PDA

View Full Version : Modding and mapping

Zahari
03-31-2015, 09:51 PM
What about modding ? It will be possible or not and will you give us any tools for this ? One more question. What about mapping ? Will you give us any tools for this staff?

Rithal
03-31-2015, 10:52 PM
What about modding ? It will be possible or not and will you give us any tools for this ? One more question. What about mapping ? Will you give us any tools for this staff?

I would love modding tools, however if this is put in place, many might try to mod this into a new Napoleonic Wars centered around the Napoleonic era, except using this engine and WoR game mechanics. I see other problems as well. Mapping would be great to allow anyone to easily recreate any battle of the war. I also see a problem with this though, if the developers plan on developing new campaigns ect.

Bravescot
03-31-2015, 11:41 PM
Only reason I'd want to mod is to try and make a Crimea mod.

Zahari
04-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Mapping would be nice if we want to make tournaments.

Soulfly
04-01-2015, 08:10 AM
May i express my tentative doubts regarding mapping ? I am not familiar with the engine and how "mod-friendly" the game will be but i think it will not be as "easy" as in other games...like the Source Engine, but of course i hope someone will prove me otherwise

Hinkel
04-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Well, mapping should be possible, if you are using official CryEngine tools. Problem will be to get access to the WoR mapping props :)
.. but you have to be aware that mapping might be a hard job. The Antietam Map for example is in work since 2 1/2 years (pretty sure 2000+ working hours) and its still not ready. If you are doing a non historical map, you might get something good in 100-200 working hours. It really depends on the mapper :)

Zahari
04-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Cry engine mapping tools are free to use ? In free version of Cry engine u can make map in 2 h but i mean very very simple map. Just some terrain and staff for tourney. Ofc is someone is new to it, it will take much more time. And if someone want to make map for battle it will take many many hours probably :c like Hinkel said.

Rithal
04-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Well, mapping should be possible, if you are using official CryEngine tools. Problem will be to get access to the WoR mapping props :)
.. but you have to be aware that mapping might be a hard job. The Antietam Map for example is in work since 2 1/2 years (pretty sure 2000+ working hours) and its still not ready. If you are doing a non historical map, you might get something good in 100-200 working hours. It really depends on the mapper :)

Delivering good news. :D Hinkel (and George ;) ), if I were a woman, I might consider marrying you XD <3

TrustyJam
04-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Delivering good news. :D George, if I were a woman, I might consider marrying you XD <3

Might want to get his name straight first then. ;)

- Trusty

Rithal
04-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Might want to get his name straight first then. ;)

- Trusty

Yeah. Just got done reading what George was saying about networking, then hopped right over here and just assumed he also posted this. My bad. Still love ya Georgey. :D

GeorgeCrecy
04-01-2015, 11:43 PM
I will forgive you for now Rithal. But if this continues to the big day, you can consider us through!!!

:p

Rithal
04-02-2015, 12:12 AM
I will forgive you for now Rithal. But if this continues to the big day, you can consider us through!!!

:p

D: Take it back!

Bravescot
04-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Fight fight fight fight! Kiss kiss kiss kiss!

Ry1459
04-02-2015, 12:34 AM
D: Take it back!

https://youtu.be/URgQFsyVSEk?t=58s

Furrnox
04-05-2015, 02:24 AM
Speaking of maps. How many maps will there be? (In an estimate of course)

Rithal
04-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Speaking of maps. How many maps will there be? (In an estimate of course)

Well, you have Harper's Ferry, Antietam (of course), and I think South Mountain. I'm sure its somewhere on the forums and/or in the field reports.

GeorgeCrecy
04-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Indeed, there are (currently) the three major battles of the Maryland Campaign, including Harper's Ferry, South Mountain, and Antietam.

Furrnox
04-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Will there be smaller minor maps as well?

Sgt-Frede
04-05-2015, 07:39 PM

There will be different gamemodes.
One which focuses more in a specific area on one of the maps. You can read about it on the features page (http://warofrights.com/Features). :)

Hinkel
04-05-2015, 07:59 PM

You don't need smaller minor maps.
A map in War of Rights consists of 200-300 bigger NW maps for example. So you can choose a small area in the skirmish game-mode, to fight on a battlefield with the size of 10 NW maps :)

Rithal
04-06-2015, 04:43 AM
You don't need smaller minor maps.
A map in War of Rights consists of 200-300 bigger NW maps for example. So you can choose a small area in the skirmish game-mode, to fight on a battlefield with the size of 10 NW maps :)

Sounds like a win-win to me. You have the capability to play huge battles, yet you can always lower the scale and fight some skirmishes.

Soulfly
04-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Indeed its a nice feature, but sadly and due to the complexity of the engine and the game we will not have that many "custom" maps like in some Source engine games.

Rithal
04-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Indeed its a nice feature, but sadly and due to the complexity of the engine and the game we will not have that many "custom" maps like in some Source engine games.

Honestly, I'm fine with that. We are bound to see many more maps from these gentlemen in the future. I hope that one day we can see a fully fledged AAA Civil War title that spans across all major battles of the way, as well as a campaign mode and some sort of naval battle. These are all hopes for the far future of course :)

Soulfly
04-08-2015, 05:57 AM
Honestly, I'm fine with that. We are bound to see many more maps from these gentlemen in the future. I hope that one day we can see a fully fledged AAA Civil War title that spans across all major battles of the way, as well as a campaign mode and some sort of naval battle. These are all hopes for the far future of course :)

Well one day, we will fight from Fort Sumter to Appomattox and back to Washington ;) but nevertheless i have always been a fan from community designed content (like in RO2). My hopes are still alive :)

BloodBeag
04-09-2015, 02:56 PM
You could have maps like in mount & blade of just random fields and hills for the skirmish mode.

Rithal
04-09-2015, 09:06 PM
You could have maps like in mount & blade of just random fields and hills for the skirmish mode.

I would like to stray away from a system like that.

Bravescot
04-10-2015, 10:20 AM
I would like to stray away from a system like that.

Agreed. Keep the maps historical.

Historical Player
04-26-2015, 01:47 PM
I hope to see modding for this game.

William
04-27-2015, 08:54 AM
If itīs easy to mod i know what one i would love to see :DD hihih
i want a napoleonic and american revolutionary war mod :) i would love to see xD *grin grin* ^^

Historical Player
05-13-2015, 05:57 PM
If itīs easy to mod i know what one i would love to see :DD hihih
i want a napoleonic and american revolutionary war mod :) i would love to see xD *grin grin* ^^

Heck yea! Imagine Bunker Hill, Cowpens, Waxhaws, Guilford Courthouse, and Yorktown!

McClellan
05-14-2015, 04:59 AM
Forget that. GREAT NORTHERN WAR, PLEASE.

Julianator
05-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Why Northern War?

William
05-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Heck yea! Imagine Bunker Hill, Cowpens, Waxhaws, Guilford Courthouse, and Yorktown!

Time to replay The Patriot ;)

GeorgeCrecy
05-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Time to replay The Patriot ;)

Uh oh, pack your bags everybody, the LARPers have arrived! :)

Historical Player
05-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Uh oh, pack your bags everybody, the LARPers have arrived! :)

You better believe it!

McClellan
05-17-2015, 03:49 PM
time to replay the patriot ;)

god no....

Historical Player
05-18-2015, 02:27 PM
god no....

God Yes! =D Revolutionary War would be perfect for this type of game!

Soulfly
05-21-2015, 08:37 AM
God Yes! =D Revolutionary War would be perfect for this type of game!

which practically means creating a whole new game instead of a mod...like models/ maps and as already mentioned i think that is quite a challenge with that engine. I hope for modders creating maps for WoR.

Rithal
05-21-2015, 09:44 PM
which practically means creating a whole new game instead of a mod...like models/ maps and as already mentioned i think that is quite a challenge with that engine. I hope for modders creating maps for WoR.

Well really you just need new uniforms, change a few models to the three or so mainly used muskets which were The Brown Bess, The Kentucky Long Rifle and one other that I can't quite recall. Add one generic pistol. Maybe make a few changes to the officer sword. I personally wouldn't see a change in maps quite necessary. The architecture of the two periods was quite similar and Maryland obviously was an area of conflict during the war so.... why not? :P

Soulfly
05-22-2015, 05:52 AM
Well really you just need new uniforms, change a few models to the three or so mainly used muskets which were The Brown Bess, The Kentucky Long Rifle and one other that I can't quite recall. Add one generic pistol. Maybe make a few changes to the officer sword. I personally wouldn't see a change in maps quite necessary. The architecture of the two periods was quite similar and Maryland obviously was an area of conflict during the war so.... why not? :P

"Just a few changes" :D sure why not, but thats a lot work to be done and since the weaponry has changed dramatically, i dont want to see a brown bess being as accurate as an Enfield of 1861, that must be considered as well, just like new models for artillery and some new maps. I think they working on the maps for more than 2 years now ?...so...yea just a few changes :cool:

Hinkel
05-22-2015, 11:07 AM

Well.. you need different animations - not just for reloading, but also for marching drills and what ever.
You need complete new set of models, new sounds, new voice commands, different balancing cause of those new weapons. Then, you have to get a bunch of new 2D stuff (UI, Icons and what ever), to get yourself out of the Civil War and set into the Revolutionary War.

It would be definatly a complete new game needed.. ;)

Rithal
05-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Well.. you need different animations - not just for reloading, but also for marching drills and what ever.
You need complete new set of models, new sounds, new voice commands, different balancing cause of those new weapons. Then, you have to get a bunch of new 2D stuff (UI, Icons and what ever), to get yourself out of the Civil War and set into the Revolutionary War.

It would be definatly a complete new game needed.. ;)

That's true, I didn't think about new reloading animations but they would definitely be needed. Honestly though, marching and such could be kept the same. It might ruin some immersion but I would take a nice mod for a game over a completely new game that I would have to get ;) This is all speaking theoretically though. The icons also I think you could get by without changing. I know it was a much simpler game built for modding, but Mount and Blade: Warband was changed in dozens of ways to fit multiple different periods in history and that was starting with a medieval RPG! XD I have zero modding experience but it seems easier, at least to me, to take a game eighty years back rather than taking a game 800 years forward. (Which was the case in Mount and Blade: Warband)

Historical Player
07-30-2015, 02:24 PM
As long as I can make my own flags I am happy! 36th Virginia Infantry flag here I come!

zimmer1lb
07-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Hope this isn't a question that is too ignorant. Read some of the 1st page and this one. Would modding tend to break players away from the original game??? Scary thought.

zimm out

BloodBeag
07-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Also, if players were allowed to mod everything in the game and have the ability to create full game overhauls then there would be no need for the devs as rather than needing them to make all the models and maps for another era or battle then you could just get some half-bad models made by some random guy.

This is completely unrelated but I don't want to start my own thread. I read that in the 1st Sharpshooters for the Union, whe it first formed a lot of the members has custom weapons that they had made for themselves as they were just the "gun nuts" who could shoot good. I know that THe Maryland campaign was at the start of the war and I don't know if the sharpshooters had been formed by then but I think it would be cool to have a small chance when playing as a sharpshooter ranker to have some strange looking rifle that could shoot really far but could possibly malfunction or you had less cartridges as you had made all of them yourself. It sort of sounds dumb but I think it could be fun regardless of what the four circle jerkers who post on every thread think.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Personally I would keep modding and mapping out for now until either later or just not include them at all because as much as people make good stuff the shit tier stuff always out weighs them.

MrAmerican
08-02-2015, 09:24 PM

I can see it now... people modding in cars instead of horses and M16 Assualt Rifles instead of muskets lol.

Szotu
08-02-2015, 09:29 PM
@UP And this wil be cool :v