PDA

View Full Version : Forming a battalion.

Challis89
03-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Just a quick question to the devs, i did a search that revealed nothing. How will forming a battalion work? Its been asked by a few people i know and I can't really answer it.

Once 2 or more coys merge will it create a mini HQ company or will it just open up a Majors spot in the company of the person elected to run it?

just curious as to how this will work as the game progresses. (i have no plans to form another company at present more for if it keeps growing once the games out)

Johann Günderson
03-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Well as far as I know battalions were not as common in that period for infantry as they were for artillery. From my experience of being in the army the regiment that I was in (3rd Battalion 13th Infantry) each regiment had about 2 or 3 battalions, each battalion having 4 or 5 companies but that is the modern military...

Shadow765
03-16-2016, 08:14 PM
I would like to add another question: do you just rank yourself as officer or do you need to ask someone to do it? or do you play to get ranked up? Because new players can't just be a officer without experience

Once 2 or more coys merge will it create a mini HQ company or will it just open up a Majors spot in the company of the person elected to run it?

Or will it be like a mini election thingy.

Challis89
03-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Well as far as I know battalions were not as common in that period for infantry as they were for artillery. From my experience of being in the army the regiment that I was in (3rd Battalion 13th Infantry) each regiment had about 2 or 3 battalions, each battalion having 4 or 5 companies but that is the modern military...

Yea I know but they have said for gameplay reasons from what I've picked up battalions will form together to make the regiment. I guess it's to keep in line their ides that it's going to be hard to form the bigger units. A battalion back then had 8 companies anyrhing more was a regiment historicaly

@shadow I guess it's up to the company commander what ranks he gives out. I'm just curious as to what happens when a battalion is formed haha

A. P. Hill
03-16-2016, 11:28 PM
There were partial regiments and organizations that came into both Union and Confederate services called Battalions.

BATTALION and REGIMENT.

Battalions and regiments were formed by organizing companies together. In the volunteers (Union and Confederate), 10 companies would be organized together into a regiment. The regiment was commanded by a colonel. A regiment has the following staff (one of each):

Col.; Lt. Col.; Major; Adjutant (1st Lt); Surgeon (maj.); Asst Surgeon (capt.); Quartermaster (lieut); Commissary (lieut); Sgt-Major; Quartermaster Sgt.

There were also volunteer organizations containing less than 10 companies: if they contained from 4-8 companies, they were called battalions, and usually were commanded by a major or lieutenant colonel.

The (Union) Regular regiments organized before the war (1st-10th) were 10 company regiments like the volunteers. When the NEW Regular regiments. were authorized, a different organization was used. The new Regular regiments were organized 8 companies to a battalion and 2 battalions to the regiment. Thus new Regular regiments contained 16 companies. These regiments frequently fought as battalions rather than as single regiments. However, often the 2nd battalion could not be recruited up to strength, in which case they fought as a single regiment.

Challis89
03-17-2016, 09:43 AM
A very good read :-) That all said any idea how it will work withing the game?

SemajRednaxela
03-17-2016, 05:35 PM

DITTO to the above!!!

Legion
03-17-2016, 10:08 PM

Due to the player limit and the size of the companies, battalions will most likely be made up of 2-3 companies and regiments will ba made up of two battalions.
If you look in the company tool thread you will see a chain of command type thing, and I think this is how the companies/ battalions will look.

Challis89
03-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Yea I've seen that just wanted that bit more info if you know what I mean will it create an elected HQ company or will one company have the staff for that battalion etc. And I think 2-3 companies will be a very good size.

Legion
03-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Yea I've seen that just wanted that bit more info if you know what I mean will it create an elected HQ company or will one company have the staff for that battalion etc. And I think 2-3 companies will be a very good size.

If the companies merge together to form a bigger clan then I'm sure it will just be player choice.
But if you just mean in game then maybe would only open those leadership spots when multiple companies are formed in the same regiment and each company could get a vote on who leads or something.
I don't really know though, it's hard to put into words so I guess we'll just have to test it in-game and see what works best.
I can see how it would work on organized servers, but on random servers it would be more difficult to get the players to work together.

Challis89
03-17-2016, 10:34 PM
If the companies merge together to form a bigger clan then I'm sure it will just be player choice.
But if you just mean in game then maybe would only open those leadership spots when multiple companies are formed in the same regiment and each company could get a vote on who leads or something.
I don't really know though, it's hard to put into words so I guess we'll just have to test it in-game and see what works best.
I can see how it would work on organized servers, but on random servers it would be more difficult to get the players to work together.

Thing is the companies are to be organised affairs rather than random gatherings for skirmisher battles and random historical battles people will join team up and crack on.

See that's the thing that would be nice to know forming a battalion especially with 2 fellow random companies will require a comprise and votes on the leader but like I've wondered will it create a mini hq unit or will it mean the company of the leader get the option to promote someone to major etc. Going to be interesting.

I know what you mean about getting it to work but really when your doing special company events your not going to.get solo Random's these will be company events so I guess everyone will know how it's done.

Legion
03-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Thing is the companies are to be organised affairs rather than random gatherings for skirmisher battles and random historical battles people will join team up and crack on.

See that's the thing that would be nice to know forming a battalion especially with 2 fellow random companies will require a comprise and votes on the leader but like I've wondered will it create a mini hq unit or will it mean the company of the leader get the option to promote someone to major etc. Going to be interesting.

I know what you mean about getting it to work but really when your doing special company events your not going to.get solo Random's these will be company events so I guess everyone will know how it's done.

I think it's just gonna be dependent of the players willingness to work together. Battalions that are formed from clans merging together will be much easier to handle compared to random companies that form battalions in-game.

For instance, if a player forms Co. A of 1st LA then I would ask them if they wanted to form a battalion then we would elect a leader that way we wouldn't have to worry about that in game.

Challis89
03-17-2016, 10:51 PM
I think it's just gonna be dependent of the players willingness to work together. Battalions that are formed from clans merging together will be much easier to handle compared to random companies that form battalions in-game.

True and agree but I'm talking formal battalions rather than one game wonders tho. You do make a great point tho. :-)

Legion
03-17-2016, 10:55 PM
True and agree but I'm talking formal battalions rather than one game wonders tho. You do make a great point tho. :-)

Thats what I meant, I think battalions are gonna be more of a clan thing rather than an on the fly in-game thing.
That's what I meant when I said I would ask him if he wanted to form a battalion(merge clans)

Challis89
03-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Thats what I meant, I think battalions are gonna be more of a clan thing rather than an on the fly in-game thing.
That's what I meant when I said I would ask him if he wanted to form a battalion(merge clans)

Ah I gotcha :-)

Like I say tho should you choose to team up as a battalion as a permanent fixture what will be the offical set up be great to know at some point as both companies would still need to be formed in case they decided to go their separate ways down the line. Be hard I think to get 2 battalions to form a regiment that's when gentlemen agreements will be needed haha

Legion
03-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Ah I gotcha :-)

Like I say tho should you choose to team up as a battalion as a permanent fixture what will be the offical set up be great to know at some point as both companies would still need to be formed in case they decided to go their separate ways down the line. Be hard I think to get 2 battalions to form a regiment that's when gentlemen agreements will be needed haha

Agreed, and honestly I don't see to many regiments forming in the future, it will probably go straight from battalion up to brigade and just skip the regiment. Most regiments were actually battalion sized during the war anyways.

Challis89
03-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Agreed, and honestly I don't see to many regiments forming in the future, it will probably go straight from battalion up to brigade and just skip the regiment. Most regiments were actually battalion sized during the war anyways.

Very true :-)

Legion
03-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Very true :-)

The good thing is that companies will be close to their actual sizes, I know some companies only had 20-30 men during the battle.