PDA

View Full Version : VOIP Suggestion

MilitantMonkey
07-01-2014, 01:06 AM
First of all I would like to officially say thank you for creating and forming something like this for me to follow through development :D I have become so bored and tired with all this modern stuff, it's time to take a break, while also maybe living my ancestors past who fought during the Civil War! Long Live the South ;D

Now, I don't know if this has been suggested or something like it at least. However I do have a recommendation for a few ways of communicating in game. These may seem a bit out there and could take a while to develop, but just bear with me. These ideas I have is a alike to other games, however with some changes to either better fit the American Civil War experience or to make the VOIP better in general, these suggestions could make the realism experience a lot more fun.

My first suggestion would be is to have an in-game VOIP, especially for direct communication (since it was during the 1860s, there were no radios, so bugles and other signals would be irrelevant for a VOIP). You can see examples of this is in the ArmA series, where they have "Direct Communication" "Group Channel" "Global Channel" etc. To keep a more realistic aspect, I would just recommend having a direct communication aspect.

My second suggestion would be to create a plug-in of some sorts for Teamspeak 3. My idea for this comes from the ACRE and Taskforce Radio plug-ins in the ArmA series of course. Basically this plug-in makes talking in Teamspeak a direct communication once you're in game. Although this could be very efficient in the sense of different regiments being able to have their own Teamspeak servers and have better communication, the set-up process may not be as easy. Could this work as a mod? Possibly, but that would be up to you guys if you would want to allow.

Thanks for taking the time for reading my suggestion and I look forward to posting other suggestions and comments as I come across them. Keep up the great work guys! :D

Rithal
07-01-2014, 02:10 AM
Plus one! Although I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that a teamspeak plugin wont be necessary if just a directional VOIP feature was implemented into the game from the start. This bypasses the need for team speak to communicate or hear other people. It would also be irritating to switch team speaks every time you wanted to switch servers. So, I would shoot more for the in game, built in feature.

MilitantMonkey
07-01-2014, 03:59 AM
The only problem, which I failed to mention in the original text, is that through an in-game VOIP, the codec quality may not be good. Depending on a person's internet and the server's location to that person, it can be bad. Now if both of these were made, public players can use the direct chat while regiments can still use their Teamspeaks while playing. Of course, it is probably a long process, however the reward would be fantastic and communication would be better. That is one thing I don't like about Mount and Blade is that you have to type if you want to talk to guys on your team, or if you're playing with your regiment in Teamspeak, there's many, many people all speaking at once if unorganized.

TrustyJam
07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Thank you for your input. VOIP is something we've been wanting to have ever since WoR development began so we'll be sure to explore every possible solution. :)

- Trusty