PDA

View Full Version : Favorite regiment

Rithal
10-21-2014, 04:49 AM
What is everyone's favorite regiment of the Civil War. Maybe one for both Union and Confederacy. Tell why it's your favorite, a brief history if you'd like, ect. Try to refrain from choosing your unit reenactors. ;) Unless of course the unit you reenact with happens to be your favorite regiment.

Soulfly
10-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Nice Thread !

unfortunately i have never found a German regiment serving for the confederacy so i choose the The 4th Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment since it was part of the Stonewall Brigade. For the Union i am going with the the 52nd New York State Volunteers standing for the 175,000 Germans fighting for the Union cause.

PvtPalmer11pvi
10-21-2014, 03:36 PM
This is a tough one.. There are so many great and interesting regiments for both the Union and the Confederacy. I would have to Choose the 69th NY for the Union not only because of my Irish heritage but these men where some tough sob's. As for the Confederacy I would have to say the 1rst Louisiana maybe because I'm such a fan of Tigers but Just take a moment and read a little about the regiment they have a great story :)

Bravescot
10-22-2014, 05:47 AM
79th New York due to having 2 ancestors that fought in the regiment as Scottish immigrants, they were brothers as well. Then confederate I'm not sure. Think I might have to agree with Palmer with the 1st Louisiana.

Caserta34
12-15-2014, 09:37 PM
For the union, 7th wv infantry because I'm from West Virginia and the 7th was in major battles of the civil war,and for the confederate, the 45th Virginia infantry because it consisted of guys from west viginia mainly in my county

Devmc99
12-15-2014, 11:08 PM
For Union, either 69th New York "Irish Brigade" or 28th Massachusetts "Irish Brigade". They were both Irish regiments, so were always on the front lines, also a couple of major engagements they fought at. For Confederacy, would have to say one of the Stonewall Brigade regiments. Not sure which one though.

hadeox
12-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Army of Northern Virginia.

Soulfly
12-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Thats a very huge regiment...

[RG]Chewie
12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
I would actually have to say the 71st Pennsylvania just for the fact that they helped man cushings battery during picketts charge and helped stem the tide at the angle.pretty bad ass if you ask me.

Mole
12-17-2014, 10:46 PM
I think personally the 5th New York for me. They put of a interesting defense at 2nd Mananas taking on a division practically by themselves. Not only that but they had Colonel Warren later General Warren as their commanding officer. Known as the best trained regiments in the Union army equal to that of regulars. Also were the first Zouave Regiments to receive the nickname "The Read Legged Devils." All of them New York Gentlemen. My favorite Southern Unit would be Wheat's Tigers.

Furrnox
12-30-2014, 01:39 PM
24th Georgia do to their achievements in Fredericksburg, for being an Irish Regiment & because of their enormous battle record.

CivilWarMan
01-01-2015, 07:18 AM
I am the Leader of the 24th GA
You should consider joining us
Steam:TheStrongDwarf

Lackay
02-20-2015, 12:51 AM
No single favorite, 20th Maine, 69th New York, 54th Mass, 11th New York

Sadly no mentionable New Jersey units, but then again my family came from Queens so New York fits the bill :P

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 12:30 AM
i would have to say 69th New York due to how well they thought during the war

PunIsheR
02-22-2015, 12:36 PM
19th Tennesse ^^

Army of Tennesse

C.S.A for ever :D

Hairywarhero
02-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Union Forever!

Rithal
02-22-2015, 07:06 PM
19th Tennesse ^^

Army of Tennesse

C.S.A for ever :D

Someone acknowledges my state! It seems like everyone I talk to about the Civil War is like " BULL RUN. GETTYSBURG. ANTIETAM." and I'm over here like "... Shiloh and Franklin were important battles too DX "

Bravescot
02-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Battle of Malvern Hill anybody? Named after the Malvern hills in Worcestershire. (If any Yank could say that correctly first try I'll give them a cookie)

Rithal
02-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Battle of Malvern Hill anybody? Named after the Malvern hills in Worcestershire. (If any Yank could say that correctly first try I'll give them a cookie)

Say Worcestershire correctly? I can give it a try. Here's how I pronounce it. War-ke-ster-shy-er. Where's my cookie? Gimme gimme gimme!

Malvern Hill took place in the Peninsula Campaign where Lee basically saved the south and kept the war from ending three years earlier right?

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 12:37 AM
Well damn. I'll get cooking.

Yeah pretty much. If the South had lost the war could have been over a lot earlier.

Rithal
02-23-2015, 01:50 AM
Well damn. I'll get cooking.

Yeah pretty much. If the South had lost the war could have been over a lot earlier.

That would almost be preferable over three more years of bloodshed that would have just led to the same outcome.

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 01:58 AM
That would almost be preferable over three more years of bloodshed that would have just led to the same outcome.

They bit off more then they could chew and choked on it.

Historical Player
04-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Mine is the 36th Virginia Infantry. I had 2 ancestors fight in the regiment and there is a lot of history involving the regiment. Company D of the 36th fought in the Hatfield-McCoy Feud.

spe801
04-07-2015, 11:52 PM
11th Mississippi at Sharpsburg. Co. A the University Greys were made up entirely of Ole Miss students. They would go on to take 100% casualties in the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble charge on July 3rd at Gettysburg. Other than that at Sharpsburg I like the 3rd Arkansas. They were pretty much untested in combat and kicked some hind that day.

Brooklyn
04-13-2015, 10:04 PM
14th New York State Militia (aka the 14th Brooklyn or the 84th New York Volunteer Infantry). They fought at First Bull Run, Rappahannock,Second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run, The Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Court House. Also I know i'm missing some.

Ry1459
04-14-2015, 02:04 AM
My favorite Union regiment would be either the 2nd United States Sharpshooters (Berdan's Sharpshooters) or the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment.

Caserta34
04-14-2015, 05:19 AM
The 54th mass., was the all colored group correct

Zahari
04-14-2015, 06:00 AM
1st Special Battalion Louisiana Wheat Tigers and 14th Louisiana

Brooklyn
04-15-2015, 01:06 AM
The 54th mass., was the all colored group correct

Yes, It was one of the first colored Regiments.

Caserta34
04-15-2015, 04:40 AM
Have you ever seen the movie glory, it is one of my favorites

Ry1459
04-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Have you ever seen the movie glory, it is one of my favorites

I believe most of us have, that's the movie that featured the 54thMA :D

Caserta34
04-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Yea I know

William
04-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Ist the 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment from the Ironbrigade :D

MrAmerican
04-21-2015, 10:22 PM
1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, NJ Infantry Regiments
1st NJ Brigade
VI Corps
1st Division
1st Brigade

My state pride has a lot to do with this, but I found it interesting how this was the only brigade which included regiments from NJ... and to continue tradition, only NJ regiments could join it, along with Hex's NJ Light (I think) Artillery, which for as far as I know was the only NJ Artillery Battery and the regiments listed above were the only NJ regiments in the entire Army of the Potomac. The 1st NJ Brigade actually helped a lot in the capture of South Mountain and the annihilation (to a degree) of Cobb's Infantry Legion. With the story of the 4th NJ Infantry charging in in the dark hours witht he help of the other 3 of the day to wipe out Cobb's last stand at South Mountain. The funny thing is the 4th actually had lost there nice, government issued rifles after being forced to surrender their arms and colors some time back by the Confederates, but after the battle they got all (well nearly all, the government swapped out the rest of their crappy rifles for the new ones when they made it back) the government issued rifles back from the dead soldiers of Cobb's Legion and later after the battle they were issued new colors with references to their heroic charge on the South Mountain all over it... I see it as kind of a "rags to riches" kind of story, and for that I really like the 1st NJ Brigade.

I've done a lot of research on the 1st NJ Brigade, but I could always be wrong, if anyone has anything or add or if I made a mistake don't be afraid to correct me lol.

Imperialist
04-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Even though I live in NJ, I consider myself a little bit of a Southern Sympathiser.

Saying such the regiment I've really been interested in is the 20th Maine, since I had to work on a project involving them.

Brother_Padre
06-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Even though I live in NJ, I consider myself a little bit of a Southern Sympathiser.

Saying such the regiment I've really been interested in is the 20th Maine, since I had to work on a project involving them.

20th Maine!

As you could tell from that my favourite reg is the 20thME (not because i play as them in NaS...) but because I first watched the film 'Gettysburg' (a must watch) when I was very young and used to just watch the little round top scene when I had a spare 30mins of boredom. Then, quite recently I watched 'Gods and Generals' (another must watch) and loved there action outside of Fredericksburg as well. After reading up on them and their Captain turned brevet Colonel Ellis Spears I grew to like this 'Spears' character so yes, to all you UA boys, girls and kidd00s I'm LtCol Spears of the 20thME that you see every Friday/Saturday :p.

Octavian360
06-04-2015, 05:18 AM
The Irish brigades of both union and confederacy.

PurplePanda
06-07-2015, 08:01 AM
The Irish Brigade
http://media.irishcentral.com/images/Fighting-69th-Regiment_Irish-Brigade_Civil-War.jpg

DictatorDom
06-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Surprised to see so many fellow Jerseymen! I love it! I too came here to brag and boast about the First New Jersey Brigade. They served so bravely, taking stupendous causalities various times and had the best damn Union officer of the East - Kearny. Kearny is a shining example of a man, and so well respected that immediately after his death, Confederate Major A.P. Hill proclaimed that he deserved a better one.

I'm the same way. I can't help my southern sympathies, I just really find the Confederacy and South as a whole so damn interesting. But I take pride in the First Jersey.

DictatorDom
06-07-2015, 09:05 AM
The Irish Brigade
http://media.irishcentral.com/images/Fighting-69th-Regiment_Irish-Brigade_Civil-War.jpg
Meagher himself may have been the fierest fighter on the Union side of the field in Antietem. Bloody Lane was some of the most intense combat of the war, and the Irish brigade somehow withstood an ungodly amount of death for a far too large amount of time.

Josy_Wales
06-07-2015, 10:36 AM
I can't help loving all the states joining the Confederacy and all the fantastic regiments following, but if I have to mention one of the hard fighting brigades, it must be the Mississippi brigade lead by William Barksdale. Their bravery and devotion for their country had no boundaries.

Hinkel
06-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Meagher himself may have been the fierest fighter on the Union side of the field in Antietem. Bloody Lane was some of the most intense combat of the war, and the Irish brigade somehow withstood an ungodly amount of death for a far too large amount of time.

Reminds me of this scene here ;)
(you should watch part 3 after it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxkOMZa2f7s&feature=youtu.be&t=478

DictatorDom
06-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Reminds me of this scene here ;)
(you should watch part 3 after it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxkOMZa2f7s&feature=youtu.be&t=478
Civil War Combat! I love that series!! It's seriously one of my favorite made-for-TV Civil War shows. Its super informative and fun to watch while also having humorous narration, although I'm not sure if that's on purpose :D. When I was first getting into the Civil War with my buddy, we would watch these together while skyping.

Historical Player
06-24-2015, 04:45 PM
So many regiments played a big part in the Civil War on both sides and I am grateful for their service!

Bravescot
06-24-2015, 09:30 PM
So many regiments played a big part in the Civil War on both sides and I am grateful for their service!

I don't know why but I often find saying grateful about two sides on a civil war just odd. I'd personally never say I was grateful for the men that fought in the English Civil War. I just feel really sad for them, a nation killing itself.

Nick Lazanis
06-25-2015, 07:24 PM
Personally, my favorite Confederate regiment is the 5th Missouri ^^ And the 69th New York in the Union side of things.