PDA

View Full Version : Character Creator

Mi'kmaq
04-28-2015, 05:21 AM
There should be a system in which you can create a character with his own background, facial features, etc. You could be a recent German immigrant to Louisiana that joined the infantry with emerald green eyes and hair as red as the tomatoes he grows on his farm. Just imagine the possibilities. Characters with backgrounds of their own. It would make the game so much more immersive and realistic.

Soulfly
04-28-2015, 06:59 AM
It has been said that you will be able to create your own character, but i think creating a "background" is a little too much though it is interesting. Like for me i would not browse thousands ( yes i am very optimistic) of pages of characters just to get to know some "simulated" backgrounds which are not really important regarding the actual gameplay.

But you may do this later ingame when joining a regiment or maybe as a part of an role play like in ArmA.

William
04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
It has been said that you will be able to create your own character, but i think creating a "background" is a little too much though it is interesting. Like for me i would not browse thousands ( yes i am very optimistic) of pages of characters just to get to know some "simulated" backgrounds which are not really important regarding the actual gameplay.

But you may do this later ingame when joining a regiment or maybe as a part of an role play like in ArmA.

Same here for a Role Play fan thats nice but i will Play that game and if i lead man i donīt care form where there chars are from xD the main Thing is they are Shooting in the same direction ^^

Hinkel
04-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Well, I know that there are lot of roleplay gamers.. also those hundrets of reenactors, who will join this game.
They love background information and for the officers of such regiments, it would be lovely to be able to see the fictional background of their soldiers.

Since this game is a first-person game, to get the player deeply into his character.. why wouldnt it be a good idea, to fill that character with some more details? ;)

William
04-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Well, I know that there are lot of roleplay gamers.. also those hundrets of reenactors, who will join this game.
They love background information and for the officers of such regiments, it would be lovely to be able to see the fictional background of their soldiers.

Since this game is a first-person game, to get the player deeply into his character.. why wouldnt it be a good idea, to fill that character with some more details? ;)

Thats fine by me but in my Backround will be not mutch exept maby Name, Age, where is he from, and that will be it for me i think

Simon445
04-28-2015, 05:28 PM
I like the idea so everyone could make own character. But that there is a German who just joined to fight in Civil War is little "un-important" because you won't know the difference if you are from USA or Germany.

Rithal
04-28-2015, 11:15 PM
I like the idea so everyone could make own character. But that there is a German who just joined to fight in Civil War is little "un-important" because you won't know the difference if you are from USA or Germany.

Well yeah, but we are saying that it would be cool just for immersion and roleplay purposes. I would love to see something like this in the game.

Bravescot
04-29-2015, 12:09 AM
I love the idea of giving my guy a full back story! I'm all for a detailed character creator.

Soulfly
04-29-2015, 06:53 AM
I have done some role plays in ArmA and it worked perfectly without the others knowing my background, due to the fact i have played the "FNG" so the others merely talked to me getting the background information they wanted which actually brought more immersion than reading some text. But you may create some sort of personal file where some basic information is listed, just like it is common today.

But for me it isn't realistic that every soldier reads the personal file of each and every soldier....

Caserta34
04-30-2015, 02:34 AM
So is that going to be in the game

Rithal
04-30-2015, 02:42 AM
But for me it isn't realistic that every soldier reads the personal file of each and every soldier....

That's true, but honestly I don't think the character side of things should be kept to "historical" standards. In the end it still is just an online game full of people who (for the most part) just want to mess around and have fun. There should be some balance between IRL and historical accuracy. Just my two cents. :D

Soulfly
04-30-2015, 06:53 AM
That's true, but honestly I don't think the character side of things should be kept to "historical" standards

Okay..too bad, i already made up a somewhat understandable story why a prussian like me is fighting as a southern soldier. I may change my vote at the classes poll to red cross nurse now :( *irony off* ;)

William
04-30-2015, 08:27 AM
I have done some role plays in ArmA and it worked perfectly without the others knowing my background, due to the fact i have played the "FNG" so the others merely talked to me getting the background information they wanted which actually brought more immersion than reading some text. But you may create some sort of personal file where some basic information is listed, just like it is common today.

agree ,... i think so to

Historical Player
05-05-2015, 12:24 AM
I would love to have a back story for our characters. Especially if they are commanders and we can edit our own histories. I can only imagine the funny bios people will be putting!

Bravescot
05-05-2015, 11:11 PM
I would love to have a back story for our characters. Especially if they are commanders and we can edit our own histories. I can only imagine the funny bios people will be putting!

I am going to go all out to write the best bio.

Swiftwisp
05-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Would I be right to assume the community will most likely create a mod like Arma Life or Persistent world? With so many reenactors and role players interested in the game, it would allow people to do as they please in an RP game type/ mod

Rithal
05-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Would I be right to assume the community will most likely create a mod like Arma Life or Persistent world? With so many reenactors and role players interested in the game, it would allow people to do as they please in an RP game type/ mod

I believe the vanilla game will probably be well suited to all of our roleplaying needs :)

GeorgeCrecy
05-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Okay..too bad, i already made up a somewhat understandable story why a prussian like me is fighting as a southern soldier. I may change my vote at the classes poll to red cross nurse now :( *irony off* ;)

You needn't have to worry about your ethnicity being a problem Soulfly. It wasn't just native-born Americans that fought in the CW. Germans were the second-largest ethnic group to fight in the war on both sides, just short of the Irish. Tons of Germans had emigrated to the US to escape the huge amount of political and religious turmoil that had inflamed the German princedoms, mainly settling in places like Wisconsin and other large farming areas. So, as I said, no worries!

Rithal
05-15-2015, 02:39 AM
You needn't have to worry about your ethnicity being a problem Soulfly. It wasn't just native-born Americans that fought in the CW. Germans were the second-largest ethnic group to fight in the war on both sides, just short of the Irish. Tons of Germans had emigrated to the US to escape the huge amount of political and religious turmoil that had inflamed the German princedoms, mainly settling in places like Wisconsin and other large farming areas. So, as I said, no worries!

Its interesting to think about how wherever an immigrant and his family decided to settle most likely affected what side he fought on, no matter his beliefs.

Soulfly
05-19-2015, 07:31 AM

I am not worried George, i was just thinking about the possibilities the biography could provide. Since i am really interested in the 19th century i am kind of familiar to the things that went on in "Germany", but i have little to no idea what role my fellow countrymen played during the civil war..yet numbers are not everything. Do you know any sources/ books about that ? The only things i have are some hints here and there...like the "German Fusiliers" fighting for the CSA or the 52nd NY for the Union.....looks like the Irish had a better marketing department back then :P

GeorgeCrecy
05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
I am not worried George, i was just thinking about the possibilities the biography could provide. Since i am really interested in the 19th century i am kind of familiar to the things that went on in "Germany", but i have little to no idea what role my fellow countrymen played during the civil war..yet numbers are not everything. Do you know any sources/ books about that ? The only things i have are some hints here and there...like the "German Fusiliers" fighting for the CSA or the 52nd NY for the Union.....looks like the Irish had a better marketing department back then :P

Hehe, perhaps they might have. One book I can reference from my shelf is "The Common Soldier of the Civil War" by Bell I. Wiley. Its a rather basic book, and copyrighted 1975 so is not up to date, but it states the following:

"Most muster and descriptive rolls indicates that about 95 percent of Confederates and 75 percent of Federals were born in the United States. Of the remainder, the foreign-born soldiers, the Germans and the Irish were the most numerous, owing to the heavy immigration of those nationals in the decades immediately preceding the Civil War. Scattered through the Federal forces were about 200,000 Germans, 150,000 Irishmen, 50,000 Englishmen, 50,000 Canadians, and lesser numbers of Scandinavians, French, Italians, Hungarians, and natives of other countries."

It goes on to state that on the Confederate side had more Irish than Germans at 15 to 20,000 vs. several thousand respectively.
I can also reference "The Civil War: Strange and Fascinating Facts" by Burke Davis, copyright 1960 so again watch for any outdated facts. He states in chapter 16,

"Among brigadier generals were nine Germans, four Irishmen, two Frenchmen, a Russian, a Hungarian, a Pole and a Spaniard."

It also lays out a very interesting assortment in the 39th NY, also known as the Garibaldi Guard, so in case you hadn't heard:

"Its Colonel was George Utassy, a Hungarian; its lieutenant colonel was Italian, its surgeon, German. Ranks were filled with English deserters, Swiss, Croats, Bavarians, Cossacks, Garibaldians, Sepoys, Germans, and Algerian Zouaves of the French Foreign Legion. There were three companies of Hungarian Hussars, three of German infantry, one of Italian Caribaneers, one of Swiss, one of French Chasseurs a Pied, one of Spaniards and Portuguese. Most were veterans of European wars."

And one more thing from the same chapter and book which caught my eye:

"There was Prince Felix Salm-Salm, a monocled Prussian cavalry officer of thirty, who spoke no English and served as General Blenker's chief of staff. When he was taken to see President Lincoln, and someone revealed he was a prince, Lincoln slapped him on the back: 'That won't hurt you with us.'"

So Soulfly, there are quite a few books out there for you to look at. Here are four that came from a quick search on Amazon:
German Immigrants, Race, and Citizenship in the Civil War Era (http://www.amazon.com/Immigrants-Citizenship-Publications-Historical-Institute/dp/1107476089/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432019550&sr=8-4&keywords=Germans+in+the+Civil+War)
Chancellorsville and the Germans: Nativism, Ethnicity, and Civil War Memory (http://www.amazon.com/Chancellorsville-Germans-Nativism-Ethnicity-Memory/dp/0823226514/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1432019550&sr=8-8&keywords=Germans+in+the+Civil+War)
The German Soldier in the American Civil War (http://www.amazon.com/German-Soldier-American-Civil-War-ebook/dp/B00BCLQ8P2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1432019578&sr=8-17&keywords=Germans+in+the+Civil+War)
The Spirit of 1848: German Immigrants, Labor Conflict, and the Coming of the Civil War (http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-1848-Immigrants-Conflict-American/dp/0252018737/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1432019578&sr=8-23&keywords=Germans+in+the+Civil+War)

Hopefully this has answered your question, and given you somewhere to go!

Soulfly
05-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Wow, thank you very much for the detailed answer and the book recommendations, i hope to find the time reading them. Once again thanks for your time and effort !

Ps: The vita of Felix zu Salm-Salm is an eye catcher too

Mi'kmaq
06-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Native born Southerners are a large portion German. During the colonial days many Germans came to the colonies and went west with the French and Brits and formed the Southern ethnic group. Hell, my kin's original surname was Weber and my kin came over from Russia (German settlement of Norka) to the South in the 1600's. Lots of recent German immigrants intermarried with Cherokee during the Civil War as well. Descendants of Germans and Germans played a huge role in the Civil War.

PurplePanda
06-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Seems like a little too much for me

DictatorDom
06-11-2015, 03:47 AM
I think a biography could be cool. Those who don't want to read it don't have to. But I'd be a-okay with just age, where you're from, that kinda simple stuff.

Rithal
06-11-2015, 04:26 AM
Native born Southerners are a large portion German. During the colonial days many Germans came to the colonies and went west with the French and Brits and formed the Southern ethnic group. Hell, my kin's original surname was Weber and my kin came over from Russia (German settlement of Norka) to the South in the 1600's. Lots of recent German immigrants intermarried with Cherokee during the Civil War as well. Descendants of Germans and Germans played a huge role in the Civil War.

I can vouch. I have Scottish and British in my background as well as some Cherokee But then again everyone from around here has some Cherokee XD However not many can say they have a great great great grandmother who was full-blooded Cherokee. My family at one point even had a quilt she made probably about a hundred years ago before and in-law sold it off. :D

88thNY_InFaMY
06-11-2015, 01:33 PM
I would love to be able to put some info about my character for RP purposes.

Carson
06-16-2015, 03:37 AM
Seems abit too much in my opinion

DictatorDom
06-16-2015, 05:01 AM
That's why excessive info should be optional. I think that anything more than age and location should be optional to both submit and read.

Historical Player
06-21-2015, 06:07 PM
That's why excessive info should be optional. I think that anything more than age and location should be optional to both submit and read.

I agree with this guy. Don't make it over complicated, but enough to get a good background of a character.

king
11-15-2015, 01:15 AM
In all of the examples of physical character customization the extent of what I've seen has been hair. Various hair and facial hairstyles as well as hair color, but they were all mounted on essentially the same face. How much will we be able to customize our characters? Will we be able to edit facial features? Body types? I really hope it's not limited just to hair.
Thank you for any information!

This might have been covered in another topic, but I was looking and couldn't find it. Sorry if it was.

Hinkel
11-15-2015, 12:29 PM
The character customization will be extended in the future. For the moment, we have 3 different face types, with different beards and hair colors.
We are able to improve that now and we will make lot of new faces, beards, hairstyles.

Later, you are able to choose different head types and adjust the hair cut, beard style, hair color and more.

Des8559
12-04-2015, 07:25 PM
The character customization will be extended in the future. For the moment, we have 3 different face types, with different beards and hair colors.
We are able to improve that now and we will make lot of new faces, beards, hairstyles.

Later, you are able to choose different head types and adjust the hair cut, beard style, hair color and more.

Beards yes beards i will gladly sacrifice anything and anyone i do mean ANYONE for more beard options.

Mississippi
12-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Will the Character Customization include Mutton Chops and Pipes/Cigars?

David Dire
12-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Will the Character Customization include Mutton Chops and Pipes/Cigars?

Mutton Chops probably fall in the category of facial hair, so, I would assume.

And I may not be an expert on the subject, but wouldn't it be a bit hard to rip open a cartridge while smoking a pipe?

Mississippi
12-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Mutton Chops probably fall in the category of facial hair, so, I would assume.

And I may not be an expert on the subject, but wouldn't it be a bit hard to rip open a cartridge while smoking a pipe?

I think it would be awesome to have the pipe/cigar option for everyone!

rapier17
12-05-2015, 12:41 AM
And I may not be an expert on the subject, but wouldn't it be a bit hard to rip open a cartridge while smoking a pipe?As a habitual pipe smoker, I would say that it would no doubt be irritating trying to do it but you could probably could get away with it. There are, however, several other things that would make me recoil from the idea of smoking a pipe whilst trying to load and fire a muzzle-loaded blackpowder weapon:

1. Burning embers, carried forth from the bowl by vagaries of wind, coming into contact with the powder. If a single ember can burn a 10p piece sized hole in the sleeve of one of my hoodies, I wouldn't want it coming into contact with a charge as I loaded a muzzle-loading blackpowder weapon.

2. Discomfort. Pipe smoking, I find, dries the mouth. Blackpowder & the smoke discharged from blackpowder weapons also dries the mouth. Put the two together, in a summer setting (ala Maryland Campaign) and that soldier might get just a little bit uncomfortable. Furthermore when you smoke a cigar/pipe, you don't keep it clamped in your mouth - you remove it to exhale, say, or give your mouth a break from the heat and smoke, perhaps in order to spit the saliva that I find accrues whilst I smoke. In the heat of battle, as you load, and fire, and load, and fire, you're not going to have a few moments to give your mouth a break from the pipe.

3. It'd probably get in the way - you'd probably end up knocking it with your arm, with the rifle, with an affixed bayonet. As a builder I often smoke when working outdoors, and even a small pipe can really get in the way at times!

To put it briefly; You smoke your pipe away from the action, not in the thick of it.

Now pipes/cigars as an accessory, pushed through a buttonhole or in a hatband, for example, would be nice little aesthetic touches.

Mississippi
12-05-2015, 02:17 AM
As a habitual pipe smoker, I would say that it would no doubt be irritating trying to do it but you could probably could get away with it*. There are, however, several other things that would make me recoil from the idea of smoking a pipe whilst trying to load and fire a muzzle-loaded blackpowder weapon:

1. Burning embers, carried forth from the bowl by vagaries of wind, coming into contact with the powder. If a single ember can burn a 10p piece sized hole in the sleeve of one of my hoodies, I wouldn't want it coming into contact with a charge as I loaded a muzzle-loading blackpowder weapon.

2. Discomfort. Pipe smoking, I find, dries the mouth. Blackpowder & the smoke discharged from blackpowder weapons also dries the mouth. Put the two together, in a summer setting (ala Maryland Campaign) and that soldier might get just a little bit uncomfortable*. Furthermore when you smoke a cigar/pipe, you don't keep it clamped in your mouth - you remove it to exhale, say, or give your mouth a break from the heat and smoke, perhaps in order to spit the saliva that I find accrues whilst I smoke. In the heat of battle, as you load, and fire, and load, and fire, you're not going to have a few moments to give your mouth a break from the pipe.

3. It'd probably get in the way - you'd probably end up knocking it with your arm, with the rifle, with an affixed bayonet. As a builder I often smoke when working outdoors, and even a small pipe can really get in the way at times!

To put it briefly; You smoke your pipe away from the action, not in the thick of it.

Now pipes/cigars as an accessory, pushed through a buttonhole or in a hatband, for example, would be nice little aesthetic touches.

Pipes/cigars as accessories is s great idea!

A. P. Hill
12-05-2015, 03:34 AM
Pipes/cigars as accessories is s great idea!

In camp or on the march and not near black powder please! ;)

Ryker
12-13-2015, 03:45 AM
it does not matter who the person is every one is just a bunch of targets

Willie Fisterbottom
12-13-2015, 03:53 AM
I just hope we'll be able to make horrendous faces like the ones in m&b. Some of you will know what i mean ;)

Bravescot
12-13-2015, 03:54 AM
I just hope we'll be able to make horrendous faces like the ones in m&b. Some of you will know what i mean ;)

Please god no

Octavian360
12-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Please god no

I second this...

William F. Randolph
12-13-2015, 07:26 AM
If you have a mount and blade face ingame, insta ban.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-13-2015, 01:21 PM
If you have a mount and blade face ingame, insta ban.

I hope and I think that will not possible because wor is more a simulation.

if its possible I found a facepolice which will massacres all shit faces

Henronicus
12-13-2015, 04:17 PM
I would gladly be a part of that facepolice.

-Mitchell-
12-13-2015, 06:54 PM
I second this...

I third this...

Josy_Wales
12-13-2015, 07:19 PM
In the future development, is there any aim to let players be able to change how dirty/worn their character and clothes are (to an extent)? And will there be an option to choose different ways to wear your hat and other clothing (also to an extent)?

Rithal
12-13-2015, 11:00 PM
In the future development, is there any aim to let players be able to change how dirty/worn their character and clothes are (to an extent)? And will there be an option to choose different ways to wear your hat and other clothing (also to an extent)?

I think the developers brought up dirt and grime on uniforms some time ago, so that's a possibility. We have also had threads talking about more in depth customization, like wearing hats in different manners, or leaving some buttons un-buttoned ect. These ideas are both definitely a possibility and I don't see why the developers wouldn't pursue them. :)

Josy_Wales
12-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Ye when you say it I remember the thread, even being part of the discussion :D Had to be sure, really want a personalized character/regiment (within the historical boundaries). Great to see you as moderator :)

Rithal
12-15-2015, 02:46 AM
Ye when you say it I remember the thread, even being part of the discussion :D Had to be sure, really want a personalized character/regiment (within the historical boundaries). Great to see you as moderator :)

Its great to be one. :)

Wigmund_Adams
12-15-2015, 11:29 PM
If I can get my beard, I'll be a happy camper. And, of course, any additional info slots we could have on the Character Creator would be equally bad-ass.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-15-2015, 11:41 PM

well I didn't see this post. :/

if you are interested I can tell you a lot about Friedrich Hecker and Franz Sigel and the two "badischen Revolutionen"

I think I will write the story in the 52nd NY thread ;)

JaegerCoyote
12-16-2015, 05:07 AM
Germans were the largest non-native ethnic group in the Union Army.

Mi'kmaq
12-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Germans were the largest non-native ethnic group in the Union Army.

Yep

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-24-2015, 09:34 AM
But if you search on youtube for german songs from the civil war you will find nothing -.-

i only found I goes to fight with Sigel and some distance from Prussia.

Thats very sad. :(

A. P. Hill
12-24-2015, 03:34 PM
The Germans, Italians, Irish, Scottish, etc., immigrating to the U.S. at that time were still first generation immigrants, they would not have had time to translate any current American Songs into German, nor did they probably have the desire to do so. To them their ancestral songs were as good as it was going to get.

I also find it rather telling and sad that the Federal government had to take advantage of immigrants just getting off the boat. That's not to say that there were not those individuals who came to the U.S. intent on joining the war and fighting for a cause, I'm sure there were. My point is many men were in serious times and straights wondering how they were going to provide for their families once they arrived at the promised new land. The military's offer of $8 to $10 dollars or so a month was very lucrative.

If it were not for the continuing influx of immigrants into the Federal armies, things may have had a different outcome, because as it got much later in the war, the desire to support the war was waning in the north, around '63. All the South needed to do was to hold out long enough for the Northern public to tire of war completely then the Unionists would have had to sue for peace, and the U.S. would have been a divided country. For how long no one knows, and it is foolish to even speculate.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-24-2015, 03:43 PM
that was not what I mean. there are a couple of songs about the civil war by Germans but not performed by anybody.