PDA

View Full Version : Cannon and musket smoke

mineshadows
08-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I know this may be a bit early, but will there be realistic smoke from muskets and artillery? If there is will it also affect aiming visibility on the battlefield? Thank you 😊

[RG]Chewie
08-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I am sure there will be a ton of smoke in the main battle lines. So much so the you maight have to have an officer crouch under the smoke to make sure the regiment is still shooting at the enemy.

mineshadows
08-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Awesome. With cryengine 3 if the developers can get close to this kind of smoke, that'll be even better. But if they can't that's fine. They can take however long they want to finish this great masterpiece.

http://randyroberts.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/img-1522.jpg

TrustyJam
08-05-2014, 12:07 AM
Realistic smoke is high on our priority list - it just wouldn't be the same without it!

- Trusty

mineshadows
08-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the news trusty, appreciate it.��

Soulfly
08-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Sadly i don't know much about the CryEngine 3, but i hope that smoke will not be a "performance-beast" as seen in other games. I think about 200 players shooting and producing smoke....

Rithal
08-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Works fine in Napoleonic Wars. Then again the mount and blade engine is just.... not even comparable to what this game will be using. But still, same general concept.

AlekoTheGreek
09-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Black powder smoke is a must if you want to get the feeling the soldiers had, it also looks very cool & gives a more tactical apporach to all engagements, from small skirmishes to large line battles... when you company/battery starts firing, the smoke will automatically give away your position.

[RG]Chewie
09-22-2014, 03:42 PM
The smokeyness of the field was also highly dependant on the humidity at the time. The more humid it was the more the smoke would hang around.

Rithal
09-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Interesting. I didn't know that. I suppose it makes sense.

mineshadows
09-22-2014, 09:16 PM
So I guess there's going to be a possibility of friendly fire in the cornfield on both sides right? I can't
imagine the anxiety of soldiers crossing into the cornfield not knowing what's happening all around them.

Rithal
09-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Most definitely. Friendly fire is going to play a big part in the game.

SemajRednaxela
04-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Thought I'd drag this debate back up from the depths.

Musket and Rifle smoke obviously played a massive part of 'Napoleonic' battle strategy and has always been very difficult to replicate in games.

Due to the location of the battle (around a river) and the time of day it took place (early in the morning) it's fair to assume it would have been a very smokey affair. This lovely brief history video gives a fantastic impression of lingering smoke. Especially in the cornfield.

https://youtu.be/xdm0rV_igko

We've all seen the training camp video of privates firing at targets... I honeslty thought the smoke was very underwhelming for a game using CE and looking for full realism / immersion.

On a non smoke related issue. The video I linked to shows lots and lots of TRAMPLED CORN!

Again I know the Devs are really happy with corn leaves that move when you brush past them. But I can't help thinking it would have been easier and quicker to save on technically clever moving corn and just have it simpler and destructable......

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?796-Destructible-Environment&highlight=destructible

Legion
04-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Thought I'd drag this debate back up from the depths.

Musket and Rifle smoke obviously played a massive part of 'Napoleonic' battle strategy and has always been very difficult to replicate in games.

Due to the location of the battle (around a river) and the time of day it took place (early in the morning) it's fair to assume it would have been a very smokey affair. This lovely brief history video gives a fantastic impression of lingering smoke. Especially in the cornfield.

https://youtu.be/xdm0rV_igko

We've all seen the training camp video of privates firing at targets... I honeslty thought the smoke was very underwhelming for a game using CE and looking for full realism / immersion.

On a non smoke related issue. The video I linked to shows lots and lots of TRAMPLED CORN!

Again I know the Devs are really happy with corn leaves that move when you brush past them. But I can't help thinking it would have been easier and quicker to save on technically clever moving corn and just have it simpler and destructable......

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?796-Destructible-Environment&highlight=destructible

The battle actually took place throughout the entire day, but yes it was very smokey I'm sure.
Also, the reason theirs not much smoke in the drill camp video is because one musket doesn't produce alot of smoke, once everyone starts firing is when you can expect the smoke to build.

Cube210
04-18-2016, 03:56 PM
The battle actually took place throughout the entire day, but yes it was very smokey I'm sure.
Also, the reason theirs not much smoke in the drill camp video is because one musket doesn't produce alot of smoke, once everyone starts firing is when you can expect the smoke to build.

I was just gonna touch on that.
A few muskets = meh it'll drift off pretty quick.

It should also be taken note that reenactors using blanks produce a different signature then actual rounds being fired. This should be considered when looking in terms of reference.

You start getting 12+ folks it gets real.
Or when you have two guys with two colt walkers each unleashing hell :D

SemajRednaxela
04-18-2016, 07:03 PM
I'm wouldnt be asking for this:-
https://youtu.be/6FqWIbSu7RI

However the smoke does look better at 2.05 in the officer corps video. And with what looks like 6 union men firing Inc officer :-
https://youtu.be/eb5t0beORHE

But I still feel it doesn't look right colour or body wise.

Legion
04-18-2016, 07:47 PM
It should also be taken note that reenactors using blanks produce a different signature then actual rounds being fired. This should be considered when looking in terms of reference.

Agreed, I hope they use actual recordings of live firing instead of just blanks.

elder_gutknecht
04-20-2016, 07:17 AM
And what about graphics settings, just suppose that you can use low or medium quality graphics, what's means you will see better through the smoke and give you an advantage
May be i wrong, but this "cheat" it's used by a lot of gamers

R21
04-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Most definitely. Friendly fire is going to play a big part in the game.

I'm glad this is the case, they removed friendly fire in Verdun and it takes away a massive dimension from the Game imo.

Lyman Trumbull
04-20-2016, 08:10 AM
And what about graphics settings, just suppose that you can use low or medium quality graphics, what's means you will see better through the smoke and give you an advantage
May be i wrong, but this "cheat" it's used by a lot of gamers

In a Q&A livestream they said that lowering graphics wont give you any advantages other than higher fps.

Landree
04-20-2016, 01:49 PM
I was in the cornfield battle at the Maryland My Maryland reenactment.

It was extremely and uncomfortably humid in the morning. The cannon smoke adds the most smoke to a battlefield until the regiments really get into it.

Yes, there was trampled corn everywhere. I distinctly remember the stalks getting caught between my legs rather than under my feet, haha.

During the fighting I could not see the union at all. It was just corn and smoke. At the best I could hear their vollies. We could've been 15 yards away and I wouldn't have known. The sun became a red dot in the sky.

Once the sun came towards noon, the humidity and much of the smoke burned off.

Colonel P. R. Page
04-21-2016, 02:51 AM
I was in the cornfield battle at the Maryland My Maryland reenactment.

It was extremely and uncomfortably humid in the morning. The cannon smoke adds the most smoke to a battlefield until the regiments really get into it.

Yes, there was trampled corn everywhere. I distinctly remember the stalks getting caught between my legs rather than under my feet, haha.

During the fighting I could not see the union at all. It was just corn and smoke. At the best I could hear their vollies. We could've been 15 yards away and I wouldn't have known. The sun became a red dot in the sky.

Once the sun came towards noon, the humidity and much of the smoke burned off.

From the research I did on the battle that sounds about right.

Plus it sounds a lot like some of the original firsthand accounts.

Here are some realistic sounds of battle I think should be added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-GYnptfIM

Bullet wizz ingame please?

TrustyJam
04-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Bullet wizzes have been there for a few months. :) In terms of destructive cornstalks being easier than bending ones, nope they are not. We have the best visual and performance friendly solution at the moment with the bending of the crops.

On the smoke debate, yeah we're aware that the smoke from a single rifle appears very insignificant compared to an entire line firing and have gone for as good a middleground as we could come up with. Naturally, we may tweak it further in the future. :)

- Trusty

SemajRednaxela
04-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Thanks Trusty.

Promise that was my last mention of corn.

Really happy to hear that ballistics will 'wizz' and look forward to seeing company scale smoke in the drill camp.

Sir Doctor Professor
04-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Bullet wizzes have been there for a few months. :) In terms of destructive cornstalks being easier than bending ones, nope they are not. We have the best visual and performance friendly solution at the moment with the bending of the crops.

On the smoke debate, yeah we're aware that the smoke from a single rifle appears very insignificant compared to an entire line firing and have gone for as good a middleground as we could come up with. Naturally, we may tweak it further in the future. :)

- Trusty

Trust TrustyJam, the trustiest of jams.