PDA

View Full Version : Regiments

Brooklyn
02-28-2015, 04:22 AM
Hello,

First let me say I guess this is more of a question then a suggestion. Will historical regiments be in this game? If not I think it would be a good addition to the game mostly because of the wide rage of weapons and uniforms used by Regiments. From what I've seen it looks like you guys have the standard Federal blue and Confederate Grey and butternut uniforms that are most commonly though of when it comes the the Civil War also I see one Union zouaves unit (I think the 114th PA), but I really do hope that other units will be added so we see a wider rage of uniforms. Also I noticed that the two rifles I see are the 1853 Enfield and 1861 Springfield rifled muskets. However, during the war not all Regiments had such weapons for example the 69th NYVI carried smoothbore muskets (Springfield Model 1842?). This I think would change the way people fight in game since the smoothbore muskets didn't have the same range of the rifled muskets but fired a large caliber round.

Rithal
02-28-2015, 06:34 AM
Hello,

First let me say I guess this is more of a question then a suggestion. Will historical regiments be in this game? If not I think it would be a good addition to the game mostly because of the wide rage of weapons and uniforms used by Regiments. From what I've seen it looks like you guys have the standard Federal blue and Confederate Grey and butternut uniforms that are most commonly though of when it comes the the Civil War also I see one Union zouaves unit (I think the 114th PA), but I really do hope that other units will be added so we see a wider rage of uniforms. Also I noticed that the two rifles I see are the 1853 Enfield and 1861 Springfield rifled muskets. However, during the war not all Regiments had such weapons for example the 69th NYVI carried smoothbore muskets (Springfield Model 1842?). This I think would change the way people fight in game since the smoothbore muskets didn't have the same range of the rifled muskets but fired a large caliber round.

These are all good points, and I can assure you that these wonderful developers are on top of most, if not all of this.

The list of regiments to be included in the game can be found here. CSA - https://prezi.com/-wk1q66fd374/army-of-northern-virginia/
USA - https://prezi.com/ekkbj1xdoaay/army-of-the-potomac/
If those animations are buggy, you can also look here - http://www.hyperbear.com/acw/essays/acw-essays-antietam-oob.html

Union Zouaves were actually the first unit that was showcased to us in screenshots. 114th Pennsylvania ( not be confused with the 14th New York militia ;) )

A link to a thread that is specifically about the weapons included in the game can be found here - http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?260-Weapons-that-need-to-be-in-game

I would like to encourage everyone who has not already done so, to go back and look through the forums to see if their question or suggestion has already been discussed before starting an entirely new thread about it. If you are having trouble finding a thread about what you wish to post, you can easily use the search bar in the upper right corner to type in some key words. Its fine though. I forget its there half the time :D

GeorgeCrecy
03-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Hehe, I enjoy how SgtRithal here has been more of a help than I have in several threads in quickly and concisely answering these various question threads. Thank you for that!
Also, as he said above, you have absolutely nothing to worry about Brooklyn. We will have the historical regiments represented in the game, as well as many weapons to choose from that were documented as being present during the battle. Where we can, we will match up the correct weapons to the correct regiment, though this will also be part of the individual players' choice during the customization process.

Rithal
03-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Hehe, I enjoy how SgtRithal here has been more of a help than I have in several threads in quickly and concisely answering these various question threads. Thank you for that!
Also, as he said above, you have absolutely nothing to worry about Brooklyn. We will have the historical regiments represented in the game, as well as many weapons to choose from that were documented as being present during the battle. Where we can, we will match up the correct weapons to the correct regiment, though this will also be part of the individual players' choice during the customization process.

XD I'm just trying to help out some of the guys who are just now tuning in to this awesome development process.

Bravescot
03-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Rithal is the Demi-God of these threads xD the Devs are the Gods and we are but humble peasants beseeching them for their knowledge.

Rithal
03-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Rithal is the Demi-God of these threads xD the Devs are the Gods and we are but humble peasants beseeching them for their knowledge.

I wouldn't go that far. However.... I do like steak. Mmmm. Yes. I will accept an offering of medium-rare steak every weekday at noon.

Bravescot
03-01-2015, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't go that far. However.... I do like steak. Mmmm. Yes. I will accept an offering of medium-rare steak every weekday at noon.

The Rithal has spoken!

Brooklyn
03-04-2015, 02:21 AM
Well all I have to say this that's a lot of different regiments form both the Army of the Potomac and Army of Northern Virginia, but if the dev team could pull that off it would be amazing.

Rithal
03-04-2015, 02:24 AM
Well all I have to say this that's a lot of different regiments form both the Army of the Potomac and Army of Northern Virginia, but if the dev team could pull that off it would be amazing.

Indeed. My full confidence lies with the developers.

Bravescot
03-04-2015, 08:13 AM
The vast amount of colours they'd need to research, 2 for every regiment, will be very tough.

TrustyJam
03-04-2015, 08:22 AM
I need to clear this up. No, we're not going to visually support every single regiment that fought in the campaign of Maryland. I don't think any studio would be able to pull this off - at least not when going for the level of detail that we are. You'll be able to play as all of the regiments in name only.

- Trusty

Rithal
03-05-2015, 12:32 AM
I need to clear this up. No, we're not going to visually support every single regiment that fought in the campaign of Maryland. I don't think any studio would be able to pull this off - at least not when going for the level of detail that we are. You'll be able to play as all of the regiments in name only.

- Trusty

So all of the generic volunteer regiments will look essentially the same, just with different names? If that's the case, I'm fine with it.

Brooklyn
03-05-2015, 03:07 AM

- Trusty

Well that definitely makes since for units that wore the standard blue and grey, but there were many units that wore zouave uniforms of which not all were the same.

Rithal
03-05-2015, 03:55 AM
Well that definitely makes since for units that wore the standard blue and grey, but there were many units that wore zouave uniforms of which not all were the same.

I'm assuming the volunteer units will all have the standard blue for union with multiple variations for the south. Special units that had very well known unique uniforms will probably be visually represented though.

spe801
03-05-2015, 06:42 AM
I'm gonna hold my breath until the 11th Mississippi and 3rd Arkansas are added. My life is in your hands developers.

Bravescot
03-05-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm assuming the volunteer units will all have the standard blue for union with multiple variations for the south. Special units that had very well known unique uniforms will probably be visually represented though.

So hopefully we should see some bursts of colour from both sides as union Zouves rampage about the field of battle.

Rithal
03-05-2015, 06:05 PM
So hopefully we should see some bursts of colour from both sides as union Zouves rampage about the field of battle.

Indeed, and also some regiments equipped exclusively with hardee hats, and of course the different range of weapons. And think about all of the pretty colors you will see at the southern end of the battlefield :D

Bravescot
03-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Indeed, and also some regiments equipped exclusively with hardee hats, and of course the different range of weapons. And think about all of the pretty colors you will see at the southern end of the battlefield :D

The union's deep blue vs the south's 50 shades of grey xD

Brooklyn
03-06-2015, 02:54 AM

Well I could just imagine the range of different colored uniforms if this game was set during the First Battle of Bull Run/Manassas and not the Maryland Campaign. Also that fact that some Union troops were wearing Grey and some Confederates wearing Blue.

Rithal
03-06-2015, 04:44 AM
Well I could just imagine the range of different colored uniforms if this game was set during the First Battle of Bull Run/Manassas and not the Maryland Campaign. Also that fact that some Union troops were wearing Grey and some Confederates wearing Blue.

Indeed. It would have been a site to see. I sometimes wish I was alive during that time. As a spectator of course. I would be enjoying a nice midday picnic while observing the blood and death. Actually... I really like computers soooo. :D

Hinkel
03-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Indeed! But I love the colorfull look of Manassas, even if it was a very bloody battle.
I made a lovely screeny of my First Manassas mod, showing a Maine soldier in Grey and a Virginian in blue :)

Bravescot
03-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Indeed! But I love the colorfull look of Manassas, even if it was a very bloody battle.
I made a lovely screeny of my First Manassas mod, showing a Maine soldier in Grey and a Virginian in blue :)

Everything I know about blue and grey was a lie *mind blown*

Brooklyn
03-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Everything I know about blue and grey was a lie *mind blown*

7th New York State Militia.

Bravescot
03-06-2015, 11:05 PM
2nd New Hampshire
http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery/d/24764-1/2nd+New+Hampshire+2.jpg

Hinkel
03-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Indeed. The Union had so many great troops in grey in the first year of war.
Wisconsin = Grey uniforms too!

spe801
03-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Even up to Shiloh the uniform color situation wasn't so... uniformed. For instance the 9th Illinois wasn't sent in until their gray uniforms were replaced that morning. A lot of men went in with either a jacket that was too big or too small. Same situation for the Confederates. A lot of the Louisiana men still had their blue state issued jackets which caused an unfortunate incident. As Gibson's brigade a Confederate staff aide named Aaron Vertner started riding towards his brigade. He was carrying a captured Federal flag and wearing a federal hat. One of the Louisianians yelled "Here's your Yankee!" and Vertner and his horse were shot to pieces as a few companies opened up on them. Behind them, a Tennessee regiment saw this and seeing their blue jackets started firing on them inflicting around 100 casualties. Col. Henry Allen's (4th Louisiana) report stated that they feared friend more than foe for the rest of the battle. They were so worried about friendly fire that several of the men turned their jackets inside out and went in like that. They would rather go in with their bright jacket lining showing instead of the blue.

Rithal
03-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Even up to Shiloh the uniform color situation wasn't so... uniformed. For instance the 9th Illinois wasn't sent in until their gray uniforms were replaced that morning. A lot of men went in with either a jacket that was too big or too small. Same situation for the Confederates. A lot of the Louisiana men still had their blue state issued jackets which caused an unfortunate incident. As Gibson's brigade a Confederate staff aide named Aaron Vertner started riding towards his brigade. He was carrying a captured Federal flag and wearing a federal hat. One of the Louisianians yelled "Here's your Yankee!" and Vertner and his horse were shot to pieces as a few companies opened up on them. Behind them, a Tennessee regiment saw this and seeing their blue jackets started firing on them inflicting around 100 casualties. Col. Henry Allen's (4th Louisiana) report stated that they feared friend more than foe for the rest of the battle. They were so worried about friendly fire that several of the men turned their jackets inside out and went in like that. They would rather go in with their bright jacket lining showing instead of the blue.

Well that is very unfortunate indeed :/

spe801
03-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Just saying that it wasn't just Mannassas where confusion reigned control over the battlefield. There were also cases of Federal friendly fire.

Bravescot
03-07-2015, 11:37 PM
At Shiloh a makeshift brigade of the 2nd Texans and 2 other confederate regiments were ordered up the Confederate right flank. They were ordered to hold their fire. Their commander Colonel John Creed Moore is told that to his front is another Confederate Brigade. In actuality the men to his front are union soldiers from Indiana and Ohio, they open fire. The order was still not to fire on the troops before them thinking they were still friendly. One private returned the fire and a staff officer came up to him and treated to blow his brains out along with anybody else who fired back. The Confederates get shot down where they stand.

Rithal
03-08-2015, 01:17 AM
At Shiloh a makeshift brigade of the 2nd Texans and 2 other confederate regiments were ordered up the Confederate right flank. They were ordered to hold their fire. Their commander Colonel John Creed Moore is told that to his front is another Confederate Brigade. In actuality the men to his front are union soldiers from Indiana and Ohio, they open fire. The order was still not to fire on the troops before them thinking they were still friendly. One private returned the fire and a staff officer came up to him and treated to blow his brains out along with anybody else who fired back. The Confederates get shot down where they stand.

Well.... That is also very unfortunate. Amazing what one command can do.

spe801
03-08-2015, 01:32 AM
Here is the NPS (National Park Service) film for free on Youtube. It's pretty well done and was the start for the guys who made Civil War: The Untold Story. There are a few reenactors who are too fat/old/bad uniform, but there is a solid corps of authentics who save it. The best by far is Shaprsburg's NPS film which is also on Youtube

Rithal
03-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Here is the NPS (National Park Service) film for free on Youtube. It's pretty well done and was the start for the guys who made Civil War: The Untold Story. There are a few reenactors who are too fat/old/bad uniform, but there is a solid corps of authentics who save it. The best by far is Shaprsburg's NPS film which is also on Youtube

There were probably a few fat old guys. Of course by the end of the war they probably turned into skinny old guys XD