment to your advantage? Eh whatever, like maybe on the street there might be a little food market you could throw a potato at your enemy [Muahahaha Potato strikes back] or maybe cut a rope that holds up some barrels and you get my meaning.

So also Map Suggestions?

[I'm not one of the team but I think there should be a thread for the map's after all the war lasted 4 years a lot of battles to choose from!]

TrustyJam
11-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Moved to suggestions and ideas. We've got a few maps planed - feel free to write all of your wishes below though!

- Trusty

Said
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
potato attack :D lol
reminds me of trouble in terrorist town for some reason

Sgt-Frede
11-01-2013, 12:59 PM
:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXkJMHo6uA

FalloutDud3
11-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I know the potato training in Call of Duty 2, I remember bringing home that game cause it was like 10 bucks and playing the first mission with all the potato's... it was like a dream come trueee....

Estus
11-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Ooooh!!
Call of Duty 2, one of the last really good CoD games :rolleyes:

A "tutorial map" with a tiny plot like in the beginning of CoD2 would be very nice.

FalloutDud3
11-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Ooooh!!
Call of Duty 2, one of the last really good CoD games :rolleyes:

A "tutorial map" with a tiny plot like in the beginning of CoD2 would be very nice.

Yes You are just training [POTATO POTATOOOOOO] and after you learn some basic's like some shooting, simple cover, maybe bandaging on a dummy then SHIZ JUST GOT REAL so then a battle starts and they need you [Coincidentally after you learned to shoot] and then then a simple battle vs super simple AI Voila a great Starting mission.

Oh and also sooo Suggestions on Maps to All Bout Potatoes [Which is a great thing to talk about] then Call of Duty... At least we did something good in 4 3 comments [And I'm not talking about the maps or Cod... potato!]

michaelsmithern
03-11-2016, 04:16 PM
i know it has been a while since this forum has been commented on but a map i'd like to see, and i'm sure its already there is the harpers ferry map. now for the ones i'm not sure of, would have to be the battlefields for the skirmishes that took place before the actual battle

A. P. Hill
03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Which time? Harpers Ferry changed hands 8 or 9 times during the ACW. But regarding the area, there have been several displays of this area as mapped by CGP.

michaelsmithern
03-11-2016, 05:52 PM
ah, well what about any of the skirmishes before the battle of sharpsburg/antietam

Locke1740
03-11-2016, 07:40 PM
I think there should be a couple of siege type maps for the Charleston Campaign of 1863, a lesser know campaign but an important fight, that would includ Battery Wagner+Battery Wagner with union siege lines, Battery Beurgard and Walker at Port Royal(not part of campaign but near charleston) a Seccessionville defense Map and finally a Fort Sumter type match where US marine can go by boat and try to take Sumter with landing boats of Marines and Sailors on the beach of the island.

Legion
03-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Yeah the Petersburg or Vicksburg seige would be sweet. I had family at the Vicksburg seige

Pickett
03-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Would love to see Cemetary Hill, with the Union in defense only, and the confederates making that long one mile journey over open ground to try and claim the stone wall!

Hinkel
03-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Would love to see Cemetary Hill, with the Union in defense only, and the confederates making that long one mile journey over open ground to try and claim the stone wall!

If we might consider a Gettysburg Campaign in the future, Cemetary Hill would be featured in all its glory of course.

Legion
03-12-2016, 03:44 PM
If we might consider a Gettysburg Campaign in the future, Cemetary Hill would be featured in all its glory of course.

I hope you do make other campaigns. After you finish with the Maryland campaign you could always expand, I'm sure everyone is willing to help if you with funding to do that. Just think, you could make the greatest civil war game ever:) it be sweet to at least see all the major battles of the war.
I'm perfectly happy with the Maryland campaign though so no worries

Brooklyn
03-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Would really like to see maps based on the Peninsula Campaign and Seven Days Battles of 1862 if the game ever expands to more then just the Maryland Campaign.

Hinkel
03-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Would really like to see maps based on the Peninsula Campaign and Seven Days Battles of 1862 if the game ever expands to more then just the Maryland Campaign.

If you imagine, the work on research and recreating the maps itself for a single campaign might take 2 years. So we would like to expand in the future, but its insane amount of work :)

Legion
03-12-2016, 05:20 PM
If you imagine, the work on research and recreating the maps itself for a single campaign might take 2 years. So we would like to expand in the future, but its insane amount of work :)

Take your time:) I'm just happy to hear that you want to do other campaigns, I was worried you were just gonna stop at the maryland campaign

Brooklyn
03-12-2016, 05:25 PM

I could only imagine. That's why I'm very happy we're getting the whole Maryland Campaign and not just Antietam.

Henronicus
03-12-2016, 11:42 PM

Hopefully when(not if) this game becomes a huge success you can maybe hire more people to help speed it up. Honestly I'd be willing to help if I knew how, but I'm still in school.

Also, Gettysburg would be a good idea to me since it is almost certainly the most well-documented battle and so probably a bit easier to be accurate in-game.

Duffy
03-13-2016, 02:29 AM
Fort Wagner would be an interesting map. It'd offer an opportunity for artillery to play a part in supporting an infantry advance on a fixed position. Would be a good opportunity for some artillery duels as well ;)

crazychester1247
03-13-2016, 02:32 AM
Welcome to the forum duffy! Also it's nice to see some more Pennsylvanians around here.

Duffy
03-13-2016, 02:50 AM
Thank you sir, glad to be here.

Locke1740
03-13-2016, 03:07 AM
Fort Wagner would be an interesting map. It'd offer an opportunity for artillery to play a part in supporting an infantry advance on a fixed position. Would be a good opportunity for some artillery duels as well ;)

I think a Battery Wagner map would be a different than many other maps

BloodBeag
03-13-2016, 08:22 AM
what about Rust or Nuketown? But seriously, Gettysburg has been done so many times but that's because it's so good. add it

Legion
03-13-2016, 04:15 PM
what about Rust or Nuketown? But seriously, Gettysburg has been done so many times but that's because it's so good. add it

I don't recall Gettysburg ever being done in a game like this, only RTS games have done it

Brooklyn
03-13-2016, 09:41 PM
I don't recall Gettysburg ever being done in a game like this, only RTS games have done it

Well you did have that game made by the History Channel, but that was nothing like WOR.

Legion
03-13-2016, 09:46 PM
Well you did have that game made by the History Channel, but that was nothing like WOR.

That game doesn't count lol

Pvt.Scott
03-13-2016, 11:13 PM
It would be awesome to have a Gettysburg map. and I think they should definitely do it next. I want to charge my 6th Wisconsin right into the railroad cut. But they should perfect this map 1st.

Legion
03-13-2016, 11:53 PM
It would be awesome to have a Gettysburg map. and I think they should definitely do it next. I want to charge my 6th Wisconsin right into the railroad cut. But they should perfect this map 1st.

There not gonna be able to do Gettysburg in one big map, I think they should do it based on the engagements, like a map for culps and cemetary hill, the another map for the round tops and devil's den etc etc.

I difinitly want to see Gettysburg and all the major battles done so I can relive my 3rd great grandfather's footsteps, he was in the 20th Georgia and fought in most of the major battles in the Eastern theater, from Antietam all the way to the wilderness where he lost his leg, he also fought at chickamauga

Celt
03-14-2016, 02:24 AM
I think given how beautiful the devs seem to have made the Harper's Ferry map, a Vicksburg map would be a great addition to the game. And with Vicksburg, that'll get the western front into the game, which it'd make a good contrast to the eastern based content already in the game.

I know the western front won't be included just on a whim, it'd depend on the success of the steam launch and even then it might have to be DLC, but just speaking in generalities Vicksburg would be nice.

Legion
03-14-2016, 02:27 AM
I think given how beautiful the devs seem to have made the Harper's Ferry map, a Vicksburg map would be a great addition to the game. And with Vicksburg, that'll get the western front into the game, which it'd make a good contrast to the eastern based content already in the game.

I know the western front won't be included just on a whim, it'd depend on the success of the steam launch and even then it might have to be DLC, but just speaking in generalities Vicksburg would be nice.

I think that the western theater should be done eventually due to some of the major battles that happened there like, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, and Vicksburg.

Hinkel
03-14-2016, 05:15 AM
and Vicksburg.

Uhhh.. imagine those gunboats on the Mississippi.. naval assaults to get into the town.. :rolleyes: :cool:
To be honest: Personally I am more interested in the eastern theatre :p

Legion
03-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Uhhh.. imagine those gunboats on the Mississippi.. naval assaults to get into the town.. :rolleyes: :cool:
To be honest: Personally I am more interested in the eastern theatre :p

Same, the only battle that I really want from the west is the Battle of Chickamauga

BloodBeag
03-14-2016, 06:32 AM
what about a battle between ironclads?

Locke1740
03-14-2016, 09:52 AM
what about a battle between ironclads?

Well you've got the first one between the Moniter and the Merrimack, then you've got others like during the siege of Charleston and etc. where the confederate soldiers had ironclads in defense

A. P. Hill
03-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Uhhh.. imagine those gunboats on the Mississippi..

Oh! I'M up for some gun boat modelling!!!

R21
03-14-2016, 11:14 AM
The Gatling gun was first used in warfare during the American Civil War. Twelve of the guns were purchased personally by Union commanders and used in the trenches during the siege of Petersburg, Virginia (June 1864 – April 1865)

Would love to see this maybe down in the line.

Celt
03-14-2016, 03:18 PM
@R21

Devs already ruled out the Gatling gun being ever included I think in either in the kickstarter video or a later video.

Mississippi
03-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Gunboats sound great, maybe some marines also.

Legion
03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Gunboats sound great, maybe some marines also.

Marines hardly saw combat during the war.

Locke1740
03-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Marines hardly saw combat during the war.

The Corps of SC Cadets fought some Marines at Tulifinny

Legion
03-14-2016, 07:31 PM

The Corps of SC Cadets fought some Marines at Tulifinny

I know but it was a very rare occurrence.

Locke1740
03-14-2016, 07:41 PM
I know but it was a very rare occurrence.

I know that's what your saying, I just wanted to show the coincidence that Citadel once fought the USMC and is now supplying them

SemajRednaxela
04-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Keep forgetting that it's not just Antietem we'll be fighting in and around.

https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport12.aspx#navigationContainer

Especially the above, Harpers Ferry map. It will add fantastic variation in game play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Harpers_Ferry?wprov=sfla1

Though urban fighting with lots of people hiding in and around buildings does bring back to light the question of ballistics affecting people behind cover etc.

Legion
04-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Keep forgetting that it's not just Antietem we'll be fighting in and around.

https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport12.aspx#navigationContainer

Especially the above, Harpers Ferry map. It will add fantastic variation in game play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Harpers_Ferry?wprov=sfla1

Though urban fighting with lots of people hiding in and around buildings does bring back to light the question of ballistics affecting people behind cover etc.

Lead deforms very easily so if the building or cover is hard enough it wouldn't go through. Lead doesn't pen through much unless the object is rather soft or thin

SemajRednaxela
04-19-2016, 09:22 PM
https://youtu.be/vDX_Lc_FTm0

this also:-

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/destructiveness-of-the-58-minie-ball.105631/

or this, through brickwork:-

http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/mcclellan-house-jennie-wade-house-battle-damage/

stiffstarch
04-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Hello ...Since WoR is based on the Maryland Campaign of 1862, how much of the Campaign is really going to be implemented, besides Antietam???.. South Mountain and/or Harpers Ferry? Are there maps for those areas and can they be used for battle??

TrustyJam
04-26-2016, 09:52 PM
Hello ...Since WoR is based on the Maryland Campaign of 1862, how much of the Campaign is really going to be implemented, besides Antietam???.. South Mountain and/or Harpers Ferry? Are there maps for those areas and can they be used for battle??

Antietam/Sharpsburg, Harper's Ferry, South Mountain & Shepherdstown.

- Trusty

Hinkel
04-26-2016, 09:53 PM

Please have a look at this :)

https://youtu.be/z5snMNkXdoo?t=445

Harpers Ferry (old screenshots)
http://media.indiedb.com/images/articles/1/163/162462/auto/ITKOGT4.jpg

http://media.indiedb.com/images/articles/1/163/162462/auto/nkCjwsx.jpg

jadams196
05-08-2016, 12:59 AM
If you're considering adding more maps after you're finished developing the Maryland campaign, I'm begging you: PLEASE DO NOT MAKE GETTYSBURG. This battle takes center stage and is included in almost every Civil War game. There are plenty of other battles that are less know, but just as important. Some suggestions: Battle of Fredericksburg, 1st and 2nd Manassas/Bull Run, Valley campaign and battles in Tennessee or Arkansas(Shiloh and Pea Ridge come to mind).

Game looks awesome so far and I hope it will be successful!

Legion
05-08-2016, 04:04 AM
If you're considering adding more maps after you're finished developing the Maryland campaign, I'm begging you: PLEASE DO NOT MAKE GETTYSBURG. This battle takes center stage and is included in almost every Civil War game. There are plenty of other battles that are less know, but just as important. Some suggestions: Battle of Fredericksburg, 1st and 2nd Manassas/Bull Run, Valley campaign and battles in Tennessee or Arkansas(Shiloh and Pea Ridge come to mind).

If they make other campaigns it would be foolish not to make the Battle of Gettysburg, no game has ever done Gettysburg to this detail so I think it's important to do it.(Though it shouldn't be the very next Campaign)
I agree with you though that there are many other battles that get overlooked and that should definitley be added to the game like Fredericksburg, 1st and 2nd Manassas, Chickamauga, 7 days battles etc. etc.

Colonel P. R. Page
05-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Fredricksburg

Gettysburg

Shiloh

The Wilderness

Kennasaw Mountain

New Hope Church

Chickamuga

Franklin

Pea Ridge

Chansllorsvile

1st and Second Manassas

Here's my list...make these and let the blood flow...

BloodBeag
05-08-2016, 12:17 PM
surely fredricksburg would be really boring because it's so one sided to the confederates?

Legion
05-08-2016, 01:49 PM
surely fredricksburg would be really boring because it's so one sided to the confederates?

Not really, it would give you the chance to change history and win the battle as the union.

Pvt.Scott
05-08-2016, 03:34 PM

But how many games have done Gettysburg in first person, with realistic weapons and mechanics of the civil war.
Think. About. It.

Colonel P. R. Page
05-09-2016, 05:13 AM
But how many games have done Gettysburg in first person, with realistic weapons and mechanics of the civil war.
Think. About. It.

Exactly.

Gettysburg must be made by the devs of this game.

Soulfly
05-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Not really, it would give you the chance to change history and win the battle as the union.

indeed, plus you have some nice scenarios here: crossing a river, house to house fighting and "open" fields with flanking maneuvers.

R21
05-09-2016, 08:59 AM
indeed, plus you have some nice scenarios here: crossing a river, house to house fighting and "open" fields with flanking maneuvers.

I'd like to see this, Maps that mixed environments up. Heroes and Generals has some good Maps that have both long and Short Range fighting in them, hopefully they can take a page out of their book with the way they design some of their stuff.

Legion
05-09-2016, 09:18 AM
I'd like to see this, Maps that mixed environments up. Heroes and Generals has some good Maps that have both long and Short Range fighting in them, hopefully they can take a page out of their book with the way they design some of their stuff.

Well the maps would be historical so it would really depend on what battlefield they do.
Gettysburg would be the most dynamic when it comes to fighting, you have open fields, woodlands, hills, city of gettysburg, etc etc.