PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting ideas

Mancom37
02-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Hi guys,I have been following your community for a long time and finnaly decided to join.Then I thought starting to give some ideas to you that you might enjoys.I always enjoy the technology that war brings us and this one was no exception.

Hot air ballons for reconnaissance
The gatling gun
Telegraph stations and field operators
Ability to create traps like the trou de loup or hiding a keg with gunpowder on it to create a big suprise boom.
Siege mortars/howitzers

Hinkel
02-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Welcome to the community!

Well, some of your suggestions are not possible, due to historical reasons.
War of Rights features the Maryland Campaign of September 1862 and its battles. There was no use of the Gatling Gun at all, so there is no reason to add this gun ingame :)
Also, there are no historical references to some other ideas you had, so I doubt that we will include them.

We try to keep The game authentic as possible, based on the historical references we have.

Mancom37
02-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Thank you Hinkel.

There goes my dream of firing that Gatling.

Also which suggestions can t be added for historical reasons?

Rithal
02-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Thank you Hinkel.

There goes my dream of firing that Gatling.

Also which suggestions can t be added for historical reasons?

Your suggestion about the powder keg probably

GeorgeCrecy
02-04-2015, 03:03 AM
I think I will take up the banner here. :)
Hot air balloons were not present at any of the battles in the Maryland Campaign, but had been present before at the Peninsula Campaign and at the Battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville right after.
The Gatling Gun, while I do agree would be a very cool and DEVASTATING weapon to use on the battlefield, were not used anywhere near the Maryland Campaign. Unfortunately, a very conservative War Department was very resistant of any new ideas, especially things like repeater small arms or the Gatling gun. It was first used at the Siege of Petersburg, when several Union commanders decided to spring for some from their own personal funds.
As for the telegraph, while there certainly was extensive use of it during the Civil War, there was not enough time to set up telegraph lines or field stations, though there WAS enough time for McClellan to set up Signal Corps stations on his right and left. There was a station at the top of Elk Mountain that was able to relay tons of very helpful information as to enemy movement through the entire battle.
Gunpowder: no. I'm sorry but it is much more useful, efficeint, and precious to shoot it out of your weapon than to shoot a barrel of it, though if someone happened to be close to a supply wagon were it shot...
And finally, while there was absolutely no use for any sort of heavy siege equipment like mortars at any of the battles, howitzers were used on occasion as one of the guns in some batteries. However, it was much more common to see on the Confederate side. At Antietam, there were 58 Mountain Howitzers, whereas the Union only had 3 fielded.
Now, despite the boot of historical accuracy being put down hard, we want to keep hearing suggestions from you and others. You are one of the best driving tools the team has to get this game going! Keep on!

Aniallator
02-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Balloons were used in the Maryland campaign, at Sharpsburg.

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Chadman can commentate the battle from one of them :D

Hairywarhero
02-23-2015, 11:15 AM
We can ask him when the game comes out :)

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 04:37 PM
We can ask him when the game comes out :)

I can see it now. Chadman in a full suit and top hat in his own balloon commenting the battle as it goes on

GeorgeCrecy
02-24-2015, 01:50 AM
Balloons were used in the Maryland campaign, at Sharpsburg.

Do you have a source for this? I would greatly appreciate it, as my own research in the matter has dug up very little.

Soulfly
02-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Do you have a source for this? I would greatly appreciate it, as my own research in the matter has dug up very little.

After some searching i found a little page http://www.thaddeuslowe.name/CWAntietam.htm saying that the "balloon corps" was not present at Sharpsburg. Yet i had not the time reading through the summary here http://www.thaddeuslowe.name/CWsummary.htm

Aniallator
02-24-2015, 12:41 PM
That's a page from Lowe's memoirs, which I was just reading as well... I had read somewhere - I forget where - that the Balloon Corps had been deployed at Sharpsburg. However, according to Lowe's memoirs, they didn't arrive at Sharpsburg until the 21st or so... so I'm going to go with the memoirs. Sorry for the mix-up :) I also found a photograph of a balloon, and the caption read that the photograph had been taken at Antietam. I found the same photograph somewhere else, with the caption saying it had been taken at the battle of Fair Oaks... so there seems to be some confusion on the matter.

Soulfly
02-24-2015, 01:19 PM
would you mind sharing this photo ? confusion with sources/ places / origins is everywhere to be found :)

Aniallator
02-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Here :)

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=941&stc=1

GeorgeCrecy
02-25-2015, 01:32 AM
Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't fibbing.

Soulfly
02-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks for sharing the photo, i have seen this on Wikipedia and the source there says that the photo is showing "Prof. Lowe ascending in the Intrepid to observe the Battle of Fair Oaks"

Bravescot
02-25-2015, 08:30 AM
to observe the Battle of Fair Oaks"

Which took place during the Peninsula Campaign.

Hairywarhero
02-27-2015, 09:57 AM
OMG that balloon!