PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Ancestors

Arawn1030
11-10-2016, 03:33 AM
Have you ever found your [American] Civil War ancestor? If so, do you have a picture?

chamberlain
11-10-2016, 06:40 PM
yep here you go link will be better

https://www.google.com/search?q=mcclellan&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1686&bih=861&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjozZut-J7QAhUG2WMKHQWTCsQQ_AUICCgD

Locke1740
11-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Private Francis Asbury Taylor, Inglis Light Artillery, 2nd South Carolina Artillery. Served in the only light artillery battery of the 2nd SC Artillery. Was from Darlington, South Carolina and was named after one of the first Methodist preachers in North America, Francis Asbury. Fought all over SC Coastline and at Averasboro and Bentonville.

Legion
11-11-2016, 02:22 AM
One of many civil war ancestors:
Jesse S Crosby, 5thSgt. 20th Georgia Infantry Regiment.

Fought in almost every major battle in the Army of Northern Virginia and fought in the western theater with Longstreet. Was wounded at Gettysburg and lost his leg at The Wilderness.

These are just some of the battles he fought in:

Seven Days Battles
Malvern Hill
2nd Manassas
Sharpsburg
Gettysburg
Chickamauga
Battle of the Wilderness

[WoR] Kiff
11-11-2016, 02:48 AM
I am related to a private that was in the 30th Ohio Infantry. Believe it or not he is actually dead now.

Legion
11-11-2016, 03:16 AM
Kiff;50728']I am related to a private that was in the 30th Ohio Infantry. Believe it or not he is actually dead now.

That's a shame, if only more of our civil war ancestors were alive today.

Arawn1030
11-12-2016, 08:24 PM
yep here you go link will be better

https://www.google.com/search?q=mcclellan&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1686&bih=861&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjozZut-J7QAhUG2WMKHQWTCsQQ_AUICCgD

Are you actually related to George McClellan? That's awesome.

Arawn1030
11-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Private Francis Asbury Taylor, Inglis Light Artillery, 2nd South Carolina Artillery. Served in the only light artillery battery of the 2nd SC Artillery. Was from Darlington, South Carolina and was named after one of the first Methodist preachers in North America, Francis Asbury. Fought all over SC Coastline and at Averasboro and Bentonville.

Any chance you know his role? Was he a gunner or a loader?

Arawn1030
11-12-2016, 08:28 PM
One of many civil war ancestors:
Jesse S Crosby, 5thSgt. 20th Georgia Infantry Regiment.

Fought in almost every major battle in the Army of Northern Virginia and fought in the western theater with Longstreet. Was wounded at Gettysburg and lost his leg at The Wilderness.

These are just some of the battles he fought in:

Seven Days Battles
Malvern Hill
2nd Manassas
Sharpsburg
Gettysburg
Chickamauga
Battle of the Wilderness

How do you mean "many" was your family one of those families that all went to fight for Southern Independence? Brothers and Fathers alike.

Locke1740
11-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Any chance you know his role? Was he a gunner or a loader?

Sadly I do not know what he was, I'm still trying to find a way to get detailed service records if anyone knows. I REALLY want to find out cause he's my only direct ancestor.

Bravescot
11-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Hey Arawn1030, please try and refrain from triple posting in the future :).

Arawn1030
11-12-2016, 11:10 PM
Hey Arawn1030, please try and refrain from triple posting in the future :).

Sorry I was just trying to reply to them individually.

JaegerCoyote
11-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Daniel Henry Tracy, Corporal, 28th Iowa Infantry

Fought every battle of the regiment until Ceder Creek where he was wounded and captured.

Legion
11-14-2016, 09:56 PM
How do you mean "many" was your family one of those families that all went to fight for Southern Independence? Brothers and Fathers alike.

Yes, many members of my family fought for the south, I don't know of any who fought for the north. They fought in almost every theater of the war.

IRONSIDES
11-22-2016, 04:36 AM
I have three ancestors on my Dad's side. Great Grandfather x 5 William Dunn and his brothers. One fought for the South. I will ask my cousin for the pictures and post them here.

Locke1740
11-22-2016, 09:41 PM
2nd cousin 5 or 6 times removed

James Dixon
11-25-2016, 12:29 AM
I dont remember his first name but his last name was Dixon from Illinois. Still researching more

Pvt. Marcus McCutchan
11-25-2016, 07:07 AM
I named my account after my ancestor, Pvt. Marcus McCutchan. He was born in Indiana in 1843, and ran away from home when he was 16. He found work in Tennessee, working on railroads. When the war broke out, he was conscripted into the 27th Tennessee of the CSA. At the Battle of Shiloh, he was wounded and taken to a hospital that was 50 miles from Union lines. He escaped to the North, and joined the 17th Indiana of the Union Army.

FrancisM
11-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Did the confederacy use conscription in 1861?

Lance Rawlings
11-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Did the confederacy use conscription in 1861?

The first CS draft was in April of 1862.

Beanbomb
11-26-2016, 11:53 PM
I have an ancestor in the 4th Texas Inf, he was wounded at Antietam and died at the Wilderness. I have a letter of his describing how he wants the war to be over.
I also had 2 ancestors in a Texas cavalry unit (father and son?), was supposed to receive lances but never got them.
I have union ancestors in Missouri cavalry, and they fought in a battle against my 2 Texas ancestors above.
Another union ancestor of mine was with the artillery at Vicksburg.
I also have a photograph of another ancestor of mine, but he isn't very interesting.

William F. Randolph
11-27-2016, 02:47 AM
This one is a doozy, if you like Stonewall Jackson be prepared to read the whole page, it is quite an interesting ancestor I've got here, let me know what y'all think.

https://books.google.com/books?id=p-fgHRVWmd0C&pg=PA638&lpg=PA638&dq=captain+william+f.randolph+Captain+of+Stonewall +Jackson%27s+Bodyguard&source=bl&ots=pnTpZlekSr&sig=SkNie-v1hq9I_1fmxlZTTpf7ygo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKvK3v_MfQAhUGRyYKHedRBEoQ6AEIMzAF#v=on epage&q&f=false

[WoR] Kiff
11-29-2016, 12:09 AM
My 5th Great Grandfather owned a theater and had a town named after his daughter. A horse kicked him and then he died. What a shame...

chamberlain
12-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Are you actually related to George McClellan? That's awesome.

Yep

Legion
03-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Found out some more about my family.

4th Great Uncle,
James J Cowart
1st Sgt.
27th Georgia Infantry Regiment
Co. B
Enlisted in Company B, Georgia 27th Infantry Regiment on 10 Sep 1861. Mustered out on 26 Apr 1865 at Greensboro, NC.

Battles:
Yorktown
Williamsburg
Seven Pines
Seven Days Battles
- Beaver Dam Creek
- Gaines Mill
- Malvern Hill
South Mountain
Antietam (cornfield)
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Olustee
Seige of Petersburg
-Colquitt's Salient
-Battle of the Crater
Cold Harbor
Weldon Railroad
Fort Harrison
Fort Fisher
Sugar Loaf
Fort Anderson
Wilmington
Kinston
Averysborough
Bentonville

*Some battle have been left out.

Jordon Brooker
03-28-2017, 01:17 PM

4th Great Uncle,
James J Cowart
1st Sgt.
Co. B
Enlisted in Company B, Georgia 27th Infantry Regiment on 10 Sep 1861. Mustered out on 26 Apr 1865 at Greensboro, NC.

Battles:
Yorktown
Williamsburg
Seven Pines
Seven Days Battles
- Beaver Dam Creek
- Gaines Mill
- Malvern Hill
South Mountain
Antietam (cornfield)
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Olustee
Seige of Petersburg
-Colquitt's Salient
-Battle of the Crater
Cold Harbor
Weldon Railroad
Fort Harrison
Fort Fisher
Sugar Loaf
Fort Anderson
Wilmington
Kinston
Averysborough
Bentonville

That's a long list Legion!

Legion
03-28-2017, 03:01 PM
That's a long list Legion!

Ik. It's amazing he survived, and without getting wounded as far as I know.

[WoR] Kiff
03-28-2017, 05:54 PM

Wow, that's really crazy, one of a batch really.

Jordon Brooker
03-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Without a wound! Lucky guy man.

Lance Rawlings
03-28-2017, 09:38 PM

4th Great Uncle,
James J Cowart
1st Sgt.
Co. B

Battles:
Yorktown
Williamsburg
Seven Pines
Seven Days Battles
- Beaver Dam Creek
- Gaines Mill
- Malvern Hill
South Mountain
Antietam (cornfield)
Fredericksburg
Chancellorsville
Olustee
Seige of Petersburg
-Colquitt's Salient
-Battle of the Crater
Cold Harbor
Weldon Railroad
Fort Harrison
Fort Fisher
Sugar Loaf
Fort Anderson
Wilmington
Kinston
Averysborough
Bentonville

Wow that's awesome! Lotta ties to the Tar Heel State with mustering out in Greensboro and Fort Fisher, Wilmington, Kinston, Averasboro, and Bentonville. Did he surrender at Bennett Place to Sherman?

RhettVito
03-28-2017, 11:01 PM
I'm related to Stonewall Jackson Full post here http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?1626-How-I-m-Related-to-Stone-wall-Jackson

Jordon Brooker
03-29-2017, 09:09 AM
I'm related to Stonewall Jackson Full post here http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?1626-How-I-m-Related-to-Stone-wall-Jackson

Great read and that's a really nice discovery!

VOLCUSGAMING
03-29-2017, 09:23 AM

Must be so freaking cool, to be related to Stonewall Jackson.

Legion
03-29-2017, 10:58 AM
I have a confession to make and I'm a bit embarrassed by it.

I was wrong about my ancestor above, he isn't my ancestor as far as I know.

There are three Cowart lines in the US, i have relations with one of those lines but not the one that James J Cowart is from.

The confusion arose because I also have an ancestor named James J Cowart but I failed to realize the middle name is different.

I'm doing more research on the line that I'm from and I will post if I find anything interesting.

Jordon Brooker
03-29-2017, 11:29 AM

There are three Cowart lines in the US, i have relations with one of those lines but not the one that James J Cowart is from.

The confusion arose because I also have an ancestor named James J Cowart but I failed to realize the middle name is different.

I'm doing more research on the line that I'm from and I will post if I find anything interesting.

Family tree's are a hard thing to do, especially with more common names.

Dman979
03-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Family tree's are a hard thing to do, especially with more common names.

Yes, they are. Can you imagine if he had a family member named John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt? That's my name, too, so I know how confusing it can be. ;)
Best,
Dman979

VOLCUSGAMING
03-29-2017, 02:30 PM

There are three Cowart lines in the US, I have relations with one of those lines but not the one that James J Cowart is from.

That's totally fine, These things are hard not to mess up.

Legion
03-29-2017, 02:42 PM
That's totally fine, These things are hard not to mess up.

Yeah, good news is I'm back on track now with the correct line.

I've already found some interesting things.

Samuel Cowart
Cobb's Legion (Calvary)

He enlisted in 1862 and was captured on June 9 1863, He was then paroled and exchanged on June 25 1863. He went back to his unit until the end of the war and surrendered to Sherman on April 26 1865.

Jordon Brooker
03-29-2017, 06:42 PM
Yes, they are. Can you imagine if he had a family member named John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt? That's my name, too, so I know how confusing it can be. ;)
Best,
Dman979

Very unique name indeed ;)

Dman979
03-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Very unique name indeed ;)

Not quite as unique as you might think! Whenever I go out, the people always shout, "there goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt! His name is my name too!"

Best,
Dman979

Legion
03-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Not quite as unique as you might think! Whenever I go out, the people always shout, "there goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt! His name is my name too!"

Best,
Dman979

Bringing back alot of memories form elementary school.

Jordon Brooker
03-29-2017, 11:02 PM

Best,
Dman979

That made me giggle. :o

Locke1740
04-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Thomas Jonathan Jackson is my 2nd cousin 7x removed. And another general, Martin Witherspoon Gary is my 3rd cousin 7x removed, and part of the Lee family of Virginia came down to SC in the 1760-1770s so I'm part that, so all the Lee and Taylor generals are on that list.

My 6x great grandmother was Susanna Jackson, daughter of Thomas Jackson, who was the brother of Edward Jackson who was Thomas J Jackson's grandfather.

1SGT Shannon
05-02-2017, 02:56 PM
2nd cousin 5 times removed of Stonewall Jackson; GGgrandfathers: Paul Hamilton Craps 15th SC Inf, Co. C and George Washington Moseley 32nd GA Inf, Co. G; Great-uncles Davis and James Wesley Craps 15th SC Inf, Co. C, Matthew and William Moseley, 21st Btn, GA Cav, Francis Marion Moseley, 32nd GA Inf, Co. G, Leander Moseley 7th GA Cav, Co. F, Possibly also Great-uncle Clement C. "Red Clem" Moseley (listed as C.B. Moseley) 21st GA Cav Btn & 7th GA Cav.

dmurray6
05-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I see no reason why we shouldn't keep this going. :)

After doing some digging on Ancestry, I found out that I am directly descended from several Confederate soldiers on my father's side. Interestingly enough, they all had a few things in common. They all were from North Carolina, they were all infantrymen, and they all survived the war.
I found out that I am the direct descendant of several Confederate soldiers on my mother's side, as well, and they also had a few things in common; they were all from Tennessee, they were all cavalrymen, and they all were killed in the war - except for one. John Henninger Reagan, the Postmaster General and Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy.

Wesley Duckett, 29th North Carolina Infantry

John Henninger Reagan, Post Master General and Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy

That's cool KernelPop, Your ancestor John H. Reagan appointed my Great Great Grandfather as the Postmaster of his hometown of Monterey, VA. It was because of my Great Great Grandfather's position as a Postmaster that he was not granted his amnesty by Andrew Johnson's May 29th, 1865 Amnesty Proclamation. Because of the status as a CS of A government employee, my Great Great Grandfather had to write a letter to President Johnson requesting his amnesty after the war. My Great Great Grandfather was appointed in January 1864 and wrote his amnesty request letter in July 1865. I have a copy of the hand written letter if you'd ever like to see it. It states that in January 1864 that he was appointed by Confederate States Postmaster General, J. H. Regan (spelling mistake in the letter) as the Postmaster of Monterey. Let me know if you'd like me to send you a copy of the letter.

That's my Great Great Grandfather, Nicholas Alexander Whitelaw, in the bottom center picture of my signature (holding the baby).

dmurray6
05-04-2017, 05:48 PM
That's really cool! If your great great grandfather was imprisoned in Fort Monroe after the war, he would have been there with my ancestor, and also with Jefferson Davis.
I'd be glad to see the letter! Feel free to PM a picture of it to me, or maybe even post it in this thread, if you want.

And Shannon, it must be an honor to be related to Stonewall Jackson. ;)

I don't believe he was ever imprisoned. He enlisted in March '62, and was discharged due to disability by July '62. Did who know's what until his appointment as Post Master in January '64, and then wrote that letter in July '65 with a handful of his neighbors (confirmed by finding the same names on the 1860 and 1870 census as neighbors) signing to vouch for his integrity as a citizen. Kind of ironic seeing they were just part of a rebellion, that his neighbors would consider him a law abiding citizen.

Try clicking here to see the document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwwgbl9nrLVHdE5DUnBlOTBmbmM/view?usp=sharing

acheter
05-10-2017, 09:21 AM
It's amazing he survived, and without getting wounded as far as I know.

Johann Günderson
05-10-2017, 09:49 PM
My two ancestors on my mothers side. Both faught in the 15th Wisconsin "Scandinavian" Infantry Regiment Company D. "Norway Wolf Hunters"
Ole. A. Lee - Joined Febuary 10th, 1862 - died at the battle of Stones River (December 31, 1862)
>The Battle of Island Number Ten
>The Battle of Perryville
>The Battle of Stones River
Halvor A. Lee - Joined January 9th, 1862 - medical discharge 1st, 1863
>The Battle of Island Number Ten
>The Battle of Perryville
>The Battle of Stones River

Locke1740
05-14-2017, 01:09 AM
My 6th Cousin 6x removed is Maj. Gen. Jubal Early, my 5th cousin 5x removed is Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee, my 4th Cousin 8x removed was Lt. Gen. A. P. Hill, and my 3rd cousin 7x Removed was Brig. Gen. Martin W. Gary. Just a few more things I found out!

Frederick
05-31-2017, 07:46 AM
My great-great grandfather William Moses Cox, 44th Georgia infantry regiment (http://www.44thgeorgiacompanyc.com/History.htm), Company F Putnam Volunteers, Dole's brigade, Army of Northern Virginia.

He fought from 1862-1865, made it to the rank of Captain near the end of the war, was shot several times, sent to Petersburg, Virginia Hospital, killed a great many yankees and was exchanged as a prisoner once, before taking up arms with the Confederacy again.

At the end of the war, he surrendered with Robert E. Lee at appomattox courthouse, Virginia and walked all the way back to his home in Georgia.

He was also there when the famed Stonewall Jackson was shot. He was also there when he died.

CBaker
06-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Okay, I have a quite large civil war history in my family.

CSA:

J.C. Hamilton, 2nd Florida Infantry (Brother of private I.A Hamilton, ironically given the subject matter of this game, killed at Sharpsburg, 20 September '62)
Private I.A. Hamilton, 2nd Florida Cavalry (Direct relative, a multiple times great grandfather)

I know I had a relative with the surname 'Storey' also in the CSA, who's granddaughter would marry the grandson of I.A Hamilton. As well, I had relatives who fought for the CSA in Georgia, North Carolina, and Kentucky regiments, though I do not know their names or units at this time (and will try to update this later).

On the Union side, the only relative I know of was Major General Francis Preston Blair Jr., who would be a cousin.

Kane Kaizer
06-05-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm proud to say that I do know that I had a great-great-great grandfather named Wilson Turney in the 51st Ohio Infantry Regiment during Sherman's Atlanta campaign as well as the battles of Franklin and Nashville. I didn't even know about him until roughly 6 months ago and I don't know very much about him at all, unfortunately, and my family tree records are pretty incomplete to say the least so I don't know if there are any others but there very well could be. I was always curious though because I knew that my grandmother was born in Arkansas, so I thought for a while that there was a possibility that I had southern ancestry and possibly even some who fought for the Confederacy, but so far there are none that I'm aware of.

Extracrispi
06-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Reverend Thomas Michael Blackwell, Chaplain for the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Thomas' oldest son who also served in the regiment if memory serves was mortally wounded at Gettysburg during the final assault on Cemetery Ridge and died on July 6th. I am descended from his younger son, Richard Yeadon Blackwell, who ran away from home and joined up with the Partisan Rangers.

I donated as Brigadier General to get the 11th MS unit in his honor.

dmurray6
06-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Reverend Thomas Michael Blackwell, Chaplain for the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment.

I donated as Brigadier General to get the 11th MS unit in his honor.

Very Cool! I guess I'm the only guy around who's family were made up of nothing but privates, and once corporals turned privates! :) HAHAHA

Extracrispi
06-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Very Cool! I guess I'm the only guy around who's family were made up of nothing but privates, and once corporals turned privates! :) HAHAHA

Yeah, my family traditionally serve in the military as mid-ranking officers (although at least one made it to Brigadier General during Korea because the officer above him was killed in a car accident).

Thomas' oldest son served in the same regiment if memory serves. He was mortally wounded during Pickett's Charge and died around July 6th. I'm descended from his youngest son, Richard Yeadon Blackwell who was too young to join the regular Army (he was not even 10 when the war broke out) so he ran away from home and fell in with the Partisan Rangers.

John Cooley
06-15-2017, 09:43 PM
So far have only found one but apparently he was quite dedicated. heh
Isaac McDonal Cooley was an NCO Pathfinder/Cav Scout in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K and was captured.
Forced to swear an Oath to not return to the Cavalry ... he then enlisted as a PVT in an Artillery unit.
(We are still trying to find records showing which exact one since word of mouth stories conflict)
He was captured again and they knew better than to let him return home so he spent the remainder of the war in a POW Camp.
Appears Tenacity runs deep in the family. /grin

2nd LT Chris Rose.
06-18-2017, 10:15 PM
My great great Grandfather fought in the 54th North Carolina infantry. He was 4th Corporal in Co E. (Highland guards) his engagements include Fredricksburg, Chansellorsville, retreat from Gettysburg, in November 1863 he was taken prisoner and imprisoned at point lookout MD, then was exchanged and he was finally wounded at Cold harbor (fractured left leg). 6464

dmurray6
06-19-2017, 12:17 AM
My great great Grandfather fought in the 54th North Carolina infantry. He was 4th Corporal in Co E. (Highland guards) his engagements include Fredricksburg, Chansellorsville, retreat from Gettysburg, in November 1863 he was taken prisoner and imprisoned at point lookout MD, then was exchanged and he was finally wounded at Cold harbor (fractured left leg). 6464

Very cool. There is a nice monument (on private property i might add, so they wont be trying to pull none of that New Orleans bullshit with this monument) outside of Pt. Lookout. If I can find a pic i took i will post it. Its dedicated to all CSA prisoners who either died at or survived Pt. Lookout.

PAIOLETTI
06-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Giuseppe Paioletti......Captain of the 6th Louisiana "Italian Guards" (Great Great Uncle)
https://www.fold3.com/document/69350810/

Hatchmo
06-21-2017, 02:09 PM
So I have a few ancestors, a lot of which I've just recently discovered because they haven't as obvious of a connection. I do have photos of some but I'm just going to post names and what information I have. Some of these are a little more well known and don't need a great deal of information. I'm only going to note the relationships to my direct ancestors, everyone else I will not get in to.

Harrison Haynes, Co. F 1st South Carolina Cavalry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He fought under Gen. Wade Hampton and was at Gettysburg just to name one battle.

Harper Haynes, Co. A 6th South Carolina Cavalry

Jopseh Martin, Co. A 17th South Carolina Infantry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He was wounded at the Battle of 2nd Manassas. When he recovered, he was assigned as regimental quartermaster.

William G. Hatcher, Co. G 21st Georgia Infantry - He was killed at the Battle of 2nd Manassas.

John A. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

John J. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

D. Wesley Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

James L. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

Captain James M. Cathey, Co F 25st North Carolina Infantry - He was killed at The Crater.

General Nathan Bedford Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Major William H. Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest 6th Mississippi Battalion State Troops

Cpt./Col. Jeffrey Forrest Co. C Forrest's Cavalry / 8th Tennessee Cavalry - Killed at the Battle of Okalona

Cpt./Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest Co. D Forrest's Cavalry / 20th Tennessee CSA Regiment

dmurray6
06-21-2017, 04:34 PM
So I have a few ancestors, a lot of which I've just recently discovered because they haven't as obvious of a connection. I do have photos of some but I'm just going to post names and what information I have. Some of these are a little more well known and don't need a great deal of information. I'm only going to note the relationships to my direct ancestors, everyone else I will not get in to.

Harrison Haynes, Co. F 1st South Carolina Cavalry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He fought under Gen. Wade Hampton and was at Gettysburg just to name one battle.

Jopseh Martin, Co. A 17th South Carolina Infantry - He was my Great Great Great Grandfather. He was wounded at the Battle of 2nd Manassas. When he recovered, he was assigned as regimental quartermaster.

William G. Hatcher, Co. G 21st Georgia Infantry - He was killed at the Battle of 2nd Manassas.

John A. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

John J. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

D. Wesley Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

James L. Hatcher, Co. D 2nd South Carolina Rifles

Captain James M. Cathey, Co F 25st North Carolina Infantry - He was killed at The Crater.

General Nathan Bedford Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Major William H. Forrest - Forrest's Cavalry

Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest 6th Mississippi Battalion State Troops

Cpt./Col. Jeffrey Forrest Co. C Forrest's Cavalry / 8th Tennessee Cavalry - Killed at the Battle of Okalona

Cpt./Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest Co. D Forrest's Cavalry / 20th Tennessee CSA Regiment

Pretty impressive list Hatchmo! Amazing how it looks like whole families took part, so long as the men were of age. I've yet to expand all my family lines through the Civil War period, still trying though. Nice work!

Hatchmo
06-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Pretty impressive list Hatchmo! Amazing how it looks like whole families took part, so long as the men were of age. I've yet to expand all my family lines through the Civil War period, still trying though. Nice work!

You're right, it was definitely a family ordeal, especially for the South.

Speaking of which, I found another member going off a thought after what you said.

Harper Haynes Co. A 6th SC Cavalry (Brother to Harrison Haynes my GGG Grandfather)

Locke1740
06-23-2017, 11:16 PM
You're right, it was definitely a family ordeal, especially for the South.

Speaking of which, I found another member going off a thought after what you said.

Harper Haynes Co. A 6th SC Cavalry (Brother to Harrison Haynes my GGG Grandfather)

I wonder who helped you with that :)!

Hatchmo
06-24-2017, 01:57 PM
I wonder who helped you with that :)!

Thank you my friend! :)

DaMonkey
06-24-2017, 02:08 PM
I myself have a metric arseload of ancestors who took part in the Civil War, mostly because it seemed that all the branches of my family had a real knack for breeding like rabbits. Have a google document with a lot listed down with their unit and ranks, but I'm not going to bore anyone with such nonsense. There are some pretty "prominent" ones that may interest people, though.

Going first with my highest-ranked ancestor (of my paternal grandmother's family): Major General Israel B. Richardson (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/IBRichardson.jpg) - commander of 1st Division, II Corps at Antietam (where he suffered a mortal wound).

When it comes to my various family branches, I take the most interest in my mother's line (the Hunt family). At the time of the Civil War, the Hunts were generally concentrated into three clusters - one in Kentucky, one in Nortern Indiana & Michigan, and and the third broadly spread throughout New England. Brevet Major General Henry J. Hunt (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/HJHunt.jpg) was of the second cluster. The first of these clusters, the Kentucky one, is of the most interest to me because of how roughly half served in Union Kentucky units and the other half in Confederate Kentucky units. Firstly, we have Lieutenant Colonel Philemon B. Hunt (http://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt780g3gxt82/data/1/1_p/1997AV30_01/1997AV30_01.jpg) who was in the 4th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (US); and secondly (of all the individual ancestors, I find this man of the most interest) Colonel Thomas Hart Hunt (http://i.imgur.com/FYMN2IW.png), who commanded the 9th Kentucky Infantry Regiment (CSA) and, for a time, acted as the Orphan Brigade's Commander after the previous one had died. Colonel Hunt was the uncle of the famous John Hunt Morgan (his middle name obviously being drawn from Thomas' surname), and was often referred to by Morgan and his Staff as "Uncle Tom"; Colonel Hunt was seriously wounded at Shiloh (if I remember correctly) and resigned in 1863 because of family trouble, some months after his resignation he respectfully declined a offered commission as Brigadier General.

My direct paternal family line is littered with Civil War ancestors, but with the exception of a few Captains and Lieutenants, were all privates - so there's nothing much of interest to put down. That being said, I did have multiple take part in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg (24th and 56th Virginia); I recall one being captured in the charge, I do not know of the fates of the others.

2nd LT Chris Rose.
07-02-2017, 05:25 AM
Very cool. There is a nice monument (on private property i might add, so they wont be trying to pull none of that New Orleans bullshit with this monument) outside of Pt. Lookout. If I can find a pic i took i will post it. Its dedicated to all CSA prisoners who either died at or survived Pt. Lookout.

Wow I didn't know that! thanks man.

HopSin
07-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Brigadier General Henry Hopkins Sibley. He didn't take part in any of the major battles all his accomplishments and fails were in west Texas.6552

Gator
07-25-2017, 12:58 AM
My most closely related are in my signature. But if you go to the records search and Search the last name "Peyton" in the state of Virginia there is 4 pages of people who were related to me. A lot of them Majors, Colonels, and Captains.

Some have interesting stories. Major Charles S Peyton had his arm shot off in an earlier battle and led his men of Garnett's Brigade, 19th Virginia infantry, into Pickett's charge in Gettysburg. All with 1 arm. He was the only officer not killed or wounded and made the post battle report which is on official records.

My only Union ancestor and 3x Great Grandfather Private William Hughes immigrated from County Mayo, Ireland and joined the 7th Wisconsin volunteer infantry. He was shot in the leg in the battle of the Wilderness and when he went to the medical tent, he saw the piles of limbs from amputees and didn't want to suffer the same fate, so he used tobacco on his wound to seal his blood vessels and stop bleeding and saved his own leg. He eventually lived to be 107 years old.

The only one I have a picture of, my other 3x Great Grandfather, John Daniel Belcher, was in the E company of the 13th Georgia Infantry. Was captured and made a POW at Gettysburg. Surrendered at Appomattox courthouse. Married Sarah C Lee who was rumored to be the 1st cousin of Robert E Lee but I haven't confirmed it. heres old John D himself

Saris
10-09-2017, 12:52 AM
26th Louisiana Infantry Co. A, Pvt Desire Jean Broussard (3rd Great Grandfather) fought at Vicksburg and became a POW after
18th Illinois Infantry Co. G, Pvt Martin Van Buren Allison (3rd Great Grandfather) Discharged, Sep 24, 1862; disability.
111th Pennsylvania Infantry Co. G, Pvt George Washington Brooks (3rd Great Grandfather) fought from Cedar Mountain to Bentonville.
24th Tennessee Infantry Co. I, Sgt S. G. Hendrix (3rd Great Grandfather)
43rd Alabama Infantry Co. E, Pvt Joseph R. Byrd (3rd Great Grandfather) fought at Chickamauga and then sent to reinforce Longstreet.

I'll will add more once I find more ancestors.

Gator
10-09-2017, 02:22 AM
26th Louisiana Infantry Co A, Pvt Desire Jean Broussard (3rd Great Grandfather) fought at Vicksburg and became a POW after

With a name like Broussard, he has to be Cajun

Saris
10-09-2017, 02:27 AM
With a name like Broussard, he has to be Cajun

aye, he was from Lafayette, Louisiana

dmurray6
03-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Brevet Major General Henry J. Hunt (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/HJHunt.jpg) was of the second cluster.

A.P., didn't you say you were an ancestor of H.J. Hunt in some way? I recall you mentioning something about being an ancestor of two prominent Artillery Generals, one from each side. This would be your Northern man, no?

Childish Gambino
03-23-2018, 02:07 AM
Major General John Pope (Union):

Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon (Union):

And, finally, believe it or not- (Brevet) Major General George A. Custer (Union):

DeoVindice1861
03-28-2018, 06:00 AM
Direct Descendant of 7 Confederate Veterans

Private Angus Skipper, 8th Alabama (Fredericksburg, Salem Church) - GSW to the head left him on guard duty back in Alabama until end of war.
Private James F. Dean, 37th Alabama (Iuka, Corinth II, Hatchie Bridge, Vicksburg, Lookout Mtn, Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Adairsville, New Hope Church, Pickett's Mill, Mt Zion Church, Kennesaw Mtn, Peachtree Creek, Atlanta, Ezra Church, Utoy, Bentonville) He was wounded few times but record says he was present until end of war.
Private John Proctor Dean, 39th Alabama (Mursfreesboro, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Bentonville)
Private Jesse Bryant Dean, 39th Alabama (Mursfreesboro, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Bentonville)
Private Ambrose Dean, 53rd Alabama Partisan Ranger (Multiple Raids against Sherman Troops after Atlanta)
Private James Rowell Dean, 53rd Alabama Partisan Ranger (Laid down arms at Columbia)
Private Moses Aaron Dean, 1st Alabama (Records and such are barely pieced together for this one, i am not 100% on this one.)

And 7 more veterans by marriage. My family yonder in the yallerhammer state is pretty huge.

pernicious_albion
04-09-2018, 03:28 PM
I've a handful on both sides.

J. Welsh, G Co'y. 57th Pennsylvania Emergency Volunteers (enlisted at 57, reserve unit at Gettysburg, mustered out shortly after)
R Welsh, I Co'y. 62nd Pennsylvania Regt. (Son of above, KIA Dec. 12 1862 at Fredericksburg)
J. Patton, G Co'y. 140th Pennsylvania Volunteers
E. Bailey, 29th(?) Virginia Infantry (KIA between 1863 and 1865, records spotty)
I. Justice, H Co'y. 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry (Union)

There are a few more on my mother's side from WV and VA, including one who allegedly switched sides from Confederacy to Union due to conflict with the Home Guard, but records are scant and in some cases exist solely through oral tradition.

txmustang65
04-10-2018, 02:23 AM
What are the best free sources for finding out what rank your ancestor was? I did find that my great, great, great grandmother filed for Civil War Widow's Pension. Can't find any other specifics on her husband.

McMuffin
04-10-2018, 02:24 AM
National Parks Service, Civil War Soldiers

txmustang65
04-10-2018, 02:37 AM
What do you do when there are several with the same name? How do you tell if it's really your ancestor?

McMuffin
04-10-2018, 03:09 AM
Narrow it down based on region, look for potential misspellings. Here's what I do:

I take the names, narrow them down by state first.

Next, I take the names I have left and search up regiments and try to narrow down which companies were mustered where (usually counties) or where the regiment was mustered.

I compare the names and the list and where I knew the ancestor lived and it's a pretty good chance that is the person.

Kyle422
04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Thread moved, Will be posting about my civil war ancestors and lets just say I have about a whole damn books worth of info on my ancestors. I have many that served my Fathers side served for the union my mothers side fought for the Confederates

Alexander Sloan Townes
04-10-2018, 02:38 PM
I have several also. All of my ancestors that I know that were in the Civil War all fought for the Confederacy.
A.S. Townes - Hampton Legion Com. F
P. A. Porter - Hampton Legion Com. I
James E. Gadd - 26th NC
William Gadd (Jame's father) - 28th NC Com. K
Green Berry Upchurch - 33rd NC Company D
Samuel Rowland Wood - 4th SC Infantry
William Forrester - ?unknown Georgia Unit?

Johnny_Reb_1865
04-11-2018, 02:59 AM
My Confederate Ancestors

My Great Great 1st Cousin

Private James W. West Company E 26th Virginia Infantry Regiment.

Born in February 1847 KIA September 11th 1864 he was 18 years old.

James W West 26th Virginia Infantry Regt. Co.E

Enlisted Jan 20th 1864, Gloucester Co Va (17 years old)

("Enlisted by his brother Benjamin West while on furlough in Gloucester")

Occupation: Waterman, 5'1", Fair complexion, Light Hair, Grey Eyes

".....Has orders from Dept HQtrs been obeyed?

Has the written consent of this mans parent or legal guardian been obtained?

(signed) By commd of Brig Gen Wise, J. H. Pearce AAG...."

Letter Reply;

".....This mans father can not write. He was enlisted by his brother while on furlough in Gloucester with the verbal
consent of his father. He will be eighteen years old next month, being so near eighteen and brought by his
brother from Gloucester Co, who I am sure would not bring him without the consent of his father. That I did not think it necessary to get the written consent of his father who can not write.

(Signed) Capt Perrin, Co.E 26th Va...."

Hospital: Receiving & Wayside #9, Richmond June 19th 1864 - June 20 1864 (transferred )

Hospital: Chimborazo #3, Richmond. June 22 - Jul 19 1864 (Intermittent Fever)

Here's the military record of Jame's brother Benjamin.

Benjamin F. West, Private, Company A (Lt. Landon M. Davie’s Co.), 21st Regiment Virginia Militia, enlisted October 19, 1861 at Turtle Neck, company A was located at Gloucester Pt. December 31st 1861.

Recorded on February 28, 1862 as absent, detailed on vessel on York River to Q. M. Dept., Yorktown November 7th 1862.

(No further records)

Note: He was not recorded on the subsequent May 14, 1862 muster roll

The 21st Regiment Virginia Militia was called into service by proclamation of the Governor of Virginia on July 13th 1861, and was mustered into service October 19, 1861, by Colonel Crump. It was disbanded May 15, 1862, by order of Maj. General D. H. Hill, and the men distributed to other regiments.

Benjamin West, Private, John T. Perrin’s Company (E), 26th Regiment Virginia Infantry, enlisted March 8, 1862 at Gloucester Virginia.
by John T. Perrin for the war, from Gloucester Militia, detailed to Guard Duty December 19, 1863 January 24, furloughed from Hospital in Lake City, Fla., March 26, 1864 for 60 days, admitted Chimborazo Hospita, Richmond, September 7, 1864, Fever remit, furloughed for 40 days September 22, recorded on October 31 as absent, on sick furlough to go to Gloucester Co., absent December 31 in Richmond hospital, next reported February 1865 as sick furlough.

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 3/8/1862 at Gloucester Point, VA as a Private.
On 3/8/1862 he mustered into "E" Co. VA 26th Infantry

Here is what is in Ben's military record:
March 1, 1862, presence not stated
reenlisted March 8, 1862 at Gloucester City,
August 31, 1862, present
October 31, 1862, present
December 31, 1862, present
February 28, 1863, present
April 30, 1863, present
June 30, 1863, present
August 31, 1863, present
October 31, 1863, absent, sick in hospital in Charleston, SC
December 19, 1863 assigned Guard Duty no time period noted
December 31, 1863, present
January 2, 1864 reported to have been on leave, no time period noted
January 24, 1864 assigned Guard Duty no time period noted
February 3, 1864 reported to have been on leave, no time period noted
March 16, 1864, furloughed from Lake City, Fla. Hospital for 60 days
April 27, 1864, Receipted for an issue of clothing
April 30, 1864, absent, on furlough
May 16, 1864 Furlough expired no indication of his whereabouts
July 30, 1864, Petersburg Mine explosion
August 31, 1864, present [Apr. 30 to Aug. 31]
Admitted Chimborazo Hospital September 7, 1864, Fever Remit
September 22, Furloughed for 40 days
——— sick & furloughed to go to Gloucster Co.
October 31,1864, absent on sick furlough
November 1, 1864, furlough expires no indication of his whereabouts
December 31, 1864, absent, sick in Richmond hospital
February 28, 1865 Absent without leave
No further records

Private John T. Brown Company A 15th North Carolina Infantry Regiment. (4X great uncle)

Enlisted on July 15th 1862 at Wake County, NC as a Private.
On the same day he mustered into Company "A" 15th North Carolina Infantry Regiment.

On December 13th 1862 he was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia in the chest.

On Christmas 1862 he died of his wound at the hospital in Richmond, Virginia.

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:
- North Carolina Troops 1861-65, A Roster

Private Joshua B. Brown 32nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment Companies C and D.

Death notice from The Roanoke-Chowan Times, Thursday, November 20. 1902, page 2:

"...Our community last Friday suffered the loss by death of two of our oldest citizens, Mr. Joshua B. Brown and Mrs. S. D. Cook. Mr. Brown was buried Saturday afternoon with Masonic honors and Mrs. Cook Sunday morning, Rev. E. E. Rose, their pastor, conducting the funeral services. Mr. Brown had a stroke of paralysis about five years ago."

Private Jeremiah Brown Company "A" 15th North Carolina Infantry Regiment

Enlisted on 7/15/1862 at Wake County, NC as a Private.
On 7/15/1862 he mustered into "A" Co. NC 15th Infantry
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:

* AWOL 12/27/1863 (place not stated) (Thru 04/30/64. No further records)

Sent to hospital Culpepper C. H., Va. November 8, 1863, granted 30 days furlough November 27, absent without leave from December 27, 1863, last recorded absent, deserted, on Jan/Feb 1864 muster roll, no further information

Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of North Carolin
He fought in the battles of Sharpsburg (September 17th 1862) and Fredricksburg (December 11th-15th 1862)

VuduVince
05-07-2018, 04:29 AM
My two ancestors

Culbertson, Washington Lafayette,Pvt. Co. D. 19th La. Infty. En. Dec. 11th,
1861, Camp Moore, La. Present on all Rolls to Aug., 1863. Roll for Sept. and
Oct., 1863, Absent. Wounded Chickamauga, Sept. 20th. Hospl. Atlanta. Present
on Rolls from Nov., 1863, to Feb. 28th, 1865. Roll for March and April, 1865,
Absent at Hospl., order Surgeon Philson. Paroled at Meridian, Miss., May 16th,
1865. Res. Claiborne Par., La

and his brother

Culbertson, William Patton (also Culbertson, W. B.),Pvt. Cos. D. and B. 19th
La. Infty. En. Dec. 11th, 1861, Camp Moore, La. Present on all Rolls to Aug.
31st, 1864. Captured at Nashville, Tenn. Recd. at Military Prison, Louisville,
Ky., Dec. 21st, 1864. Transfd. to Camp Douglas, Ill., Dec. 24th, 1864.
Discharged at Camp Douglas, Ill., June 18th, 1865, as per G. O. No. 109, A. G.
O.

Pootis
06-28-2018, 11:41 PM
My Great-Great-Great grandfather, Daniel W. Graham was a Private for a little over two years of the war- enlisted at Floral College, NC, and mustered out just after the battle at Fredricksburg as he volunteered, and was too old to qualify to be re-drafted. He said he was 37 in 1861, but in fact he was 40 when he joined G company of the 14th North Carolina Volunteers, later re-designated the 24th.

The first action his regiment saw was at white oak swamp, but only E. company engaged the enemy as skirmishers. The first REAL action was at the last battle of the seven days- at Malvern Hill.

While his regiment was encamping along the James River, he was biouvaced to Williamsburg's Episcopal Church Hospital, where he was noted as having "Intestinal Fever" or Typhoid Fever. He was back in service by August 23rd.
When the Maryland Campaign commenced, his regiment siezed Loudon Heights at Harper's Ferry and guarded the artillery that pounded the union army there into submission

Sharpsburg was the main fight his regiment engaged in. They started the battle picqueting on the right, but as the battle materialized at the cornfield, Ransom's brigade was doubled over to that side, just in time for the Union advance into the West Woods, where my grandfather's regiment engaged on the extreme flank alongside McLaw's division on the brigade's extreme left. They aided in the repulsing of the union advance, and eventually carried on against a fresh advance in a bayonet charge, then being taken by General Stuart to occupy a position, as Ransom's report puts it, "on the extreme left," I can assume meaning Nicodemus Hill. It then soon came under intense artillery bombardment and was compelled to return to the brigade, aided in finding it by Ransom himself, who had gone to look for the lost regiment. The brigade saw no further action that day.

Between his mustering out at the end of 1862 and the end of the Maryland Campaign, he also complained of Rheumatism- likely Rheumatoid Arthritis.
His regiment was present at Fredricksburg, and was placed at the very left flank of Marye's Heights' famous stone wall.

And that was his service. Fairly brief, but I'm amazed they let a fairly old man like him fight. Only wish I knew what his regimental uniform would have looked like, or what weapon the 24th was issued with.

Lightfoot
07-03-2018, 06:05 PM
My Great Grandfather, James W. Whitehead, joined the Chatham Grays of Pittsylvania County in 1860. The company was assigned as Company B, Montague's Battalion, 53rd Virginia regiment. The smartest thing he did was later marry the Regiment's Colonel's daughter which makes Dr. Rawley W. Martin also my Great Great Grandfather if I cam keeping my count right. Plus about a half dozen other relatives since they all came from the Pittsylvania County area.

When the 53rd was incorporated into the Confederate army Company B, Chatham Grays, became company I. It went on to fight at Seven Pines and the Seven Days battles that followed. At that time the 53rd became part of Armistead's brigade and had a really bad day at Malvern Hill. From there they went on to fight in all the major battles of the ANV in 1862. In November of that year Armistead was transferred to Pickett's Division which was detached in 1863.

Pickett rejoined the ANV for the Gettysburg campaign and started Armistead and the 53rd Virginia on a march into history. James Whitehead was now a Lieutenant commanding Company I and Rawley W. Martin was a Lieutenant Colonel commanding the 53rd Virginia after its Colonel, W. Aylett, was wounded in the shelling of Pickett's division as it formed up in the woods for the charge on the third day.

The 53rd Virginia formed the center of Pickett's division for the charge. Company I was the color company. The colors of the 53rd advanced the farthest and were captured near where Armistead fell. Lt. Whitehead later wrote that "after getting within about 40 yards of the stone fence there came an order all along the line to charge, and we did charge,"

Sergeant Jones, one of the color corporals and also a relative, fell with the colors at the stone wall. Lt Carter snatched them up and bore them over the wall and up to the captured artillery where were standing Gen. Armistead and Lt. Colonel Martin and some men from Co. I. But not Lt. Whitehead, he was wounded near the Stone wall where "I lay on the battlefield two nights and a day before my captors removed me". Like wise Lt. Colonel Martin was wounded near Gen. Armistead.

Martin is often quoted when looking for descriptions of Armistead fall since he wrote in a letter in 1908 describing the scene and supposedly Armistead's visit by Hancock.

Both Martin and Whitehead ended up in prison for the rest of the war.

The 53rd managed to exist until surrender at Appomattox.

C. Moser
07-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Sadly, the 3 or 4 soldiers (I forget how many I was younger when I was told about them) I am related to that served in the war are unknown to me. I do not know their names nor do I know what they did during the war. I just remember when I was younger my Grandmother told me that they were buried a county over from us, and that I was related to soldiers that fought for the North and the South. These relatives were enemies and buried in the same graveyard. I wish I knew who they were and their stories, I may try to look into it one day. But, if I was to guess they were just common soldiers, nobody important just the ones who fought as rankers. Since I am from Kentucky, I guess the whole "brother vs brother" thing was real.

REDVoodoo3
07-04-2018, 06:30 PM
My Great - Great - Uncle

CPL. Peter "Singing Pete" Aubrey

Battle Unit Name:
2nd Regiment, Massachusetts Heavy Artillery Vols.

Corporal, Co. G. Born in Canada. Married 15 Jan 1853 to Priscilla M. Bousquet. First enlisted 23 Oct 61 in Co. B, 98th NY Infantry. Discharged 15 Oct 62 as Corporal. Enlisted 19 Oct 63 in the 2nd MA H. A. as a Private at age 28, a Blacksmith from Springfield, Hampden Co., MA. Captured 20 April 64 at Plymouth, NC. Captive at Andersonville, GA. Chief of Police while at Andersonville, GA. Exchanged. Mustered out 8 June 65.

January 3, 1866

Late a corporal in Co. G, 2nd Regt. Mass. H. Art. who was discharged from the service of the U. States at Beaufort NC on June 8, 1865 is an applicant for an invalid pension by reason of an alleged disability resulting from an injury of the right arm and hand caused by a blow from a gun struck by a rebel while the said Peter Aubrey was attempting to make his escape from prison at Florence SC. The said blow produced a fracture of the metacarpal bone of the index finger and caused an inflammation of the hand. There is contraction of the extensor muscles of the injured hand which prevents the complete closure of the hand. Disability permanent and � of a total disability. Certificate made and sent. Fee $1.50. Exam. not ordered.

July 9, 1866

Peter Aubrey was re-examined today. Certificate made and sent.

Cpl. Peter Aubrey
Birthdate: August 27, 1832 (64)
Birthplace: Rouses Point, Clinton, New York, United States
Death: January 29, 1897 (64)
Florence, Hampshire, Massachusetts, United States (Gangrene from injuries contracted during Civil War)
Place of Burial: Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Francis Xavier Aubrey and Genevieve Louise Aubrey (Labelle)
Husband of Priscilla Marceline Aubrey
Father of Priscilla Marcelline Burrill (Aubrey); Rosalie Aubrey; Malvina Parker; Peter J Aubrey; Adelina S Reyor and 5 others
Brother of Elias Augustin Aubrey; Francis Xavier Aubrey; David Aubrey; Sophie Briere; Thomas Aubrey and 3 others
Occupation: farmer, Farmer 14 Jun 1870 Burke, Franklin, New York, Steam pipe worker 14 Jun 1880 Holyoke, Hampden, Massachusetts, Steam pipe worker 1887 Holyoke
Managed by: Donna Anderson Collins-Yamini
Last Updated: May 9, 2018

*As I dug deeper, I realized that his brother Thomas Aubrey is my Grandmother's father. So that makes him my Great Great Uncle.*

MudDuck
07-13-2018, 08:17 PM
As far as I am aware, I had two ancestors who fought in the Civil War.
Morris O'Connell of the NY 126th Inf.
Also related to Brevet Major General Romeyn B. Ayres, 2nd Div, 5th Corps.

similarly
07-15-2018, 12:40 AM
My great-great grandfather:
Blanton E. (Ezekiel) (Rev.) Pvt.
Co. K 10th Mo. Inf. (McBrides Brigade)
Enlisted Aug. 12 1862-1865
Place of Enlistment: Thomasville, MO.
Paroled: 1865
DOB: Nov. 17, 1832, Bledsoe Co.
DOD: Oct. 13, 1927
(source, United Daughters of the Confederacy)

"In 1862 a northern bullet struck him in the jaw and came out "at the edge of his hair on the back of his neck". He recovered and went back into action several weeks later."
(source: a newspaper article, bibliography unknown, supplied by another descendant of Ezekiel Blanton)

"His pronounced Southern Sympathies caused a Federal Squad of soldiers to be sent for his arrest, but a friend notified him, and he left his plow in the field, mounted his mule, and made his escape. He went to Oregon County and joined Company K, 10th Missouri Regiment, McBride’s Brigade, and participated in the battles of Wilson Creek, Lexington, Pea Ridge, Helena, and others. In 1863, he was sent to Maries County on recruiting duty, but met a party of the enemy and was wounded and captured. He was held prisoner in Rolla, MO., eight days and then exchanged. He was paroled in 1865."
from a magazine called "The Confederate Veteran."

Merc
07-21-2018, 10:36 AM
My family has a very well preserved and detailed account of the Civil War.

The last name was Lewis, and they were based in Woodville, Mississippi in Wilkinson County. The father, John South Lewis (1780-1848), was a Colonel in the United States Army, who served in the war of 1812. He settled in Woodville following his retirement from the military and took up planting. He married and had a single daughter. His daughter passed away in 1829 at the age of 10, and his wife passed away in 1833 at the age of 50. He remarried in 1836. I have his original, hand painted portrait following his retirement, as well as one of his second wife, Eunice (1812-1906). They are currently hanging in my living room. Here are some badly digitized photographs. We attempted to have the painting of John restored, but the artist we took the painting to did a horrible job and basically desecrated the painting. You can see the shadowing damage on his shoulder and collar. Needless to say, the artist did not get paid for his work.

9113 9114

Anyways, like I said the family settled in Woodville where he and his wife Eunice bore multiple children, 4 sons and 3 daughters. Unfortunately, two of the daughters passed away due to fever, both before reaching a year old. We know very little about the daughter who survived. The sons, on the other hand, we know quite a bit about. Their names from oldest to youngest were as follows:
John South Lewis (1837-1900), informally went by "Bud" to discern himself from his father who had the same name.
William Henry Harrison Lewis (1842-1863), who primarily went by "Harry" to discern himself from his uncle whom he shared a name with.
Fletcher Drake Lewis (1844-1923), who went by the nickname "Fletch." He is my direct great-great-great-grandfather.
Edward Higgins Lewis (1846-1913), however little is known first hand about this brother.

They all lived and worked on the plantation house, which is now called "Oaklawn." The link below has some more detailed history about the property and what it's like today.
http://www.sturgeonandsturgeon.com/oaklawn.php?sn=lujne5lj9g07A21
We decided to sell the house to a lawyer who wanted to restore the house to what it would have looked like while my family lived in it. Sadly, a fire damaged the property severely, but my family and I like to joke that it is the spirits of our slave-owning family seeking revenge for selling the house to this lawyer, who happened to be an African American gentleman. Upon selling the house, much of the original furniture was distributed throughout the family. I was given the only piece I wanted, a wooden secretary with glass display paneling for china. I use it to display many of the artifacts that I was able to get my hands on from my family, including Fletcher's musket bayonet.

The Lewis family owned 43 slaves in 1840 according to the 1840 United States Federal Census, and as a general rule, the family was pretty well off, like most planters at that time. John South Lewis Sr passed away in 1848, leaving the house in the hands of his widowed wide and 4 sons. John South Lewis Jr joined the United States Army and became a Third Lieutenant, we think because of his father's high rank in the (at the time he served) very small American formal military. Flash forward to the beginning of the Civil War. John, Harry, and Fletch all join the Army of the Confederate States of America. All three brothers would enlist under K Company of the 16th Mississippi Infantry under Longstreet's Division. This company was informally known as "Wilkinson's Rifles," named after the county it was founded in. John would enter as a Third Lieutenant, the same rank he held in the United States Army but made his way to the rank of Captain following the promotion of Abram Feltus to Major. Both Fletch and Harry would enter as Privates, however Harry would later work his way up the ranks until being promoted to his brother's old position of Third Lieutenant by popular vote, which he won against another man in his regiment 44 to 16. Below is a link that details the Regiment's involvement in the war.
http://civilwarintheeast.com/confederate-regiments/mississippi/16th-mississippi-infantry-regiment/

The brothers took part in many important engagements during the war, as they stayed with the Company for nearly the entirety of the war, getting occasional leave to return to Mississippi. Sadly, Harry would be shot and killed in fighting outside of Richmond on June 9th, 1863. The other two brothers would live through the war. We have photographs of both John and Fletcher, however since Harry died so young, no photographs or painting were ever made in his image. John is the man on the left and Fletcher is on the right. Both of these photographs were taken many years after the end of the war.

9115 9116

Here is another photo of the plantation house taken in 1908. Fletcher can be seen sitting in the chair second from the left.

The brothers' uniforms, firearms, and other war memorabilia were all saved and discovered later in the attic of the plantation house in the late 80s. They were all donated to various museums on "indefinite loans."
The only reason we know so much about the family and their experiences during the wars is due to the seemingly endless correspondence between the brothers, particularly Harry, and their mother. The letters are incredibly in depth, and paint Harry as a very pious individual, and all three brothers as incredibly inspired by the fight for their rights as Confederates. Much of the correspondence from Eunice has been lost, mainly due to the fact that it was delivered in the field wherever the brothers were fighting, however almost all of the letters sent to Woodville were saved, and are actually viewable if you have access to a University library system. They are located in Chapel Hill under "Harry Lewis Letters, 1861-63." They are only available on microfilm, however, despite the microfilm itself being property of the university, as a direct descendant I was allowed to digitize all of the letters and save copies for my own personal records.

If anybody has any questions or wants to know more, please feel free to let me know! I love talking to people about my family's history, and I have done quite a bit of research on the matter.

Merc
07-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Hi rbsmith7.

Yes actually! There is a great book that summarizes the war using letters specifically from the 16th Mississippi. I can provide a link down below. We provided transcribed versions of some letters to the publication and they are viewable multiple times through the book. Most of them are written by Harry. I have the book linked below.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/The-Sixteenth-Mississippi-InfantryRobert-G-Evans/1111502701?ean=9781604736922

The beginning also houses short biographies about the individuals who wrote in the book, as it is all letters. You can find more information about John and Harry there.

As for artifacts, unfortunately I don't believe any images were published, however i would be more than happy to get some snapshots of some of them, including the bayonet. We also have a letter that was not published detailing the Union invasion of Woodville, where the Lewis family had to bury silver spoons in order to keep them from being requisitioned by Union troops. We still have those spoons in our possession. In terms of the uniforms and other artifacts that were donated to museums, I will have to ask my grandparents where they decided to send them to as I don't know off the top of my head.

Thanks for you interest!

Edit:

Here are some photographs of two of the artifacts that I mentioned above. The first is Fletch's bayonet, and I believe that we also have the whetstone that he used to sharpen in, but I will have to look for it. the second are two of the spoons that were buried in the backyard while the Union moved through Mississippi.

9118 9119

Edit 2:

Here is another picture with all 3 items in frame, including the whetstone.

StonewallJameson
07-22-2018, 04:10 AM
I am actually in the process of researching a man who I believe to be my great-great-grandfather. I found his name by happenstance when browsing the 1st NC Cav Regiment roster. I inquired with my family a few days later. What I know as of right now is that "S.N. Blake, PVT" enlisted in Company C, otherwise known as the Mecklenburg Rangers, which recruited from Mecklenburg and the surrounding counties where my branch of the family resides and has for a very long while. "Blake" is not a common name in the area at all, with the main branch of the family being in South Carolina where they immigrated to from England. Now, all my living family is aware of is that my great-grandfather was raised alone by his mother and that his DoB was sometime in late 1861, which would put his conception sometime in the Spring. It is possible, therefore, that "Grandad Blake's" absentee father could be Pvt S.N. Blake since even if S.N. perished in during the war, the time frame of conception and birth fits nicely in with the mustering of the 1 NC Cav.

I have so far not been able to find any other records about S.N. Blake, but I haven't dug too deep. I'm really digging the idea that I may be a direct descendant of one of "Stuart's Tarheels", but even if I'm not it'll be a fun exercise. Hopefully, I don't find out that my great-great-grandfather was just some womanizing drunk who left bastards all over the Piedmont lol.

John Cooley
07-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Hopefully, I don't find out that my great-great-grandfather was just some womanizing drunk who left bastards all over the Piedmont lol.
Or, worse yet, ran off to join the Yanks. :O

buzznfl
07-26-2018, 12:49 AM
Sorry no pictures but my Grandfather Alexander L Russell and 2 brothers Dickson H and George W all served with the Virginia 64th Mounted Infantry. Dickson was actually captured and was a POW in a camp outside of Chicago.

Kidkummbara
09-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a picture but I will include one of two men from the same unit. My Civil War ancestor is Henry William James. He served with the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, Company B. His CO was Howard W. Reed. His unit didn't fight at any largely-known engagements but did take part in the Appomattox Campaign that ended the war, being present for the battles at Appomattox Station and Courthouse. I don't know very much but I can assume that since there isn't any paperwork except his name on the roster and discharge papers he was never severely sounded and fought without backing down.

McMuffin
09-24-2018, 10:14 PM
I just found a new ancestor. He is my triple great grandfather's nephew.

Marshall, John G.
3rd Arkansas Field Artillery, Captain (commander), CSA
Battles: Prairie Grove, Helena, Little Rock, Red River Campaign
Commander of battery 1862-May 1865.

NJ87Army
09-24-2018, 10:35 PM
As far as ive been told . My grandmother maiden name is Lee her family came from Birmingham England in 1900 her grandfather was a lord in 1830s time frame his Cousin was Light Horse harry Lee I guess im 6 parts removed from cousins of Robert E Lee or whatever the math is I can trace my lineage in england pretty far back and my uncle has our actual family tree that was down by the library of geneology in england twenty years ago

tmoseley66
10-05-2018, 11:07 PM
My 3rd Great Grandfather

Nicholas E. Perkins
Born 1823 Halifax VA
Died 1874 Independence, MS
Migrated to Mississippi in 1846

March 27, 1861 - Enlisted at the age of 38 as a Private in the original ('old') 9th Mississippi Infantry Regiment, Company B (Home Guards)

The 9th was a 1 year regiment & after serving at Pensacola with Gen Bragg, was reorganized as the 'new' 9th Mississippi on March 27, 1861.

Re-enlisted in the 9th Mississippi, Company A (Captain Wallace's Company).

Perkins was a blacksmith by trade & was employed on extra duty as the brigade blacksmith of the 'High Pressure Brigade' from late 1862 till the surrender.

Saw action at Shiloh, Munfordville, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, the Atlanta Campaign & all other engagements of the Army of Tennessee.

His wife wrote in a letter to relatives in February 1863 - "Nicholas has been in three battles where they fell thick on his right and left and still he is spared"

She also wrote in the same letter that the "most valuable negro we had is gone to the yankeys... Nicholas took him to the army to wait on him and after the battle at Murfreesboro he left". :)

Private N.E. Perkins and the rest of the 9th Mississippi surrendered with General Johnston near High Point N.C. on April 28, 1865. He was paroled at Greensboro, N.C. on May 1, 1865 and returned to Mississippi, where he died in 1874.

tmoseley66
10-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Nicholas E. Perkins - Photo

tmoseley66
10-08-2018, 09:07 PM
My Great-Great Grandfather:

Marshall H. Munns
Born 1827 Tennessee
Died 1904 Tate County, Mississippi

July 29th 1862 - Enlisted as a Private in Company C. - 2nd Mississippi Partisan Rangers (Ballentine's Battalion)

August 20, 1864 - Captured near Atlanta
Sept 1 - 2, 1864 - Held at Military Prison in Louisville, KY
Sept 3, 1864 - Held at Camp Chase, Columbus, OH
March 10, 1865 - Took Oath of Allegiance to Union
March 21, 1865 - Released with stipulation that he remain in the loyal states for the duration of the war

Rickie Spanish
10-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Neat info man! Especially the letters, that's gold!

Filkins
10-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Well I have two.

Captain Morgan L Filkins Company G Co of the 177th New York Volunteer Infantry. No picture sorry. He may have never seen combat. He mustered out the same month as the regiments only battle.

Colonel James Hagan, Hagan's Cavalry Brigade under Wheeler. He saw multiple battles and was wounded multiple times. His promotion to Brigadier General was blocked by Braxton Braggs for being an Alcoholic. Almost all of the battles he was in were in Tennessee and two were in Sought Carolina. He is also a veteran of the Mexican American war and was part of Hayes Texas Rangers. Yes those Texas Rangers. When the war started he took command of the 3rd Alabama Cavalry Regiment.

I have family that has fought in many of America's wars/Conflicts. My family on my Father's side has been in the US since before the Revolution. They have been here since 1652. I will follow my families footsteps into the military.

Pootis
10-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Hi again- back with an update on Daniel W- Found out new, FASCINATING information about him! Happy Skirmishes II, by the way. If you want to know the first bit of information about him, you can look, page 9, but to sum up his first half, he served from July 1861 through New Year 1863 with the 24th NC, Company G, through Sharpsburg/Antietam, in the west woods with Ransom's brigade!

Turns out he was paid as a substitute for one "D.E McNeil" to enter the 1st North Carolina Heavy Artillery, wherein he transferred to Company D. He was then stationed at Forts Fisher and Anderson, and found himself at Fisher during the fateful two battles of the fort, wherein he was captured in the second assault. His unit was manning the land-face of the fort, so I've read. He was sent to Point Lookout and survived 5 months until he took an oath of allegiance on June 24th, and was released shortly after. He died in March 1895 at 73 years old- He was 39 when he enlisted in 1861, he was 43 when he was mustered out, and his description when exiting point lookout has his hair at that not too advanced age as being "grayish." Likely from the collected stress of 5 years of war.

Happy trails!

JDwoody
10-13-2018, 06:05 AM
My Civil War ancestor was Captain Silas Soule, who refused to participate in the Sand Creek Massacre in Indian Territory.

John Cooley
10-15-2018, 05:15 PM
Had insomnia the other night so was working on the Genealogy of myself and my girlfriend.
Mine goes much further back so while working on the 1800s in her paternal line I came across this gem ...

PVT Sylvanus R. Rorick
Enlisted 29 July 1862
C Company 107th New York Infantry Regiment
Mustered out less than 2 months later after being severely wounded at the Battle of Antietam.

Now if this Son of the South can be totally deliriously happy dating his Daughter of the North ...
There may actually be some hope for this Community, after all. :)

Lenny
10-15-2018, 11:41 PM
Pvt. Andrew Jackson Baldridge 39th KY Infantry Co.A
Feb 16 1863-Sep 15 1865
https://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/ad061e8f-baea-4552-95a0-fa498f5681c0.jpg?client=Trees&imageQuality=hq&maxWidth=1898.75&maxHeight=942.5

Pvt. John Martin Hall 14th KY Infantry Co.G
Oct 1 1861-Jan 31 1865
https://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/afe12365-8eed-46a4-b624-8fcb6e23c235.jpg?client=Trees&imageQuality=hq&maxWidth=1898.75&maxHeight=942.5

Pvt. James Musick 45th KY Infantry Co.F
Nov 2 1863- Dec 24 1864

All Union Men

Leifr
10-16-2018, 08:41 AM
My Aunt began constructing our family tree two years back and found a somewhat scandalous event in the records. A Great-Great-Grandmother emigrated to Louisiana (from the UK) around 1830 to marry an American citizen. She had divorced her English husband (after having kids, my Great-Grandma) and fled for the United States. We're not really sure of much else beyond this point, nor have the means to do so with British records.

What would be the best way to pursue this regarding American records? It's not strictly ACW but if she had children, they may very well have participated.

Lenny
10-16-2018, 10:46 AM
I would recommend ancestry, though it is pricey It really helps. Try the 2 week free trial to see how it is.

Kyle422
10-19-2018, 04:10 PM
These are all my ancestors on my dads side that are of the same name not counting cousins or anything like that

Mellott, Amos enlised as a musician November 4th 1862 with Co. H 158th PVI mustered out 12th Aug 1863 Then was drafted as a Fifer for the 97th PVI Co. A mustered out Jul 31 1865

Mellott, Baltzer W. enlisted Nov 4th 1862 as a Pvt in Co. H 126th PVI mustered out 12th Aug 1863 Then enlisted late Feb 1864 with Co. M 22nd Pa Cavalry Mustered out 31st Oct 1865

Mellott, Caleb Enlisted as a Pvt in Co. I 82nd PVI was killed in action at Hall's Hill Virginia he is buried at Arlington Cemetary

Mellott, Daniel B Was drafted in Co I 82nd PVI mustered out June 1865

Mellott, David R Drafted as a Pvt Nov 28th 1864 in Co. C 29th PVI mustered out July 17th 1865

Mellott, Fred enlisted Nov 25 as a Pvt in Co. B 3rd Maryland Potomac Home Brigade

John L Mellott Pvt Enlisted in Co K 12th PA reserves which became the 41st PA he transferred to Co A July 20 1862 Was Killed at the battle of south Mountain during the Maryland Campaign on either the 11th or 12th of september Buried in the Antietam National Cemetery in Sharpsburg

Mellott, George Washington Pvt enlisted Nov 1862 in Co H 158th PVI mustered out Aug 1863

Mellott, Henry T Pvt Enlisted Nov 1862 Co H 158th PVI mustered out Aug 12th 1863

Melllot, Hiram Pvt Enlisted at age 19 January 1864 with the 22nd PA Cavalry Mustered out July 6th 1865

Mellott, Jacob B Pvt Enlisted Feb 27th 1864 Co. C 11th Pa Cavalry Mustered out Aug 13th 1865 in Manchester Virginia

Mellot, Jacob Rowland Pvt enlisted Nov 1862 Co. H 158th PVI was captured and after 40 days as a POW he died of diphtheria June 27th 1863 in Washington North Carolina

Mellott. John L Pvt Co A 11th PVI John died in the 3rd Division 5th Corps Field Hospital in Virginia of remittent fever

Mellott, mason Pvt Enlisted Sept 29th 1864 Co B 56th PVI mustered out may 31st 1865

Mellott, Norris Pvt enlisted Aug 1862 Co B 126th PVI Deserted sept 25th 1862, Moved to ohio was then enlisted or drafted as a Pvt in Co H 130th Indiana Infantry was promoted to CPL was killed in the Nashville Tennessee Campaign Nov 10th 1864 Buried in Nashville National Cemetery

Mellott, Peter Pvt Enlisted April 22nd 1861 12th PVI mustered out Aug 5th 1861 then enlisted in Co B 3rd Maryland Potomac Home brigade December 1862 then mustered out May 29th 1865

Mellott, Samuel B Pvt co I 22nd PVI December 1864 mustered out June 1865

Mellott, Samuel S enlisted 22nd PA Cavalry

Mellott, Simon Pvt Co H 22nd Pa Cavalry Feb 8th 1864 was wounded in knee by a shell fragment in 1864 mustered out Oct 31st 1865 "Was Crippled rest of life cause of shell wound"

Mellott, Stephen Pvt enlisted 1861 In Co A and K 41st PVI then in co B 190th PVI Mustered out July 15th 1865

Mellott, Thomas Caleb Enlisted as a PVT in the 158th PVI Co H mustered out 12th Aug 12th 1863 died 23 days after enlistment ended

Mellott, Cornelius Pvt Enlisted Sept 20th 1861 Co A 11th PVI killed Aug 30 1862 at Second bullrun

Mellott thomas Pvt enlisted Feb 1864 Co. C 11th Pa Cavalry mustered out 13th Aug 1865

Mellott, William Pvt enlisted June 6th 1862 Co. B 3rd Maryland Potomac Home Brigade mustered out June 19th 1865

Leifr
10-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Are you a Mellot by any chance Kyle? :p

TrustyJam
10-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Either that or a serious Mellott-family stalker. :P

- Trusty

Kyle422
10-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Nope not at all ;)

Cairnsy44
10-23-2018, 06:10 PM
On my mother's side, my 3x Great uncle, Philo Johnson, was in the 11th Vermont Infantry, which later became the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery, but then was sent off to fight as infantry. He fought in battles at Cold Harbor, Cedar Creek, Fisher's Hill, Opequon/3rd Winchester, and Petersburg, to name a few.
Oddly, on my father's side, my 3x Great-grandfather, David Jewell, and 2 of his brothers joined the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, which had originally been the 18th Maine Infantry. They were also sent off to fight at infantry when the Overland Campaign kicked off. One of the brothers was wounded in their first fight at Spotsylvania. The next was their ill-fated charge at Petersburg in June of 1864. Massive casualties included David and his older brother. David was hit 3 times: ankle, shoulder and bowels. He amazingly lived into the next century, thankfully for me! His brother was hit in the head and died 2 years later. David recovered pretty quickly, all things considered. He returned to be promoted to sergeant and was apparently present at Lee's surrender in April 1865.

RamRod73
03-31-2019, 08:26 PM
I just found out this weekend that a decendant of mine ran north from bondage in VA and joined a Mass. U.S. Army Colored Troop unit. I had aways wondered if my ancestors were freed men or slaves and if they ever fought for their freedom and now I know. It's been a struggle to trace my lineage for obvious reasons so finding this out is special.

RamRod73
04-02-2019, 02:27 AM
That's pretty awesome, RR. What is your veteran's name? If you don't have Fold3 access, I can probably retrieve some of his records.

My wife corrected me (don't they always?) and he was never in a Mass unit. His name was Daniel Towns (or Townes) and should have been in the 61st U.S. Colored Inf or the 2nd Tenn Vols. (African Decent). Thanks rbsmith.

Johnny_Reb_1865
04-04-2019, 08:28 AM
My Confederate Ancestors:

Privates Benjamin and James West 26th Virginia Company E. (James KIA Petersburg 1864)

Private Samuel Williams 12th North Carolina Company I.
(Also had service in the 1st North Carolina Infantry Regiment Company I during The Mexican War as a Sgt. Major.)

Jeremiah Brown 15th North Carolina Company A.

John T Brown

Enlisted on July 15th 1862 at Wake County, NC as a Private.

On the same day he mustered into Company "A" 15th North Carolina Infantry Regiment.

On December 13th 1862 he was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia in the chest.

On Christmas 1862 he died of his wound at the hospital in Richmond, Virginia.

John West 26th Virginia Company E.

William B. Lassiter
Residence Northampton County NC; 26 years old.

Enlisted on 7/6/1861 at Northampton County, NC as a Private.

On 7/6/1861 he mustered into "H" Co. NC 2nd Cavalry

He was discharged on 2/18/1864

Private Charles West 26th Virginia Company F.

Sargeant Jesse Lassiter 32nd North Carolina Company D.(POW Point Lookout and Elmira. Captured Spotslavania CH. 1864)

Private Everret Lassiter 32nd North Carolina Company D. (POW Point Lookout and Elmira Captured Spotslavania CH. 1864) .)

Private William West 26th Virginia Company E.

Private Lewis West 26th Virginia Company F.

Private Joshua B Brown 32nd North Carolina Company D.

Private James M. Butler 40th Georgia Infantry Regiment Company A.

Private Edwin Williams 7th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Company F.

(Confederate Roll of Honor for Battle of Chancellorsville, VA)

He was listed as:
* POW 6/30/1862 Frayser's Farm, VA
* Confined 7/2/1862 Fort Columbus, NY (Estimated day)
* Exchanged 8/5/1862 Aiken's Landing, VA
* Wounded 7/2/1863 Gettysburg, PA (Estimated day)
* Paroled 5/12/1865 Charlotte, NC

________
I need help finding out who Samuel's mother and father were if any one can help me.

Grumpytoo
07-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Edward Hemwood, 21st NY Cavalry is a great great great great grandfather or grand-uncle of mine. There is some debate in the family which he is. Here is a photocopy of his discharge papers on June 20th, 1865.

Geoseogan
08-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Found a few ancestors, from two branches of my family on my dad's side. My paternal lineage is uncertain, I do know that we have some that served, going to get assistance from the Sons of Confederate Veterans on that one since there is a gap between my great grandfather and what could be my great great grandfather. On my dad's paternal maternal side I do know of two direct ancestors that served. Thomas' Legion (69th), a regiment comprised of men from the Appalachians (including the Cherokee).

None on my maternal side since that side comes from Korea.

RebelSon
08-11-2019, 02:23 PM
The SCV genealogy guys are great. They should be able to help you out. I have two . John Calvin Stark who served with the 4 KY Cav ( CSA) and was captured and sent to Rock Island as a POW . I grew up in the area and wound up doing reserve time at the same location. .

The ancestor that got my into the SCV though was Daniel David Crockett Sisk. Pvt in Fristoe’s Missouri Cavalry company C. Got a picture of him later in life. 11274

Poorlaggedman
03-26-2020, 12:15 AM
It's a little hazy in my family tree. I had family on both sides of the mason-dixon line but apparently in the South they were mostly too young or too old.

In the North I had one in a Wisconsin Cavalry regiment that fought in the West and another who served with the 7th Wisconsin Infantry until he died of disease early November 1862 in a hospital in New York. I have no idea of he served at 2nd Bull Run or Antietam but I sort of doubt it.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/2598180/enoch-s_-sperry

I should probably look up his records some day.

crow13b
04-03-2020, 04:10 AM
I don't have a picture, but the one Civil War ancestor I have is-
Pvt. Andrew Jackson Smith
77th NY Infantry
Transferred to 1st NY Independent Battery
Enlisted Feb 1862
Died of disease Feb 1865

My wife's ancestor is my avatar.
Pvt. Daniel Oberheim
92nd Illinois Infantry
Enlisted 1862
Discharged 1865

Larry the lobster
04-25-2020, 08:42 PM
I had an ancestor who moved from Ireland to fight for the union, He was a private in the 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment.

USHistoryCollector
04-28-2020, 08:00 PM
My ancestor was the Regimental Chaplain of the 19th Iowa, but he has a lot more history than that...

Born in England in 1815, he joined the British Army and fought to put down a rebellion in Canada in 1835. He decided to stay in North America after his military service, and entered into schooling. He graduated with a theology degree, and eventually moved to Iowa. In 1864, he joined up to fight in the 19th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned as the Regimental Chaplain. He fought in the battle of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely.

From "THE HISTORY OF THE 19TH IOWA"; "I would not do my duty to the regiment, did I fail to express their sense of gratitude to our revered Chaplain, Rev J.D. Sands. His kind manners, his good example and influence, and not least his noble behaviour in the attack and seige of Spanish Fort, all entitle him to the high place he holds in our affections. He shared the danger of the very front and advance, and his manly bearing in action, and his womanly tenderness to the wounded would extort praise from the most unwilling, how much then it would gain our love"

From his obituary; "A man of his age, ability and military experience might have easily secured the position of colonel or even higher in military rank, but he went as chaplain of the Nineteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and thus served until the close of the war. Chaplains are considered non combatants, consequently are supposed to be in a safe place during an engagement; not so with Chaplain Sands. In the time of an engagement, as members of his old regiment have told me, Chaplain Sands was always found on the firing line with musket in hand and his watchword was always ‘Come on boys.’ "

He is my profile picture :)

Geoseogan
05-12-2020, 01:50 AM
I have found and confirmed several ancestors, mostly from the Appalachians of North Carolina, inclusive of the 29th, the ill-fated and decimated 62nd, and 69th (Thomas' Legion of Cherokee Indians and Highlanders) N.C. The one that got me into the SCV was from the 29th, I have a photocopy of various historical documents proving his honorable service (i.e. did not mutiny nor was discharged dishonorably), thanks to SCV genealogists (I also found and confirmed one ancestor who served in the Revolutionary War, thanks to my family's burial site that made it easy to track him, and other ancestors, down).

Brooklyn
06-15-2020, 07:07 PM
Found out that my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Wendel Bleckle was a Pvt in Co. E, 46th New York Volunteer Infantry.

I found some records, the first one (https://i.imgur.com/RU1UsjE.jpg)states that he deserted in June 1863 but also states that he was discharged in September 1864. Then the second one (https://i.imgur.com/ehvSggO.png) has no mention of any desertion but just about his discharge in 1864.

Just wondering if anyone has seen that before and what it might mean?

Bradley
06-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Found out that my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Wendel Bleckle was a Pvt in Co. E, 46th New York Volunteer Infantry.

I found some records, the first one (https://i.imgur.com/RU1UsjE.jpg)states that he deserted in June 1863 but also states that he was discharged in September 1864. Then the second one (https://i.imgur.com/ehvSggO.png) has no mention of any desertion but just about his discharge in 1864.

Just wondering if anyone has seen that before and what it might mean?

It appears he was captured, paroled, hospitalized, and deserted.

I don't want to speculate about your ancestor, but it was not unusual for men to allow themselves to be captured in order to sign a parole and get themselves at least temporarily out of the war, and it was also not unusual for men to feign illness to avoid the war, as well. When all else failed, many men just deserted altogether. This may explain your ancestor's record, but it might not.

I have attached his record for you.

Brooklyn
06-15-2020, 08:19 PM
It appears he was captured, paroled, hospitalized, and deserted.

I don't want to speculate about your ancestor, but it was not unusual for men to allow themselves to be captured in order to sign a parole and get themselves at least temporarily out of the war, and it was also not unusual for men to feign illness to avoid the war, as well. When all else failed, many men just deserted altogether. This may explain your ancestor's record, but it might not.

I have attached his record for you.

My biggest question is why does it it say he was discharged later in 1864 then? Also that the second record has no mention of it? Not to say that you're wrong just find it kind of odd they would bother with putting down that he was discharged in Sept. 1864 if he had deserted in June 1863.

Edit: For example here's a record (https://i.imgur.com/rre0VFe.jpg) of another man from the 46th NY that deserted in 1861, but no mention of a discharge.

Bradley
06-15-2020, 10:51 PM
My best guess is that his timeline looks something like this:

Captured March 31, 1862
Paroled October 19, 1862
Hospitalized from October 21, 1862 to April 10, 1863
Deserted June 13, 1863
[He must have returned after being AWOL?]
Hospitalized again October 1864
Discharged September 15, 1864

Brooklyn
06-15-2020, 11:38 PM
Well I guess that could make sense, I was reading that there where some cases of amnesty being given to deserters if they returned to their units.

Also I came across a Civil War pension record (https://i.imgur.com/WDkranc.jpg) (Spelling of the names a little different but I'm pretty sure it's my ancestor) I don't think deserters would of got pensions.

Blackweb
06-24-2020, 03:41 PM
My great grand-father:
Corporal Joab Blackman,
Company C, 8th Florida Infantry, Col Richard F. Floyd commanding
Perry's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
Mustered in: March 10, 1862
Wounded at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863
Mustered out: April 9, 1865 (Lee's surrender at Appomattox)
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/8th_Regiment,_Florida_Infantry_(Confederate)
https://archive.org/stream/soldiersofflorid00flor#page/189/mode/1up
http://myweb.fsu.edu/rthompson2//cw/8-fl-inf/8-fl-inf-c.html
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=8th+florida+infantry&docid=608022138927186432&mid=D60CE112ECDD3C5C0C12D60CE112ECDD3C5C0C12&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Bradley
06-24-2020, 04:14 PM
My great-great-grandfather, his brother, and their brother-in-law served in Co. D of the 8th Florida. It is pretty cool to play War of Rights alongside another descendant of the 8th Florida.

UCS_Researcher
10-09-2020, 12:16 PM
Any UK based players who have traced ancestors who took part in the conflict or have family links ?

MTM517
11-09-2020, 10:58 PM
I'm guessing that I do. Just started getting into researching the history of my family. Most of my family is from Pennsylvania so if I did they'd probably be in a PA regiment. Who knows I might even have some Confederate ones as well who decided to move down there at the time. Totally excited about finding info on this but researching takes time.

Jakkejr
12-17-2020, 02:45 AM
New recruit here..... my GG grandfather George Frederick Glover enlisted: private, Canebrake Legion Demopolis ,AL Marengo County and ended up commanding as Capt. Co. A 43rd AL

Ryancito
01-20-2021, 02:36 AM
Private Patrick Moynihan

I am unsure what unit he was with but I know he was an Irish Immigrant and enlisted in 1864.

Bradley
01-23-2021, 11:20 PM
Private Patrick Moynihan

I am unsure what unit he was with but I know he was an Irish Immigrant and enlisted in 1864.

There was a Corporal Patrick Moynihan with the 6th/8th Missouri Infantry (Union).

Sessions
05-05-2023, 11:41 PM
Yes, my Civil War ancestor is Capt George H Sessions of the 5th VT Inf Company E. He enlisted as a Private progressing to Sergeant. He would eventually be commissioned as a Lieutenant and be promoted to Captain.

Double Event
07-16-2023, 03:32 AM
My great-great grandfather Joseph Snider served the Union. When he was 19 years old, he was mustered into the United States Army as a private in Company H, 12th Regiment of Virginia Volunteer Infantry (West Virginia) on August 16, 1862. He was discharged from the 12th Regiment on February 18, 1863 at Winchester on account of disability received in service. After he regained his health, Joseph re-enlisted on August 28, 1864 and served in Company C, 6th Regiment West Virginia Cavalry. He served his country through the end of the rebellion and was mustered out at Washington, D.C. on May 19th, 1865.