PDA

View Full Version : Company Tool being released soon!

Fancy Sweetroll
09-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Hello.

Today, in the honor of the 154th anniversary of the battle of Antietam, I have something very special to show you. A first glimpse on the actual, soon to come, company tool. Keep in mind that it is still very early in development since for the past long while, we have chosen to spend the majority of our time on developing the game and not the company tool. But lets get started.

The most important thing of this tool is reserving a company. It works like this:

When a company reaches 10 members, it becomes claimed.

If the claimed company falls below 5 members, it becomes unclaimed.

This means that we in fact can have more than 1000 20th Maine Company A companies. But as soon as 1 of those companies reach 10 members, the other companies will be asked to either pick a different letter for their company, or disband the company. As said above, if the claimed company falls below 5 members, 20th Maine Company A can again be created inside the tool and if the new company gets above 10 members, the old 20th Maine Company A company will need to pick a different letter or disband.

It also needs to be said that we don't require you to have pledged in order to create a profile and create/join companies inside the tool. In fact. Even real life reenactors could create a company inside this tool to organize themselves ;)

Here's a couple of images as well as descriptions of the various pages inside the Company Tool

When you've created your profile. You have to choose your side. At the moment you can only have 1 account and that account can only join 1 side.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/1.jpg

Then you need to fill out some information about yourself/your soldier
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/2.jpg

This is sort of the homepage for the company tool where you can see various information and search for companies / soldiers
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/3.jpg

And here you can see me opening a telegram I recieved from myself, lol
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/4.jpg

And here's an image of the telegram also having been sent to my email
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/5.jpg

Now I'm viewing the currently created companies in the Union army. Even though I chose to enlist as a union soldier, I can also view the confederate companies and confederate soldiers.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/6.jpg

Now I am in the process of creating a company. It will only allow me to create a company which is not currently claimed by anybody else.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/7.jpg

Now I am viewing my created company where a few soldiers have already joined. Each company has its company records which will display all the events that have occured in the company, such as promotions, desertions, discharges and so on. The list of soldiers only displays soldiers with a rank higher than Private. The volunteers list displays the soldiers who have volunteered to join the company. The staff of the company can choose to accept them into the company, or reject them.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/8.jpg

Here you can see the options for the company, they can be edited by the person who created the company "The company owner" or anyone with a rank equal to or higher than the rank set in "Minimum staff rank". The company owner can demote himself to a private, but still have access to the company options. Only the company owner can disband the company.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/9.jpg

Now I am in the process of writing a telegram which can only be done by soldiers with a rank higher than the one set in the "Minimum staff rank" in the company options.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/10.jpg

Now I am viewing the company roster which displays all the soldiers in the company. Soldiers with a rank below the "Minimum staff rank" will not be able to see the "Options" next to each soldier. Clicking a soldier will bring you to their profile.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/11.jpg

This screen pops up when the "Options" button next to a soldier is clicked. The company staff can either Discharge or dishonourably discharge soldiers. A soldier can also choose to desert on his own. Either one of these 3 actions will be displayed in the company records and or the soldiers service record. So keep in mind what you do, and dont desert companies too often, ask the officers to disband you.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/12.jpg

Now I am viewing the company as a regular private. I can choose to desert at anytime I want. It will be marked in my service record though.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/13.jpg

Now I am viewing Hinkels profile. Me being his officer in this instance, I can choose to write remarks about him if I wish. If Hinkel joins a different company, his new officer can decide to delete my remarks if he wants to.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/14.jpg

I can also view Hinkels enlistment papers, if Hinkel were at this page, Hinkel could edit his enlistment papers.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/15.jpg

We also have a huge variety of avatars to choose from which can be changed at anytime.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/16.jpg

And here you can see probably the most important part about the company tool which is described above.
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/18.jpg

I am super excited to hear what you have to say about it, so all the feedback you have, ideas for new features. Throw them at me! We will continue to expand it with new features and at some point, also integrate it with the game itself.

RhettVito
09-17-2016, 06:33 PM
This is amazing !!!!!!!!!

FakeMessiah27
09-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Hot damn, the company tool has even more functionality than I thought it was going to get! :O

Fancy Sweetroll
09-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Hot damn, the company tool has even more functionality than I thought it was going to get! :O

And more to come ;)

Wildcat
09-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Hinkel's been stealing apples again! the thief!

Casterline
09-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Looking good guys, can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm sure it will prove to be both invaluable and fun. Keep up the great work.

Lyman Trumbull
09-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Very nice, excited for the release :D

Bravescot
09-17-2016, 07:03 PM
All aboard the hype train!

Le_Fossoyeur
09-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Very great :)

Hairywarhero
09-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Looks beautiful

yoyo8346
09-17-2016, 07:09 PM
This looks really cool! Great job Fancy and team. :D

Jaffacake239
09-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Hyped!

Etherton
09-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Idk its anyone has said it yet but id assume you would have some form of fairness once the tool comes out with regards to still letting the large companies get to keep their name? As it could come out at a time not suitable for a leader and that person would lose in my instance say 69th Company A to some kid even tho we have 70 members. Will it still kinda be fair in that fact? I know the current setup isnt 'Reserving' the company name but surely some new guy cant come along and make with 10 guys whilst you are asleep/working and have say 70 and had the name for a year. Just a thought

Fancy Sweetroll
09-17-2016, 07:42 PM
You need at least 10 members to claim the company which surely wont be easy for "some kid" I am also considering to add some form of countdown timer on the website for when the company tool goes live

A. P. Hill
09-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Pretty Snazzy. :)

Saris
09-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Cant wait to form the 1st Texas! xD

Bravescot
09-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Going to be a struggle for us self proclaimed Majors or higher xD nothing to cope with us yet

Challis89
09-17-2016, 09:53 PM
Looks amazing guys. Great work cant wait to formally form the rifles :D

Gamble
09-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Amazing!

thejakimo
09-17-2016, 10:20 PM
I like that each person that utilizes this will actually have a "permanent" record so to speak. So all of the trolls and unit jumpers will be known and companies will be safer.

Hallahan
09-17-2016, 10:40 PM
will we be able to make custom uniform for our regimennts!!!!!

JulietPapaOscar
09-17-2016, 10:56 PM
This is absolutely phenomenal work. I'm really appreciative that you basically, well, do the work for us, and have the user experience so streamlined. Makes forming and maintaining companies that much easier, and quite frankly would probably increase user count, as it wouldn't be so daunting to join a regiment anymore.
Fantastic work!

Pinckney
09-17-2016, 11:35 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say no. Whatever uniform your company was using will have that uniform. But I'm not a moderator any developer.

JRob
09-18-2016, 12:37 AM
I just can't wait to kill me some yankees...

jackis14
09-18-2016, 12:41 AM
If i make my company does that make me commanding officer or am i just a private

Fancy Sweetroll
09-18-2016, 12:42 AM
If i make my company does that make me commanding officer or am i just a private

By default the person creating the company will be the commanding officer and the owner, but any of those rights can be given away to somebody else afterwards.

Duffy
09-18-2016, 12:46 AM
Officially on the hype train

thejakimo
09-18-2016, 02:30 AM
Another silly question. Will the US regiments be an option? Not only for us, but for the few other US guys that are here.

yoyo8346
09-18-2016, 03:04 AM
Another silly question. Will the US regiments be an option? Not only for us, but for the few other US guys that are here.

I'm pretty sure it was said that all units, North or South, that were present during the Maryland Campaign will be available to play.

Mississippi
09-18-2016, 03:48 AM
The company tool looks great! Fantastic job Campfire Games!

AlimSnus
09-18-2016, 03:57 AM
Thats gonna be sick

W1Z25
09-18-2016, 03:59 AM
this looks awesome!

michaelsmithern
09-18-2016, 04:05 AM
Looks really nice, can't wait for the release

JaegerCoyote
09-18-2016, 06:38 AM
I like it

Wildcat
09-18-2016, 08:12 AM

You can't make your own Uniform but you can customise it

JaegerCoyote
09-18-2016, 09:12 AM
You can't make your own Uniform but you can customise it

Ofc, there are limits like no zouaves with hardee hats and etc.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-18-2016, 09:16 AM
wow that looks so awesome and has so much functions. do you guys want to replace the forum posts? ;)

that tool will do a lot of administrative stuff. thanks.

great work

Hinkel
09-18-2016, 10:00 AM
wow that looks so awesome and has so much functions. do you guys want to replace the forum posts? ;)

No, you will keep your forum posts and use it for advertising. Each company can post their forum thread, TS adress and more in their company profile in the tool :)

I think this screenshot should give you an answer ;)

https://i.gyazo.com/a0b95d472ba87f0e85132cb58bff4baf.png

The company tool has nothing to do with your uniforms. You can't create any uniforms there.

Josy_Wales
09-18-2016, 12:42 PM
How will you be able to distinguish regiments and battalions like the 5th Alabama battalion (Major Van de Graaff) and the 5th Alabama infantry (Col Robert Emmett Rodes) with the company tool?

VOLCUSGAMING
09-18-2016, 01:05 PM
I don't think a hype train is enough!
"The hype plain is ready to fly!"

Fancy Sweetroll
09-18-2016, 01:14 PM
How will you be able to distinguish regiments and battalions like the 5th Alabama battalion (Major Van de Graaff) and the 5th Alabama infantry (Col Robert Emmett Rodes) with the company tool?

If you are referring to removing? I am not entirely sure what the current status is of those two companies. But we (Campfire Games) will reserve the right to delete any company we see fit (though that is not very likely to happen often). I have also thought about making some automation for getting inactive companies removed. For example if the company officer havent logged in to the company tool for the past 3 months. He will recieve an email with a link and 7 days to press it, to keep his company alive (not entirely sure about this, but it is a possibility). Also depends on how big the problem ends up being and how you guys think it should be handled.

MadWolf
09-18-2016, 01:15 PM
I really like the company tool and character profile! I can't wait till i can fill out my profile and Biography.

Just one question:
Will i be able to use my in game avatar as Profile avatar ?

Fancy Sweetroll
09-18-2016, 01:17 PM
I really like the company tool and character profile! I can't wait till i can fill out my profile and Biography.

Just one question:
Will i be able to use my in game avatar as Profile avatar ?

Not for the time being, at the moment, you can only select one of those 50 or so avatars we have for each side.

Hinkel
09-18-2016, 01:23 PM

The tool is just using one of them, cause the tool just recognize 1 number.
So if you click on Alabama, there will be just one 5th regiment. There is no distinguish between regiment and battalion.

But we will work on it and might add it later ;)

Fancy Sweetroll
09-18-2016, 01:26 PM
The tool is just using one of them, cause the tool just recognize 1 number.
So if you click on Alabama, there will be just one 5th regiment. There is no distinguish between regiment and battalion.

Seems like I totally missed the question lol. I was like, hmm, distinguish.. Distinguish the fire? distinguish the company? But I just now realize that is extinguish lol.

MadWolf
09-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Not for the time being, at the moment, you can only select one of those 50 or so avatars we have for each side.

Ok, plenty much to choose from :D

Btw: Will you be able to make more than one Company (like the 42nd for example Brave has to make 2 companies ore the 69th that have to make 8)?

Hinkel
09-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Ok, plenty much to choose from :D

Btw: Will you be able to make more than one Company (like the 42nd for example Brave has to make 2 companies ore the 69th that have to make 8)?

No, just 1 company.
Brave would have to assign another commander for the next company.

Norwegian
09-18-2016, 02:41 PM
No, just 1 company.
Brave would have to assign another commander for the next company.

How would you form a battalion then in the company tool? Would the two Company commanders be able to go together and form a battalion together, choose a battalion commander or what?

yoyo8346
09-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Will the company tool support high commands/units larger than companies? In one of the screenshots I saw that you can choose between "Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, and Special". I'm guessing that's what special is?

David Dire
09-18-2016, 02:48 PM
I'd think "special" is sharpshooters, skirmishers, engineers, etc.

Etherton
09-18-2016, 02:49 PM
You need at least 10 members to claim the company which surely wont be easy for "some kid" I am also considering to add some form of countdown timer on the website for when the company tool goes live

Im sure it would be very easy for 'some kid' to get 10 members, MnB as a simple example has regiments full of people ran by kids who take names without care :p its the same system here, my question was that do the staff reserve the right to still give one of the large communties the name they are using? What if someone with 10 guys comes along and takes the 42nd name? Im pretty sure there would be a big moan then so i ask simply on behalf of anyone in the position who has large amounts of men that realistically could lose out if the tool comes out at an unsuitable time or simply if someone is quicker off the mark because they have more free time.

Leifr
09-18-2016, 03:19 PM
my question was that do the staff reserve the right to still give one of the large communties the name they are using? What if someone with 10 guys comes along and takes the 42nd name? Im pretty sure there would be a big moan then so i ask simply on behalf of anyone in the position who has large amounts of men that realistically could lose out if the tool comes out at an unsuitable time or simply if someone is quicker off the mark because they have more free time.

I imagine that the staff (and by suggestion I suppose you mean 'developers') wish to keep much of this at arm's length, especially concerning the proper use and application of the forthcoming company tool. If you cannot organise yourself to properly fill in a form and have your apparent legion sign up in time, then I daresay the company deserves to go elsewhere. It is not the prerogative of the developers to hand-pick and assign companies just because "you made a thread three years ago".
This is not the same system as M&B; the only similiarity is that folk have bought into WoR under the assumption that things will work identical, that is to create a forum thread and assume that they automatically have some bizaare right to a digital company. I suppose the company tool will be released at a time convenient for Western Europe and the Eastern seaboard of the United States - this should not therefore be a problem for someone based in the United Kingdom. There is however the slightest murmur detected in your post that perhaps the developers will inconvenience you and yours truly by purposely opening access at an inconceivable time - think logically.

I'm rather looking forward to being the 69th Company A now. ;)

Bravescot
09-18-2016, 03:28 PM
I would appreciate it if you don't use the 42nd Pennsylvania as your example as you can't speak for us. Thank you

michaelsmithern
09-18-2016, 04:09 PM
I would appreciate it if you don't use the 42nd Pennsylvania as your example as you can't speak for us. Thank you

i wouldn't say he is speaking for you, although it'd be very rude if he continued to use it after you've just told him. I think he just used your battalion to make the point of his comment, nothing more or less.

Although he does have a good point, i've yet to see anything regarding the battalion/regimental/etc. levels of command, which i think hasn't been added yet, but is one of those features that will be added in.

Hinkel
09-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Will the company tool support high commands/units larger than companies? In one of the screenshots I saw that you can choose between "Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, and Special". I'm guessing that's what special is?

No, high commands won't be supported in the beginning.
Later, the companies can vote for a regiment commander / and his staff.
Those regiments can then form brigades, with voting for commanders again.

The "company tool" (later order of battle) gives nearly endless options to be extended ;)

michaelsmithern
09-18-2016, 04:27 PM
No, high commands won't be supported in the beginning.
Later, the companies can vote for a regiment commander / and his staff.
Those regiments can then form brigades, with voting for commanders again.

The "company tool" (later order of battle) gives nearly endless options to be extended ;)

alright that sounds really great, i love the whole voting to choose your leader, but now here is my question, in certain communities the position of Brig Gen(example) is passed down would this be the case if the brig gen stepped down and some one else from his regiment would take over, or would a new vote start to get a new brigadier general?

Hinkel
09-18-2016, 04:51 PM
alright that sounds really great, i love the whole voting to choose your leader, but now here is my question, in certain communities the position of Brig Gen(example) is passed down would this be the case if the brig gen stepped down and some one else from his regiment would take over, or would a new vote start to get a new brigadier general?

I would go for seniority.
The officer with the highest rank and oldest "log in" date would follow his command.

William
09-18-2016, 04:58 PM
Sexy !!!

Diversey
09-18-2016, 05:40 PM
I love it! Brilliant way to stop power hungry 14 year olds from making regiments.
love it

Challis89
09-18-2016, 05:53 PM
Just a quick random couple of questions.

1. will in the future will the company tool be able to allow the commander to set certain restrictions on what company people wear to stop outlandish uniform combos.

2. Following that will it be possible where you pick your uniform to have a company option for company battles so that unlike the random uniforms in the drill camp it shows your company rank on it along with any items the commander wants his guys to wear?

An example of the above would be a csa captain wanting his guys in grey and not mixing and matching the check and butternut trousers for example.

Sorry in advance for the poor wording.

Hinkel
09-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Just a quick random couple of questions.

1. will in the future will the company tool be able to allow the commander to set certain restrictions on what company people wear to stop outlandish uniform combos.

2. Following that will it be possible where you pick your uniform to have a company option for company battles so that unlike the random uniforms in the drill camp it shows your company rank on it along with any items the commander wants his guys to wear?

An example of the above would be a csa captain wanting his guys in grey and not mixing and matching the check and butternut trousers for example.

Sorry in advance for the poor wording.

Its not possible to give an answer on this. Depends on many aspects, if its working out.

The only answer I can give: There will be servers, which will use your company nicknames, like (1stSC[CO.A]) and your ranks, you used in that company tool.

Wildcat
09-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Ofc, there are limits like no zouaves with hardee hats and etc.

Not impossible, I know the 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion's uniforms by Antietam were just stuff they picked up from dead yankees and Confederates so who is to say a Zouave didn't pick up a Hardee hat and wear it?

Grant97
09-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Nice! :D

Fancy Sweetroll
09-18-2016, 08:10 PM
And here's an update.

I added some more email notifications, so now an email will be sent to you when you get promoted, demoted, discharged.

I also updated the overview page of the companies. You may have noticed the 0 or 1 under the claimed field. That is gone and instead formed/reserved/claimed companies are located in one list and mustering/unclaimed/unreserved companies are located in a different list. I will most likely also add some dropdown menus in the future for filtering states and unittype (infantry, cavalry, artillery, special units). Here's some images of what it looks like now:

http://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/19.jpg

http://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/20.jpg

Now I also log the last date a user has been logged in so both you and myself can somewhat easily keep track of inactive users.

http://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/21.jpg

Mississippi
09-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Awesome!

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-18-2016, 09:37 PM
looks great!

A. P. Hill
09-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Great news of the email notifications. It will make administration much easier!

michaelsmithern
09-18-2016, 09:59 PM
I would go for seniority.
The officer with the highest rank and oldest "log in" date would follow his command.

Interesting, i'm fine with almost anything as long as it doesn't turn into a monarchy/dictatorship of one reg/company keeping all the power

-Mitchell-
09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
This is really great! The hype is real! :cool:

Conway
09-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Is it going to be fixed to using Bravescots icons? I just find they're blurry. Also I didn't see but under the states section is there any federal troop slots?

Fancy Sweetroll
09-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Is it going to be fixed to using Bravescots icons? I just find they're blurry. Also I didn't see but under the states section is there any federal troop slots?

Yeah the rank icons could be better, I'm gonna have them changed at some point.

Bravescot
09-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Yeah the rank icons could be better, I'm gonna have them changed at some point.

Well they're just place holders after all xD I did send you that link to clearer, larger ones to play around with.

Lance Rawlings
09-18-2016, 11:24 PM
Awesome! I can't wait for this! Great job developers!

JaegerCoyote
09-19-2016, 12:13 AM

Sweetroll posted a screenshot showing the US Regulars as a opition.

Legion
09-19-2016, 01:31 AM
This is great news.

ThePatriot98
09-19-2016, 04:04 AM
dew it :D

Relativ
09-19-2016, 05:36 AM
Will there be German Regiments/Company (more likely in the USA)?

The popular ones:

1. Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Colonel Francis P. Blair)
2. Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Colonel Heinrich Börnstein)
3. Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Colonel Franz Sigel)
4. Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment – „Schwarze Jäger“ (Colonel Nikolaus Schüttner)
5. Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Colonel Karl Eberhard Salomon)

Joshua Chamberlain
09-19-2016, 06:17 AM
This system sucks

JaegerCoyote
09-19-2016, 06:46 AM
This system sucks

How?

Hinkel
09-19-2016, 07:25 AM

The popular ones:

4. Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment – „Schwarze Jäger“ (Colonel Nikolaus Schüttner)

Not a single one of those are available. You can just choose regiments, which took part in the Maryland Campaign :)

Wildcat
09-19-2016, 11:45 AM
here is something I just thought of, Will their be a way to stop people from creating multiple accounts and then create and take a company?

JaegerCoyote
09-19-2016, 11:50 AM
I believe so.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-19-2016, 12:00 PM

The popular ones:

These one didn't take part in the Maryland campaign but a lot of these regiments were mustered in as New York companies later like 54th NY

there are two almost German units. 7th NY and the 52nd NY"German Rangers" or "Sigel Rifles"

but that's a little bit off topic. if you want some more information pm me ;)

Fancy Sweetroll
09-19-2016, 12:02 PM
here is something I just thought of, Will their be a way to stop people from creating multiple accounts and then create and take a company?

Unfortunately that will be difficult. I was looking into storing both the IP address as well as the computer name of each user. If somebody then tried to create a new account and his IP and computer name was identical to something I had already logged, then he wouldnt be allowed to create a new account. Unfortunately the computer name is very difficult to get and determining this based only on the IP is not very good, if for example your brother in your own house also wants to create an account.

But if it gets discovered that somebody created multiple accounts to get to the 10 soldier mark, we will simply delete the company as well as the accounts.

Relativ
09-19-2016, 12:13 PM
These one didn't take part in the Maryland campaign but a lot of these regiments were mustered in as New York companies later like 54th NY

there are two almost German units. 7th NY and the 52nd NY"German Rangers" or "Sigel Rifles"

but that's a little bit off topic. if you want some more information pm me ;)

Damn, I always forget that i have to search for Maryland Campaign units^^
Can I guess from the colonels Name that 3. Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment and the 52nd NY"German Rangers"/ "Sigel Rifles" are somehow related?

thejakimo
09-19-2016, 12:47 PM
I think this screenshot should give you an answer ;)

https://i.gyazo.com/a0b95d472ba87f0e85132cb58bff4baf.png

Oh jeez, no 7th on the list? That kind of sucks for us

MadWolf
09-19-2016, 01:13 PM
I think you will be able to pick the Number seven.
Because if i'm not mistaken the "7th Maryland Volunteer Infantry Regiment" was among the Maryland Union units.

Hinkel
09-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Oh jeez, no 7th on the list? That kind of sucks for us

During the Maryland Campaign, the 7th US were on guard duty at the Great Lakes. It was moved into the AoP after Antietam.
So they are not abailable ingame and in the company tool.

Gandalf
09-19-2016, 01:45 PM
During the Maryland Campaign, the 7th US were on guard duty at the Great Lakes. It was moved into the AoP after Antietam.
So they are not abailable ingame and in the company tool.
Oh, so for us regiments that weren't at Antietam, are we still able to form? Or will we have to be forced to make new companies in regiments that were present?

Lance Rawlings
09-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Oh, so for us regiments that weren't at Antietam, are we still able to form? Or will we have to be forced to make new companies in regiments that were present?

Hey Gandalf, I don't mean to speak for the Devs, but I believe the answer is yes. I mean it makes sense. We all want an authentic feeling game, and when you have regiments on the field that weren't present or even nearby, it kinda disgraces the authenticity aspect. That's why I went with the 38th instead of 26th. Hope this helps!

A. P. Hill
09-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Oh, so for us regiments that weren't at Antietam, are we still able to form? ...
No. Not by using the company tool.

... Or will we have to be forced to make new companies in regiments that were present?

Yes. By having to use the company tool.

Bravescot
09-19-2016, 02:34 PM
No. Not by using the company tool.

Yes. By having to use the company tool.

False.

Gandalf both Hill and Rawling are right and wrong at the same time. At this moment in time the Company Tool is limited to historical companies only. However, the devs have stated before that in the future it will be possible for communities to make non-historical companies using the company tool. So units like the 26thNC or 7thUS can on paper be formed.

Obviously though you won't be able to play non-historical units in game.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-19-2016, 02:36 PM
in the current state. I think there was a statement that it will be allowed to form other companies.

EDIT:

hgmpf brave was faster ;)

Legion
09-19-2016, 03:00 PM

My guess is if you want to be a legitimate company your gonna have to make a company with the tool, so you will have to choose a company that was in the campaign.

Gandalf
09-19-2016, 03:54 PM
False.

Gandalf both Hill and Rawling are right and wrong at the same time. At this moment in time the Company Tool is limited to historical companies only. However, the devs have stated before that in the future it will be possible for communities to make non-historical companies using the company tool. So units like the 26thNC or 7thUS can on paper be formed.

Obviously though you won't be able to play non-historical units in game.Thank you for clarifying. I do understand that units that weren't present will not be able to be played. It was just confusing getting yes and no answers at the same time, that I could form the 26th but not in the company maker or play the game. Mind boggling. :p

Might just reform into another unit to avoid further confusion, but we shall see.

A. P. Hill
09-19-2016, 05:26 PM
False.

Gandalf both Hill and Rawling are right and wrong at the same time. ...

Give me a break, I had just gotten out of bed and wasn't fully awake at the time of replying! You've already had 5 hours of being alive and awake on me. :p

Regwilliam
09-19-2016, 05:57 PM
With the company tool will there be a way to have a attendance roster in it. Such as can i check mark if Private Bob was here Monday for training or not. I believe there is a need for this since many regiments mine included. Attendance counts toward promotions ect.

And second i really hope in the beginning we can use regiments and companys in the company tool that where not involved in the Maryland campaign such as for my regiment the 63rd PA. We are really attached to our name and it would be a shame that we have to pick another just because it was not there in the battles of 1862. but from braves comment would be able to use it later when the company tool and game are more done. So it would be nice if we could use the name from the get go.

Challis89
09-19-2016, 06:21 PM
With the company tool will there be a way to have a attendance roster in it. Such as can i check mark if Private Bob was here Monday for training or not. I believe there is a need for this since many regiments mine included. Attendance counts toward promotions ect.

And second i really hope in the beginning we can use regiments and companys in the company tool that where not involved in the Maryland campaign such as for my regiment the 63rd PA. We are really attached to our name and it would be a shame that we have to pick another just because it was not there in the battles of 1862. but from braves comment would be able to use it later when the company tool and game are more done. So it would be nice that would use a name from the get go.

I think they will alter it nearer the time but to be fair it's never been a secret that non Maryland companies would be further down the line.

michaelsmithern
09-19-2016, 06:34 PM

And second i really hope in the beginning we can use regiments and companys in the company tool that where not involved in the Maryland campaign such as for my regiment the 63rd PA. We are really attached to our name and it would be a shame that we have to pick another just because it was not there in the battles of 1862. but from braves comment would be able to use it later when the company tool and game are more done. So it would be nice if we could use the name from the get go.

That might be something you'd have to keep track of on something else...i like to use Google Docs or Microsoft Excel, but it would simplify the process if they added in a feature.

Regwilliam
09-19-2016, 06:36 PM
That might be something you'd have to keep track of on something else...i like to use Google Docs or Microsoft Excel, but it would simplify the process if they added in a feature.

We currently do use google docs but it would so much nicer if it was in the company tool xD

BloodBeag
09-19-2016, 07:49 PM
why form a company that you know you won't be able to play as until they make more battles and that wont be for potentially well over a year from now

Fancy Sweetroll
09-19-2016, 07:49 PM

I am certainly open to ideas, though we do already have the remarks system where officers can write comments and notes about the soldiers under their command.

But could certainly consider adding some form of schedule system in the future, where the officers can schedule events (training, battles and stuff). Then the soldiers can sign up. And then afterwards, the officers can mark who was actually there

GeneralSquirts
09-19-2016, 08:22 PM
why form a company that you know you won't be able to play as until they make more battles and that wont be for potentially well over a year from now

You're missing the point. The way that we operate our regiment is making things such as promotions based on attendance. You can't expect someone to earn a rank if they aren't even there to earn it. Making a way to keep track of a soldiers application, the attendance of that soldier, and note down anything specific of that soldier will be of use to regiments that use it properly.

dilloncoll
09-19-2016, 08:23 PM
seems like a great idea

Lance Rawlings
09-19-2016, 11:55 PM
False.

Obviously though you won't be able to play non-historical units in game.

Ah, thanks for clarifying Bravescot! That's good to know.

Joshua Chamberlain
09-20-2016, 04:03 AM
Time to start 1000 20th Maine company A

Hinkel
09-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Time to start 1000 20th Maine company A

As soon as one company has 10 soldiers, company A is not available any more. So why do you think there will be 1000 company A's?

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-20-2016, 08:09 AM
1000 can try it but only one can form Company A if one reached 10 men.

this system is great. if you have enough men and would like to form a company it wont be reserved by a "company" with three men.

it's also forces "three-men-companies" to merge or get enough men. so maybe we wont see little companies like in NW or NaS

JaegerCoyote
09-20-2016, 09:03 AM
yeah

Fancy Sweetroll
09-20-2016, 10:35 PM
Another update!

This time it's about navigating the tool.

Clicking the "-Company Tool-" button will bring you to the homescreen of the company tool. The rank and name "Captain Fancy Sweetroll" as well as the avatar image brings you to your profile. Clicking the company name underneath brings you directly to your own companys page.

If you are not logged in, it will display the total amount of companies as well as soldiers in the system.

These buttons are available no matter where you are on a website, so you can go ahead and look at the field reports and then jump right back into the company tool.

Edit: I also changed the layout of the homescreen which is the first image.

https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/22.jpg

https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/23.jpg

https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/24.jpg

Lance Rawlings
09-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Looking great! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat...

Mississippi
09-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Company Tool looks superb!

MadWolf
09-21-2016, 06:38 AM
Really nice.. Can't wait till its out

JohnMeow
09-21-2016, 09:59 PM
This is gonna be amazing.

Norwegian
09-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Any progress so far?

LocJope
09-23-2016, 05:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjUqUVrXclE

Keep up the good work, guys. Can't wait.

Hinkel
09-23-2016, 07:12 PM
Any progress so far?

We are working on multiple fronts. The company tool is just one front, but others have priority atm ;)

LocJope
09-23-2016, 07:48 PM
We are working on multiple fronts. The company tool is just one front, but others have priority atm ;)

Oh Hinkel, you're such a tease.

GeneralSquirts
09-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Not meaning to sound picky, but is that the intended font for the system? It looks very clunky and inefficient for something that's mean to be read.

TrustyJam
09-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Not meaning to sound picky, but is that the intended font for the system? It looks very clunky and inefficient for something that's mean to be read.

It's the best handwriting font we've been able to find thus far. The tool will release with it - we understand that it isn't as easy to read and thus might change it in the future if people can't get over it. For now, though, we'd like to experiment a bit with it, see if people can get used to it. :)

- Trusty

David Dire
09-23-2016, 08:46 PM
I suggest, rather than changing it, having an option to switch between it and a more standard font.

MrAmerican
09-23-2016, 08:50 PM
I suggest, rather than changing it, having an option to switch between it and a more standard font.

Agreed, Because I happen to really enjoy the semi-authentic handwriting.

TrustyJam
09-23-2016, 08:57 PM
We might. But as I said, for starters it stays as it currently is.

- Trusty

O'Donovan
09-24-2016, 03:01 AM
It's the best handwriting font we've been able to find thus far.

You may want to check "Segoe Print" and "Segoe Script." Print is individual letters while script is more like handwriting. The "Pvt. John "Jack" Dugan" in my .sig is in Segoe Script.

-Irish

A. P. Hill
09-24-2016, 03:21 AM
It's the best handwriting font we've been able to find thus far.- Trusty

I wish my handwriting was that clear.

(on a technical note, it's hand lettering, as it is not actually script written.) :)

Steve Stolze
09-24-2016, 10:34 AM
I really enjoy the handwritten and of course the Company Tool :)

Wildcat
09-24-2016, 02:56 PM
"born in the town of __ in the state of ___" so we can only be born in America? Or can we use other countries? Or do you type it rather then select from a list?

David Dire
09-24-2016, 04:07 PM
If it is only born in America, that'd be hugely dissapointing for the 52nd, and other immigrant regiments, such as the Irish.

I don't suppose support for other countries would be added if so? Europeans had a lot to do with the American Civil War, just as much as anyone in the states.

LocJope
09-24-2016, 04:33 PM
If it is only born in America, that'd be hugely dissapointing for the 52nd, and other immigrant regiments, such as the Irish.

I don't suppose support for other countries would be added if so? Europeans had a lot to do with the American Civil War, just as much as anyone in the states.

It's the bare minimum right now, I'm sure they'll add the ability to select different countries soon after its release.

Fancy Sweetroll
09-24-2016, 04:49 PM
You can write anything you want on the enlistment paper, even planet Mars, though you'll probably be rejected by most companies then :p It's sort of the way to seperate the players who takes this really seriously and the casual players.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-24-2016, 04:51 PM

It's the bare minimum right now, I'm sure they'll add the ability to select different countries soon after its release.

I think so, too. At the start we can write New York City. I think it will be of course possible to edit the own profile.

TrustyJam
09-24-2016, 04:59 PM

It's quite a bit more than the bare minimum already, I assure you. :)

- Trusty

Beanbomb
09-24-2016, 05:16 PM

LocJope
09-25-2016, 05:10 AM
It's quite a bit more than the bare minimum already, I assure you. :)

- Trusty

I don't think anything that you guys have released is bare minimum, far from it, actually. I'm talking bare minimum of release, not bare minimum in features.

Wildcat
09-25-2016, 06:58 AM
You can write anything you want on the enlistment paper, even planet Mars, though you'll probably be rejected by most companies then :p It's sort of the way to seperate the players who takes this really seriously and the casual players.

Can I come from Uranus?

FakeMessiah27
09-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Can I come from Uranus?

I think you would have a hard time finding a company from Uranus to join up with ;D. Last time I checked none of the companies for the 1st Uranus Volunteers had been claimed yet.

Mississippi
09-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Will the Company Tool show the join date of an individual? When he/she joined said company?

Norwegian
09-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Will we be able to edit the biography/our enlistment papers post-enlisting?

TrustyJam
09-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Will the Company Tool show the join date of an individual? When he/she joined said company?

Yes.

Will we be able to edit the biography/our enlistment papers post-enlisting?

Yup.

- Trusty

Bravescot
09-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Will we be able to have a separate place of birth to the state and town we're enlisting in?

TrustyJam
09-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Will we be able to have a separate place of birth to the state and town we're enlisting in?

No. Not for the time being at least. I'm pretty sure we're using the standard enlistment papers used during the war or at least something quite close to those. I'd be interested in seeing examples of how "foreigners" filled out theirs. :)

- Trusty

JaegerCoyote
09-25-2016, 02:57 PM
https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/2.jpg

The top looks like it.

Bravescot
09-25-2016, 03:03 PM
State of: New York Town of: New York

I, Irish Paddy born in *name of Irish town* the state of *Ireland*.

How else are the Irish who were not born in America going to fill out their documents? There were also plenty of German immigrants who were not born in America at the time fighting. I'm sure both sides had plenty of immigrants who had moved over when they were young kid or young adult, were not born in America, and were now fighting.

Not even immigrants either! Roy Stone himself was born in Plattsburg, New York and volunteered for service in Pennsylvania.

yoyo8346
09-25-2016, 03:08 PM
I think there may be a grammatical mistake in the enlistment. It says:

"I, NAME born in TOWN the State of STATE"

Shouldn't it be "born in TOWN in the State of STATE"? Being born in Detroit the state of Michigan doesn't really make sense.

JaegerCoyote
09-25-2016, 03:13 PM
They use the county, region, etc. Like I, Richard Holt born in Mainz the state of Hessen/Hesse or I, Paddy O'Neill born in Limerick state of County Limerick.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-25-2016, 03:37 PM
I think for Germans it will works. my other reply was to fast.

and it's Hessen ;) Hesse would be a man from Hessen

TrustyJam
09-25-2016, 03:42 PM
You'll be able to do it like they did it: https://primarysourcehistory.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/adler-dankmar-2st-il-art-batty-m-enlistment-papers_11227_1.jpg?w=700&h=

Simply not fill out the State part after you've filled out Germany for instance.

- Trusty

[RG]Chewie
09-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Can we have it yet!!!!

ThePatriot98
09-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Chewie;46142']Can we have it yet!!!!

would be cool :D

Norwegian
09-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Chewie;46142']Can we have it yet!!!!

We'll probably get it soon :)

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-25-2016, 04:38 PM
You'll be able to do it like they did it: https://primarysourcehistory.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/adler-dankmar-2st-il-art-batty-m-enlistment-papers_11227_1.jpg?w=700&h=

Simply not fill out the State part after you've filled out Germany for instance.

- Trusty

interesting? is that a original one? Germany was founded 10 years later. To that time it was still divided into smaller states.

Maybe the guy was to lazy or it was irrelevant from which state he was because it was easier for Americans to say He was from Germany.

Or he was one of the 1848/49 and wanted a united Germany.

ohh so many possibilities ^^

Fancy Sweetroll
09-25-2016, 04:46 PM
So I just updated the enlistment paper a bit. Now the only fields that are linked, is the two names. And you can leave the born in state field empty if you wish.

https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/25.jpg

Norwegian
09-25-2016, 04:50 PM
That looks awesome!

Do you guys have any estimate on when the first public version of the Company tool is coming out?

michaelsmithern
09-25-2016, 05:19 PM
State of: New York Town of: New York

I, Irish Paddy born in *name of Irish town* the state of *Ireland*.

How else are the Irish who were not born in America going to fill out their documents? There were also plenty of German immigrants who were not born in America at the time fighting. I'm sure both sides had plenty of immigrants who had moved over when they were young kid or young adult, were not born in America, and were now fighting.

Not even immigrants either! Roy Stone himself was born in Plattsburg, New York and volunteered for service in Pennsylvania.

i don't think you have to put the State of the unit you are joining, for instance if i were to join the 1st TX, but say i was from Martinsville Virginia, then it wouldn't make a lot of sense, but i don't think they'd care, as long as you were at least putting some effort into it....although a virginian going all the way down to join a texas regiment is weird

Wildcat
09-25-2016, 05:30 PM
So I just updated the enlistment paper a bit. Now the only fields that are linked, is the two names. And you can leave the born in state field empty if you wish.

https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/25.jpg

I love the age thing!

Alexander Greene
09-26-2016, 02:28 AM
Dang! Nice work guys. My company is waiting for one more member to
become claimed so it's nice to know that my recruitment sergeant's work hasn't been for nothing.

Fancy Sweetroll
09-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Time for another update.

I added tooltips on most of the buttons and a few of the static objects describing what they do.

And now for something really cool. Most of the elements in the Company Tool will now update automatically every 10 seconds (the timing may be tweaked in the future). This means you dont have to constantly refresh the page to see whats going on, so whenever somebody enlists into your company, you can just relax, sit back in your chair and watch the volunteer pop up. I also added this to the crowdfunding in the top. So with the website open in a different window, go ahead and raise your pledges and watch the magic happen! ;)

Legion
09-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Time for another update.

I added tooltips on most of the buttons and a few of the static objects describing what they do.

And now for something really cool. Most of the elements in the Company Tool will now update automatically every 10 seconds (the timing may be tweaked in the future). This means you dont have to constantly refresh the page to see whats going on, so whenever somebody enlists into your company, you can just relax, sit back in your chair and watch the volunteer pop up. I also added this to the crowdfunding in the top. So with the website open in a different window, go ahead and raise your pledges and watch the magic happen! ;)

Very cool, can't wait to get my hands on the tool.

Alexander Greene
09-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Time for another update.

Nicceee!

Fancy Sweetroll
09-26-2016, 01:52 PM
And another update. I think the image speaks for itself :)

https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/26.jpg

JaegerCoyote
09-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Lol, we get galvanized Yankees and Rebs, nice.

Norwegian
09-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Nice little feature, hehe :P

Lance Rawlings
09-26-2016, 06:20 PM
That's hilarious. Love it.

FrancisM
09-26-2016, 07:55 PM
interesting? is that a original one? Germany was founded 10 years later. To that time it was still divided into smaller states.

Maybe the guy was to lazy or it was irrelevant from which state he was because it was easier for Americans to say He was from Germany.

Or he was one of the 1848/49 and wanted a united Germany.

ohh so many possibilities ^^

Germany might not have been a unified state, but the nation existed long before the state did. The 1813 campaign of Napoleon was also commonly known as the Germany Campaign, even during the time itself. The men spoke German and came from the area known as Germany, and so they called themselves German. Same goes for the Italians, Irish and the nations under the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-26-2016, 08:33 PM
thats something you doesnt have to teach me as a proud German and history nerd :p

was wondering about the fact that he wrote he is from Germany.

RhettVito
09-26-2016, 08:55 PM
And another update. I think the image speaks for itself :)

https://www.warofrights.com/Content/CT_Content/CompanyTool_Showcase/26.jpg

I will be the first to do this anyone else wanna join me :) lol just playing nice update keep it up WoR

David Dire
09-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Desert between both armies over and over?

"I serve the Union, but I used to serve the Confederacy. That was before I left the union after I joined the Confederacy, which was after I'd served in the Union after leaving them for the Confederacy."

Fancy Sweetroll
09-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Desert between both armies over and over?

"I serve the Union, but I used to serve the Confederacy. That was before I left the union after I joined the Confederacy, which was after I'd served in the Union after leaving them for the Confederacy."

Haha :p

Hinkel
09-26-2016, 09:16 PM
We just had the idea to be able to assign roles to each soldier in your company.

So besides the rank, the company commander could assign a unique role to his soldiers.

Roles like: Color Bearer, Musician, Cook, Courier, Aid, Soldier, Skirmisher and such.

What do you think? Any other role ideas? :)

Etherton
09-26-2016, 09:16 PM
We just had the idea to be able to assign roles to each soldier in your company.

So besides the rank, the company commander could assign a unique role to his soldiers.

Roles like: Color Bearer, Musician, Cook, Courier, Aid, Soldier, Skirmisher and such.

Slave

Norwegian
09-26-2016, 09:20 PM

Sounds good to me!

Bravescot
09-26-2016, 09:23 PM
When you begin to get into the upper echelons how about ones like Adjutant, Commissary, Quartermaster etc.?

DanielG453
09-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Slave
Do you mean coloured soldiers, who have escaped to the north and wanted to fight for the cause?

Etherton
09-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Do you mean coloured soldiers, who have escaped to the north and wanted to fight for the cause?

No i meant ones who escaped from the south and travelled anywhere but east, west and south to fight for a cause rivalling the one they escaped from.....

Sarcasm ofc skrub

Hinkel
09-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Need some more ideas.

Here is an example for the artillery units out there ;)

https://i.gyazo.com/1fcadc9e06c3d53f76b4ff64cc0bdfcc.jpg

LTC Philip A. Work
09-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Need some more ideas.

Can we get a rank for the regimental gimp?

Hinkel
09-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Can we get a rank for the regimental gimp?

I did not expected that, mister Work... :rolleyes:

LTC Philip A. Work
09-26-2016, 10:49 PM
I did not expected that, mister Work... :rolleyes:

:D Looks great Hinkel, ya'll are doing phenomenal work.

JaegerCoyote
09-26-2016, 11:04 PM
That sounds interesting.

A. P. Hill
09-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Need some more ideas.

https://i.gyazo.com/1fcadc9e06c3d53f76b4ff64cc0bdfcc.jpg

Well yeah, you need Artificers, Blacksmiths, and Farriers for Artillery and Cavalry, and Quartermasters Departments.

A. P. Hill
09-26-2016, 11:21 PM
Slave

Actually called "Manservants."

Harris1815
09-26-2016, 11:36 PM
This looks amazing couldn't be Better

Bravescot
09-26-2016, 11:51 PM
You got section commander yet no platoon commander

JaegerCoyote
09-27-2016, 03:09 AM
Those are artillery ranks, light artillery didn't have platoons, just sections and batteries.

Bravescot
09-27-2016, 04:46 AM
I was thinking it was infantry, thanks for pointing out it was meant for the Arty.

Hinkel
09-27-2016, 09:21 AM
You got section commander yet no platoon commander

Well.. Platoons are a bit more complicated, cause you need to assign soldiers to such a Platoon.
We have it on our list, but I don't know, if we will add the platoon system in the first release.

FakeMessiah27
09-27-2016, 02:01 PM
It would indeed be pretty nice to assign soldiers to a 1st or 2nd platoon or something. The idea of roles is fairly amazing all-round.

[RG]Chewie
09-27-2016, 02:28 PM
don't forget pioneer

michaelsmithern
09-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Well.. Platoons are a bit more complicated, cause you need to assign soldiers to such a Platoon.
We have it on our list, but I don't know, if we will add the platoon system in the first release.

It'd be a huge addition to the game, and would allow for a more organized company, can't wait when or if you decide to put something like that into the game, i've waited this long and i can already get a whiff of Steam Early Access

Etherton
09-27-2016, 06:58 PM
It'd be a huge addition to the game, and would allow for a more organized company, can't wait when or if you decide to put something like that into the game, i've waited this long and i can already get a whiff of Steam Early Access

Not even in the skirmish phase yet pal so i wouldnt be getting any hopes of the steam early access, its still technical alpha :p

Wildcat
09-28-2016, 02:42 AM
What about Medals have you thought about something like that? So maybe if you do something in game it gives you a medal and it appears on your Profile, Or maybe Company Commanders can give Medals to their members?

A. P. Hill
09-28-2016, 02:51 AM
What about Medals have you thought about something like that? So maybe if you do something in game it gives you a medal and it appears on your Profile, Or maybe Company Commanders can give Medals to their members?

Guess you missed THIS (http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?2885-Veteran-Symbol-on-Company-tool) thread? :)

Wildcat
09-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Guess you missed THIS (http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?2885-Veteran-Symbol-on-Company-tool) thread? :)

I know about the thread but I wan't medals not a veteran symbol, So if your Captain thinks you have been exceptionally good at shooting they give you a medal for shooting etc

Hinkel
09-28-2016, 11:22 AM
I know about the thread but I wan't medals not a veteran symbol, So if your Captain thinks you have been exceptionally good at shooting they give you a medal for shooting etc

Even if there weren't much medals in the civil war, I would like to have awards and medals in the company tool.
So commanders can assign medals like bronze star, silver star and such, which then will be visible as a ribbon in your profile.

I think its an excellent idea :)

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-28-2016, 11:23 AM
I think this tool will be historical correct with correct roles etc. I think they won't support medals like "gold rifle" except real ones

EDIT:

Hinkel was faster :/

Leifr
09-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Even if there weren't much medals in the civil war, I would like to have awards and medals in the company tool.
So commanders can assign medals like bronze star, silver star and such, which then will be visible as a ribbon in your profile.

I think its an excellent idea :)

I don't think that would be a particularly good idea; incredibly anachronistic and out of place.

Hinkel
09-28-2016, 11:32 AM
I don't think that would be a particularly good idea; incredibly anachronistic and out of place.

Its a game after all, even with a very high historical accuracy.

Still, the players are able to take command of a company, which would take years of training in real life. They can promote their soldiers, even if those guys might have zero expierence.
In terms of company management, some of those companies/soldiers played together for years in other games. If they want to reward some of their soldiers for unique actions ingame and such, why shouldn't it be possible to assign medals?

Leifr
09-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Its a game after all, even with a very high historical accuracy.

Still, the players are able to take command of a company, which would take years of training in real life. They can promote their soldiers, even if those guys might have zero expierence.
In terms of company management, some of those companies/soldiers played together for years in other games. If they want to reward some of their soldiers for unique actions ingame and such, why shouldn't it be possible to assign medals?

Correct but these are abstractions to translate the real-world into an online video game. The suggestion of postbellum medals being dished out for service is still an anachronism and a poorly-informed one at that. It would be a distinct development decision to include such things, as opposed to your examples, in that it is not necessary for the fulfilment of the players. If you are aiming for a video game with high historical accuracy - aim for it and keep on it, otherwise it'll be diluted. It would be just one step towards something else that isn't relevant for the Maryland campaign of 1862.

Bravescot
09-28-2016, 12:37 PM
I fully agree with Leifr. There is no need or point to implement such a medal system. If companies wish to use unhistorical medals they can do it without the aide of the company tool.

Wildcat
09-28-2016, 12:39 PM
it doesn't have to be medals it could just be any kind of reward like a stamp or something on your profile to show off and have something to be proud of that you earned the stamp or reward or something.

I don't think having something as small as that is going to cause outrage because it's not historically accurate. It wouldn't even be in the game it would be more on the Company Tool. It just gives you something to work for.

(In reply to Bravescot we posted the same time so didn't see;

Not everyone is going to be in a Company, Im sure their will just be casual players who play Skirmishes and just tag along with whatever Company is playing, So these Casual players will not have any type of reward system, No promotions and no out of game "medals" etc.

And you can't just say it is their fault for not joining a company or creating one but not everyone has the time to create companies and I can see why people wouldn't want to join one considering the game hasn't been released yet and their is already Company drama.

Bravescot
09-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Medals during the period where very very few and far between and made more often by commanders than by the whole army. There is no place for them, whether the person is in a company or not.

Wildcat
09-28-2016, 12:49 PM
thats why I said "it doesn't have to be medals it could just be any kind of reward like a stamp or something on your profile to show off and have something to be proud of that you earned the stamp or reward or something."

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-28-2016, 12:56 PM
then just make it a steam reward. I don't want to scroll through the companies and see they have a reward for killing 5 10 & 30 men like in NW. there are companies which have 20 medals or rewards in gold silver and bronze. I don't know why but there are always players which earned all 20 and in my opinion it's ridiculous

Hinkel
09-28-2016, 12:58 PM
People have spoken.. no awards or medals then.

Wildcat
09-28-2016, 01:10 PM
then just make it a steam reward. I don't want to scroll through the companies and see they have a reward for killing 5 10 & 30 men like in NW. there are companies which have 20 medals or rewards in gold silver and bronze. I don't know why but there are always players which earned all 20 and in my opinion it's ridiculous

in NW/NaS people just give out medals at random most people don't take them that seriously thats why I wanted something that you earn ingame and then it appears on your profile within the Company Tool.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
09-28-2016, 01:13 PM
in NW/NaS people just give out medals at random most people don't take them that seriously thats why I wanted something that you earn ingame and then it appears on your profile within the Company Tool.

But who is allowed to set them? if it's possible to avoid a spam I would like it but sometimes I think commanders just create medals to award themselves.

Wildcat
09-28-2016, 01:23 PM
But who is allowed to set them? if it's possible to avoid a spam I would like it but sometimes I think commanders just create medals to award themselves.

it could be that you unlock it through doing things in game then it automatically gave you a "medal" on your profile.

Legion
09-28-2016, 01:23 PM
One thing I've been thinking about is after-action reports. I think it would be cool to have a section where you can fill out reports of the battle that you just fought in, so you could tell the story of the units action during that battle.

You could list things like your casualties, what the unit did, who you fought, etc. It'd be a cool feature imo, and would allow us to develop our company story.

Lance Rawlings
09-28-2016, 01:55 PM
One thing I've been thinking about is after-action reports. I think it would be cool to have a section where you can fill out reports of the battle that you just fought in, so you could tell the story of the units action during that battle.

You could list things like your casualties, what the unit did, who you fought, etc. It'd be a cool feature imo, and would allow us to develop our company story.

I agree, Legion. Right now we have an after-action report in our group discussion, however we haven't implemented it very much yet. Another thing I think would be cool and I think has been discussed somewhere (probably here) is having rosters to fill out for each game session, be it drill, battle, etc. These are historically accurate and it would be awesome to have something that looks like them to fill out which would go into a "folder" if you will to keep record of active members.

Wildcat
09-28-2016, 01:57 PM

I like it, That way when people join companies they can see how good they are beforehand.

Mississippi
09-28-2016, 02:34 PM
Medals & badges would be great for steam achievements.

Maryland Campaign: Participate in the Maryland Campaign.

Medal of Honor: Capture a Confederate battle flag.

Southern Cross of Honor: Capture a Union battle flag.

Confederacy: Win the Maryland Campaign as the Confederacy.

Union: Win the Maryland Campaign as the Union.

Purple Heart: Wounded in Battle

Bravescot
09-28-2016, 02:36 PM
I can fully back it as an idea for achievements.

yoyo8346
09-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Medal of Honor: Capture a Union battle flag.

Southern Cross of Honor: Capture a Confederate battle flag.

I think you said these backwards :P

A. P. Hill
09-28-2016, 03:02 PM

Well, it does tend to agree with the dev team's statement that individuals will not be scored as individuals, but rather companies, thus regiments, brigades, divisions, corps, and armies will be scored. ;)

Mississippi
09-28-2016, 03:21 PM
I think you said these backwards :P

Aye I didn't even notice. Thanks for informing me m8, I've just updated it :cool:.

michaelsmithern
09-28-2016, 05:37 PM

hmm, the medals would be a nice addition, especially for those who like to use them as an award for great feats, and as Maximus said, you'd get one for 5/10/15 kills in ranged or melee. They'd most likely be helpful for communities in the War of Rights family, for instance let's say the Dixieland Army doesn't disband upon full release of this game and moves over, well they may want a way to show their skills or what they were good at, and these would serve that purpose. However i wouldn't want the medals to actually be visible in game.

Another argument, this time against the idea, is simply that you can go into teamspeak and assign the medals...although I hope most use the VOIP, because i think it seems cooler

Leifr
09-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Again there's a conflict of ideas here; it was stipulated in one of the developer diaries (or a developer comment) that a specific kill-feed would not be appearing in the game, instead relying upon a post-battle estimation of casualities just like the Civil War. Awarding medals for 'x' amount of kills in both ranged and melee is not only incongruous to this idea but utterly baseless in reality. If this were so, I would imagine that those lucky few who fired their rifle and mortally wounded a General would be lauded in their respective nations and given more than just a piece of buffed tin. I have zero inclination on finding out more of the DA from N&S but I'm under good assurances that it is a terrible thing for WoR, least of all because combined arms throughout each branch of the military hasn't even been established yet. If a group of players cannot incentivise themselves towards good, honest behaviour and guile upon the field of battle than I'm dubious as to the true qualities of these much-lauded medals that some folk are clamouring for.

That said, I would be happy to see some Steam achievement unlock for those who are really very much desperate to have their playing time legitimised with some faux accomplishment.
Everything in deed and name, not hubris.

Bravescot
09-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Here here!

MadWolf
09-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Not a Big fan of the medals and awards idee.

If you really want to be a Peacock (no disrespect) just let your CO write something in your Profile Remarks.

FakeMessiah27
09-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Agreed. The idea sounds nice for Steam achievements but not for the actual game. Besides, if you really do want something inside the actual company tool to show off your accomplishments, there's always the commander's remarks.

People seem to be underestimating how much you can do with such a simple feature. A medal for getting X amount of kills says that you have indeed killed these X amount of people, which can just as easily be accomplished by your own company commander putting down a note commending you for your actions.

Etherton
09-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Whats wrong with having medals? A rather id say pointless system of assinging players 'roles' is in which doesnt have an affect other than to create some form of historical nod to company life is in but people disagree with the ability to have medals? Its the point of the tool to create a good company center point and give leaders the ability to admin their soldiers etc? Medals just creates more of a community element WITHIN the tool, surely having as many added extras and perks in the tool as possible is a good thing to keep people using the tool more? Would be nice to see it expand over time!

Bravescot
09-28-2016, 08:06 PM
You can do it outside of the tool. As you literally just said the rolls are added to make it more historical because the tool is meant to be authentic and then argue for something non historical.

Norwegian
09-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Whats wrong with having medals? A rather id say pointless system of assinging players 'roles' is in which doesnt have an affect other than to create some form of historical nod to company life is in but people disagree with the ability to have medals? Its the point of the tool to create a good company center point and give leaders the ability to admin their soldiers etc? Medals just creates more of a community element WITHIN the tool, surely having as many added extras and perks in the tool as possible is a good thing to keep people using the tool more? Would be nice to see it expand over time!

I fully agree with what Etherton stated above, and in my opinion, we should have medals. Definitely a nice aspect to the tool, and we can award our members with them, and it will give them a sense of accomplishment for doing something, and I do think that is good.

If a certain company does not like the medals idea, they can just choose not to use them, simple.

Bravescot
09-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Implementing it in the first place already deminishes what War of Rights aims to be, an authentic representation of the Maryland Campaign. You all bought in know full well that is what they were aiming for and so you should not try and force them to divert from it. One small concession give way to another and so on. It is not needed and nor does it matter. You can have a medal system away from the company tool and that wouldn't change much. Having it in however would be, as I said, a diversion from what WoR is.

Lance Rawlings
09-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Implementing it in the first place already deminishes what War of Rights aims to be, an authentic representation of the Maryland Campaign. You all bought in know full well that is what they were aiming for and so you should not try and force them to divert from it. One small concession give way to another and so on. It is not needed and nor does it matter. You can have a medal system away from the company tool and that wouldn't change much. Having it in however would be, as I said, a diversion from what WoR is.

I agree, the use of such "medals" is unhistorical. Everyone is exciting about one of the first actually realistic games and now a few people are asking it to be exactly like any other game: relying and XP and medals to promote oneself. Someone mentioned earlier about the captains remarks area where you can give praise for incredible feats, which I think is a better way to do the whole "you done good, kid" thing. I'm fine with medals in Steam for achievements, but keep them in Steam.

TrustyJam
09-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Medals won't be implemented as they are simply bringing any historical authenticity. That is not to say we won't be implementing other company features (besides personal remarks) that might offer options for praise as medals would. :)

- Trusty

Lance Rawlings
09-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Medals won't be implemented as they are simply bringing any historical authenticity. That is not to say we won't be implementing other company features (besides personal remarks) that might offer options for praise as medals would. :)

- Trusty

Awesome!

Etherton
09-28-2016, 09:03 PM
You can do it outside of the tool. As you literally just said the rolls are added to make it more historical because the tool is meant to be authentic and then argue for something non historical.

not really at all, i said the only reason it was implemented was to give a nod to company history stuff, i used it as a point to prove that other things that are seen as pointless by others are in, medals just gives the tool something extra for the community, after all its a tool for the community, would be nice to see if people wanted it or not, personally i think its good just as a way to reward your men publicly. using the excuse 'oh you can do it outside of the tool' isnt anywhere near the point, you can do everything the tool does outside of it really if you wanted to but this brings it together under 1 single thing, just helps to reduce the things people may do elsewhere and improve the tool to being that strong community tool that it can be

Legion
09-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Is it releasing soon? It seems likely because of the new forum section. My fingers are crossed:D

JaegerCoyote
09-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Legion, go to main page, that countdown is when it is release but until then, we have a test version.

michaelsmithern
09-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Are you guys brewing a concotion in your mystical pot of goodies that might allow us to send telegrams to other companies. Like if i wanted to send a Telegram to Bravescot (and this is an example, so please no be mad at me Brave) that said "you smell of elderberries" then that would be cool.

TrustyJam
09-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Are you guys brewing a concotion in your mystical pot of goodies that might allow us to send telegrams to other companies. Like if i wanted to send a Telegram to Bravescot (and this is an example, so please no be mad at me Brave) that said "you smell of elderberries" then that would be cool.

As long as his mother isn't a hamster..

- Trusty

Legion
09-29-2016, 09:48 PM

Agreed, it would be a great feature if captains can send telegrams to other companies.

Wildcat
09-29-2016, 10:31 PM
id like to be able to send telegrams to other people as a form of messaging people

Legion
09-29-2016, 10:44 PM
id like to be able to send telegrams to other people as a form of messaging people

Agreed, the good news is that it's planned from what I understand.

Wildcat
09-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Agreed, the good news is that it's planned from what I understand.

yay!

Bravescot
09-30-2016, 12:49 PM
As long as his mother isn't a hamster..

- Trusty

Damn it, you beat me to it!