PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Davis Cavalry Legion (Mississippi) Co. A

aaron1234q
08-05-2016, 04:54 AM
Jeff Davis Cavalry Legion (Mississippi) Company A.

http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/Brandy-Station.jpg

HISTORICAL NOTES:

(Organized Oct. 24, 1861 at Manassas, VA, as 2nd Cav. Bn. with 3 Miss. companies and 1 Ala. company, Maj. William T. Martin; designated Jeff Davis Legion late 1861 after adding 1 Georgia and 1 Alabama company; increased to regiment July 11, 1864 with addition of 4 more non-Mississippi companies. The regiment served with Wade Hampton's Cavalry, Army of Northern Virginia. It was surrendered April 26, 1865)

The cavalry companies of Captains Martin, Gordon and Perrin went to Virginia independently. It was ordered August 17, 1861, that "A troop of Mississippi horse, under Capt. W. T. Martin, now at Ashland, will march as soon as possible to Manassas and join the army of the Potomac." On September 17 'Capt. James Gordon, of the Chickasaw Rangers, Mississippi cavalry, will proceed with his company to Manassas, Va., and report to General.Johnston.' And a special order of October 24, 1861, required that "The following companies will be organized into a battalion, the designation of which will be the Second Battalion of Mississippi cavalry, Maj. William T. Martin commanding; Captain Martin's company of Mississippi cavalry, Captain Gordon's company of Mississippi cavalry, Captain Perrins company of Mississippi cavalry Captain Stone's company of Alabama cavalry." Subsequently the battalion was merged with three companies of Love's Alabama battalion and a Georgia company, to form the Jeff Davis Legion, under Martins command.

At the battle of Williamsburg, May 5, 1862, the Legion, under Lieut-Col. Martin, made the reconnaissance that revealed the dispositions of the enemy. They had one man killed. In June two squadrons of the Legion, 250 picked men, under Martin's command, rode with Stuart in the famous raid around McClellan's army before Richmond. Of the most dangerous part of this adventure Stuart wrote in his report: "With an abiding trust in God and with such guarantees of success as the two Lees and Martin and their devoted followers, this enterprise I regarded as most promissing. . . . The rear now became of as much importance as the front, but the duties of rear guard devolving upon the Jeff Davis Legion, with Breathed's howitzer attached, its conduct was intrusted to its commander, Lieut.-Col. Martin, in whose judgment and skill I had entire confidence. He was not attacked, but at one time there appeared in his rear a party of the Fifth Cavalry, U. S. A., bearing a flag of truce, twenty-five in number, who actually surrendered to his rear guard, so great was the consternation produced by our march." Stuart recommended that three companies be added to the Legion and Martin promoted to Colonel, a grade which he has fairly won."

In the Chickahominy campaign, or Seven Days' battles, Colonel Martin had command of his battalion, the Fourth Virginia cavalry and Pelham's artillery. It was a period of constant fighting, in which the cavalry performed deeds of reckless daring. First, on crossing the Chickahominy, Martin took an advanced position on the South Anna, which effectually covered from McClellan the movement of Jackson's army against his flank. Then, when Jackson came up, they advanced with him to Cold Harbor. In the course of the daring raid to cut the York River Railroad, Captain Avery's company was dismounted, and with one of the Virginia companies and two of Pelham's guns, attacked and drove away a gunboat near the White House, where the Federal General in a panic was destroying his vast collection of army supplies. July 2 Lieutenant Chestnut, of the Boykin Rangers, with ten men defeated a squadron of the enemy's cavalry, and Martin advanced to Haxall's landing, where 150 prisoners and guns were taken within sight of the Federal monitor. The same day Martin encountered and drove the Tammany regiment from New York, taking three prisoners. Lieutenant Fisher, with fourteen men of Company B, captured a company of the Bucktail regiment, nearly sixty men. Martin particularly mentioned Major Stone, Captains Avery and Waring, Lieutenants Waldhauer, Chestnut and Mosely, and Privates Robertson (D) and Volney Metcalfe and William Barnard (A).

When Stuart's cavalry division was organized Wade Hampton, of South Carolina, was given a brigade command, and the legion was assigned to that brigade. Hampton's brigade, in the Maryland campaign, was engaged at Fairfax Courthouse, crossed the Potomac September 5, skirmished at Hyattstown, and followed the main army to Frederick, where a Federal battery was captured by a cavalry charge. Martin and his legion, as rear guard, picketed the mountain gap while Hampton followed Lee's army to Middleton, and at daylight September 13 were attacked by the pursuing army of McClellan. It was a gallant little battle of artillery and sharpshooters until Martin was withdrawn. "Martin and his men fought with their accustomed gallantry," was Hampton's report.

The brigade afterward moved to Burkittsville, to cover the movements of McLaws' division at Harper's Ferry, and reported to Stuart on the field of Sharpsburg. A part of the legion was in a brilliant raid across the Rappahannock, capturing a Federal picket guard November 27.

In December they rode in the raid to Poolesville on the Potomac; later in the same month raided on the Occoquan, capturing part of Sigel's wagon train, also raided on Dumfries and Fairfax station.

After this campaign Colonel Martin, whose merits entitled him to command of at least a brigade of the cavalry, and who had been serving a long time, with rare patience, in command of a small battalion, was promoted to Brigadier-General and sent to the west, where he served mainly in the capacity of General of division, with promotion to Major-General in November, 1863.

The legion shared in the important service of Stuart's cavalry in the Gettysburg campaign, losing out of their small number 12 killed and 44 wounded. In the hand-to-hand fighting of July 3, the most important cavalry battle of the war, up to that time, General Hampton was twice wounded and Major W. G. Conner, of the legion, was killed. At Fleetwood, July 9, after the return to Virginia, they were also distinguished. Lieut. P. B. Fisher and Private William Frew, Company F, and Private G. W. Seals, Company B, were killed at Upperville, in this campaign. Others particularly distinguished at Upperville were Capt. W. G. Henderson, Company B; Corporal R. Eustis, Company A; Capt. A. K. Ramsey, Company D; Private C. M. Taylor, Company C; Capt. David Waldhauer and Privates T. H. Lake and W. P. Lake, Company F.

The service in the fall of 1863 north of the Rappahannock, was hardly less arduous and brilliant. Stuart particularly noticed the legion in reporting the engagement at Frying Pan Church: "The Jeff Davis Legion was here conspicuous for its gallantry, advancing dismounted across the field upon the enemy's position."

Of the battle of Nance's shop, June 24, 1864, General Hampton reported: "As soon as the enemy gave way I brought up the Philips and the Jeff Davis Legions (mounted) and ordered them to charge. This they did most gallantly, driving the enemy for three miles in confusion." Roll of honor published in December, 1864, mentioning battles of Frederick City, Stevensburg, Funkstown, Fleetwood, Rappahannock River, Frying Pan, Brandy Plains, Accotink River, Cold Harbor, Fauquier County, Mine River Company F: Capt. David Waldhauer, Lieuts. W.W. Gordon and J. McLeod Turner; Sergeants L. H. Clemens and M.G. Prendergast; Privates M. D. Prendergast, William P. Lake, G. N. Saussy, C. H. Mann. Company A: Lieut. Joshua Thorn, Private Thomas Metcalf. Company C: Privates John Robinson, Alexander McCaskill.

In March, 1864, it was recommended that seven unattached Mississippi companies in General Polk's command be united with the three Mississippi companies in the Legion, to form the Third Cavalry Regiment for Young's brigade to cover Richmond. This was not done, but by order of July 11, 1864, Love's Alabama battalion, three companies, and one Georgia company were added to the Legion, making it three squadrons--(1) five Alabama companies, (2) the three Mississippi companies commanded by a Major, (3) the two Georgia companies. The Legion was in the brigade of Gen. P. M. B. Young and had an aggregate present and absent of 868. Its final service was in the Carolina campaign against Sherman, under General Hampton.

Full credit for the information contained in this article is credited to Research Online: http://www.researchonline.net/mscw/unit173.htm
Changes will be made soon to the layout!

The Regiment in War of Rights

In War of Rights we plan to be a historically accurate and well disciplined cavalry regiment that strives to maintain order and a well structured command system. Since cavalry regiments are relatively uncommon compared to infantry in the current reserved forces, we hope to appeal to everyone who wants to release their inner horse soldier! We will strive to practice accurate maneuvers and attacks, and also act as the mobile scouting wing of our Boys in Grey.

If any of you are interested in joining, or just want to try us out by Mercing during events, here is how:

Add aaron1234q to your friends list on steam
Join the Jeff Davis Cavalry Legion steam group.
Once these actions are followed, I will give you our TeamSpeak address.
Congratulations! You are now in the company!

Links
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sigibrandgaming/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/jeffdavislegion

Enlisted
Recruit http://i.imgur.com/7o7NlXM.png
The start to becoming a cavalry trooper, recruits must train well to be established a private. Recruits must tolerate a combative role. These men just enlisted in the army, so they shouldn't take meal time for granted.

Trooper http://i.imgur.com/7o7NlXM.png
Troopers are one position up from a recruit, but, these men take on way more responsibility for their fellow soldiers. A trooper serves a huge part in the fighting force, as most men that serve a combative role are troopers. They are the "core" of a fighting force, so don't underestimate these men.

Veteran Trooper http://i.imgur.com/7o7NlXM.png
These men take on the same responsibility as troopers, but should look over their fellow troopers' back for any yankees.

NCO

Corporal http://i.imgur.com/idLZdHu.png
Corporal is the first official rank of the NCO "Non-Commissioned Officer". Corporals are lookouts for their privates, they make sure every private is in check, and shaped for battle. Corporals must show some skill of leadership to their "core" (meaning privates). They shall be able to face anything that comes their way, and show bravery beyond.

Sergeant http://i.imgur.com/C78l6FR.png
Sergeants are the leaders of a portion of a company. They shall discipline everyone under their command to receive a better outcome of the situation. Sergeants must be good leaders on the battlefield. They should have high levels of patience and tolerance for anyone under their command. They should intimidate enemy privates and be fierce fighters.

Quartermaster Sergeant http://i.imgur.com/91HvZqX.png
The Quartermaster Sergeant is in charge of all sergeants and below. He should keep an eye out for all the sergeants and keep them motivated for battle. They, like sergeants, should intimidate enemies and be fierce fighters.

First Sergeant http://i.imgur.com/oKV5zAo.png
First Sergeants are the second highest rank of the NCO. Their job is to look out over fellow NCO and privates. They should keep track of battle plans and movements while the battle progresses. They should be brave and courageous fighters.

Sergeant Major http://i.imgur.com/xoVgfnd.png
Sergeant Majors are the highest in command besides commissioned officers, if anything happens to any officer, they are given the commanding role. They should have excellent leadership skills and should lead everyone under their command with great bravery. They are expected to do anything to the max during battle, whatever it takes.

Officer

2nd Lieutenant http://i.imgur.com/66R9oFA.png
The first rank to being a commissioned officer. The 2nd lieutenant should be in charge of all NCO and enlisted in the company. He should have great leadership skills, bravery, motivation and be determined to do best during battle and seek to achieve greatness with his fellow men and try their best to lead their men to victory.

1st Lieutenant http://i.imgur.com/TyRwxFy.png
1st Lieutenant is the second highest rank of the commissioned officer, of a company rank. He should look over his fellow officer(s) NCO, and privates and encourage his men to all be best during battle.

Captain http://i.imgur.com/Y7Bai6q.png
The captain is the leader of the company. He is the pathfinder, as well as his fellow officers, and shall negotiate plans, keep a lookout for incoming enemy artillery, lines etc. He is the alpha wolf of the company, everyone in the company should follow his orders. He must have a great amount of bravery and leadership skills to train and put his fellow company men to battle. The captain has the most responsibility of the company.
[/QUOTE]

CO-
Captain Aaron or "Captain"

Officers-
2nd Lieutenant T.Jefferson, or "Jefferson"

NCO-
Sergeant Mr. Crowly
Sergeant Weaver
Corporal Ambridge
Corporal UglyAmerican

Enlisted-
Veteran Private HELLINAHELMET
Veteran Private Bendplz
Private Bobby
Private Mr Thunder-Bear
Private Zenley
Private Jorge
Private Moamn
Private Polan
Private Earl
Private GenJackson
Recruit Lsuvsfar
Recruit J.W. Booth

Current Strength:
2 Officers, 4 NCOs, and 12 Enlisted men, making for a total strength of 18 men.

Numitor
08-05-2016, 05:04 AM
Good luck, fellow cavalrymen!

aaron1234q
08-05-2016, 05:26 AM
Good luck, fellow cavalrymen!
Thankyou! We look forward to the time when our horses can meet on the field of battle!

Grant97
08-06-2016, 11:28 PM
Welcome! Good luck! :D

TeteRex
08-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Good luck to yall!

JRob
08-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Now Recruiting! NCOs needed!

Hiram Lee
08-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the Confederacy- Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah

Tom Weaver
08-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Hey yall looks like im your new brother in arms. Cant wait to see ya on the field!

JRob
08-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Welcome!

JRob
08-11-2016, 07:10 AM
Welcome everyone who just enlisted. From now until closed beta (when cavalry starts) we will be playing using the uniforms/regiment of the 2nd Mississippi, but not actually being the 2nd MS. See y'all Saturday.

aaron1234q
08-14-2016, 06:37 AM
*Updated Roster

JRob
08-14-2016, 07:34 AM
welcome everyone! our teamspeak is now up, and i would also like to welcome everyone we have just recruited!

Wisner
08-14-2016, 06:31 PM
As a fellow Calvary company I feel like it is a necessity to reach out to you all. I look forward to seeing you in events as it seems the only two active cav units are our units. Thanks

JRob
08-15-2016, 09:04 PM
*TeamSpeak is now updated, added:
-Platoons
-War of Rights server group
-Training Channel
-New rank icons vet private and above
-added "hangouts" channel with enlisted tents
-added NCO tents for individual officers
-added specific platoon server groups (p1, p2, p3)
-added campfire under hangouts

Wisner
08-16-2016, 05:11 AM
*TeamSpeak is now updated, added:
-Platoons
-War of Rights server group
-Training Channel
-New rank icons vet private and above
-added "hangouts" channel with enlisted tents
-added NCO tents for individual officers
-added specific platoon server groups (p1, p2, p3)
-added campfire under hangouts
Members of the cavalry are not privates, they are troopers!

JRob
08-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Actually it is either/or. My great x3 grandpa and uncle were in 6th KY cav CSA they were pronounced "Private". Got the enlistment/POW/desertion papers

JRob
08-23-2016, 03:45 AM
HELLINAHELMET accepted

A. P. Hill
08-23-2016, 04:27 AM
Congrats!

Welcome to the CSA!

JRob
09-07-2016, 01:43 AM
New Members-Welcome!

Recruit GenJackson
Veteran Private HELLINAHELMET
Recruit JW Booth

aaron1234q
01-27-2019, 02:29 AM
After a time of inactivity due to other engagements, I deem it necessary to inform whoever reads this post that the Jeff Davis Legion Company A is going to be going back online for the foreseeable future. It will take some time to get everything up and running again, but it is my full intent to lead this fair company to the best of my ability and to dust off the cobwebs.

COL. Patrick R Cleburne
09-03-2019, 08:28 PM
After a time of inactivity due to other engagements, I deem it necessary to inform whoever reads this post that the Jeff Davis Legion Company A is going to be going back online for the foreseeable future. It will take some time to get everything up and running again, but it is my full intent to lead this fair company to the best of my ability and to dust off the cobwebs.

give them hell johnny reb

Lord Drax
09-04-2019, 03:30 AM
give them hell johnny reb

Pretty sure this company has been inactive since January...