PDA

View Full Version : 18th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Companies A, C, D, F, G, H, and I

T.P.Anderson
06-18-2016, 01:59 AM
18th Georgia Volunteer Infantry

History

The 18th Georgia Volunteer Infantry was an infantry regiment in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. Originally brigaded with the three Texas regiments of John Bell Hood's Texas Brigade, it was transferred to Thomas R.R. Cobb's Georgia Brigade after the Battle of Antietam in late 1862. After General Cobb was mortally wounded at Battle of Fredericksburg, the original colonel of the 18th Georgia, William T. Wofford, became Brigadier General of the Georgia Brigade.

Initial deployment and service

The 18th Georgia briefly guarded prisoners in Richmond captured at the First Battle of Bull Run (Manassas) and served garrison duty for two weeks in Goldsboro, North Carolina. In November they were sent north to the area of Dumfries, Virginia along the Potomac River where they were attached to the 1st, 4th and 5th Texas regiments to form a "full" brigade.

For the next year they would be an integral member of the Texas Brigade as it fought from the Peninsula Campaign to Antietam. The regiment was first engaged at the Battle of Eltham's Landing and the Battle of Seven Pines. It served conspicuously during the Seven Days Battle where, along with their Texas compatriots, they broke the line at the Battle of Gaines' Mill, effectively ending McClellan's campaign, and resulting in casualties of
37 killed and 106 wounded.

Two months later, the regiment distinguished itself again at the Second Battle of Bull Run where members captured two stands of colors (those of the 24th and 10th New York Infantry regiments), and where, along with the Texas Brigade, they spearheaded Longstreet's assault on Pope's left, nearly wiping out the 5th New York Zouaves and captured a battery of four guns. Casualties were 37 dead and 87 wounded. Three weeks later, the 18th fought at the Battle of Antietam losing 14 killed and 30 wounded.

Under orders of the Confederate States War Department, the 18th Georgia Infantry was transferred from the Texas Brigade to the Georgia Brigade and went into camp at Fredericksburg, Virginia. In the ensuing Battle of Fredericksburg, the regiment fought behind the stone wall on Marye's Heights sustaining losses of 14 killed and 30 wounded while inflicting heavy casualties upon the enemy

Notable Commanders
Brig. Gen. William T. Wofford

Companies
Company A: Cobb County — "Acworth Infantry"
Company C: Jackson County — "Jackson County Volunteers"
Company D: Dougherty County — "Davis Invincibles"
Company F: Bartow County — "Davis Guards"
Company G: Bartow County — "Lewis Volunteers"
Company H: Bartow County — "Rowland Highlanders"
Company I: Dooly County — "Dooly Light Infantry"
Company Commanders
Company A: Cobb County — "Acworth Infantry" -Captain O'Neil
Company C: Jackson County — "Jackson County Volunteers"- Captain Matt
Company D: Dougherty County — "Davis Invincibles" - Captain Samuel Davis
Company F: Bartow County — "Davis Guards" - Captain Robert Colt
Company G: Bartow County — "Lewis Volunteers" - N/A
Company H: Bartow County — "Rowland Highlanders" - Captain Bill Anderson
Company I: Dooly County — "Dooly Light Infantry" - N/A

Volunteers Sign up Below

Volunteering Forum
Name for In-Game
EU/NA:
Steam Name:
Why do you want to join the 18th Georgia Volunteer Infantry

The Rights to these Company now are reserved to T.P. Anderson

T.P.Anderson
06-18-2016, 02:00 AM
Please Lock/Delete the old 18th Georgia Post please

Bravescot
06-18-2016, 06:42 AM
Please Lock/Delete the old 18th Georgia Post please

I'm going to be locking and deleting this one unless you explain to me why you need 7 companies.

Hairywarhero
06-18-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm going to be locking and deleting this one unless you explain to my why you need 7 companies.

Ouch xD ;)

General. Jackson
06-18-2016, 01:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Wb7etKq.gif

So the Confederate army didn't work out eh?

Honestly man just join a regiment, doesn't appear to be working, perhaps start off with 1 company and if you grow consider opening more. I do however admire your um ambition.

and the rights aren't reserved till you go reserve them with a confirmation.

T.P.Anderson
06-18-2016, 04:25 PM
This what I have been told to Reserve so Yea no need to get snappy with me

T.P.Anderson
06-18-2016, 04:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Wb7etKq.gif

So the Confederate army didn't work out eh?

Honestly man just join a regiment, doesn't appear to be working, perhaps start off with 1 company and if you grow consider opening more. I do however admire your um ambition.

]

and the rights aren't reserved till you go reserve them with a confirmation.

This aint mine I was asked to do this by someone else so yea

Bravescot
06-18-2016, 04:29 PM
This aint mine I was asked to do this by someone else so yea

Then that other person can come and explain to me why they need 7 companies. I'm locking this thread down now as well.