PDA

View Full Version : 23-08-2017 Thirty-Seventh Field Report: Pledge Reward Uniforms & Harper's Ferry

Fancy Sweetroll
08-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Field Report 37: Pledge Reward Uniforms & Harper's Ferry posted 23-08-2017 CLICK TO VIEW (https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport37)

MadWolf
08-23-2017, 03:04 PM
That new map is looking so good :D and i am realy happy with the backer unifoms good job Dev Team!

Lightfoot
08-23-2017, 03:43 PM
If you are going to give us cool looking uniforms you are going to have to give us the "F4" key view so we can admire ourselves on the battlefield. :)

Charles Caldwell
08-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Great job guys, Harper's Ferry looks like my new favourite map, and I've not even played it yet!

War of Rights
08-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Fantastic job on the uniforms!

Gamble
08-23-2017, 06:58 PM
This looks outstanding!

Saris
08-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Cant wait! I hope I can raise my pledge tier before y'all stop the pledges!

C. Moser
08-23-2017, 07:27 PM
Cant wait! I hope I can raise my pledge tier before y'all stop the pledges!
Does anyone know an exact time they would stop pledges, cause I was planning on pledging once I got my PC. Tbh, it would have already been here, but delayed. As long as I'll be able to pledge still, I do t care when it comes.

Duffy
08-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Beautiful map for Harpers Ferry, amazing detail! The new uniforms look great too, hopefully I'll be able to up my pledge at some point to contribute to the "cause".

Hinkel
08-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know an exact time they would stop pledges, cause I was planning on pledging once I got my PC. Tbh, it would have already been here, but delayed. As long as I'll be able to pledge still, I do t care when it comes.

We will tell you, you would have enough time to pledge, before we stop the crowdfunding :)

C. Moser
08-23-2017, 11:16 PM
We will tell you, you would have enough time to pledge, before we stop the crowdfunding :)

Danke Hinkel, das ist sehr gut ��

TrustyJam
08-24-2017, 02:22 AM
Thanks all for your kind words. :)

I'm very much looking forward to be playing on Harper's Ferry with you.

- Trusty

Max Krause
08-24-2017, 02:28 AM
It's outstanding. Very incredible. Im a big fan of town maps... Trusty or someone else, can you already say if you can walk inside the houses or will it be a little secret?

Greetings from Germany.

A. P. Hill
08-24-2017, 02:29 AM
Congrats on the update! Looking Fantastic!

DomDowg
08-24-2017, 02:45 AM
Out of Curiosity will you A be able to see Shepardstown across the river and B will there be any John Brown Easter eggs.

TrustyJam
08-24-2017, 02:56 AM
It's outstanding. Very incredible. Im a big fan of town maps... Trusty or someone else, can you already say if you can walk inside the houses or will it be a little secret?

Greetings from Germany.

Thank you. :) The historic buildings such as John brows fort or the destroyed armories will be enterable - we've decided not to make the normal town houses enterable as we're not looking for a Dayz like experience where everyone is hiding in their own house (there are several hundred houses in Harper's Ferry and Bolivar).

Out of Curiosity will you A be able to see Shepardstown across the river and B will there be any John Brown Easter eggs.

Shepherdstown is 12 miles up, so while you can see the rough contours of the landscape there, you won't be able to see it, no. :)

In regards to Easter eggs - who knows! ;)

- Trusty

Extracrispi
08-24-2017, 04:07 AM
Me looking at the 11th Mississippi uniforms rn
(http://imgur.com/a/TM9qe)

Worth every penny.

Extracrispi
08-24-2017, 04:13 AM
Will the pledge reward uniforms just be privates or will we have NCO and officer class versions to go along with them?

Saris
08-24-2017, 04:14 AM
Will the pledge reward uniforms just be privates or will we have NCO and officer class versions to go along with them?

and will we be able to use the regular uniforms if we wanted to?

TrustyJam
08-24-2017, 04:40 AM

That is the plan.

and will we be able to use the regular uniforms if we wanted to?

Probably a good time to give you all an update as to the availability of the backer reward uniforms.

When first conceived, before the Kickstarter, the plan was indeed to have generic uniforms available for non backers in the regiments that are featured as reward uniforms and then only to have the backers wear the "correct" uniform.

While in theory sound, the sheer number of regiments we wish to feature will mean very little to no chance of a backer ever being able to wear his reward uniform (he'd had to hope the correct skirmish area featuring the regiment of his reward is being played or (at a later stage, such as in historical battle mode possibly, his regiment would be voted in as one of the active ones of the match).

This all ends up giving extremely little value to the reward and is why (at the very least for skirmishes) we're going to allow you to use your reward uniforms whenever you wish. Faction locks are obviously still in place (can't use a 11th Mississippi uniform while fighting for the Union) but the uniform rewards won't be tied to regiments as was first planned.

This might seem like a step away from authenticity and perhabs it is a bit. Please, however keep in mind the relatively small amount of people with these rewards - never obtainable again once the crowdfunding campaign ends.

We want to make the reward feel like It's worth something (it ought to be considering the asking prices) and we can only do that by making it useable far more often than whenever the correct regiment just happens to be featured.

Lastly, we are still very open to change this stuff, especially the availability of the uniforms in the historical battle mode when that launches in the future. Please don't hesitate to let us know your thoughts! :)

- Trusty

Profender
08-24-2017, 04:49 AM
That is the plan.

Probably a good time to give you all an update as to the availability of the backer reward uniforms.

When first conceived, before the Kickstarter, the plan was indeed to have generic uniforms available for non backers in the regiments that are featured as reward uniforms and then only to have the backers wear the "correct" uniform.

While in theory sound, the sheer number of regiments we wish to feature will mean very little to no chance of a backer ever being able to wear his reward uniform (he'd had to hope the correct skirmish area featuring the regiment of his reward is being played or (at a later stage, such as in historical battle mode possibly, his regiment would be voted in as one of the active ones of the match).

This all ends up giving extremely little value to the reward and is why (at the very least for skirmishes) we're going to allow you to use your reward uniforms whenever you wish. Faction locks are obviously still in place (can't use a 11th Mississippi uniform while fighting for the Union) but the rewards won't be tied to regiments as was first planned.

This might seem like a step away from authenticity and perhabs it is a bit. Please, however keep in mind the relatively small amount of people with these rewards - never obtainable again once the crowdfunding campaign ends.

We want to make the reward feel like It's worth something (it ought to be considering the asking prices) and we can only do that by making it useable far more often than whenever the correct regiment just happens to be featured.

Lastly, we are still very open to change this stuff, especially the availability of the uniforms in the historical battle mode when that launches in the future. Please don't hesitate to let us know your thoughts! :)

- Trusty

Only thing that is on my mind is the special uniform the 15th Alabama Company G had, and how I wish that would be in the game eventually.
These special uniforms you guys shown us are amazing in detail. Something a lot of people are looking forward to even though I would never wear the Mississippi uniform I am very glad to see it in-game looks amazing. Again hope to have that also when time permits for the 15th AL Co. G

--- Wearing bright red shirts, Richmond gray frock coats and trousers, and a colorful and diverse attire of headgear. Each cap bore an HP, which stood for Henry Pioneers. So colorful and weighed down with comforts from home in their knapsacks, the Henry County Pioneers were dubbed as "Oates' Zouaves." Each soldier of this gaudy company wore a Secession Badge which stood for "Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity," copied from the French Revolution. Private Barnett of G Company stated: "We have the finest looking company in the regiment, and have the praise of being the best drill company in the manual of arms."---

rebeldestroyer
08-24-2017, 04:55 AM
That is the plan.

This all ends up giving extremely little value to the reward and is why (at the very least for skirmishes) we're going to allow you to use your reward uniforms whenever you wish. Faction locks are obviously still in place (can't use a 11th Mississippi uniform while fighting for the Union) but the uniform rewards won't be tied to regiments as was first planned.

- Trusty

I'm not saying you shouldn't have offered regiment specific uniforms as rewards but I think the rewards would be better if they were all guns or accessories. I remember once you replied to someone asking why only $581 backers got J.F. Brown target rifles by saying something along the lines of " only people with a lot of money could privately purchase these rifles so to parallel that you have to pledge a large amount to be able to use this rifle". Basically what i'm saying is anyone could've joined any regiment but not everyone could afford top of the line weaponry and as you've said there are not enough people who've pledged that high to have a sizable force of the 11th Mississippi represented in-game therby nullifying the purpose of them being a reward.

TrustyJam
08-24-2017, 05:14 AM
I'm not saying you shouldn't have offered regiment specific uniforms as rewards but I think the rewards would be better if they were all guns or accessories. I remember once you replied to someone asking why only $581 backers got J.F. Brown target rifles by saying something along the lines of " only people with a lot of money could privately purchase these rifles so to parallel that you have to pledge a large amount to be able to use this rifle". Basically what i'm saying is anyone could've joined any regiment but not everyone could afford top of the line weaponry and as you've said there are not enough people who've pledged that high to have a sizable force of the 11th Mississippi represented in-game therby nullifying the purpose of them being a reward.

I'm not sure I follow you. I don't see any of the rewards as being purposeless. Could you please go a bit more into detail?

We're basically bringing the uniform rewards up to the availability of the weapon rewards.

If a regiment you've selected used, say, rifles you'll be able to use your backer reward rifles (taking up the same numbers as any other rifle would do in the regiment (percentage limited weapons stuff to be introduced fairly soon).

If the regiment had a few scoped weapons you'll be able to use your target rifle, again from that same regimental "pool" of scoped rifles available.

This ensures maximum usability of the rewards with no changes to power (no buy to win). The check marks for the uniform usage is instead of the weapon availability check, simply a check regarding class availability (NCO, officer, flag bearer, etc).

- Trusty

rebeldestroyer
08-24-2017, 05:24 AM
I'm not sure I follow you. I don't see any of the rewards as being purposeless. Could you please go a bit more into detail?

We're basically bringing the uniform rewards up to the availability of the weapon rewards.

If a regiment you've selected used, say, rifles you'll be able to use your backer reward rifles (taking up the same numbers as any other rifle would do in the regiment (percentage limited weapons stuff to be introduced fairly soon).

If the regiment had a few scoped weapons you'll be able to use your target rifle, again from that same regimental "pool" of scoped rifles available.

This ensures maximum usability of the rewards with no changes to power (no buy to win). The check marks for the uniform usage is instead of the weapon availability check, simply a check regarding class availability (NCO, officer, flag bearer, etc).

- Trusty

that last sentence of mine didn't come out right. I was saying that making the uniforms available when playing all regiments is a good way of nullifiying the fact that there are too few to make up a sizable unit. But my main point is that uniform's are an odd choice for rewards considering they are just a product of what regiment you're a part of and accesory items would make for better rewards.(not saying that you shouldn't give uniforms as a reward concidering they were promised as a reward and you've already modeled them)

Extracrispi
08-24-2017, 06:08 AM
That is the plan.

- Trusty

You could add a hidden option only available to backers that allows them to select pledge reward units in addition to the two standard ones in Skirmish mode.

TrustyJam
08-24-2017, 06:21 AM
You could add a hidden option only available to backers that allows them to select pledge reward units in addition to the two standard ones in Skirmish mode.

That is sort of what we'll do although stated in a roundabout way.

If chosen, the reward uniform will overwrite the uniform in the selected regiment.

They need to be kept together due to balance (class and weapon limitations)

- Trusty

Extracrispi
08-24-2017, 08:51 AM
That is sort of what we'll do although stated in a roundabout way.

If chosen, the reward uniform will overwrite the uniform in the selected regiment.

They need to be kept together due to balance (class and weapon limitations)

- Trusty

So if I select to have the 11th MS to override let's say the Louisiana Tigers, I would retain the weapons (M1841 and M1855 rifles if I recall) and stats of the of the Tigers, but have appearance of an 11th MS infantryman instead?

F. L. Villarreal
08-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Beautiful work gentlemen!

lapje
08-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Looking good

Grant97
08-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Great job Devs ;)

Alex Rust
08-25-2017, 06:49 PM
I am very excited to see how strategies will alter in a city environment. I love the detail put in the map and how well the map fit to its historical past. This will definitely be my favorite map.

dmurray6
08-25-2017, 09:22 PM

- Trusty

Trusty,

How does the possibility of a soldier from one company/regiment falling into another company/regiment due to getting lost, company depleted, etc, affect the use of the uniform rewards? Wouldn't that be quite possible?

Or the same could go for the use of a weapon reward. What was the chance that someone could have just swapped their weapon for a J.F. Target rifle, if/when they found it on the field? I'm sure use of different ammo could have been a limiting and deciding factor in whether to switch or not.

Do these examples negate some of the desire to limit reward use?

Just curious. Thanks

R21
08-31-2017, 07:03 PM
I am very excited to see how strategies will alter in a city environment. I love the detail put in the map and how well the map fit to its historical past. This will definitely be my favorite map.

Lots of threads on this, namely the need to have a decent ballistics model:

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?1446-Fires-and-Explosions&highlight=ballistics

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?2245-Bullet-Penetration&highlight=ballistics

From the screens it looks amazing, but i imagine when you get in-Game it feels a bit static. Put a load of Players in there and you're going to see buildings being camped while others akwardly try to rush up to the Snipers inside.

Decent Ballistics model + Buildings having different states (like ARMA 3) Undamaged - lightly Damaged - seriously damaged could be the way to go to remedey this.

TrustyJam
08-31-2017, 07:25 PM
Lots of threads on this, namely the need to have a decent ballistics model:

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?1446-Fires-and-Explosions&highlight=ballistics

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?2245-Bullet-Penetration&highlight=ballistics

From the screens it looks amazing, but i imagine when you get in-Game it feels a bit static. Put a load of Players in there and you're going to see buildings being camped while others akwardly try to rush up to the Snipers inside.

Decent Ballistics model + Buildings having different states (like ARMA 3) Undamaged - lightly Damaged - seriously damaged could be the way to go to remedey this.

Town houses aren't enterable.

- Trusty

R21
08-31-2017, 07:28 PM
That's one way to solve the problem! ;)

塞莉卡·弗拉维乌斯·瓦勒良
01-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Great!

VOLCUSGAMING
01-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Town houses aren't enterable.

- Trusty

Are they going to be?

A. P. Hill
01-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Are they going to be?

Shouldn't be as the actual battle that took place there was on the western outskirts of the town. No need to enter Harper's Ferry proper except to march through. :)

Duke Of Longtree
01-07-2018, 02:22 AM
the 11th Mississippi Co A & G had black trim on there uniforms not red

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/56/2b/eb/562beb4baf15a86b2396394173d87ec9--august--american-war.jpg

https://civilwartalk.com/attachments/10394595_1570642726505501_654182449000474554_n-jpg.52623/

Hinkel
01-07-2018, 09:59 AM
the 11th Mississippi Co A & G had black trim on there uniforms not red

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/56/2b/eb/562beb4baf15a86b2396394173d87ec9--august--american-war.jpg

https://civilwartalk.com/attachments/10394595_1570642726505501_654182449000474554_n-jpg.52623/

Since the pictures are black and white, you can't tell, if they are dark red or black trim.
Please link to some written sources for that.

Our sources just mention the red trim.
The quartermaster reports for the 11th MS mentioned: "with red trim on the collar and cuffs, and eight red chest bars with buttons at each end". Thats how the regiment was fitted.
The Mississippi regulation for the militia and army mentioned "Red for Infantry" as trim.

The black and white pictures are no evidences, because you can't see the difference between black and dark red in such pictures.

Shiloh
01-07-2018, 12:34 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen this yet. The town looks amazing and the attention to detail is impressive! If you guys ever need photos or are unsure of anything I live in Shepherdstown and could help out if needed. I'm a good photographer and could supply what you need... just let me know.

Edit: Also no pressure at all as you guys have a schedule and priorities but do you have a rough timetable on this map being released?

Sir_Squiggles
01-11-2018, 05:19 AM
Since the pictures are black and white, you can't tell, if they are dark red or black trim.
Please link to some written sources for that.

Our sources just mention the red trim.
The quartermaster reports for the 11th MS mentioned: "with red trim on the collar and cuffs, and eight red chest bars with buttons at each end". Thats how the regiment was fitted.
The Mississippi regulation for the militia and army mentioned "Red for Infantry" as trim.

The black and white pictures are no evidences, because you can't see the difference between black and dark red in such pictures.
This is correct about them wearing red trims, as the quartermaster also reports in harpers ferry the "mississippians all clamoring for rifles to replace their outdated muskets" in harper's ferry as the 11thMS stood soldierly amongst the others in their red trimmed uniforms.

EuropeanCompany
01-11-2018, 06:41 AM
Some took it a bit further then just the trims.

Sir_Squiggles
01-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Some took it a bit further then just the trims.

This is correct! As to your company is an example of this!