PDA

View Full Version : The Destruction of the 5th NY Zouaves.

A. P. Hill
03-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Second Bull Run/Second Manassas, Longstreet leveled a flanking counter punch to Pope's Army of Virginia. 1st Lt. Hazlett had a battery of artillery that was posted to the left rear of Pope's attacking troops who were more focused on Jackson's men behind the railroad embankment, because there was a report of some Rebel activity to the left. He was to support Maj General Reynolds' Division. Eventually Reynolds was ordered away from that post and directed to take part in the attack on Jackson.

It was then that Hazlett found Brig General Gouverneur Warren and his brigade, the 5th & 10th NY Zouaves, and ask Warren if they would support his guns until further help could be found. Warren deployed 6 companies of the 10th as skirmishers and drew the 5th up in line by the guns with the remaining 4 companies of the 10th NY held in reserve.

The account gets quite descriptive and gory, so if you have a weak stomach you may want to get your puke bucket ready ... (http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/secondmanassas/second-manassas-history-articles/second-battle-of-bull-run.html) Enjoy the article.

Powell.

SemajRednaxela
03-25-2016, 06:36 PM
What 10mins that must have been.....

I imagine that accounts like these would give a rather convincing argument in favour of a high level of blood and gore at full release??

Diversey
03-25-2016, 06:37 PM
That's quite a long read lol

elder_gutknecht
03-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Did you know that some games changes dead for unconscious to get a low PEGI?

Brooklyn
03-26-2016, 12:09 AM
Save the Colors by Keith Rocco
5th New York at 2nd Bull Run

Nice link A.P. Hill

A. P. Hill
03-26-2016, 12:14 AM
That's quite a long read lol

Not really.

Pvt.Scott
03-26-2016, 12:48 AM
"Major Rufus Dawes of the 6th Wisconsin, a regiment savaged in the fight at Brawner’s Farm on August 28, recalled the arrival of Maj. Gen. Fitz John Porter’s V Corps and how the hardened veterans jibed at those they considered ’something quite inferior to the Army of the Potomac.’ Dawes heard one man respond to a Zouave’s disparaging remark: ‘Wait till you get where we have been. You’ll get the slack taken out of your pantaloons and the swell out of your heads.’ The statement was to prove tragically prophetic."
yep.

SemajRednaxela
03-26-2016, 01:01 AM
Not really.

Completely agree,

Time how long it takes to read it against the time it took for all those chaps to fall......

Duke Of Longtree
03-26-2016, 02:42 AM
The regiment 18th georgia was the one who killed both of those regiments

Legion
03-26-2016, 03:04 AM
Very somber story of the brutality of war.
I hope the Devs can capture some of this in game. I know it's a game and the primary reason to play is for fun, but I hope we can come away from this game with a new found respect for what these men went through and the horrors that they experienced.

FirstDiv2Corps
03-26-2016, 03:33 AM
The regiment 18th georgia was the one who killed both of those regiments

I wouldn't say one Confederate regiment so much as the entire weight of Hood's division crashing down on Warren's 2 regiments.

-Mitchell-
03-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Brave souls. Great post, Mr. Hill.