PDA

View Full Version : A Few Suggestions from a new guy

Abshire
02-18-2015, 06:19 PM
I just sort of stumbled on this by accident and I must say...I wish I knew about it sooner!

I am a reenactor, or at least I used to be till I moved out to Montana...and I mostly did 20th century reenacting but right before I moved out here I started to get into Civil War, where I did artillery with a 6 Pound gun. We were pretty hardcore on authenticity and while I am still pretty ignorant about a lot of the units, I am impressed with what I am seeing now as far as a drive to stick to authenticity.

So here are a few suggestions:

Logistics:It would be really awesome for there to be a logistics phase for the Generals and other officers to work out before they fight the next battle. Like how many canister shells to get, how much food, coffee, ammunition, powder, ect. This way between battles, NCOs could relay to the officers what the men need while in camp, and the officers can do their best to get the supplies. Items like coffee, tobacco, ect...they could serve to boost troop morale.

Digging in: The last event that I went too was Bentonville, and our group was given permission to sleep next to the original earth works dug by the federals at the battle. It would be really great if officers could give men the order to dig in and then the player could pull out a shovel, cup, plate...whatever...and help dig out a trench.

Morale/Player Health/Fatigue: I saw an earlier post where someone suggested having time spent in the camp between battles. Why not take the immersion a step further and have that time be used to help out your character. If there is to be any sort of character progression, it would be really awesome if the time spent between fighting could be used for eating, drinking coffee/water/whiskey, smoking pipes or chewing tobacco, resting, listening to music, talking to each other....this will in turn increase your morale, player health, decrease your fatigue...so in the next fight you are well rested, fed, and ready to fight. If you were wounded in the last night...and not mortally wounded...you could visit the field hospital and get patched up and checked out.

Picket Lines: To keep the camp time somewhat interesting...you could have people stand picket duty and occasionally run into skirmishes with a handful of soldiers at a time. You can rotate people on and off picket duty based on their need to rest...but sometimes there is no rest for the weary. It could also be a time for some interactions between the pickets. Having the Federals and Confederates within shouting range...could potentially do some trading...smack talking...trying to get one side to join the other.

Equipment degradation: This goes back to the logistics. If your character has been marching for long periods of time over vast distances...his shoes will wear out...likewise his uniform and other equipment might start to wear out. Would be cool to maybe see that, and add another layer of immersion. Fresh troops looking clean and tidy, and men who have been on campaign for a while look more nasty and worn. As gear wears out officers can try and meet their mens needs as possible.

I know some of these suggestions may have already been suggested, or they are a bit out there...just my 2 cents and I guess this is my way to maybe bring reenacting online since I cannot make it to events out here.

TrustyJam
02-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. Some of them are indeed quite a ways "out there" in terms of what's possible to pull off for a small indie team such as ours. We'll certainly discuss the topics brought up internally - and who knows, maybe one thing will lead to another... :)

Welcome to the forum!

- Trusty

Abshire
02-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Thanks for reading and at least considering.

Rithal
02-19-2015, 09:13 PM
While I do like just about all of your suggestions, it might be tough to include these features and still make the game "fun" for people who aren't as hardcore about realism and authenticity like some of us are. We may enjoy camp life and such, while others are just playing the game to actually participate in the battle. That balance can be hard to find.

Lackay
02-19-2015, 10:33 PM
While I do like just about all of your suggestions, it might be tough to include these features and still make the game "fun" for people who aren't as hardcore about realism and authenticity like some of us are. We may enjoy camp life and such, while others are just playing the game to actually participate in the battle. That balance can be hard to find.

I have to agree, although nice I would say most people are just looking for a big fight

Plus I would prefer if the developers spent there time fine-tuning everything else related to combat

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 12:54 AM
Plus I would prefer if the developers spent there time fine-tuning everything else related to combat

To add in all that realism would make the development time much longer and I agree with Lackay for the fine-tuning

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 01:41 PM
To add in all that realism would make the development time much longer and I agree with Lackay for the fine-tuning

Melee in first person better start practicing but i'm bad anyways

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Melee in first person better start practicing but i'm bad anyways

Melee in first person is going to be absolute chaos. I can see the TKs already.

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Melee in first person is going to be absolute chaos. I can see the TKs already.

Haha right click to block?

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Haha right click to block?

The mighty E key as well!

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 02:15 PM
The mighty E key as well!

Speak to Price about blocking ;)

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Speak to Price about blocking ;)

What about Chambering?

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 02:54 PM
What about Chambering?

I doubt chambering will be in the game

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 02:58 PM
How about hand to hand? There was always the change you should be disarmed in the melee so will there be a fist combat system

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 03:03 PM
How about hand to hand? There was always the change you should be disarmed in the melee so will there be a fist combat system

Sounds like a good idea!

Rithal
02-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Hand to hand could be interesting, and also the ability to beat someone over the head with your rifle could be fun :) If your bayonet is not attached, you should also be able to pull your bayonet out and use it as a dagger of sorts. I'm sure soldiers back then probably used whatever they had available to kill their enemy.

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 10:25 PM
I can see it now! A full regiment charging with their frying pans!

Hairywarhero
02-22-2015, 12:17 AM
I can see it now! A full regiment charging with their frying pans!

A frying pan?

Bravescot
02-22-2015, 12:20 AM
A frying pan?

Rithal did say anything

Rithal
02-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Rithal did say anything

XD I did didn't I. I implied something they might pick up off of the ground, like a rock, a pointy tree limb, and I suppose in the case of attacking an enemy encampment, frying pans XD

Bravescot
02-22-2015, 07:12 PM
XD I did didn't I. I implied something they might pick up off of the ground, like a rock, a pointy tree limb, and I suppose in the case of attacking an enemy encampment, frying pans XD

So say you're rifle is taken from you in the melee you pick up a rock and smash the guy's head in.

Rithal
02-23-2015, 12:06 AM
So say you're rifle is taken from you in the melee you pick up a rock and smash the guy's head in.

Well, sometimes its easier to kill someone with a rock to the face than with your rifle with a bayonet attached, so yes, theoretically you would pick up a rock and smash your enemy's head in until he was knocked out or dead.