PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers weapons

Caserta34
01-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Will the regular linemen carry revolvers or will it only be officers

Hinkel
01-02-2015, 10:43 PM
I doubt there were much revolvers in the regular line.
But there is nothing against looting from dead officers :)

Caserta34
01-03-2015, 01:17 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the reply

GeorgeCrecy
01-03-2015, 01:43 AM
That is a great question Caserta, let me try and answer you from the perspective of generalities of late 1862:

As per regulations, those that would have revolvers would be officers, any cavalryman, some infantry NCO's, and some artillerymen. For the first two, the usual one issued to them by the quartermaster would be the Colt Army M1860. However, the Colt was a bit of a hit or miss in terms of popularity, mainly because of the lengthy and awkward reloading procedure. If the individual had money, especially an officer who is usually from a more wealthy background, then a private purchase was available. In that case, many liked to get the 1858 New Army Remington, though there are all sorts of others such as the Adams, Starr, Lefaucheux, and Whitney, among others. But the Colt and Remington were by far two of the most well known and used guns during the war.
For the last two, infantry sergeants had their choice of what to carry, as they had a rifle, revolver, and NCO sword all available to them. Some liked to continue using their rifle, and some preferred to go for the revolver/sword combo. As for artillerymen, when the war began the government found themselves with plenty of artillerymen, but not enough artillery, so many were retrained and issued as infantry. For those remaining, heavy artillery were issued the gladius-esque 1832 Artillery short sword, and light or mounted artillery were issued the 1840 Light Artillery Saber. Neither were very practical for a battle situation, so many instead sprang for a revolver or small carbine, always with the consideration that they would have to carry everything themselves and pay for it's ammunition.
As Hinkel said above, if you are not issued one, there is always the ability to start... borrowing....

Caserta34
01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Thank you for the information, I was wondering will we have a choice to be infantry NCOs or anything other position each game match

GeorgeCrecy
01-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Hey there Caserta,

Indeed there are various positions available each round, as we mentioned in the game description on modDB. You will be able to be any grade, from a private through to major general. Of course, there are going to be limitations associated with being one of these positions, so that we don't have complete noobs trying to direct the battle from headquarters (as period-correct as that might be), though I can't tell you just how that will be worked just yet.

Caserta34
01-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Ok thank you

Hairywarhero
02-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Will soldiers have different type of muskets? and also will there be picking up muskets of the dead?

Rithal
02-27-2015, 11:36 PM
Will soldiers have different type of muskets? and also will there be picking up muskets of the dead?

Considering the huge variety of muskets listed, and the devs' desire to stay as historically accurate as possible, one can rightfully assume soldiers will have a multitude of muskets available to them, both to pick up and to spawn with.

Bravescot
02-28-2015, 01:16 AM
Give me a good British made Enfield and I'd be a happy man. Give a Sharps Rifle and I'd love you forever.

Hairywarhero
02-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Pretty good thanks mate :D

Aniallator
03-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Sounds good devs :D