PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

Aniallator
02-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Hi!

I'm new to WoR, so I apologize in advance if my questions and ideas have been answered.

How will mêlée combat work? A simple LMB attack and RMB block, or, hopefully, something more complex? IMHO a Kingdom Come: Deliverance system would be, by far, the best. Blocking, feinting, slashing, stabbing... those are just a few methods of mêlée combat in Deliverance. Because mêlée combat will play such a large role in WoR, I think a similar system, with Civil War-era techniques, would be ideal.

Balloons. I'm not implying that I want them implemented, I'm just wondering... have they been considered? Balloons were used by both sides, and they saw use in the Maryland campaign, at Sharpsburg, for example. Balloons would be a valuable asset for generals, allowing them to observe the enemy deployment of forces. They'd be useful for future artillerymen such as myself, for locating targets. They'd be damned awesome to be in.

Lastly, rowboats. I'm assuming - and hoping - that you can't swim. So... what about having rowboats? Perhaps a few can be found in different areas of the map, such as pulled up onto a bank, or tied to a dock? Rowboats would allow rivers to be crossed in more ways than one, but in such small numbers that the importance of bridges would remain paramount. For example, a general could order all available rowboats to be collected. When they are, he could order a company of skirmishers to cross the river at so-and-so, and harass the enemy's rear.

That's all!

Rithal
02-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Well, I would enjoy melee to be more complex instead of just simple LMB and mouse direction, but frankly, anything more might be a little to difficult to be good with considering this will be an online game with hundreds of players in extremely close quarters unlike Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I hate say it, but ping will probably have some influence on who wins a duel, so the simpler the better in my opinion.

I think the balloons would be cool, if they were used in these battles that is...
>
The row boats seems like an interesting idea, as long as they won't be used by trolls like in NW >.> ( I really hate comparing this beautiful game to NW, but its really the only other game that is somewhat similar to what this is trying to be)

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Things would just become a team kill cluster **** if the melee system got too complicated. A simple but well smoothed out melee system would allow for a far more scary experience in melee as it would mean that the chance of being stabbed when you're not looking is much greater and would make officers think twice about head long charging into hand to hand combat.

Aniallator
02-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Ah, good point... perhaps, then, just having block, slash, and stab abilities would be best. Not too complex, not too simple. Anything more than the generic LMB attack!

Soulfly
02-23-2015, 08:34 AM
Personally i think that melee will not play a major role, 3 shots a minute will prove that even reaching the first enemy line is a challenge. But i would like to see a system which allows the use of the bayonet and the rifle butt

Hairywarhero
02-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Things would just become a team kill cluster **** if the melee system got too complicated. A simple but well smoothed out melee system would allow for a far more scary experience in melee as it would mean that the chance of being stabbed when you're not looking is much greater and would make officers think twice about head long charging into hand to hand combat.

Bravescot learn to Bydand more then long distance charges are nothing

Aniallator
02-23-2015, 10:26 AM
I worry because I'd like to play as an artilleryman, so were my battery ever attacked, I'd be defending with a Model 1832 sword :) Unless, of course, the enemy is kind enough to charge head-on. That or I manage to redeploy the battery über-fast.