PDA

View Full Version : West Point

MilitantMonkey
08-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I've been doing some thinking and I came up with a little idea. Since everyone is ever so increasingly anticipating this game's release, why not have a little "activity" to keep our minds entertained. So what is the first thing you do when preparing for war, if you want to be an officer? Go to West Point Military Academy. I don't know if any of you might be getting the idea that I have, but basically we can all meet and talk and prepare each other with different battle strategies while we wait for the game to come out. Then, just like the actual War, when the game comes out, everyone goes their separate ways to join the Union or the Confederacy. Then as regiments are formed and battles take place between the different regiments, you could say something like, "Oh I went to 'West Point' with (insert name here) and we were really good friends." Don't tell me I'm the only one that finds this fun and entertaining. Now who would the instructors be? Well I have no idea, maybe if the members of the development team would have extra time and would be more than willing, then that might work.

GeorgeCrecy
08-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Hey there Monkey,

I laughed slightly when I read your post, not because it isn't a good idea, but because you might not know the reality of what an education at West Point was like during the period that the future Civil War generals went there.
Life at West Point was much like a combination of being at a liberal arts college, with classes like drawing landscapes and people, French or Spanish language studies, Chemistry, Geology, and two or three classes on the tactics of the branches and gunnery training (From the inception of the school through to even today in some ways, the main goal was to produce good civil/military engineers.), and the rest of the time at the academy was spent being much like an enlisted soldier, with caring for equipage and weaponry, drilling, inspections, etc.

Were you guys to take up something like this, I might suggest a more practical set of curriculum! ;)

MilitantMonkey
08-16-2014, 05:07 AM
Right, I think focusing more on the tactical side of things rather than focusing on the more literary subjects such as Chemistry, Geology, etc., wouldn't be as hyper-realistic as some may hope for, but would be more of an attraction. Since we would not have a set place to practice hands on (i.e setting up scenarios on a "battlefield", etc.) it would be difficult. And of course, every soldier has to go through what it is like the be an enlisted soldier, it's all part of training. But what the whole point of this would be, is to prepare ourselves more mentally while getting the know the community a bit better and "personal" per se. I believe everyone would get along, but once the War breaks out, we're still friends, but enemies fighting for what we believe in. I just believe that it can give the non-developer community, and even developers if they so please, something to be able to do rather than sitting around reading forum posts while we wait for a release.

Edit 11:18: Added ", and even developers if they so please,"

Soulfly
08-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Actually i like the idea, but since there are not that much ACW shooters out there we will have some difficulties. But i would recommend playing games like "Napoleonic Wars" or maybe "Battlegrounds 2", you will learn how to fight and maneuver your men during a "line-battle" or get an idea about the tactical challenges.

I think the CryEngine3 will bring the whole thing to whole new level, because the environment will have a bigger impact then before...at last i hope so.

MilitantMonkey
08-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Well, I do want to say that if anyone is seriously interested in the idea and is willing to try it out and see how well it goes, just add me on steam and we can figure something out. My username is MilitantMonkey. Anybody is welcome!