PDA

View Full Version : Hamptons Legion Companies A, D, Cav A, and Washington Artillery

Mageus
06-08-2016, 08:47 PM
This is to reserve the Hampton's legion companies A Washington Light Infantry Volunteers, Co. D Gist Riflemen, Cavalry Co. A Edgefield Hussars, and Washington Artillery

For more information contact Mageus or JesterJC on steam

our steam group Currently the 1st Delaware on North and South http://steamcommunity.com/groups/1st-delaware

Koxxus
06-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Good luck!

Locke1740
06-08-2016, 08:56 PM
double post

Locke1740
06-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Don't want to be a smart elect, but that's the Hamptons Legion Infantry Battlaion and the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry and the artillery would also be a seperate unit

C.S.A. Sniper43
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM
yes but with the way the game is set up all elements where at 2nd Manassas but not Antietam only the infantry battalion was there with hoods brigade and legions from what i could find out where set up as a mini army. but to what u said locke u are part right if u are talking after antietam before u would be wrong

Locke1740
06-08-2016, 09:52 PM
The Legion, I believe was broken up in like August or some month, I know it was broken up before Antietam

C.S.A. Sniper43
06-08-2016, 09:57 PM
it was is late aug but in the order of battle for 2nd bull run it was all one unit but at antietam the inf was with hood and the cav and arty was with stuart and renamed those 2 also

Locke1740
06-08-2016, 11:10 PM
it was is late aug but in the order of battle for 2nd bull run it was all one unit but at antietam the inf was with hood and the cav and arty was with stuart and renamed those 2 also

Yea, they were broken up after 2nd Manasses, just like I said

A. P. Hill
06-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Greetings and welcome Mageus.
Please see my post here. (http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?1961-22nd-Virginia-Infantry-Battalion-Co-A-B-D&p=33637&viewfull=1#post33637)
And pay special attention by clicking the historical link in that post about the Legion. Thank you.

Locke1740
06-08-2016, 11:37 PM
Greetings and welcome Mageus.
Please see my post here. (http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?1961-22nd-Virginia-Infantry-Battalion-Co-A-B-D&p=33637&viewfull=1#post33637)
And pay special attention by clicking the historical link in that post about the Legion. Thank you.

I read that same information
Thank you for providing the link

Btw <3 2nd SC Cavalry
Pvt. John D. W. Leitner, my ancestor

C.S.A. Sniper43
06-09-2016, 12:22 AM
it is stated here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_Confederate_order_of_battle that it was all the same unit at 2nd bull run but also here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_Confederate_order_of_battle it showed them split up and also here it shows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_Confederate_order_of_battle both and here shows the dates they where split http://www.texas-brigade.org/history/hamptons.htm and from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb%27s_Legion it is stated that A "legion" consisted of a single integrated command, with individual components from the infantry, cavalry, and artillery. also btw there are 4 other legions that could be formed also. doing the same thing to them would take out the historical accuracy that the dev team is after. and if u dont want the wike link here is that national parks link for the order of battle of 2nd bull run https://www.nps.gov/mana/learn/historyculture/confederate-order-of-battle.htm

Locke1740
06-09-2016, 12:40 AM
it is stated here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_Confederate_order_of_battle that it was all the same unit at 2nd bull run but also here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_Confederate_order_of_battle it showed them split up and also here it shows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam_Confederate_order_of_battle both and here shows the dates they where split http://www.texas-brigade.org/history/hamptons.htm and from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb%27s_Legion it is stated that A "legion" consisted of a single integrated command, with individual components from the infantry, cavalry, and artillery. also btw there are 4 other legions that could be formed also. doing the same thing to them would take out the historical accuracy that the dev team is after. and if u dont want the wike link here is that national parks link for the order of battle of 2nd bull run https://www.nps.gov/mana/learn/historyculture/confederate-order-of-battle.htm

You can take anything from Wikipedia because you do not know if it is credible, you can't use it as a source

Grey
06-09-2016, 02:42 AM
You can take anything from Wikipedia because you do not know if it is credible, you can't use it as a source
That's an old meme and it needs to die. If you even have a general knowledge of the battles fought, or the civil war in general. You will be able to tell without a doubt if wikipedia is not a good source, (which it generally is in this case)

A. P. Hill
06-09-2016, 02:52 AM
If I may, I think what confuses many people is that they consider a 'legion' to be the same as a 'regiment.' They are not even remotely close. A dictionary reference states:

Legion
noun
1: a group of from 3000 to 6000 soldiers that made up the chief army unit in ancient Rome
2: army
3: a very great number <She has a legion of admirers.>

Regiment
transitive verb
1: to form into or assign to a regiment
2a: to organize rigidly especially for the sake of regulation or control
2b: to subject to order or uniformity

Note that 2b under regiment states uniformity. You cannot have that uniformity by combining arms into a single unit. Even in a Legion the arms were separated into individual units as will be shown below. Even Hampton's Legion as defined in the above post and link indicate that all three arms that composed the Legion were all separate units in that multiple units used the same company designation, but that did not make them part of the same company or regiment.

As we know the Legion was formed by orders from SC's governor in 1861, after some time in SC getting organized and etc., the Legion moved to Columbia and was formerly inspected and mustered into the service of the Confederate States of America. At the end of June 1861 the Legion moved to Richmond, Virginia where they went into camp at "The Rocketts" a flat on the James River.

The cavalry and artillery missed the Battle of 1st Manassas due to the late arrival of the cavalry's horses and the artillery's cannons. The Legion Infantry however was heavily engaged and lost 35 killed and over 100 wounded.

Following 1st Manassas the Legion was moved to an area around Pohick Church, VA. The cavalry was placed at picket posts and Hampton used them to aggressively engage Federal scouts, reconnaissance forces and in conjunction with the Infantry, to ambush larger Federal forces caught advancing into Virginia. The Legion artillery was not idle during this time either, they were assigned to help blockade the Potomac River and got their first taste of action against a fleet of seven Federal gunboats at Freestone Point, VA, an engagement which resulted in one sunken Federal gunboat and severely damaging two others.

In April 1862 while the Legion was encamped near Yorktown, VA the Army of Northern Virginia underwent a re-organization. The Legion was broken up into three parts. The Cavalry commanded by Butler would be attached to Rosser Cavalry Brigade, Hampton would command the Infantry which was attached to General Hoods Texas Brigade and Hart's Battery would be attached to Stuart's horse artillery.

And here's the part that confuses everyone; Despite being divided, and the Legion disbanded as an organization, these men from the Palmetto State, would always think of themselves first and foremost as part of Hampton's Legion. Historians would fall into the same 'trap' and call the infantry in Hood's Brigade the Hampton Legion when all it was, was just the infantry after April 1862.

Some National Park Service Information on Hampton's Legion (https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=CSCHAMPL)

Hampton Legion (http://corktree.tripod.com/South_Carolina_Cavalry_Units_in_the_War_of_the_Reb ellion) (below is from this website.)

Hampton's Legion Commanders:
Field Officers: Colonel Wade Hampton; Colonel Martin W. Gary; Colonel Thomas M. Logan; Lieutenant Colonel Robert B. Arnold; Lieutenant Colonel James B. Griffin; Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin I. Johnson; Major Matthew C. Butler; Major James Conner; Major J. Hervey Dingle, Jr; Major Stephen D. Lee; Major Benjamin E. Nicholson.

Organized on 12 June 1861, with a battalion each of cavalry, infantry, and artillery; the battalions, however, they did not serve together. They were temporarily stationed together watching the approaches to Richmond on the Potomac River where they were not engaged in any major battles, but merely picket duties and light skirmishes.

Infantry Battalion Engagements:
First Manassas, Infantry Battalion; Seven Pines, 370 engaged; Sharpsburg; North Carolina; Chickamauga; Knoxville; in May 1862 the Infantry Battalion was reorganized, mounted, and consolidated with the 2nd South Carolina Volunteer Cavalry; in April 1862 had 658 officers and men present; Gaines Mill; Second Manassas; Maryland Campaign; Wauhatchie. In May, 1864, the infantry units were reorganized, mounted, and called the Hampton Legion Cavalry.

Cavalry Battalion Engagements:
Seven Days Battles, Cavalry Battalion; the Cavalry Battalion was consolidated with 2nd South Carolina Cavalry during the Summer of 1862.

Artillery Battalion Engagements:
A Company, Washington Artillery, Charleston: Captain Stephen D. Lee, took command 31 August 1861; Captain James F. Hart took command on 31 October 1861
B Company, German Light Artillery, Charleston: Captain W.K. Bachman

---

Hampton Legion Infantry Battalion as organized at First Manassas:
A Company, Washington Light Infantry, Charleston
B Company, Davis Guards, Greenville
C Company, Gist Riflemen, Union,
D Company, Bozeman Guards, Greenville
E Company, Watson Guards, Edgefield
F Company, Manning Guards, Clarendon

Hampton Legion Infantry Battalion after 1862:
A Company, Washington Light Infantry, Charleston: Captain James Conner
B Company, Watson Guards, Edgefield: Captain M.W. Gary
C Company, Manning Guards, Clarendon: Captain B. Manning
D Company, Gist Guards, Gist Rifles, Union: Captain H.J. Smith
E Company, Bozeman Guards, Greenville: Captain T.L. Boseman
F Company, Davis Guards, Greenville: Captain W.M.L. Austin; Captain J.S. Austin
G Company, Claremont Rifles: Captain James G. Spann
H Company, South Carolina Zouave Rifles, Zouave Volunteers, Richland: Captain L.C. McCord
I Company: Captain James Hawthorne
K Company, South Carolina Battalion: Captain John H. Bowen

Hampton Legion Cavalry Battalion as organized after First Manassas:
Company A (also known as Brooks Troop)
Company B (also known as the Edgefield Hussars)
Company C (also known as the Beaufort District Troop)

Hampton Legion Cavalry Battalion as organized from 1862:
Company A (also known as the Edgefield Hussars and Edgefield Dragoons): Captain M.C. Butler
Company B (also known as the Brooks Troop, Brooks Guards, Brooks Dragoons): Captain J.F. Lanneau
Company C (also known as the Beaufort District Troop and Beaufort Dragoons): Captain T.E. Screven
Company D (also known as the Congaree Troop and the Congaree Mounted Rifles or Riflemen): Captain Thomas Taylor

These companies were listed on the Hampton Legion website:
Company E
Company F
Company G
Company H
Miller's Company

Another Reference. (https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Hampton_Legion,_South_Carolina)

Respectfully,
Powell

C.S.A. Sniper43
06-09-2016, 02:54 AM
so then this whole issue is ok for the legion to be formed based on "The name of your regiment and the company you pick within that regiment is vital. It is what you will be known as, what people will remember you as. There are different ways you can pick a name. You could scour the internet in search of a historically accurate name. Or you can make one up. Keep in mind however, you want your name to be unique. It will save everybody a lot of confusion, and make you more recognizable on the field of battle." from Bravescot as posted in http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?957-Read-before-forming-a-unit!

A. P. Hill
06-09-2016, 03:06 AM
Please keep in mind that the game will only have the units available that fought at Antietam for selection. These unit names in the forums are not carry overs. And there will be much emphasis I think put on realistic battle playing. In which case someone with a unit designation that was not associated with the Maryland Campaign may not be invited to play on the various servers when set up as realistic and historical.

And if you go check the orders of battles listed on the top of each USA and CSA company thread, you'll find at the very bottom a list of unrelated units, all taken from these forums.

TheDoctor
06-09-2016, 03:09 AM
ok, ok, ladys ladys all your arguments are great however legions were formed to be under a single leader. It isn't a brigade because it was a part of Hoods Brigade, and it is not technically not a regiment because it is a combination of many SMALL regiments. This means there is no actual format on these forums for it. This being said, the head commander is a Colonel, and since it was a bunch of small regiments they can basically be looked upon as companies. So please everyone in game this group will use the name Hampton's Legion as a LEGION or in other words it will have the same format as a REGIMENT. If someone wants to use the name "2nd South Carolina Cav" go right ahead, just let it be know NO ONE else can use the name Hampton's Legion or any of the names of the groups a part of it PRIOR to its split!!!!!

TheDoctor
06-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Please keep in mind that the game will only have the units available that fought at Antietam for selection. These unit names in the forums are not carry overs. And there will be much emphasis I think put on realistic battle playing. In which case someone with a unit designation that was not associated with the Maryland Campaign may not be invited to play on the various servers when set up as realistic and historical.

And if you go check the orders of battles listed on the top of each USA and CSA company thread, you'll find at the very bottom a list of unrelated units, all taken from these forums.

And for this I do not mean any disrespect but there is a limited amount of units in the game and if regiments become restricted to only play the unit of their regiment and regiments without a unit are not allowed to play then what type of game is this? It is a game and I realize yall want it to be or at least the gameplay of it to be as historically accurate as possible, but that dosnt mean you should not invite or not allow regiments with names that arnt in the game to events. Sure they might not have the same name as a unit in game but that dosnt mean they wont play with historically accurate tactics and play as one of the units in game. They will have to play as a unit in game, as it would be impossible to play if they didn't. That being said, I think it would stupid to prevent different companies from coming just because they were not fast enough of the forums to claim a famous regiment that was in the campaign, or in the Hampton's Legion case, a group of people who just didn't claim the name of one of the various split offs and instead claimed the legion. Its not like they wont be playing one of the VARIOUS HISTORICAL ACCURATE UNITS that yall place in the game anyway. Doesn't really matter what their "claimed" name on the forums is if anyone can play any unit in game. I mean just look at NaS it has many regiments that were in and not in First Man and yet everyone plays units of regiments that were in first Man and no one is not invited to an event on the simple fact that their forum claimed reg was not in the campaign.

Bravescot
06-09-2016, 03:54 PM
And for this I do not mean any disrespect but there is a limited amount of units in the game and if regiments become restricted to only play the unit of their regiment and regiments without a unit are not allowed to play then what type of game is this? It is a game and I realize yall want it to be or at least the gameplay of it to be as historically accurate as possible, but that dosnt mean you should not invite or not allow regiments with names that arnt in the game to events. Sure they might not have the same name as a unit in game but that dosnt mean they wont play with historically accurate tactics and play as one of the units in game. They will have to play as a unit in game, as it would be impossible to play if they didn't. That being said, I think it would stupid to prevent different companies from coming just because they were not fast enough of the forums to claim a famous regiment that was in the campaign, or in the Hampton's Legion case, a group of people who just didn't claim the name of one of the various split offs and instead claimed the legion. Its not like they wont be playing one of the VARIOUS HISTORICAL ACCURATE UNITS that yall place in the game anyway. Doesn't really matter what their "claimed" name on the forums is if anyone can play any unit in game. I mean just look at NaS it has many regiments that were in and not in First Man and yet everyone plays units of regiments that were in first Man and no one is not invited to an event on the simple fact that their forum claimed reg was not in the campaign.

I think you missed his point by a mile. He's saying that there will be plenty of event available however there is a chance at unrealistic units, like say someone named their unit the 22nd Volunteer Infantry and had a line, Cav and arty company, might be turned away from the far more serious events at the organiser's discretion. If your regiment didn't fight in the campaign but is still a realistic unit not many will bat an eye at letting them into the event.

Mageus
06-09-2016, 08:02 PM
So the moral of the story is I chose to represent Hamptons legion as it was organised at muster that include companies of infantry cavalry and artillery. It is historically accurate to the time period that our community wishes to represent in our army/brigade.

C.S.A. Sniper43
06-09-2016, 09:08 PM
at least with the hamptons leagion it is be started as a historical unit the way it was formed at first that inwich makes it a realistic unit since it fought in the campaign of sept 1862. doing it this way also allowes the units after the split to be used under the command of another unit/regiment. this is a special case that needs to be looked at as the same way the whole 10 company's to a regiment was looked at and then over turned to be more historically accurate for 12 company's.

Challis89
06-10-2016, 03:56 PM
I don't see why you can't call your overall formation the Hampton Legion but you can't hold exclusive rights to that name as each unit within it had multiple companies and others can form companies that were part of said Legion and use the name. Its the same principle as reserving whole regiments which is a no no.

Remember unlike NaS there will be a formal tool in game for creating your company with historical names and ranks pre set. So in comparison it's like war thunder or world of warcraft the clan will be formed and you join within the game.

JesterJc
06-10-2016, 10:30 PM
I don't see why you can't call your overall formation the Hampton Legion but you can't hold exclusive rights to that name as each unit within it had multiple companies and others can form companies that were part of said Legion and use the name. Its the same principle as reserving whole regiments which is a no no.

Remember unlike NaS there will be a formal tool in game for creating your company with historical names and ranks pre set. So in comparison it's like war thunder or world of warcraft the clan will be formed and you join within the game.

Yes we understand that, we are just reserving these companies. Not the entire Hampton's Legion. The problem is historically the unit broke up in the middle of the time period this game takes place in, we will be using these companies and company names. Anyone else has the right to claim other companies within Hampton's Legion or use the names they had after the break.

A. P. Hill
06-10-2016, 10:42 PM
I just want to take time to say think you for understanding and making the needed corrections. Job well done Gentlemen. We of the Light Division look forward to seeing you on the field with the rest of the Texas boys! ;)

<edit> I presume you mean Hart's Battery with your choice of the name Washington Artillery. </edit>
Thanks!

C.S.A. Sniper43
06-10-2016, 11:47 PM
it is not the la arty but https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Walter's_Company,_South_Carolina_Light_Artillery_( Washington_Artillery) that was put into csa in This battery was one of four sent to occupy Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island on 27 December 1860. It was stationed on Bull's Island from 18 July to 6 August 1861, and was transferred to Confederate service in February 1862. https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/1st_Regiment,_South_Carolina_Artillery_(Militia) then later renamed harts battery

C.S.A. Sniper43
06-11-2016, 02:28 AM
i think they are after Washington Artillery before the split to have Hart's Battery open for another unit that would want to use it

Grant97
06-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Best of luck to you! See you in the battlefield! :D