PDA

View Full Version : 1st. South Carolina Infantry, Company A "Gregg's Guards"

Morten N.Høines
10-15-2016, 03:19 PM
1st. South Carolina Infantry, Gregg's Guards

Volunteers needed to fight the yankee invader!
look for 1st South Carolina Company A in the company too to volunteer!

http://i.imgur.com/3SQY9Hp.jpg?1

This regiment is sometimes referred to as Gregg's Regiment, although technically Col. Gregg was over a brigade, and after his death, command of the brigade went to Gen. McGowan.

Rivers account lists D. B. Miller as the captain of this company when it was first formed about the 1st of February, 1861 and that the company was from Richland County. The company was evidently reorganized by about the 1st of August with men from Barnwell County. I have not located a roster of this first company.

Company A was mustered into service for the war, at Richmond, Va., August 19, 1861, by Lieutenant Thos. T. Bryson, Mustering Officer.

http://i.imgur.com/BqDb6pa.jpg

Link to Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184337765313353/

A. P. Hill
10-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Congrats!

Welcome to the CSA!

Welcome to the Light Division!

Hatchmo
10-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the Light Division and to the 2nd Brigade!

I look forward to serving with you!

Leifr
10-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Welcome.

Morten N.Høines
10-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks! it's gonna be an honor to serve with y'all
Deo Vindice!

yoyo8346
10-15-2016, 10:57 PM
Glad to see you boys with us :D

adeninesmt
10-16-2016, 12:20 AM
Welcome to the Light Division and to the 2nd Brigade!

I look forward to serving with you!

Thank you Sir, much appreciated. We will serve the 2nd Brigade well!

adeninesmt
10-16-2016, 12:20 AM
Welcome.

Glad to see you boys with us :D

Thank you Gentlemen. The Company appreciates it!

adeninesmt
10-16-2016, 12:21 AM
Congrats!

Welcome to the CSA!

Welcome to the Light Division!

Thank you Sir, much appreciated! We are glad to be with you and serving under you!

Morten N.Høines
10-16-2016, 08:44 PM
Glad to be here! Lets send these yankees back to Washington!

Deo Vindice

adeninesmt
10-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Weekly Update: Oct. 9-16
To: All Hands

Greetings Gentlemen,

It has been a long week of changes for us, since have gone through a lot of new things this week. First, we
joined AP Hill's Light Division, Gregg's Brigade. Thus, we changed from Co. B, Cobb's Legion to Co. A, 1st
South Carolina Infantry Regiment. Organizational changes also happened along with promotions that I will
address later in this report. We finished up our first School of the Officer for Lt.Col. Høines and 2nd Lt.
Fiskum. We began our School of the NCO, which is progressing into this week.

Friday Drill went very well, with myself leading the Company when I was still 1st Lt. and XO. We hammered
down more drill and firing exercises. Then the company progressed into School of the NCO, in which Sgt.
Peursum did amazing at, under Sgt. Thornton's keen and guiding direction. The rest of Friday and all of
Saturday began the changeover process from Cobb's Legion to our new home with the gracious Gentlemen
of AP Hill's Division. We also got our Steam Group up and running, which is now our standard for Company
communications along with our FB Group.

Sunday Drill was a great day for us. Before Drill at the staff meeting we went through the new Officer Promotions,
so congratulations to Lt.Col. Høines and 2nd Lt. Long. Then we began drill with ceremonies: retiring the Cobb's
Legion Colors and taking on our new Co. A, 1st SC Inf.Regt. Colors. Also, Lt.Col. Høines gave us a heartwarming
rendition of Stonewall's "Farewell Speech," to the men for his promotion to Battalion Command. After the changeover,
Sgt. Peursum, Sgt. Thornton, Cpl. Goad, Cpl. Lark, were all promoted to their current ranks as NCO's in the Company.
Also, all of our volunteers where promoted to the rank of Private meritoriously for their dedication to the Company
through these times. Drill was then handed over to Lt.Col. Høines to conduct, since I had other duties to attend to.

Going into this week, I will be updating the Brigade and Company Steam Groups with times and dates for the next
School of the Officer, and Sgt. Thornton will be doing the same for the next School of the NCO. These schools are
now opened to all of Gregg's Brigade, so contact me on there if you are a Capt. of a Company in Gregg's Bde. and
wish to know more about these schools. By Wednesday, a final decision will be made on drill times changing for
Company Drill on Friday's and Sunday's. Other than that, this was all the news for Co. A from last week.

Regards,
Capt. van Nix, CO
Co.A/1/1st SC Inf.Regt.
Gregg's Bde./AP Hill's Light Division

yoyo8346
10-17-2016, 04:15 PM
I might have missed something, but how have you guys formed a battalion with one company?

adeninesmt
10-17-2016, 04:27 PM
No, we formed a battalion with our Company, (Co. A, 1st SC Infantry), and another company in our Brigade, (Co. C, 1st SC Infantry) formerly under Maj. Locke (now XO for the Battalion).

yoyo8346
10-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Ahh I see. Awesome!

adeninesmt
10-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Yea, we are excited as well!

Bravescot
10-17-2016, 05:13 PM

I didn't know this was the Navy xD

A. P. Hill
10-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Good report!

adeninesmt
10-18-2016, 12:54 AM
I didn't know this was the Navy xD

Carried over from my Marine Corps days lol.

Good report!

Thank you Sir! I appreciate that.

ROMANOW
10-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Good luck

adeninesmt
10-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Weekly Update: Oct. 17-23

Greetings Gentlemen,

This week's report is a little shorter due to the changes made. Friday Drill was conducted and went quite well. The
Company first held staff meetings, then proceeded to morning report and formation. Afterwards, LCpl. Vaeson was
promoted meritoriously, so congrats to him and many thanks for his dedication to the Company. As a Lance Corporal,
LCpl. Vaeson will be shadowing the more senior Cpl. Goad, and will be attending School of the NCO soon. After promotions
Company was led to the firing range to conduct firing drills. After an excellent and flawless performance, more progress
was made on new drill movements. The Company was then dismissed to platoons for training. Each platoon worked
together on solidifying cohesion. Once this was complete, both platoons faced off in skirmishes, to hone their
marksmanship and tactical skill. It was quite excellent watching the platoon engage each other and see the Officers
and NCO's performing flawlessly. Company was then formed and dismissed.

Sunday Drill was called off due to the new updates. The Company Staff decided drill would be off til next Friday to
give everyone time to update and enjoy the additions. For this week, we have begun to finish the last few School of
the NCO classes for our company, and shift to conducting this and the Officer School for the men of our sister companies
in the Battalion. We have managed to enlist a few more volunteers, which we have been working with through the week.
On the Staff side, we have had multiple members of companies from our Battalion and Division performing tactical scenario
walkthroughs from last week to this one. Though they have taken a while, it has been highly enlightening working and learning
with each other. I look forward to more of this in the next few weeks.

As for now, that is all to report for Company A.

Regards,
Capt. van Nix, CO
Co.A/1/1st SC Inf.Regt.
Gregg's Bde./AP Hill's Light Division

adeninesmt
10-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Thank you!

Hatchmo
10-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Captain,

Thank you for the report. I have seen with my own eyes the fine work your men are doing and no doubt word has traveled into the Yankee camps as well. I look forward to seeing your men in action. Keep it up, Captain!

BoldRover
10-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Signed up yesterday.
Looking forward to joining you in the fight for independence!

Hinkel
11-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Good training :)

A. P. Hill
11-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Yep, I was on the server when the 1st SC Co A boys showed up in force.

There were so many names on the server with [1stSC A] in front of their names. :)

Ya'll do us proud!!!

Morten N.Høines
11-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Thank you sir, we do our very best to show what the south has to offer!

Hatchmo
11-07-2016, 02:15 PM
The Co A 1st SC Infantry is definitely the spear tip of my brigade! Proud of these boys!

yoyo8346
11-07-2016, 02:31 PM
The Co A 1st SC Infantry is definitely the spear tip of my brigade! Proud of these boys!

If not your brigade, the entire division.

adeninesmt
11-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Good training :)

Yep, I was on the server when the 1st SC Co A boys showed up in force.

There were so many names on the server with [1stSC A] in front of their names. :)

Ya'll do us proud!!!

If not your brigade, the entire division.

Thank you Gentlemen, I highly appreciate that!!!

Bravescot
11-07-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm a little confused by the command structure here. I thought Mr. Høines' was Captain but his sig says Lt. Col. and the same with Mr. adeninesmt. Who is actually the Captain here?

Hatchmo
11-07-2016, 05:22 PM
I'm a little confused by the command structure here. I thought Mr. Høines' was Captain but his sig says Lt. Col. and the same with Mr. adeninesmt. Who is actually the Captain here?

They just switched positions. He evidently just hasn't changed his signature yet.

Bravescot
11-07-2016, 05:37 PM
They just switched positions. He evidently just hasn't changed his signature yet.

Ah, okay. So which companies are in the Battalion that warrant a Lieutenant Colonel?

Hatchmo
11-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Ah, okay. So which companies are in the Battalion that warrant a Lieutenant Colonel?

I'm not in the habit of divulging sensitive military information to mine enemy. :)

Profender
11-13-2016, 10:13 AM
I'm not in the habit of divulging sensitive military information to mine enemy. :)

Good on you, lot of questions from a Union soldier who is also moderator. It is all on a need to know basis :-)

Bravescot
11-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Good on you, lot of questions from a Union soldier who is also moderator. It is all on a need to know basis :-)

For it being "need to know" it's pretty public on the Division's thread ;). Co. A and C forming 1st Battalion (With a total of 43 men). I was curious as to why the Battalion suddenly had two Lt. Col. so I asked. Which subsequently lead to the question of how many companies/men must they have to warrant a Lt. Col. in the first place. So I must ask...what's me being a mod got to do with the price of fish?

William F. Randolph
11-14-2016, 06:05 PM
This Yankee lawyer is getting me riled up :rolleyes:

Leave Confederate business to Confederate businessmen.

Profender
11-17-2016, 02:40 PM
For it being "need to know" it's pretty public on the Division's thread ;). Co. A and C forming 1st Battalion (With a total of 43 men). I was curious as to why the Battalion suddenly had two Lt. Col. so I asked. Which subsequently lead to the question of how many companies/men must they have to warrant a Lt. Col. in the first place. So I must ask...what's me being a mod got to do with the price of fish?

You are start talking about fish now... Man... O .. man your mod "job" must be getting to you now... :-)

Things you must ask and want to ask are totally different things. Great you have such interest !

This Yankee lawyer is getting me riled up :rolleyes:

Leave Confederate business to Confederate businessmen.

haha indeed!

Leifr
11-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Merged posts, Profender.
Please avoid double-posting in the future.

Warmest regards,
Leifr.

IRONSIDES
11-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Locke1740, clear your inbox please. I can't respond to your PM. ;)

Bravescot
11-30-2016, 04:20 PM
Considering this is kaput, do I need to lock this?

A. P. Hill
11-30-2016, 04:23 PM
Seeing as how it is dissolved, what's the point of keeping the thread.
Just delete it after verified.

Clutter is a bad thing. .;)

Bravescot
11-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Seeing as how it is dissolved, what's the point of keeping the thread.
Just delete it after verified.

Thank you for your input but I need confirmation from Mr. Høines