PDA

View Full Version : Zouaves

JG93
03-17-2016, 02:46 AM
Where are all the Zouave companies? Only found one CSA and one USA, and the US one isn't the traditional Union Zouave. I would have thought more guys would be all over those uniforms. No 5th NY...

Zoranny
03-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Some companies, use Zoaves as special Unit. P.e. A NY Company uses primary 69th NY uniform and their best melee players use Zoave uniforms. IDK where this trend is from, but I heard this from different companies.

JG93
03-20-2016, 01:44 AM
Seems like the 1st LA Tigers is the only actual Zouave company so far. Not sure the union company's Zouave uniform is an option in the game as of yet.

JaegerCoyote
03-20-2016, 03:29 AM
5th and 14th NY have been shown in videos.

Duke Of Longtree
03-20-2016, 04:21 AM
The devs promise to be historic with this game so there should be plenty of zouaves units most of them union so your good

JG93
03-20-2016, 04:40 AM
No, I know the uniforms will be there. I am talking about companies being created that are actually Zouaves. I am surprised noone has created the 5th NY.

A. P. Hill
03-20-2016, 06:55 PM
No, I know the uniforms will be there. I am talking about companies being created that are actually Zouaves. I am surprised noone has created the 5th NY.

Please feel free to form your own 5th NY Zouaves then.

JG93
03-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Form a company...I ain't got time for dat..I am looking to be a lowly private in a Zouave uniform doing as I am told...

Legion
03-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Form a company...I ain't got time for dat..I am looking to be a lowly private in a Zouave uniform doing as I am told...

We'd be happy to take you on as a lowly private, and we would be happy to boss you around;)

JG93
03-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Seems likely

A. P. Hill
03-21-2016, 01:52 AM
We'd be happy to take you on as a lowly private, and we would be happy to boss you around;)

Pretty sure he would rather be a Yankee zouave. ;)
Just basing it on his concern of lack of yankee units representing zouaves.

Legion
03-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Pretty sure he would rather be a Yankee zouave. ;)
Just basing it on his concern of lack of yankee units representing zouaves.

No better or harder fighting zouave unit than the Tigers, no yankee will be able to match our prowess on the battlefield.:D

JG93
03-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Nah. Confederate Zouave all the way. Just disappointed that there won't be a union Zouave company walking across the field at us. Would be a great sight.

Legion
03-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Nah. Confederate Zouave all the way. Just disappointed that there won't be a union Zouave company walking across the field at us. Would be a great sight.

I'm sure there will be eventually, we'll most likely fight the iron brigade though due to our location historically during the battle

SemajRednaxela
03-21-2016, 06:13 PM
69th??

Brooklyn
03-21-2016, 06:22 PM
69th??

Company k of the 69th New York (militia) wore a Zouave Jacket during the battle of 1st Bull Run. However the Company stopped using that jacket when the regiment was re-enrolled as the 69th New York Volunteer infantry. If that's what you are asking.

George G. Meade
05-10-2016, 03:56 AM
Don't forget the 72ndPA boys

Colonel P. R. Page
05-11-2016, 04:52 AM
I love Zouve uniforms!

michaelsmithern
05-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Seems likely

i know the 1st Minnesota Company E was a zouve unit, and it's been formed although it's got just it's captain.

Void
06-08-2016, 01:38 AM
Where are all the Zouave companies? Only found one CSA and one USA, and the US one isn't the traditional Union Zouave. I would have thought more guys would be all over those uniforms. No 5th NY...

You have your fix now, the 5th NY Co A 'Duryee's Zouaves' Are Here :)

JG93
06-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Good to see. would have thought there be more but I guess everyone enjoys the plain old blue

Void
06-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Good to see. would have thought there be more but I guess everyone enjoys the plain old blue

The bland life is not a fun one. Although they are not as easily spotted as zouaves.

MikeVP
06-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Not widely known, but the 40th New York was originally recruited to be the "2nd Zouaves" with the nickname "United States Constitution Guard," but organization halted at just 6 companies. The regiment was finished when new funding came in and 4 companies from Mass. and 2 more from Penn. were added. Their first uniforms, worn until the end of 1861, featured all dark blue New York State jacket and trousers, with red piping and a red stripe down the leg. When those uniforms were replaced, the new uniform was nearly the same, but with standard infantry light blue piping, and still all dark blue on top and bottom.

Original 1861 uniform of the 40th NY:

http://i.imgur.com/bzfbYrp.png

First uniform of the 40th. Adopted in 1861, dark blue NYS jacket (not pictured, under great coat), dark blue trousers, with red piping.

Void
07-09-2016, 04:11 AM
Not widely known, but the 40th New York was originally recruited to be the "2nd Zouaves" with the nickname "United States Constitution Guard"

Interesting, I was not aware of this

Wildcat
07-14-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm sure there will be eventually, we'll most likely fight the iron brigade though due to our location historically during the battle

Can't wait to obliterate the Iron Brigade and loot their ever so nice hardee hats ;)

JaegerCoyote
07-20-2016, 10:40 PM
You are aware, the Iron Brigade chased you guys down. lol

JG93
07-22-2016, 01:48 AM
Hey r there any photos or images of confederate zouaves on the website. I thought I had saw it in the past but now that I am looking back I can't find anything. Was it in a video or something...I am missing it.

Wildcat
07-22-2016, 02:07 PM
"Chased" yes they did it once, But never will again, And if they try goodluck to em :p!

Wildcat
07-22-2016, 02:11 PM
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/Images/FieldReport/FieldReport20/Screenshot_7.jpg (from the 20th Field report "Retreat of the Louisiana Brigade"

That is the 1st Louisiana or I think the 10thLA wore Zouave uniforms, But they are wearing the Tiger Rifle uniform and since the Tiger Rifles merged into the 1st Louisiana they kept their old Uniforms.

EDIT: Yup they are the 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion they seem to be wearing the coats given to Coppens Zouaves and the 10th don't seem to be Zouaves. "When the Union infantry rushed towards Miller's Cornfield, they drove the Louisiana Brigade back to the West Woods. Along that brigade was the famous 1st Louisiana Infantry, which had a company of Hay's Wheat Tigers attached. When they finally reached the Hagerstown Pike, the soldiers faced each other across the chest-high rail fences that lined along the road and traded volleys at point blank range. Two regiments of Union sharpshooters joined in the fight and poured a heavy fire into the left flank, while a battery of cannons unlimbered 75 yards from the road and raked the Tigers’ line. "

CjkCJkCjk
07-22-2016, 03:12 PM
14th NYSM aren't zouves

Hinkel
07-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Hey r there any photos or images of confederate zouaves on the website. I thought I had saw it in the past but now that I am looking back I can't find anything. Was it in a video or something...I am missing it.

We have not released any official CSA Zouave units yet.
Like Wildcat said, we showed some "placeholder" Zouaves in one of the screenshots, but you might see some official Zouaves very soon ;)

JRob
07-22-2016, 06:03 PM
Like Wildcat said, we showed some "placeholder" Zouaves in one of the screenshots, but you might see some official Zouaves very soon ;)
Giggity

Wildcat
07-22-2016, 06:30 PM
So you are gonna release the Confederacy update and second wave of Alpha and include some Zouaves for the confeds soon?!?!!??!!?! lol

JRob
07-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Sounds like it

Jasin210
07-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Sounds like it
Oh lord I can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

JRob
07-22-2016, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up, they might not release it in the report...

Jasin210
07-22-2016, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up, they might not release it in the report...
Well I remember in one thread Hinkel said they were gonna have it soon and some people thought aww it's not gonna have 2nd wave but then Hinkel replied "That's not what I said ;)" Soooo

JRob
07-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Yeah that's true and said playable regiments will be in it like in the first

Legion
07-22-2016, 10:19 PM
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/Images/FieldReport/FieldReport20/Screenshot_7.jpg (from the 20th Field report "Retreat of the Louisiana Brigade"

That is the 1st Louisiana or I think the 10thLA wore Zouave uniforms, But they are wearing the Tiger Rifle uniform and since the Tiger Rifles merged into the 1st Louisiana they kept their old Uniforms.

EDIT: Yup they are the 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion they seem to be wearing the coats given to Coppens Zouaves and the 10th don't seem to be Zouaves. "When the Union infantry rushed towards Miller's Cornfield, they drove the Louisiana Brigade back to the West Woods. Along that brigade was the famous 1st Louisiana Infantry, which had a company of Hay's Wheat Tigers attached. When they finally reached the Hagerstown Pike, the soldiers faced each other across the chest-high rail fences that lined along the road and traded volleys at point blank range. Two regiments of Union sharpshooters joined in the fight and poured a heavy fire into the left flank, while a battery of cannons unlimbered 75 yards from the road and raked the Tigers’ line. "

The 10th may have worn zouave uniforms from what I've read but it's unknown what it looked like. Also the 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion in that screenshot are not wearing Coppens Zouave uniform at all, they are wearing the Tiger Rifles uniform. Coppens jackets had yellow trim not red like you see in the screen. Coppens Zouaves wore the most accurate zouave uniform of any unit.

As far as I know the 1st Louisiana Battalion was never attached to Hays Brigade, the only unit of Hays that was attached to Starkes brigade that day was the 9th Louisiana.

Interesting fact, in the fight at the turnpike against the Iron Brigade, the Louisiana Brigade was one of the last to retreat (from what I've read). The 1st LA Zouaves only had 12 men fit for duty after that fight, the rest were killed or wounded.

Also, when the 1st La Battalion and Wheats Tigers were merged they would have had a mix if uniforms, some from Coppens and some from Wheats, and some regular uniforms for those who lost destroyed theirs from constant use.

Wildcat
07-22-2016, 11:34 PM
The 10th may have worn zouave uniforms from what I've read but it's unknown what it looked like. Also the 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion in that screenshot are not wearing Coppens Zouave uniform at all, they are wearing the Tiger Rifles uniform. Coppens jackets had yellow trim not red like you see in the screen. Coppens Zouaves wore the most accurate zouave uniform of any unit.

As far as I know the 1st Louisiana Battalion was never attached to Hays Brigade, the only unit of Hays that was attached to Starkes brigade that day was the 9th Louisiana.

Interesting fact, in the fight at the turnpike against the Iron Brigade, the Louisiana Brigade was one of the last to retreat (from what I've read). The 1st LA Zouaves only had 12 men fit for duty after that fight, the rest were killed or wounded.

Also, when the 1st La Battalion and Wheats Tigers were merged they would have had a mix if uniforms, some from Coppens and some from Wheats, and some regular uniforms for those who lost destroyed theirs from constant use.

I know the uniform isn't coppens, I said the jacket was (which it wasn't). I only said that because they have blue jackets which were unusual for the Tiger rifles at the time because the Tiger Rifles dyed their coats, And I believe they were given a new type of grey coat prior to Gaines Mill anyway.

I know the 1st LA Zouave Battalion wasn't but from what I understand, After Antietam pretty much all the surviving Tiger Rifles ended up joining regiments in Hays Brigade , So I guess who ever wrote it got confused? IDK. But I didn't write that bit I copied and pasted it from the 20th Field Report with the screenshot, It kinda confused me to because no Tiger Rifles joined Hays Brigade until after Antietam, I saw something where a veteran from Coppens Zouaves said that all Tiger Rifles left because of how small the Battalion had gotten due to them being Massacred at Antietam with only 12 men coming back (others were dead and I think I read some were looting).

Also I looked it up abit more, The 10th Seemed to be Zouaves according to text but Photos show them in a normal Uniform, So I think they may have been Zouaves and then changed their Uniforms (Like the Tiger Rifles did although most Tiger Rifles kept their old clothing and changed out only a few bits IE the coat.)

Legion
07-23-2016, 12:26 AM
I know the uniform isn't coppens, I said the jacket was (which it wasn't). I only said that because they have blue jackets which were unusual for the Tiger rifles at the time because the Tiger Rifles dyed their coats, And I believe they were given a new type of grey coat prior to Gaines Mill anyway.

I know the 1st LA Zouave Battalion wasn't but from what I understand, After Antietam pretty much all the surviving Tiger Rifles ended up joining regiments in Hays Brigade , So I guess who ever wrote it got confused? IDK. But I didn't write that bit I copied and pasted it from the 20th Field Report with the screenshot, It kinda confused me to because no Tiger Rifles joined Hays Brigade until after Antietam, I saw something where a veteran from Coppens Zouaves said that all Tiger Rifles left because of how small the Battalion had gotten due to them being Massacred at Antietam with only 12 men coming back (others were dead and I think I read some were looting).

Also I looked it up abit more, The 10th Seemed to be Zouaves according to text but Photos show them in a normal Uniform, So I think they may have been Zouaves and then changed their Uniforms (Like the Tiger Rifles did although most Tiger Rifles kept their old clothing and changed out only a few bits IE the coat.)

It's not known if all Tiger rifles dyed their coats. Once their uniforms wore out they were issued basic confederate uniforms or just wore what they could find.
All Louisiana troops were called Tigers, the Tiger Rifles were just a single company from the 1st La Special Battalion which ceased to exist after Gaines mill, from my understanding most were merged with Coppens Battalion but some were probably placed in other regiments.

The 10th may have only been zouaves in name, not all units who called themselves zouave actually wore a zouave uniform, the 10th probably wore zouave uniforms of some type but there is no documentation of it. By the time Antietam rolled around mist units were in basic uniforms.

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 01:57 AM
It's not known if all Tiger rifles dyed their coats. Once their uniforms wore out they were issued basic confederate uniforms or just wore what they could find.
All Louisiana troops were called Tigers, the Tiger Rifles were just a single company from the 1st La Special Battalion which ceased to exist after Gaines mill, from my understanding most were merged with Coppens Battalion but some were probably placed in other regiments.

The 10th may have only been zouaves in name, not all units who called themselves zouave actually wore a zouave uniform, the 10th probably wore zouave uniforms of some type but there is no documentation of it. By the time Antietam rolled around mist units were in basic uniforms.

I know. But the Tiger Rifles had a Uniform change where they were issued brand new gray uniforms, They were not Zouave uniforms though and many of the men from Co. B (Tiger Rifles) took certain parts like the hats, Shirts and coats etc, Rather than taking the whole Uniform, The same probably happend to the 10th but the 10th took the whole uniform, Because I found this (albeit on wikipedia) "Wearing zouave uniforms, the regiment was composed of many foreigners including Greeks, Italians, Spaniards, and French; but overall probably about one-third of the unit was Irish", So they probably changed.

Also yeah after Antietam since most of the men who were from the Tiger Rifles detatched from the Zouave Battalion and joined regiments in Hays Brigade meaning the Tiger Rifle Zouave style kinda dissapeared.

I know the Tiger Rifles are just Company B of the 1st Special Battalion, The name Tigers started with the Tiger Rifles, Then it went onto the 1st Special Battalions nickname "Wheats Tigers", Then im not sure where it went after that probably to the Zouave Battalion because it followed the Tiger Rifles, Then onto Hays Brigade and then all Louisiana Troops became known as "Tigers".

Legion
07-23-2016, 02:08 AM
The Tiger nickname started with Co. B of the 1st La Special Battlalion and later became the nickname of the whole battalion. After that Hays brigade was known as Tigers. Coppens Battalion wasn't called Tigers until after Gettysburg from what I've read.
Hays Brigade was known as Tigers before Antietam ever occurred.

The Tiger rifles uniform pretty much was none existent after the Battle of Gaines mill, only buts and pieces remained, that's why you read about the clothing being miss matched and thrown together.

Not sure what you mean by the Zouave battalion following the Tiger rifles?

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 08:08 AM
The Tiger nickname started with Co. B of the 1st La Special Battlalion and later became the nickname of the whole battalion. After that Hays brigade was known as Tigers. Coppens Battalion wasn't called Tigers until after Gettysburg from what I've read.
Hays Brigade was known as Tigers before Antietam ever occurred.

The Tiger rifles uniform pretty much was none existent after the Battle of Gaines mill, only buts and pieces remained, that's why you read about the clothing being miss matched and thrown together.

Not sure what you mean by the Zouave battalion following the Tiger rifles?

That's why I was confused as to why ingame they had a blue coat because in the Maryland Campaign, Most men of the old Tiger Rifles had lost their coat or damaged it so much they abandoned it and switched it out. This is what the Tiger Rifles would of looked like when they merged with the Zouave Battalion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zPSqRWTgA&&ab

ok, I read that the Tiger Rifles were attatched to the Zouave Battalion rather than merged, I don't know if their is any difference though.

(Also thanks for the first bit I didn't know that bit, How much do you know about the Zouave Battalion at gettysburg because I read that they were their, Then I read they were in reserve, But I checked the list of regiments, Battalions, Companys etc and they are not listed.)

Hinkel
07-23-2016, 08:41 AM
This is what the Tiger Rifles would of looked like when they merged with the Zouave Battalion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zPSqRWTgA&&ab

In the video you still see some using the old look, with Baggy Pants, blue Jacket and Fez.
We would rather support their old, famous and unique look. The confederates Zouaves were famous for their look and it would be a shame, to miss that ingame. Even though not many of them would use it at Antietam.

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 08:59 AM
In the video you still see some using the old look, with Baggy Pants, blue Jacket and Fez.
We would rather support their old, famous and unique look. The confederates Zouaves were famous for their look and it would be a shame, to miss that ingame. Even though not many of them would use it at Antietam.

id be happy with that because I am a big fan of the look myself, Some people could of kept their uniform intact so it won't be super un-accurate, Also if we do get customisation later into the game when everything else is done it could be an idea to give them the new uniform they were issued, And you can choose if you just take the coat or hat from it etc.

JaegerCoyote
07-23-2016, 01:14 PM
14th NYSM aren't zouves

The 14th NYSM aka 14th Brooklyn were zouves.

Legion
07-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Cool, I also agree with wildcat that you should allow us to customize it to look like the miss matched look once customization is added. I still think Coppens uniform should be added but I won't complain if it's not, I'm happy enough with the Tiger uniform.

In response to wildcat, I can't find any information about our unit at Gettysburg, I've read that they were there but I don't think they were. They didn't do much fighting after Antietam and were mostly used as guards for the rest of the war.

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Cool, I also agree with wildcat that you should allow us to customize it to look like the miss matched look once customization is added. I still think Coppens uniform should be added but I won't complain if it's not, I'm happy enough with the Tiger uniform.

In response to wildcat, I can't find any information about our unit at Gettysburg, I've read that they were there but I don't think they were. They didn't do much fighting after Antietam and were mostly used as guards for the rest of the war.

I think Coppens will undoubtably be added because all the devs have to do is a tiny bit of research to realise the unit they are doing the Tiger Rifles for was the Coppens Zouaves and they wore a different red uniform. Plus even if they didn't know they do now because ive seen you talk about it ALOT and im sure the devs would of seen atleast one of your posts about it. Also it would be kinda stupid to have a regiment called "Coppens Zouaves" that was filled with hundreds of Coppens Zouaves and only 60 Tigers and only give it the uniform only the Tigers wore.

PLUS if im right Hinkel worked on the ACW mod for Empire Total War that included our unit so he already knows.

Legion
07-23-2016, 03:54 PM
I think Coppens will undoubtably be added because all the devs have to do is a tiny bit of research to realise the unit they are doing the Tiger Rifles for was the Coppens Zouaves and they wore a different red uniform. Plus even if they didn't know they do now because ive seen you talk about it ALOT and im sure the devs would of seen atleast one of your posts about it. Also it would be kinda stupid to have a regiment called "Coppens Zouaves" that was filled with hundreds of Coppens Zouaves and only 60 Tigers and only give it the uniform only the Tigers wore.

PLUS if im right Hinkel worked on the ACW mod for Empire Total War that included our unit so he already knows.

It's ok if they only do the Tiger uniform because they were part of our unit during the Maryland campaign but it would be nice to see both.

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 05:58 PM
I agree, But ive just seen something.

So I finally decided to watch some Alpha footage and I was watching Lord Johns, And as he picks his rank to load into the game their is a list, Private1, Private2 etc, Maybe each one has a different style like guns and uniforms? Im not sure if thats what that is for if anyone wants to confirm that would be nice, Because if that is it, For our company could have one of them wearing wheats Tigers uniform and one of them wearing coppens zouave outfit? im not sure again ive not seen much gameplay so IDK what that feature is yet.

Legion
07-23-2016, 06:14 PM

So I finally decided to watch some Alpha footage and I was watching Lord Johns, And as he picks his rank to load into the game their is a list, Private1, Private2 etc, Maybe each one has a different style like guns and uniforms? Im not sure if thats what that is for if anyone wants to confirm that would be nice, Because if that is it, For our company could have one of them wearing wheats Tigers uniform and one of them wearing coppens zouave outfit? im not sure again ive not seen much gameplay so IDK what that feature is yet.

I'm pretty sure those are just placeholders until they release customization, that way everyone gets a dif uniform instead of just looking the same. Once customization is released there would be no reason to have different selections like pvt1,2 etc etc. You would just select your rank and probably customize your character and then spawn.

Hinkel
07-23-2016, 06:21 PM

That picking was available during the first tests. We changed the spawning system in the upcoming version, so you are not able to choose a pre-designed Private any more.
There won't be any Coppens Zouave Uniform in the next release.

Legion
07-23-2016, 06:24 PM
That picking was available during the first tests. We changed the spawning system in the upcoming version, so you are not able to choose a pre-designed Private any more.
There won't be any Coppens Zouave Uniform in the next release.

Does that mean customization to some degree? Or are yall just removing the pre-designed uniforms and just using one variant?
If you can't answer then that's fine, I'm just extremely curious now.

Hinkel
07-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Does that mean customization to some degree? Or are yall just removing the pre-designed uniforms and just using one variant?
If you can't answer then that's fine, I'm just extremely curious now.

Nope.. you will choose your class and then, the soldier is randomly "created" for you. There are a bunch of presets, which will work for a while, untill we have an own customization ;)

Legion
07-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Nope.. you will choose your class and then, the soldier is randomly "created" for you. There are a bunch of presets, which will work for a while, untill we have an own customization ;)

Sounds good:D

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Can't wait and thank you!

JG93
07-23-2016, 10:31 PM
I think wheats tiger uniform was sweet...feeling those brown jackets.

Legion
07-23-2016, 11:00 PM
I think wheats tiger uniform was sweet...feeling those brown jackets.

Agreed, I like the brown version a little more than the regular, it's the same exact jacket just dyed a brown color. It definitely looks nice and give more of a confederate appearance.

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 11:14 PM
I like the the new jacket they were given that was gray the best.

Jasin210
07-23-2016, 11:26 PM
True

Legion
07-23-2016, 11:29 PM

That one's pretty cool but I just like the look if the brown zouave jacket. Both will be cool to have available once we can customize out character. If they have both types of jackets that is.

JG93
07-24-2016, 01:59 AM
Agreed. I feel like the brown gives a more confederate look. Wouldn't want any mistakes out there.

Legion
07-24-2016, 02:19 AM
Agreed. I feel like the brown gives a more confederate look. Wouldn't want any mistakes out there.

That's exactly why most of the soldiers chose to dye their jackets, because of a friendly fire incident that happened earlier in the war. Definitely a smart thing to do.

JaegerCoyote
07-24-2016, 04:35 AM
grey is nice but I prefer brown and butternut.

Jasin210
07-24-2016, 06:18 AM
Grey gives it a cool feel.

If you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wildcat
07-24-2016, 08:18 AM
the only thing I don't like about the brown is it looks leathery and I hate the leathery look, Also IDK if it is true because my source was the book "Lincolns Life or a Tigers Death" but it said the freshly dyed coats smelled terrible for a long time because of what they used to dye it.