PDA

View Full Version : 01-03-2017 thirty-fourth field report: User interface

TrustyJam
03-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Field report 34: User interface posted 01-03-2017 CLICK TO VIEW (https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport34)

​- Trusty

Lance Rawlings
03-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Awesome!!!! Great work guys! So hyped

JmCraz8
03-01-2017, 04:39 PM
I can't stop drooling lol wow oh wow you guys are amazing keep up the incredible work!!

Hinkel
03-01-2017, 04:42 PM
For those, who want to have a closer look to the interface. Here you have them in full screen ;)

-Mitchell-
03-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Can't wait! Great work as always!

MadWolf
03-01-2017, 04:48 PM
This is Awesome! I really like it, Great work guys.
Go Bluebellys!!

michaelsmithern
03-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Really nice, I'm glad it looks much better, and the UI for the main menu is so much better looking. everything for the skirmishes looks better than i'd imagined, so i'd say you've done a fairly decent job from what we've seen. although i will expect some bugs and glitches here or there on the first week of skirmishes, i'm 100% sure it will be an enjoyable experience and can't wait to try it out

Edit: i also like how in the last picture it says for the CSA Regiment1 Wounded: 9999, Dead: 9999, and in the description above it, it says there were few casualties sustained :)

Lance Rawlings
03-01-2017, 05:37 PM
I think its hilarious that Harriet Beecher Stowe is a Cpl in the Confederate Army ;)

Bravescot
03-01-2017, 05:38 PM
What does the "MSGT" stand for on the 4th image?

michaelsmithern
03-01-2017, 05:46 PM
What does the "MSGT" stand for on the 4th image?

i would say Master Sergeant, but that rank didn't exist at the time... so my best guess is Sergeant Major

Joshua Chamberlain
03-01-2017, 06:26 PM
took you this long to do some UI really

TrustyJam
03-01-2017, 06:32 PM

I'm sorry, are you a UI artist, UI Engineer or other kind of UI expert by any chance?

Just wondering on what basis you're judging the pace of the UI development we've presented to you. It has been one of the quickest complete overhauls yet as a matter of fact.

- Trusty

Profender
03-01-2017, 06:36 PM
I'm sorry, are you a UI artist, UI Engineer or other kind of UI expert by any chance?

Just wondering on what basis you're judging the pace of the UI development we've presented to you. It has been one of the quickest complete overhauls yet as a matter of fact.

- Trusty

Your doing a wonderfull job!

WillyMcBride
03-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Hello all,

I just finished reading the new Field Report, and let me tell you that new UI looks amazing! It presents itself clearly and concisely, while still providing the player with the details that he/she needs. I did however have a question or two.

First I saw, in one of the screenshots, a list of regiments containing a total of 42 players on the Confederate side. Does this hint to us as backers that that there will be more than 32 people on a team, or even in a match? I ask this also because I saw multiple spawn points for a single team, and this got me thinking that if there were only 16 people on a team, why would they not all spawn (by default) in the same location? It would only make sense to me that there would be multiple spawn locations if the developers were expecting to have larger teams in the Skirmish matches.

My second and final question was related to the vague release date. To begin with I should state that I have no problem with a vague release date, however "early 2017" is quickly coming to a close, is it not? Summer is right around the corner for me here in Canada, and that usually marks the middle of 2017. My question is that, when you (the developers) say that you want to release the skirmishes in "early 2017" what is the latest month that we can expect it in?

Thank you so much! I am greatly looking forward to the Skirmish Phase.

Willy McBride

TrustyJam
03-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Hello all,

I just finished reading the new Field Report, and let me tell you that new UI looks amazing! It presents itself clearly and concisely, while still providing the player with the details that he/she needs. I did however have a question or two.

First I saw, in one of the screenshots, a list of regiments containing a total of 42 players on the Confederate side. Does this hint to us as backers that that there will be more than 32 people on a team, or even in a match? I ask this also because I saw multiple spawn points for a single team, and this got me thinking that if there were only 16 people on a team, why would they not all spawn (by default) in the same location? It would only make sense to me that there would be multiple spawn locations if the developers were expecting to have larger teams in the Skirmish matches.

My second and final question was related to the vague release date. To begin with I should state that I have no problem with a vague release date, however "early 2017" is quickly coming to a close, is it not? Summer is right around the corner for me here in Canada, and that usually marks the middle of 2017. My question is that, when you (the developers) say that you want to release the skirmishes in "early 2017" what is the latest month that we can expect it in?

Thank you so much! I am greatly looking forward to the Skirmish Phase.

Willy McBride

Thanks. :)

Early 2017 is indeed drawing to its end. We have no closer estimate than that so it would be silly of me to try and give you a clearer answer. I wouldn't take the UI screenshots quite so litteral. They are representional of the work done by the UI artist and not taken from, say, live matches.

- Trusty

WillyMcBride
03-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Thanks. :)

Early 2017 is indeed drawing to its end. We have no closer estimate than that so it would be silly of me to try and give you a clearer answer. I wouldn't take the UI screenshots quite so litteral. They are representional of the work done by the UI artist and not taken from, say, live matches.

- Trusty

Thank you for your timely response, I appreciate it! I can understand you not wanting to give an estimated month for release (or planned release), but I thank you for telling me that you are aware that It's quickly becoming mid-2017! I was simply nervous that what I thought was early 2017 would be much different than your early 2017.

That makes sense that the UI is more of a representation than what we will see upon the Skirmish's release, Though it did get my hopes up lol!

Thank you again,

Willy McBride

yoyo8346
03-01-2017, 06:54 PM

Being a smart ass to the developers is not going to do anything except make you look bad, guy. Best keep it to yourself next time.

--

The UI looks so much better. It's really coming together. :)

A. P. Hill
03-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Congrats dev team! Looking really smart!

LoneMerc
03-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Being a smart ass to the developers is not going to do anything except make you look bad, guy. Best keep it to yourself next time.

--

Yankee..Figures.:p

Volunteer
03-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Great to read another FR. UI looks true to the period. My problem is I still haven't figured whether I'm Yankee or a Southern Gentleman ....

Lyman Trumbull
03-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Definitely liking the look of the new UI, high praise to the artists.

michaelsmithern
03-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Great to read another FR. UI looks true to the period. My problem is I still haven't figured whether I'm Yankee or a Southern Gentleman ....

Well since the North isn't fighting for "slavery"(not that they did in the first place) you can fight to Unite the Nation under one banner.

Or you can fight to preserve states rights and protect the autonomous south...

Leifr
03-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Excellent work.
I wonder if perhaps you have fixed the problem of graphical settings not sticking? And also, I noted in the spawn selection window that there is an icon labeled "Point of Contention" - is this dynamic?

A. P. Hill
03-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Guys,

Now that I'm home and have a better opportunity to examine Hinkle's screen shots of the UI, I have a question. Bearing in mind that this is still a work in progress ... But if a flag bearer is going to be armed he's going to have quite a bit of work to do isn't he? Holding the flag and all, and yet expected to carry a rifle to the field as well? :D

Lance Rawlings
03-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Guys,

Now that I'm home and have a better opportunity to examine Hinkle's screen shots of the UI, I have a question. Bearing in mind that this is still a work in progress ... But if a flag bearer is going to be armed he's going to have quite a bit of work to do isn't he? Holding the flag and all, and yet expected to carry a rifle to the field as well? :D

The flag bearer would not have been armed with a rifle. If armed at all, it would have been with a revolver or short sword I believe. That's also the purpose of the color guard, to protect the colors. I can't wait to see our colors waving across the field and hauling down the Union Banner!

A. P. Hill
03-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Yes, I know that. :D
Just saying and pointing out a possible early release bugaboo.

TrustyJam
03-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Again, the UI shots shouldn't be studied in minute details (such as if the CSA sharpshooters in question were wielding Lorenz rifles for instance). The flag bearer will not be armed. If you look closely you'll see that the flag bearer portrait is identical to the private one. This is because we want to fix the flags before taking flag bearer specific portraits.

- Trusty

Jasin210
03-02-2017, 12:20 AM
Omg! I'm so hyped! This looks amazing!!!

Kyle422
03-02-2017, 12:50 AM

Dude you have been posting really pointless stuff lately. If you want to throw insults like this next time you can have some time off the forums. here is your warning.

- Kyle

TrustyJam
03-02-2017, 01:00 AM
Enough with the personal vendetta please.

People are naturally allowed to post critical questions on the forum (as long as they are prepared to answer some sent their way too) - nothing but praise is nice and all but it isn't particularly well suited as feedback. :)

- Trusty

Saris
03-02-2017, 01:08 AM
Awesome work! Hype has gotten real now!

J.Stockton
03-02-2017, 02:50 AM
Looking great.

Can't wait to get our hands on it.

JaegerCoyote
03-02-2017, 04:47 AM
Looking good

Soulfly
03-02-2017, 07:13 AM
truly amazing work, i am really happy to see War of Rights in its current state. Outstanding guys !

1st LT. Martin T.
03-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Looks beautiful guys! Thanks for the update!

WaffleAfflux
03-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Oh, so this is the reason why we didn't get any new field reports for quite a long time?

However, great work devs! I'm sure you guys can make it, i believe in this. ;)

James Kipler
03-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Amazing job! The new UI looks great. You guys are doing a phenomenal job :)

Jordon Brooker
03-04-2017, 09:57 AM
This looks beautiful.

Grant97
03-04-2017, 03:35 PM
That's amazing! :D

Locke1740
03-06-2017, 01:58 AM
Love it!

Jordon Brooker
03-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Quick questions,

Are faces going to be selectable or randomly selected on spawn?

Hinkel
03-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Quick questions,

Are faces going to be selectable or randomly selected on spawn?

It will be random, same for the uniforms.

Character creation will be added at a later stage.

Jordon Brooker
03-06-2017, 10:14 AM
It will be random, same for the uniforms.

Character creation will be added at a later stage.

Good to know that it's a planned feature.

I'm guessing, from the screenshots, rank insignia will be selectable first?

Hinkel
03-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Good to know that it's a planned feature.

I'm guessing, from the screenshots, rank insignia will be selectable first?

Yes, you will be able to choose the rank for your NCO or Officer :)

Jordon Brooker
03-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Yes, you will be able to choose the rank for your NCO or Officer :)

Perfect, cheers for the reply Hinkel.

thejakimo
03-07-2017, 03:09 AM
Fantastic looking work guys, very excited for this next release!

James Dixon
03-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Sexy as heck!

Legion
03-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Any reason why the Lorenz range is stated as 117 yards? Is this just a placeholder?

Hinkel
03-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Any reason why the Lorenz range is stated as 117 yards? Is this just a placeholder?

Its a placeholder ;)

thomas aagaard
03-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Hope it is because the many many issued with accurate shooting with the Lorenz...

When issued to the Austrian army with the correct cartridges it got comparable accuracy to the Springfield and a higher muzzle velocity.
This makes it easier to use, since range estimation matters less.

The problem with their use during the civil war is many.

1. the sights was in Austrian military steps and not yards, so if the game show us the number in yards, they will be strange numbers.

2. the 54 cal cartridges issued was not the same as the 54 cal lorenz bullet the weapon is designed for and the amount of powder is not the same as in the Austrian cartridges.
So the sights are not zeroed to the cartridges used.

3. Many Lorenz was reboerd to 58cal. This was often done badly. And now we got sights that is not even for the used cal. The result is that using the weapon at long range would be pretty useless, when you basically got no idea about where the bullet will hit.

I sure hope this will be correctly simulated in the game. (by basically giving us a weapon where the range set on sights don't tell us where the bullet hits)

Ted
03-13-2017, 07:58 PM
As soon as I turn 18 in ten days, I'll get myself paypal and FEED YOU MY MONEY.

The interface looks great. Anyways, most important for me is that you've made flags really important and supported the regimental idea of the game at the same time. I somehow fear noobs and trolls running around with flags at weird positions though. I'll make a thread on that matter in the appropriate section.

Alexander Greene
03-14-2017, 03:21 PM
OMG great work!!! Looks so beautiful...