PDA

View Full Version : Enlistment Papers

Johann Günderson
04-19-2017, 10:46 PM
I believe in your enlistment paper you should have an option to change your characters birth location to a different nation.
When filling it out
born in Svortland in the State of Norway it looks pretty funny. Maybe an drop down option for State or Nation of.

TrustyJam
04-19-2017, 10:55 PM
I believe in your enlistment paper you should have an option to change your characters birth location to a different nation.
When filling it out it looks pretty funny. Maybe an drop down option for State or Nation of.

We researched this when creating the enlistment papers and found several surviving enlistment papers for immigrants, many with no alterations (thus forcing them to fill in a state even though they are immigrants).

- Trusty

A. P. Hill
04-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Generally those, or that state became the state they landed in when they debarked from the ocean liner they just got off of.

Johann Günderson
04-19-2017, 11:39 PM
That's pretty interesting I must say, thanks guys.

Neal
04-20-2017, 12:07 AM
There were a lot of immigrants who fought.

I am aware of plenty of Irish units as well as German and even an Italian unit.

Were there any Scandinavian units? Swedish, Norwegian?

The Union Army in particular was incredibly diverse with orders being given in a host of languages.

Babylonian army, for sure IMHO. :rolleyes:

TrustyJam
04-20-2017, 12:09 AM

The Union Army in particular was incredibly diverse with orders being given in a host of languages.

Don't forget the Danes! :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15th_Wisconsin_Volunteer_Regiment

- Trusty

michaelsmithern
04-20-2017, 12:10 AM

well i know some Minnesotan Units had Scandinavian speaking companies/battalions. besides that i haven't looked that far into the history of Scandinavian Civil War Units

TrustyJam
04-20-2017, 12:19 AM
This painting (which you've all probably seen before) was painted by a Norwegian painter (educated in Copenhagen, Denmark), danish war veteran and eventually the lieutenant colonel of the 145th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War, Ole Peter Hansen Balling:

I was quite surprised when I learned that. :P

- Trusty

A. P. Hill
04-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Don't forget the Danes! :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15th_Wisconsin_Volunteer_Regiment

- Trusty

Good lord yes, how could we not forget the Danes. :)

JaegerCoyote
04-20-2017, 10:20 AM
The Colonel of the 20th New York Infantry during and after the Maryland Campaign was Swedish, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_von_Vegesack

TrustyJam
04-20-2017, 10:36 AM
The Colonel of the 20th New York Infantry during and after the Maryland Campaign was Swedish, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_von_Vegesack

Cool! :) I think this is the highest ranking Dane of the war: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=92630347

- Trusty

Maximus Decimus Meridius
04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Ha a swedish lead a german Unit ;)

TrustyJam
04-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Ha a swedish lead a german Unit ;)

To be fair his name is sounding more german to me than swedish. :P

- Trusty

Stalin
04-20-2017, 03:47 PM
If you look at the definition of State and nation, they aren't all that different and the terms can most of the time be used interchangeably, therefore making it not needed to change the terminology, as weird as that may seem.
As as example, people can call the nations of Europe the "states of Europe"

State definition
a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government

Nation definition
a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.

Locke1740
04-21-2017, 10:08 PM
I was surprised when i found out about one of my ancestors commanders in the 7th SC Infantry Battalion, Lt. Col. James Henry Rion, was originally from Quebec, Canada. He was born there in 1835 and immigrated to Winnsboro, SC in 1853. He would eventually lead the 7th SC Bn and would be wounded during the Siege of Morris Island on September 3, 1863. He would recover in time for the very end of the war when he was given command of a consolidated unit called Rion's Regiment and promoted to Colonel. He would die in Winnsboro in 1886.

Kyle422
04-22-2017, 11:59 PM

The 69th Pennsylvania was pretty much made entirely out of Irish immigrants. If you know anything about the Irish coming to North America they are known as the forgotten slaves and were some of the first slaves to land in the "new world" they were treated the same as African Americans at the time of the civil war they were spit on promised things by the government which they did not deliver on for the most part. But you get what I'm trying to say

Johann Günderson
04-23-2017, 12:43 AM
Trusty since you mentioned the 15th Wisconsin here are two of my ancestors who faught in the regiment.