PDA

View Full Version : New player, french speaking bataillon, sid meier's Gettysburg?

Y.B
03-23-2017, 07:14 AM
:)

Greetings Gentlemen,
First i'm new here, to say hello and I do believe in this game for sure.

Then I saw the 18th Louisiana is a French speaking bataillon and was wondering if there is such french company in the Union army (on this game)? If we have to choose...I do want to fight for southern rights but when I was a kid I was in love with the blue uniform and kepi :cool:...so Who pay the most here?!Hehe

I come from Switzerland, any Swiss here ?? (Frenchies are welcome even if I dont like them :rolleyes:) Or am I the first representative of my country?? :)

Finally a last thing (this is my thread so I do what I want right? :D ) I fought maybe between 2000-2006 on Sid meier's Gettysburg and was playing multiplayer on "gamespy". I do remember G.A.R Hancock, Matt, GSC Longstreet, GSC Lee, GSC John Bell Hood, etc. I was on GSC (Glorious Sons of Confederacy) and if you guys or anyone else from gamespy are here, I will be happy to hear from you.

Best Regards

JaegerCoyote
03-23-2017, 08:09 AM
39th New York is one i know of, it had a company with Swiss in it, if I remember. They were at Harper's Ferry.

Edit: Yep, they had a french and a swiss company each.

Joshua Chamberlain
03-23-2017, 03:36 PM
A lot of Louisiana units spoke French bit the only union regiment I know was the 44th new york

Y.B
03-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Thanks gents for the nice informations. But I was asking in the game :)

FrisDrim
03-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Salut ! un petit article que j'avais publié sur le sujet il n'y a pas si longtemps, j'espère que cela va t'aider ! (Je te l'ai laissé en Anglais, tu as l'air de maitriser ;) )

The most famous French-speaking units in the North

Again New York, the largest port of immigration for Europe, has the largest number of Francophone units. The 55th Volunteer Regiment of New York commonly called the Lafayette Guards, existed since 1824 and owned 6 French and 4 American companies; But at Lincoln's call to arms, the regiment took too long to be "operational" through the fault of his colonel. The French already present went to join other companies more eager to go to battle. Thus the 14th regiment of Brooklyn and the 62nd regiment of volunteers of New York received a reinforcing company coming from the 55th and therefore francophones. Finally the 55th also left but to compensate the defections, one had to appeal to a recruitment that was not exclusively French. Régis de Trobriand, a French aristocrat, was elected Colonel of the 55th on the day of the battle of Bull Run. Under his impetus, the regiment gained in strength and recovered part of its first volunteers left in other units. Supported financially by the francophone minority for his clothing, the regiment finally passed on August 28, 1861 under federal service for a duration of three years.

Still in New York in the multicultural unit: the 39th regiment of volunteers or the guards of Garibaldi, there was a French company that was equipped, like the rest of the regiment, with the beautiful outfit of the Italian Bersaglieri. The 53rd regiment of the Zouaves, better known under the name of Zouaves d'Epineuil, was formed at Brooklyn in August 1861 by Colonel Lionel D'Epineuil. This last former officer of the French army gave to his unit a reply of the holding of the 6th regiment of French Zouave. Attracted by this French specificity, the regiment attracted other cadres from the French army giving a not inconsiderable experience to unity. Another peculiarity, in addition to its members, francophones, or of French origin, the regiment welcomed a company of Indians of the reserve of Tusca Rora. Although initially recruited for a three-year service, the regiment suffered internal disturbances and was dissolved in 1862, its members repatriated to different units such as the 132nd or 162nd regiments of New York.

The unit of the "Lost Children" was an independent battalion of New York raised by Colonel Felix Confort, former captain of the French army. The name "Lost Children" refers to small detachments used in perilous missions for the assault of the breaches of the besieged towns and certainly stems from the experience of the Crimean War of its colonel. The unit was assigned to the 18th Corps and participated in operations at Charleston near Morris Island. The unit consisted of 6 companies was mainly Franco-Germanic. Their outfit was that of French dark blue hunters with yellow daffodil cladding. A shako resembling the French model and wide pants. A beautiful outfit made clear the French influence of unity and that changed the eternal uniforms of Zouaves.

Cordially,
FrisDrim

JaegerCoyote
03-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Thanks gents for the nice informations. But I was asking in the game :)

The 39th NY will be in game, they were at Harper's Ferry during the Maryland Campaign.

yoyo8346
03-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Le 18eLA est la seule compagnie français qui est actif a mon memoir.

Jordon Brooker
03-23-2017, 05:25 PM
I think Y.B is asking if there's any active Union French-Speaking Companies?

JaegerCoyote
03-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Oh, not that know of.

Lance Rawlings
03-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Welcome to War of Rights! You could always make your own French company on the Federal side, but us on the Southern side are so much more fun ;) Best of luck!

Cool profile pic by the way.

Y.B
03-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Cool profile pic by the way.

Thank you Sir.
I tried to make something cool :)

Lance Rawlings
03-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Thank you Sir.
I tried to make something cool :)

You're welcome, and you did!

FrisDrim
03-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Salut !
En effet il n'y a aucun régiment français du coté fédéral sur le jeu :\ Mais il reste le 18thLA coté Sud.

Scrouch
05-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Il faudrait qu'ils rajoutent le 55th NY et puis voilà :D