PDA

View Full Version : 1. naval battles and 2. strategy part

MICHKA
02-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Hi guys,

I´m from germany and I´ve been a great fan of the american civil war time.
I really look forward if this game will be released.

Some ideas -
maybe not for the first version but maybe later...

I like to see naval battle in this nice game.

Why your guys bring not a tactic and strategy part in this game...
Maybe like the Total War Series or Scourge of War Series.
And the fight will be in realtime as a shooter...

If I got an early access of this game, I will spend my money :)

regards from germany

MICHKA

Hinkel
02-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Hallo Michka,
Willkommen in unserem Forum. Ich glaube wir kennen uns aus der ehemaligen total war zone? ;)

Anyway, there will be no naval battles at first, cause we are featureing the Maryland Campaign of 1862, in which no Naval battles happened.

Also, we are a very small team, so its not possible for us to include such a strategic part. But we dont know, what the future might bring, when our first game will be a great success ;)

Bravescot
02-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Why not have a campaign map though that the Generals can use to pick their next battle on. The Yank and Rebels lines can be shifted after battles and it will mean that if a battle is undecided they can come back the next day and fight it out again.

Aniallator
02-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Anyway, there will be no naval battles at first, cause we are featureing the Maryland Campaign of 1862, in which no Naval battles happened.

So... we may see naval engagements at a later stage?

Hinkel
02-22-2015, 02:40 PM
So... we may see naval engagements at a later stage?

Hehe its not planned at the moment. Maybe in a real faaar future.. :)

JohnACuster
02-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Personally, I am glad to not see naval battles. It would be to strange, and what purpose would they serve?

Rithal
02-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Why not have a campaign map though that the Generals can use to pick their next battle on. The Yank and Rebels lines can be shifted after battles and it will mean that if a battle is undecided they can come back the next day and fight it out again.

Considering this game features the Maryland Campaign of 1862, and only three battles (I think) at that, a campaign map would seem really unnecessary. If the game had six or seven maps across a broader period of time, then maybe i would suggest that, but a system like what Red Orchestra 2 uses would seem really repetitive and kind of pointless at this stage.

Referring to the line shifting and such after battles, you should elaborate more. It sounds interesting. Do you mean a system like what Ultimate General uses, where it assesses the points you have taken, and formulates a few options of attack in the next engagement?

Lackay
02-22-2015, 05:49 PM
I wouldnt look forward to getting murdered by this

Rithal
02-22-2015, 05:53 PM
I wouldnt look forward to getting murdered by this

Good point ^^

Bravescot
02-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Referring to the line shifting and such after battles, you should elaborate more. It sounds interesting. Do you mean a system like what Ultimate General uses, where it assesses the points you have taken, and formulates a few options of attack in the next engagement?

So what I was thinking was each battle has it's full sized maps available to the high command. At the start of the battle there are no battle lines, no emplacements etc. because both armies are moving into the field and deploying. The battle kicks off with say a two Brigades bumping into one another. On the map there are the objective point ideas we've discussed on another thread. If the battle is inconclusive in the first day then the armies retire and on the high command's maps the known battle lines are drawn up. With this the objective points might change so say one objective was deep behind union lines. It would move into a slightly fairer place but the Union could say score a point for it. If after multiple battles there as been no obvious victor then the point system could be referred to allowing for somebody to claim the field.

Rithal
02-22-2015, 11:16 PM
So what I was thinking was each battle has it's full sized maps available to the high command. At the start of the battle there are no battle lines, no emplacements etc. because both armies are moving into the field and deploying. The battle kicks off with say a two Brigades bumping into one another. On the map there are the objective point ideas we've discussed on another thread. If the battle is inconclusive in the first day then the armies retire and on the high command's maps the known battle lines are drawn up. With this the objective points might change so say one objective was deep behind union lines. It would move into a slightly fairer place but the Union could say score a point for it. If after multiple battles there as been no obvious victor then the point system could be referred to allowing for somebody to claim the field.

That sounds good. So, the battle starts, and each side is spawned in column formation. The highest ranking general on each side selects where to set up camp and where to position his troops. Maybe it can be kind of turn based. So each general submits his orders. Colonels or Brigadier Generals receive orders and move to that location with their men. From there, the general (in his tent looking at a map or out on the field surveying his lines) then submits specific orders to company/regiment/brigade officers. These officers either choose to follow the orders or not. After time runs ( Maybe 30 - 45 mins or even an hour) the battle ends. Everyone is then respawned back at their army's encampment and they can mess around at the camp playing games, cooking food for health, or whatever. This could be at night or in the wee hours of the morning. Soldiers could also choose to clean their weapons for a slight buff in the next battle or go refill their canteen (maybe water can be drunk from canteens during battle for a stamina boost). While this is happening, the general is setting up his first set of orders and his overall goals for the next day. This could last maybe 5 - 10 minutes. After this is over, soldiers spawn in column or line formation ready to move out with their respective units. Unit commanders receive their orders for the next day, and they carry them out.

Maps can have specific "victory points" where if these are captured and held, "points" are added to the side that holds it. After say, 5 of these rounds, the battle is over and the team with the most victory points wins the battle. Or you could do it with a combination of points and casualties. How does that sound?

Bravescot
02-22-2015, 11:41 PM
I like it yeah. This idea only counts towards the big battles. This would be way too much for the small skirmish battles.

I like the camp idea. The cleaning of the rifle and the canteen would be very interesting.

Rithal
02-23-2015, 12:49 AM
I like it yeah. This idea only counts towards the big battles. This would be way too much for the small skirmish battles.

I like the camp idea. The cleaning of the rifle and the canteen would be very interesting.

Yeah, I think it would really add to the immersion.

( I really hope the devs see my idea ;) )

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I think it would really add to the immersion.

( I really hope the devs see my idea ;) )

Our ideas ;)

Rithal
02-23-2015, 01:20 AM
Our ideas ;)

You know what I mean

Aniallator
02-23-2015, 05:43 AM
A naval element to WoR would be cool, so long as the vessels aren't much more than armed barges.

Rithal
02-23-2015, 07:12 AM
A naval element to WoR would be cool, so long as the vessels aren't much more than armed barges.

Maybe in a later project, but WoR features only the Maryland Campaign of 1862 ( as of now ;) ) which had no naval battles.

Soulfly
02-23-2015, 07:20 AM
Well personally i am not too much into such navy things, but maybe later for battles like Vicksburg little vessels would be nice. On the other hand i doubt that the coding effort would be worth it, since the resources will be needed in otherwise....i hope that one day WoR will picture complex campaigns, like the peninsula campaign, which can be played through with alternative endings. I hope the focus is more on land battles.

Aniallator
02-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Maybe in a later project, but WoR features only the Maryland Campaign of 1862 ( as of now ;) ) which had no naval battles.

I know :) Just dreaming about future campaigns!

MICHKA
02-23-2015, 10:31 AM
@Hinkel: Ja, wir kennen uns und haben früher auch TW:Empire im MP zusammen gespielt. Hab dir eine PN geschrieben... :)

Rithal
02-23-2015, 06:24 PM
@Hinkel: Ja, wir kennen uns und haben früher auch TW:Empire im MP zusammen gespielt. Hab dir eine PN geschrieben... :)

Ich kenne Sie nicht. Uns auf Sie.

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Arg! I do nae understand! :O

Devmc99
02-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Arg! I do nae understand! :O
Exactly this ^

Hairywarhero
02-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Much german :'(

Bravescot
02-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Foo ur ye aye daein'?

MICHKA
02-27-2015, 03:00 PM
back to topic ;)

Hairywarhero
03-01-2015, 08:59 AM
back to topic ;)

Sorry can't help it ze Germans are coming ;)

Rithal
03-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Sorry can't help it ze Germans are coming ;)

Hallo. Ich bin nicht ein Deutschlander. Ich komme aus Amerika! :D

Bravescot
03-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Hallo. Ich bin nicht ein Deutschlander. Ich komme aus Amerika! :D

A dinna unnerstan, A dinna ken! Eh?

Rithal
03-01-2015, 10:43 PM
A dinna unnerstan, A dinna ken! Eh?

I'm far from fluent in German, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't German... or any language for that matter ;)

Bravescot
03-02-2015, 09:53 AM
It English written with a Scottish accent. Ane leid is ne'er enough.

Aniallator
03-03-2015, 02:09 AM
That was a fascinating language called Google Translate... now back on topic...

Rithal
03-03-2015, 02:45 AM
That was a fascinating language called Google Translate... now back on topic...

What's that supposed to mean? XD

Aniallator
03-03-2015, 04:53 PM
I meant Bravescot's mumbo-jumbo, not your German, Rithal :)

Bravescot
03-03-2015, 06:07 PM
It's english spoken with a scottish accent you uncultured swine!

Rithal
03-03-2015, 11:29 PM
It's english spoken with a scottish accent you uncultured swine!

Its all foreign to me m80. :D

Aniallator
03-04-2015, 02:50 AM
It's gibberish.

Bravescot
03-04-2015, 07:17 AM
It's gibberish.

Foo ur ye aye daein'? = How are you?
A dinna unnerstan, A dinna ken! Eh? = I don't understand
Ane leid is ne'er enough = One language is never enough

That least I'm speaking English in the end.

TrustyJam
03-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Back on topic please.

- Trusty

Rithal
03-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Back on topic please.

- Trusty

I'm sorry Trusty. *Starts crying*. Anyways, I will be very interested to see how well tactics is implemented in the game. Anything special you can tell us Trusty?

fkhaller
03-09-2015, 07:02 PM

Wait this could totaly be like clanwars in world of tanks excepts more intense.

Bravescot
03-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Wait this could totaly be like clanwars in world of tanks excepts more intense.

Yeah....no. Nothing like them at all

Rithal
03-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Yeah....no. Nothing like them at all

There there Bravey. He is a Dev. Maybe he's on to something?

Bravescot
03-09-2015, 09:06 PM
There there Bravey. He is a Dev. Maybe he's on to something?

Dev....with out a kick ass avatar and an officer rank. Everything I know of the dev team of this forum is a lie.

Rithal
03-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Dev....with out a kick ass avatar and an officer rank. Everything I know of the dev team of this forum is a lie.

I'm not exactly sure, but he is still a dev, even if he's lacking an awesome profile picture XD

TrustyJam
03-09-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm not exactly sure, but he is still a dev, even if he's lacking an awesome profile picture XD

Newest addition to the team but already doing wonderful things. ;)

- Trusty

Bravescot
03-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Newest addition to the team but already doing wonderful things. ;)

- Trusty

Welcome to the forums then fkhaller where Rithal and I throw ideas back and forth at one another like monkeys fling poop, because we enjoy it.

Rithal
03-11-2015, 02:39 AM
Welcome to the forums then fkhaller where Rithal and I throw ideas back and forth at one another like monkeys fling poop, because we enjoy it.

I would be completely ok with being a monkey. Like, what's not to like about it? And yes. Good to have another great developer on the team. Welcome fkhaller!

Bravescot
03-11-2015, 07:21 AM
I would be completely ok with being a monkey. Like, what's not to like about it?

Exactly! Being a monkey would rock!

ChrisWithAKube
10-04-2015, 01:49 AM
I would totally love naval battles in the game and would totally donate for it in the kickstarter :) ; i think it could be used as river cruisers and armed barges and maybe even an iron clad or two; but i feel open water combat could look something like blackwake the new pirate game in pre-alpha (not promoting it, just refencing it), with how many different steps there are to loading how the ships take on shots with fragmentation, again wont expect too much if there is anything at all since the Maryland Campaign is 100% land focused

(but i would totally make a naval.....reg? crew? fleet? idk)

DomDowg
10-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Considering this game features the Maryland Campaign of 1862, and only three battles (I think) at that, a campaign map would seem really unnecessary. If the game had six or seven maps across a broader period of time, then maybe i would suggest that, but a system like what Red Orchestra 2 uses would seem really repetitive and kind of pointless at this stage.

Actually there was Harper's Ferry, Antietam, South Mountain, Winchester, Martinsburg, and Shepherd's town. And I am from Maryland I live in Maryland. Anne Arundel County. And these are the battles not including the sub battles at Harper's Ferry or South Mountain.

DomDowg
10-04-2015, 02:14 AM
I would totally love naval battles in the game and would totally donate for it in the kickstarter :) ; i think it could be used as river cruisers and armed barges and maybe even an iron clad or two; but i feel open water combat could look something like blackwake the new pirate game in pre-alpha (not promoting it, just refencing it), with how many different steps there are to loading how the ships take on shots with fragmentation, again wont expect too much if there is anything at all since the Maryland Campaign is 100% land focused

(but i would totally make a naval.....reg? crew? fleet? idk)

Actually the Monitor and the Merrimack was the Maryland Campaign Hampton's Roads

Rithal
10-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Actually there was Harper's Ferry, Antietam, South Mountain, Winchester, Martinsburg, and Shepherd's town. And I am from Maryland I live in Maryland. Anne Arundel County. And these are the battles not including the sub battles at Harper's Ferry or South Mountain.

I was mainly going off of what will be included in this game. I don't think Sheperdstown will be included, although I could be mistaken. It was basically just a skirmish right?

Anyway, the only battles that will be included that we know so far are Antietam, South Mountain, and Harper's Ferry. ;)