PDA

View Full Version : Mascots

PvtPalmer11pvi
07-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Is there any thought of adding Regimental Mascots for units you guys are selecting to create? Mascots played A huge role in Morale for men (and women pretending to be men) in the ranks. Many Documented cases Primarily Dogs and also including Horses....

I know the The 26th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry had a badger as a mascot (The Badger State) and the The 43rd Mississippi Infantry kept a camel named Douglas, which was killed by a minie ball during the seige of Vicksburg.

But it seems Dogs were the standards..often given as gifts to the Regiments.
I'm not bragging but it appears Sallie the Brindle Bull Terrier of the 11th Pennsylvania is the most recognized from the people I have talked to with the second being Old Harvey a white bulldog from the 104th Ohio.

Maybe they could incorporate some kind of morale boost? Just a thought.

A photo of the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry's monument at Gettysburg with our beloved Sallie standing eternal watch. (Sallie was killed at the battle of Hatcher's Run in Feb. , 1865 and was with the Regiment since when they set out to Mannassas)

Rithal
07-06-2014, 05:25 PM
This would be very interesting. If it would delay the release date to put something like this in, then put in in at a later date. On the other hand, if you can put this in and still release on your planned date (if you have one) then go for it. Also of course if the engine would permit things like this, although I don't see a reason why it would not.

PvtPalmer11pvi
07-06-2014, 09:19 PM
I think it would be neat mascots aren't really something you hear about much during the Civil War..Imagine amongst the carnage in the heat of battle a mascot marching along with the regiment providing some kind of boost in morale or even reload time or tearing into an enemy soldier lol. Then again it may be too much but hey its something fun to think about

1SGT Shannon
07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Following is an excerpt regarding the 1st MD Battalion (CSA) in which their mascot is referenced:
Colonel Wallace of the Union 1st Maryland wrote, "The 1st Maryland Confederate Regiment met us and were cut to pieces. We sorrowfully gathered up many of our old friends and acquaintances and had them carefully and tenderly cared for." Included among these dead was the battalion's mascot, Grace. Union General Thomas Kane recalled, "He licked someone's hand, they said, after he was perfectly riddled." Kane ordered the dog given decent burial "as the only Christian minded being on either side."
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fnOObkBYKHU/TTiC0lL6mWI/AAAAAAAAF5M/d2RfrgFUg8A/s1600/Wallcate.com+-+Don+Troiani-Paintings+%252862%2529.jpg