PDA

View Full Version : Flags and Officers

JG93
05-14-2015, 04:49 PM
I know this has been touched upon in other threads, but I am curious as to what has already been mentioned and what hasn't.

I know that the game play in RO is being referenced for this game, and I am very happy to hear that. Especially the aspect of the nervousness and fear aspect, where the screen shakes a bit and color goes gray, I am sure everyone familiar with the game know what I am talking about. I was wondering if this would be implemented to promote fighting in groups/lines.

My thought was using the Flag, Officers, NCO's, and groups of men, as a way to stabilize morale and aim. For example, without an officer or NCO, you will need a certain number of guys, in a certain area, to be together to be able to see and aim normally. If a Sgt or Cpl. were around then the number of guys wouldn't matter, so long as they were in the sphere created by the NCO that calms them down. This would promote guys fighting in groups, and a Sgt would have a greater area than a Cpl. that calms the guys down. This would be useful for skirmishing or whatever, as with only a Sgt., a firing line wouldn't be practical anyway. However, as you go up in rank, maybe Lt. or Capt. then the area that accompanies them would be a rectangle, larger than a Sgts area, but something that would promote a firing line. The greater the rank, the greater the area that would calm the men. Of course, if cannon or bullets hit close then the guys would be scared for a time as has already been mentioned. But using officers and the flag for this would give some incentive for the enemy to single out officers and flag bearers and could be a good way to collapse an opposing line and take the ground. (also historically accurate) Also, it would add another dynamic to officers as they would be able to move men toward objectives simply by moving because the zone of influence would move with them forcing guys to move up as well so they can continue in that normal state.

Just a thought, I am really hoping to see civil war era combat, not people just running around sniping everything. I know that in NW there are games of just firing lines, very organized, but those games are like once or twice a week, I would like to see something like RO where you can just drop into a game and play. So I am also curious if bots will be used to supplement those maps when you don't have those organized games happening. I work second shift so I miss out on a lot of organized game play since I simply not around, so I am hoping that those servers will be there so I can still jump into a map and get to experience firing lines etc. So I think bots would be needed to supplement those numbers.

Historical Player
05-14-2015, 04:55 PM
When you say RO what game are you referring to? I do agree with what you are saying, but some regiments are very small, so they have 1 main colonel and the rest play as privates. Big regiments with 20+ guys will be able to do that, but I only have about 10 active guys in my regiment, so it would be hard for me to do that.

JG93
05-14-2015, 05:10 PM
RO refers to Red Orchestra...WW2 game FPS, excellent. I see what you are saying in regards to unit sizes, it might be necessary not be a colonel when you play and just play as a Lt. or a Sgt., depending on the size of the map and outlines of that map. But if you were to just spawn into a game then there would be so many slots for NCO's, maybe 3 or 4 slots for Lt's, 1 or 2 for a Capt., 1 major, 1 Col. etc. I think with 200 guys on a map, so about 100 to each side, it might be better to look at it as a single company instead of a regiment.

Rithal
05-14-2015, 09:49 PM
RO refers to Red Orchestra...WW2 game FPS, excellent. I see what you are saying in regards to unit sizes, it might be necessary not be a colonel when you play and just play as a Lt. or a Sgt., depending on the size of the map and outlines of that map. But if you were to just spawn into a game then there would be so many slots for NCO's, maybe 3 or 4 slots for Lt's, 1 or 2 for a Capt., 1 major, 1 Col. etc. I think with 200 guys on a map, so about 100 to each side, it might be better to look at it as a single company instead of a regiment.

From what I have seen, the developers will try to expand server sizes past 200 players. Back to your first post, it has been confirmed that there will be no AI implemented. Interesting thread so far. Will continue to lurk before giving my opinion :)

Historical Player
05-14-2015, 10:40 PM
From what I have seen, the developers will try to expand server sizes past 200 players. Back to your first post, it has been confirmed that there will be no AI implemented. Interesting thread so far. Will continue to lurk before giving my opinion :)

Uh oh, SgtRithal is on stalking patrol, lol!

JG93
05-15-2015, 02:12 PM
I know that they don't want bots at all, but how will the numbers be supplemented when their aren't enough people in the server. Even the most popular servers will not be full all the time and people will want the gameplay of a lot of people in a firing line. No body wants bots but it seems like a necessary evil at times. Bots could be useful to supplement firing lines or whatever. I would just hate to see servers empty and 6 or 7 people trying to play running around alone

Rithal
05-16-2015, 03:59 AM
I know that they don't want bots at all, but how will the numbers be supplemented when their aren't enough people in the server. Even the most popular servers will not be full all the time and people will want the gameplay of a lot of people in a firing line. No body wants bots but it seems like a necessary evil at times. Bots could be useful to supplement firing lines or whatever. I would just hate to see servers empty and 6 or 7 people trying to play running around alone

That definitely shouldnt be a problem. I expect this game to spike in popularityonce an alpha release date is announced.

JG93
05-16-2015, 02:30 PM
I suspect that there will be a lot of interest as well, however, there will still be slow time when not many people will be playing and the severs will be near empty, what then? It happens on every game, go on looking to play, all the servers for whatever reason at that time are empty, so no one can play. Drives me crazy.

Soulfly
05-18-2015, 08:50 AM
I expect this game to spike in popularityonce an alpha release date is announced.

Having it on Steam would be great too, would make it possible to get hold of a lot of players. Especially after a gameplay trailer has been made.

TrustyJam
05-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Having it on Steam would be great too, would make it possible to get hold of a lot of players. Especially after a gameplay trailer has been made.

That's the plan.

- Trusty

JG93
05-18-2015, 05:52 PM
So...no bots to supplement numbers then...I work second shift people, I am on opposite schedule, I will miss all the times when the servers will be stacked...what a terrible fate.