PDA

View Full Version : 25th or 31st VA Infantry mustering....interest?

dmurray6
05-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Greetings folks,

I've been a member of the forums for a while now, and have been monitoring the mustering of companies through our various mechanisms (i.e. posting on the forums, then the creation of the company tool.....). I have noticed that there has currently been no mustering for either the 25th or 31st Virginia Infantry. I have an interest in forming a Company in one or both of these Regiments as they are the two infantry Regiments in which my ancestors enlisted.

I am curious if there are any other members of the forum who had ancestors from western Virginia (at the time of the Civil War, this would also include the counties that would become West Virginia). I am primarily interested in finding members who are interested in Co. D, 25th VA Infantry or Co. E, 31st VA Infantry, the Highland Rangers and The Highland County Highlanders, respectively. But I'd be happy with any Company in either of those two Regiments. These would primarily include citizens from Highland County, VA, but could also have included men from Bath, Pocahontas, and Pendleton Counties.

The 25th was also referred to as Heck's Regiment and the 31st was known as "The Bloody 31st" or "Hoffman's Army".

I'm trying to gauge if there is any interest in this region, as both Regiments were present during the Maryland Campaign of 1862 and should be included in-game.

If you'd have an interest in the region please reply to the thread or send me a PM.

Thanks

A. P. Hill
05-05-2017, 02:42 AM
Congrats!

Take your pick.

Welcome to the CSA!

dmurray6
05-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Congrats!

Take your pick.

Welcome to the CSA!

Thanks A.P., but if I can't find any willing participants that may have had relatives in one or both of those regiments, I fear my vision of how I was hoping to enjoy WoR may very well be impeded. I'm sure I can catch on with another group, but the passion and enjoyment just might not be the same as I was hoping.

On a side note, I was successful in getting a reenactor to carry my Great Great Grandfathers billfold back into the Battle of McDowell yesterday! He was really excited and he said honored to have done so. He explained that the soldiers of the time would have likely had their billfolds rolled into their bedroll when going into battle. So he did the same for my heirloom before he went into the reenactment. I also provided him with a replica of the billfold for his keeping, for doing me the honor. It was a neat moment.

Still looking for like-minded participants who would like to take part in either 1st Co. D, or 2nd Co. F, 25th VA Inf or Co. E, 31st VA Inf. Both regiments served in the Army of the Northwest prior to the Maryland Campaign. By the fall of 1862, both Regiments had been instituted into the Army of Northern Virginia.

dmurray6
05-11-2017, 04:11 PM
To those who feel left out....

Still looking for like-minded participants who would like to take part in either 1st Co. D, or 2nd Co. F, 25th VA Inf or Co. E, 31st VA Inf. Both regiments served in the Army of the Northwest prior to the Maryland Campaign. By the fall of 1862, both Regiments had been instituted into the Army of Northern Virginia. Primary participation at Sharpsburg would concentrate mostly around the West Woods and the Dunker Church.

Cash63
05-31-2017, 12:09 AM
my great great great was with the 31st Company B that's him in my avatar. I would be very interested in starting the 31st

dmurray6
05-31-2017, 01:51 AM
my great great great was with the 31st Company B that's him in my avatar. I would be very interested in starting the 31st

Nice! I recognize the photo, that's Elijah Leach. What part of Virginia was he from? Are you still in that same area?

Cash63
05-31-2017, 02:28 AM
He was from Pendleton County now West Virginia. I live in the Shenandoah valley

dmurray6
05-31-2017, 05:08 AM
He was from Pendleton County now West Virginia. I live in the Shenandoah valley

Very cool. I was just down in McDowell for the reenactment the beginning of May. My great great grandfather was in the 31st, be it for a short period, and then served as the CSA postmaster in Monterey starting Jan 1864.

Thanks for your interest in the region and the regiment, lets see how many more we can muster. :) If you havent noticed, Im from MD, but have spent my whole life coming down to the valley to visit family.

Oh, I recognized the picture of Elijah from the one in the Highland County Historical Society museum in McDowell, in case youve never been.

brentcarter
06-19-2017, 12:44 AM
How is it going setting up your company? Did you go with the 31st ?

dmurray6
06-19-2017, 01:09 AM
How is it going setting up your company? Did you go with the 31st ?

Well the steam name i use in game has the 25th Va Infantry tag in the name, b/c my great great grand uncle was present in the west woods, my great great grandfather was already in and out of the 31st by Sept '62. So i would likely go 25th if it came down to ancestral and historical accuracy. :)

Caracofe71
07-01-2018, 06:26 AM
Hello, 1st post brand new member. Saw this post when I was researching the 25th online. One of my great Uncles was Capt. Of Co. D 25th, (Highland Rangers) Capt. George M. Kiracofe. I have a very long list of other ancestors in the Army of N. VA. as well. Mostly 5th Inf., some 52nd Inf, 31st Inf. 18th Cav, 14th Cav and even a couple who rode with Captain John McNeils Rangers.