PDA

View Full Version : Gamemodes?

Adam
11-25-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure how the game currently works towards multiplayer.

The thing I'm interested in is the gamemodes, from the NW experience I think you will be promoting a type of line battle type scene, but what about for just random free play?

Such, (sorry for referencing Napoleonic Wars), as a Commander Battle, where your the officer, and you command "bots" or "AI" around.

TrustyJam
11-25-2014, 10:01 PM
We'll be featuring at least two types of gamemodes; Historical battles and skirmishes. Historical battles, are, as the name suggests, full on historically accurate battles (in terms of spawn points, objectives), the entire level will be open so distance will increase the general playthrough time. Skirmishes are much smaller sections of any given level cut up (It could be the attack on Burnside Bridge and the heights beyond for instance) with relative simple objectives. This will be our "instant action" gamemode where the players don't need to worry about long marches over rather huge distances or the tactics involved when moving troops.

I haven't really played Napoleonic Wars a whole lot so I can't comment on how they do things. I will say, however, that we have no plans to include any sort of AI gamemodes.

- Trusty

Hinkel
11-25-2014, 10:21 PM
If you try to compare it with Napoleonic Wars, its a bit hard to do so.

You can play line battles in those 2 game modes. The current NW line battles would be like our skirmish mode.. you have a fixed map (mostly a small part of the full battle map, like Trusty said) and spawn positions pretty close to each other for "quick" action. Those "skirmish maps" are way bigger then a regular NW map.

But you can also try to play a line battle on the historical game mode, with the entire 4x4 kilometer map (might be the size of 400 NW maps), historical spawn positions, reinforcement options and such.
Those line battles might take hours of course :)

Rithal
11-25-2014, 10:52 PM
If you try to compare it with Napoleonic Wars, its a bit hard to do so.

You can play line battles in those 2 game modes. The current NW line battles would be like our skirmish mode.. you have a fixed map (mostly a small part of the full battle map, like Trusty said) and spawn positions pretty close to each other for "quick" action. Those "skirmish maps" are way bigger then a regular NW map.

But you can also try to play a line battle on the historical game mode, with the entire 4x4 kilometer map (might be the size of 400 NW maps), historical spawn positions, reinforcement options and such.
Those line battles might take hours of course :)

Sounds good to me! :D

Bravescot
11-25-2014, 11:38 PM
As long as we get battle honours!

Devmc99
11-26-2014, 02:23 AM
How would spawning work in Historical battles if the matches go for so long. I'm guessing it's not once you're dead, you're dead for the round, because that would suck to wait that long to respawn.

TrustyJam
11-26-2014, 02:29 AM
How would spawning work in Historical battles if the matches go for so long. I'm guessing it's not once you're dead, you're dead for the round, because that would suck to wait that long to respawn.

We'll go into detail regarding that a little later. Rest assured, you won't have to wait an entire round to respawn. :)

- Trusty

[RG]Chewie
11-26-2014, 04:03 AM
How about a Harper's ferry train raid?

Rithal
11-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Chewie;4627']How about a Harper's ferry train raid?

Yeah, it would be cool to kind of have some specialized historical missions.

Soulfly
11-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Actually i would live to see a mode where you have to capture certain points like in BG2 ( the skirmish mode of this game). This is a nice mode for some action packed hours beside the "line battle" mode

Bravescot
11-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Actually i would live to see a mode where you have to capture certain points like in BG2 ( the skirmish mode of this game). This is a nice mode for some action packed hours beside the "line battle" mode

The farms or small clusters of buildings should be the capture points. Make them harder nuts to crack and will add to the action as you storm the town or buildings. Maybe implement a point capture system into the historical battles. This is just an example but obviously at Gettysburg Little Round Top was a key point. So holding that would give the Generals a capture point and it will unlock for the much better supplies, it will give Generals the intensive to be a bit more aggressive or defence in their ways and give them a real objective 'Capture all the points to win' instead of 'Kill of the damn Rebel/Federal SOBs'

TrustyJam
11-26-2014, 10:23 AM
The farms or small clusters of buildings should be the capture points. Make them harder nuts to crack and will add to the action as you storm the town or buildings. Maybe implement a point capture system into the historical battles. This is just an example but obviously at Gettysburg Little Round Top was a key point. So holding that would give the Generals a capture point and it will unlock for the much better supplies, it will give Generals the intensive to be a bit more aggressive or defence in their ways and give them a real objective 'Capture all the points to win' instead of 'Kill of the damn Rebel/Federal SOBs'

There will be capture points in the historical battles.

- Trusty

Rithal
11-27-2014, 04:01 AM
There will be capture points in the historical battles.

- Trusty

I think this will be cool if it's done right. Just try to be sure it doesn't result in both sides just charging in for the capture point rather than being strategic.

Soulfly
11-27-2014, 07:02 AM
I think this will be cool if it's done right. Just try to be sure it doesn't result in both sides just charging in for the capture point rather than being strategic.

All my trust to the devs...but how should they influence the way players will act on certain situations ? this will be up to the commanders/ NCOs and server admins and charging in for capture points can be strategic as well

Rithal
11-27-2014, 07:51 AM
All my trust to the devs...but how should they influence the way players will act on certain situations ? this will be up to the commanders/ NCOs and server admins and charging in for capture points can be strategic as well

I was thinking that, but I just don't want to see formations completely broken by people just trying to charge the point for the most xp/points or whatever.

Soulfly
11-27-2014, 10:31 AM
I was thinking that, but I just don't want to see formations completely broken by people just trying to charge the point for the most xp/points or whatever.

I know what you are referring to, but since this a gameplay issue i really don't know how the devs could avoid this...hard coded penalties for Rambos ? In my opinion those guys will be useful sometimes, just think about "Burnsides Bridge" where normal soldiers chosed to rush the bridge and attack the CSA position on their own, after their officers has been killed...and actually made it. So coding restrictions here would be more gamebreaking than helpful.

william2401
11-28-2014, 09:43 PM
surely these battles wouldn't take more than 2 hours, because if they did, I think it would be much too long really as many people wont be able to be in one for 2 hours

Hinkel
11-28-2014, 09:55 PM
surely these battles wouldn't take more than 2 hours, because if they did, I think it would be much too long really as many people wont be able to be in one for 2 hours

Other regiments can come in as reinforcements, which are on a different time zone for example.
EU starts a battle.. after 2 hours of fighting over the objectives, NA regiments will came up and continue the fight. There is no problem :)

CivilWarMan
11-28-2014, 11:14 PM
To be honest i think it would work out very well

Rithal
11-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Other regiments can come in as reinforcements, which are on a different time zone for example.
EU starts a battle.. after 2 hours of fighting over the objectives, NA regiments will came up and continue the fight. There is no problem :)

Sounds cool and innovative!

Bravescot
11-30-2014, 11:49 AM

How will Ping be handled though?

Rithal
11-30-2014, 11:46 PM
How will Ping be handled though?

I was thinking that. You would need some pretty good servers up to allow both eu and na players.

Hinkel
12-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Thats just an idea guys. Personally, I can't see anything, which could be against those "longer" line battles.
And as you know, there are also NaS line battles, in which NA and EU take part.

The netcode and ping is handled different in the CryEngine. I don't think you can compare it with the warband system :)

Soulfly
12-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Since there are already games using such a gaming system i do not see a problem either. This is even getting more interesting when thinking about the whole campaign, totally worth a try.

Bravescot
12-01-2014, 02:03 PM
How will victory be decided in these Skirmishes and Historical battles?

RadDogOne
12-07-2014, 06:34 AM
To be honest, call me an idiot, but there should be a few things added.

1). Training "yard"-
Will take place maybe at a Union/Confederate camp (depending on the side you choose), where you can test out the weapons (as in practice shooting them at targets, maybe scarecrows), as well as tutorials as in: Mortor firing, cannon firing, horse back riding, ETC. (just some ideas).

2). Capture the Flag-
Yes I understand this is not "historical", but it will change up the game a little bit. CTF would be like tea time, taking a break from all the realism. Maybe the Union and Confederation are fighting on stealing each-other's flags (maybe to burn them, up to the developers).

3). King of the Hill-
Ah, a good old classic. King of the hill will be both sides fighting for the top spot. The last man standing with what ever the possession wins the round.

Rithal
12-08-2014, 03:49 AM
To be honest, call me an idiot, but there should be a few things added.

1). Training "yard"-
Will take place maybe at a Union/Confederate camp (depending on the side you choose), where you can test out the weapons (as in practice shooting them at targets, maybe scarecrows), as well as tutorials as in: Mortor firing, cannon firing, horse back riding, ETC. (just some ideas).

2). Capture the Flag-
Yes I understand this is not "historical", but it will change up the game a little bit. CTF would be like tea time, taking a break from all the realism. Maybe the Union and Confederation are fighting on stealing each-other's flags (maybe to burn them, up to the developers).

3). King of the Hill-
Ah, a good old classic. King of the hill will be both sides fighting for the top spot. The last man standing with what ever the possession wins the round.

Number 1 sounds good. I don't see where 2 would fit in, considering they are trying to be as realistic as possible. 3 sounds fun, but situations like this will arise in normal game play when both sides are trying to gain a foothold on the same position.