PDA

View Full Version : Random Links

Rithal
01-25-2015, 04:37 PM
I just noticed that if you click the newspapers on the War of Rights main website, nine times out of ten, it sends you to a random thread in the forums. Was this on purpose or some weird glitch? XD It seems like a cool idea.

Fancy Sweetroll
01-25-2015, 05:46 PM
It's not a glitch, it is supposed to link to random forum posts.

When we get further into the development, the idea was actually to have clans/regiments to create a poster similar to those on the website, the poster should just be about their own regiment instead. If you clicked on the poster you would then be taken to the clans recruitment post on the forum so you could apply.

Rithal
01-25-2015, 06:25 PM
That's actually really cool. You should definitely do that when you get further along in development.

Caserta34
01-26-2015, 04:05 AM
How far are you guys in development

Rithal
01-26-2015, 04:29 AM
Yeah, I'm with Caserta. Can you maybe just give us a quick status update? Like, what did you work on today? :)

TrustyJam
01-26-2015, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I'm with Caserta. Can you maybe just give us a quick status update? Like, what did you work on today? :)

Alright just for once then. :p Worked a bit on a camp and spent a good 4 hours discussing map related balance topics with Fancy.

- Trusty

Rithal
01-26-2015, 09:14 PM
:D Thanks Trusty. It always makes us happy to hear about the progress you have made. Thanks for all of your hard work, and your devotion to delivering us a great game!

Caserta34
01-26-2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply

Hinkel
01-26-2015, 11:07 PM
I don't want to tease .. but the camp is nothing, which you saw in any game yet..
In terms of awesomeness, authentic, details .. :cool: ... use?! :D

Bravescot
01-27-2015, 01:47 AM
Has the parade ground map idea been tossed around?

Caserta34
01-27-2015, 03:47 AM
Do u think u can give us a percentage of completion

Rithal
01-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Well Caserta, they've already given us more info in the past two days than they have for the whole first two years time this game has been in development! Might not wanna push our luck too far! :D Just kidding.

P.S: You guys should totes-ma-gotes show us some fancy new pics of this camp you speak of when it is finished.

Bravescot
01-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Also will the camp have such things as the ability to kick back with some period music and play cards?

Hinkel
01-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Also will the camp have such things as the ability to kick back with some period music and play cards?

Thats indeed a very cool idea! :o

Caserta34
01-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Yea I am just very excited for this game I apologize

Bravescot
01-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Thats indeed a very cool idea! :o
I give Hinkel an idea *fan girl squeal* hahaha

PvtPalmer11pvi
01-30-2015, 12:16 PM

Just saying if you make it so we can play Rounders with our camp mates I will probably stroke out from happiness

Bravescot
01-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Just saying if you make it so we can play Rounders with our camp mates I will probably stroke out from happiness

I'd do anything for this idea.

Rithal
01-30-2015, 09:36 PM
I think it would depend on the time it would take for one team to engage the other team, and if we would even have the time to sit around in camp. If there is time, then it would be great. It would also be interesting to implement a day night cycle, so the head officer could wait to attack until he had the advantage. Think about sitting around in camp while riders and scouts are out trying to find the enemy. I don't know exactly how much fun that would be, but still realistic and adds to the immersion.

Bravescot
01-30-2015, 11:33 PM
So say the battle opens at dawn with the first spawning regiments in camp chilling. Officers can send out scouts and riders as regiments in camp start to ready up or chill. Enemy is found and the units set off engage leaving the ordinance and supplies in camp to be brought to them via supply carts and such. Say the battle rages for a day and nothing is really gained. Remaining regiments with draw back to camp and the battle starts up the next day.

Rithal
01-31-2015, 01:59 AM
I like it, and you only have a set amount of resources at the first day, and you have to ration those resources out throughout the fight until one team is defeated or loses all tactical positions.
So, if you use all of your resources on the first day of fighting, but you don't gain any ground, then you are at a disadvantage the next day. I'd say we are coming up with some pretty good ideas.

Rithal
01-31-2015, 02:49 AM
Hope you are still stalking us by the way Trusty :)

Bravescot
01-31-2015, 01:26 PM
He's better be because you and I are on a role.
There should also be a feature that speeds things up a little that if any of the Generals are killed the Brigade, Division or whole army depending on the rank get a debuff until the high command fix the chain of command. This will allow moments for either side to try and make a punch.
Also all info that Generals get, on say a map they have, should come through scouts. They must ride about or run (if Sharpshooters are acting as recon) to find the location of hostile units. Should they find one they must get a line of sight through their binoculars on the Regimental Colours or officer to learn which regiment it is, their numbers and direction of travel. They can then get this information back to the Generals or other officers.

Rithal
01-31-2015, 05:32 PM
Sounds good to me.

Bravescot
01-31-2015, 11:51 PM
We must not stop! We must keep pumping out ideas!

Rithal
02-01-2015, 02:04 AM
Well, we should discuss whether the general should be a physical player in the map, or should just be like a ghost in the sky looking down at a historical map and unit movements as they are updated.

Bravescot
02-01-2015, 01:44 PM
That is actually a really good point. I feel he should be a physical person who carries around a map that he can look at and issue commands off of. So he'd have the over head ghost trait for commanding but movement he should be a person.

Hinkel
02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Well, we should discuss whether the general should be a physical player in the map, or should just be like a ghost in the sky looking down at a historical map and unit movements as they are updated.

The generals will be of course physical players, mostly located in the headquarters.
The Piper Farm was General Longstreets headquarter at Antietam for example. From there, he coordinated the attacks :)

High ranked generals like him should really have the option, to look at a historical map, coordinating the movements and other, fancy stuff !! ;) :rolleyes:

This is a really old screenshot.. everything expect the house changed since that time :D
http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/18/17791/9.jpg

Bravescot
02-01-2015, 02:34 PM
:O They are watching us Rithal!

Rithal
02-01-2015, 08:11 PM
How exciting! I'm interested to find out what this "other, fancy stuff" is :)

Caserta34
02-02-2015, 05:47 AM
How does the officer get the orders from the general

Soulfly
02-02-2015, 07:06 AM
You may find information here http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?254-Abilities-for-a-General-to-lead&highlight=lead

Steiner
02-02-2015, 08:06 AM
One of the great features in the game. Maybe, just maybe a suggestion but could it be an idea to also implement the courier system in some way? I have no idea how to do this but this would really add to battle confusion. I love the idea of physical presence of generals in the game.

Soulfly
02-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Adding a courier system would indeed be a great feature, since the delay of orders may decide battles. As a possible way i am thinking about a interactive map where the commanding general "draws" a line/ position where he would like to have his men/ guns (i don't want to be the one coding this) and as soon as the courier arrives the regiment commander the map gets actualized and the regiment commander now sees his orders and the new position.

Such an interactive map would also be great for sketching enemy movement and reconnaissance.

Hinkel
02-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Adding a courier system would indeed be a great feature, since the delay of orders may decide battles. As a possible way i am think about a interactive map where the commanding general "draws" a line/ position where he would like to have his men/ guns (i don't want to be the one coding this) and as soon as the courier arrives the regiment commander the map gets actualized and the regiment commander now sees his orders and the new position.

Such an interactive map would also be great for sketching enemy movement and reconnaissance.

Wait, did you get into my brain and stealing my idea? :p
Such a courier system would be indeed a great feature and needed for historical gameplay. It turns out, how far something like that is possible within the engine.
So.. its not a YES or NO ;)

Bravescot
02-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I swear you guys would make great fishermen. You bangle the bate in such a way that non of us can say no and we all take it hook line and sinker.

Soulfly
02-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Wait, did you get into my brain and stealing my idea? :p
Such a courier system would be indeed a great feature and needed for historical gameplay. It turns out, how far something like that is possible within the engine.
So.. its not a YES or NO ;)

Well maybe ;) but since i don't even want to imagine the effort of coding this, i am more realistic to think that a system with map coordinates and sectors is more realistic.

Caserta34
02-03-2015, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the help southfly

Rithal
02-04-2015, 01:54 AM
Or we could go the super realistic route and have the general send a courier with a letter that was written (typed) out to the officer of a regiment/company and telling him what his orders are. Maybe something similar to the courier system in the Scourge of War games, and Take Command 2nd Manassas.

Bravescot
02-04-2015, 03:07 AM
Colonel: "Ah the rider with our orders" *takes letter and opens it* Letter: "#YOLO. Go rekt dat reb hill m8 or I'll have ya init blad"

Rithal
02-04-2015, 03:15 AM
Haha. This is possible but I don't forsee it happening because if you are the general you are probably a pretty serious player. If the commander was a troll then he would be completely incompetent no matter what kind of courier system was used. The problem would then be the general not the order relay system.

PvtPalmer11pvi
02-04-2015, 03:20 AM
Or we could go the super realistic route and have the general send a courier with a letter that was written (typed) out to the officer of a regiment/company and telling him what his orders are. Maybe something similar to the courier system in the Scourge of War games, and Take Command 2nd Manassas.

AH imagine of you will the chaos that would insure if the courier would happen to be picked off and no orders would be received. Honestly a deciding factor in an engagement.

Rithal
02-04-2015, 04:50 AM
Indeed. It would be a deciding factor, just like it was historically :) This would also create a whole new dimension to the battle. Officers would need to worry about or consider sending out sharpshooters and skirmishers to capture and kill enemy couriers to cut entire regiments off from the HQ. Very interesting and could make for some fun game play.

Bravescot
02-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Well looks like I've just chosen what I want to do as a battlefield job. Bravescot the courier killer has a nice ring to it.

Right now all we're talking about is Generals. Why don't we consider what might happen in a Colonel were to be killed or a Captain during a fire fight or for other reasons. What kind of chaos or disorder would be generated in that kind of a situation?

Soulfly
02-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Why don't we consider what might happen in a Colonel were to be killed or a Captain during a fire fight or for other reasons. What kind of chaos or disorder would be generated in that kind of a situation?

Well another player would take command. The lower you get, the easier you are to replace...

Bravescot
02-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Well another player would take command. The lower you get, the easier you are to replace...

Yes but in the heat of battle you Captain is struck by a cannon ball as the line is shot to bits by incoming fire. I'd like to see a regiment back then not suffer a massive moral hit if their officers, the men leading them from the front bravely and sometimes the only reason the line moves at all, are being gunned down before them.

Ry1459
02-05-2015, 02:58 AM
Well looks like I've just chosen what I want to do as a battlefield job. Bravescot the courier killer has a nice ring to it.

Right now all we're talking about is Generals. Why don't we consider what might happen in a Colonel were to be killed or a Captain during a fire fight or for other reasons. What kind of chaos or disorder would be generated in that kind of a situation?

May I take part in this job?

GeorgeCrecy
02-05-2015, 03:33 AM
Yes but in the heat of battle you Captain is struck by a cannon ball as the line is shot to bits by incoming fire. I'd like to see a regiment back then not suffer a massive moral hit if their officers, the men leading them from the front bravely and sometimes the only reason the line moves at all, are being gunned down before them.

Indeed. During the time there would be serious moral hits were officers to be killed or even taken out of the fight non-mortally. For instance, at the Siege of Harper's Ferry at the very onset of hostilities, a few Union forces were holding down their lines on the Maryland Heights as several regiments of the Confederates came boring in on them. The 126th NY were - in part - one of the regiments represented up there, and were greener than the grass beneath their feet, having been in the army less that three weeks. Their commanding officer had fallen ill that morning, so he left command to Col. Eliakim Sherril. The New Yorkers, despite their condition and circumstances, were holding off quite well, that is until their Colonel received a shot through his tongue and cheek as he rallied the men, and was carried off the field. Then the Confederates flanked them, and the men fled.

Soulfly
02-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Indeed. During the time there would be serious moral hits were officers to be killed or even taken out of the fight non-mortally. For instance, at the Siege of Harper's Ferry at the very onset of hostilities, a few Union forces were holding down their lines on the Maryland Heights as several regiments of the Confederates came boring in on them. The 126th NY were - in part - one of the regiments represented up there, and were greener than the grass beneath their feet, having been in the army less that three weeks. Their commanding officer had fallen ill that morning, so he left command to Col. Eliakim Sherril. The New Yorkers, despite their condition and circumstances, were holding off quite well, that is until their Colonel received a shot through his tongue and cheek as he rallied the men, and was carried off the field. Then the Confederates flanked them, and the men fled.

Absolutely, but i said "another player would take command" so i think there is and always will be a huge difference between history and gameplay. Of course the killing of a commander will have an effect, but it will never been the same compared to history...just think about the roles of NCOs today and back then. All the historic regiments/ clans i have played with have merely adopted the military system of today, like "learn the role of your superior".

Bravescot
02-05-2015, 03:24 PM
We're not talking about the "another player takes command". What we're talking about it what kind of debuffs might happen and if it will effect how this operate. It's all well and good using the modern system but back then a Major would often know more the a Lieutenant and so the attributes and skills the rank hold in game should differ. A Major can inspire a line and maybe buff them a little. He's shot and the Captain fell earlier in the battle. The First Lieutenant steps up to take command. He does not have the same effect on the line's abilities and may not have the same knowledge the Major possess, for example the Major got told just before that there was an enemy line moving on their flank. He does with this information. The enemy flak them and it ends in a blood bath.

PvtPalmer11pvi
02-05-2015, 05:34 PM
We're not talking about the "another player takes command". What we're talking about it what kind of debuffs might happen and if it will effect how this operate. It's all well and good using the modern system but back then a Major would often know more the a Lieutenant and so the attributes and skills the rank hold in game should differ. A Major can inspire a line and maybe buff them a little. He's shot and the Captain fell earlier in the battle. The First Lieutenant steps up to take command. He does not have the same effect on the line's abilities and may not have the same knowledge the Major possess, for example the Major got told just before that there was an enemy line moving on their flank. He does with this information. The enemy flak them and it ends in a blood bath.

While this is indeed and interesting and realistic idea I just cant help but think that more fire would be drawn towards the officers rather than the hundreds of guns aiming at you.

Bravescot
02-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Good point. It should also make Sharpshooters a little too over powered.

GeorgeCrecy
02-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Absolutely, but i said "another player would take command" so i think there is and always will be a huge difference between history and gameplay. Of course the killing of a commander will have an effect, but it will never been the same compared to history...just think about the roles of NCOs today and back then. All the historic regiments/ clans i have played with have merely adopted the military system of today, like "learn the role of your superior".

As to your last point, I will reference Kautz' "Customs of Service for Non-Commissioned Officers and Soldiers," though there is a very similar passage in the Commissioned Officers version as well.
"... a soldier should be conversant first of all with the proper and legitimate duties of his grade, and, these attained, his next step is the acquirement of a knowledge of the duties of the next highest position..."
In the game, it can be sure that, as with the case of the time, that a lieutenant will need to be able to take the job of the captain were he to be incapacitated, and he the position of the major, and so on and so forth.

Soulfly
02-06-2015, 08:50 AM
As to your last point, I will reference Kautz' "Customs of Service for Non-Commissioned Officers and Soldiers," though there is a very similar passage in the Commissioned Officers version as well.
"... a soldier should be conversant first of all with the proper and legitimate duties of his grade, and, these attained, his next step is the acquirement of a knowledge of the duties of the next highest position..."
In the game, it can be sure that, as with the case of the time, that a lieutenant will need to be able to take the job of the captain were he to be incapacitated, and he the position of the major, and so on and so forth.

Thanks for that source, will take a closer look at it and i think that this is what is going to happen.

Yea but as you said it "back then" you can not compare any gameplay to historic events or structures. Will you let you men die or let them leaderless because "back then" no NCO took over command ? My experiences so far are that if a officer/ commander gets killed there is always a replacement and there is always a plan/ process behind it....and since it is a game there is no "Morale breakdown" or panic if a commander falls. In my eyes games and real life events are sometimes hard to compare, games may orient on history but you will never have the same experience as you have in real life combat.

Rithal
02-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Yea but as you said it "back then" you can not compare any gameplay to historic events or structures. Will you let you men die or let them leaderless because "back then" no NCO took over command ? My experiences so far are that if a officer/ commander gets killed there is always a replacement and there is always a plan/ process behind it....and since it is a game there is no "Morale breakdown" or panic if a commander falls. In my eyes games and real life events are sometimes hard to compare, games may orient on history but you will never have the same experience as you have in real life combat.

Well, really if every officer fell, that would mean that probably almost all of the enlisted fell as well, so by that point, it would be better to just fall back and give up your position. The beauty of this situation however is the players can react to a fallen officer however they like, just like they did in real life. If that means a random NCO taking command, then that's what will happen. If it means the men running away because they don't feel like getting shot, then that's what will happen. It's entirely situational in my opinion. You will have to leave it to the players.

Bravescot
02-07-2015, 11:06 AM
So on the topic of all the Officers being killed, how will respawns be handled?

Amadis
02-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I don't think the chain of command will have THAT much of an importance. One of the first point that premade brigades will sort out is going to be this, so the fall of a commander won't be more than a hassle. On the other hand, if the brigade is made out of newbies and lone wolves, things could get interesting.

You could even draw a relation with reality, where trained soldiers would be able to handle the situation way better than a bunch of green recruits.

In any of ways, since there is going to be a respawn system, I woudn't cast a final opinion until hearing how is it going to work exactly.