PDA

View Full Version : Native Americans

AlienDogeAlabama
06-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Just wondering what everyone thought about where Native Americans are gonna be in this game. Do you think it will be a skin? Or do you think it would be part of a character customization menu? The reason I brought this up is because they were a pretty significant part of the war, both on the Confederate and Union sides, with tribes such as the Cherokee, Choctaw, Creek, and so many more.

Cynfar
06-02-2015, 06:59 PM
They werent a significant part of the Maryland campaign , though. ;)

Octavian360
06-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Would be a neat feature to have a 'third faction'

Hinkel
06-02-2015, 07:42 PM
War of Rights displays the Maryland Campaign of 1862 and its battles.. (we are recreating 3 battles of it)
During that Campaign, there were no Native American units part of the ANV, so they don't play any role for as at the moment, sorry :)
You have to be aware, that we won't display the entire war, "just" those 16 days in 1862 for the moment.. ;)

A "Third Faction" is also out of discussion, cause we want to stay authentic and historical.

Mi'kmaq
06-30-2015, 07:20 PM
I did a bit of research and I found that there were many Catawba that fought for the Confederacy at Antietam. Another native unit that fought at Antietam was Company K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters. Company K was made up of Ottawa, Delaware, Huron, Oneida, Potawami and Ojibwe.

http://www.stignacenews.com/news/2011-01-20/News/Researcher_Tells_Story_of_Michigan_Indian_Sharpsho .html

A pic of Company K
http://www.mainlymichigan.com/GetFile.aspx?File=images%2F01551v-web.jpg

Hinkel
06-30-2015, 10:06 PM
I did a bit of research and I found that there were many Catawba that fought for the Confederacy at Antietam. Another native unit that fought at Antietam was Company K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters. Company K was made up of Ottawa, Delaware, Huron, Oneida, Potawami and Ojibwe.

After the Union incurred heavy battle losses, the ban was lifted to allow Indian volunteers in 1863... So natives weren't allowed to join before, how should Company K be at antietam? :)

Rithal
06-30-2015, 11:37 PM
I imagine a few natives slipped in here and there, but they weren't significant enough in the battle to make them a part of them game in my opinion.

Mi'kmaq
07-01-2015, 12:35 AM
After the Union incurred heavy battle losses, the ban was lifted to allow Indian volunteers in 1863... So natives weren't allowed to join before, how should Company K be at antietam? :)

Seems I misread the website. Sorry lol. But I did not misread that a lot of Catawba fought for the Confederacy at Antietam. The 5th, 12th, and 17th South Carolina Infantry contained a number of Catawba Indians.

GeorgeCrecy
07-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Seems I misread the website. Sorry lol. But I did not misread that a lot of Catawba fought for the Confederacy at Antietam. The 5th, 12th, and 17th South Carolina Infantry contained a number of Catawba Indians.

Hey there Cherokee, if you could link me to your sources, I would be happy to take a look and possibly revise my earlier statements, though according to what research I have done, AmerIndian units did not come about until some time after the Maryland Campaign. Again, I could full well be wrong, so I look forward to your reply.

Mi'kmaq
07-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Hey there Cherokee, if you could link me to your sources, I would be happy to take a look and possibly revise my earlier statements, though according to what research I have done, AmerIndian units did not come about until some time after the Maryland Campaign. Again, I could full well be wrong, so I look forward to your reply.

Here you go, good sir.
http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-antietam
https://books.google.com/books?id=PCv58spjB0wC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=Catawba+at+antietam&source=bl&ots=eFZ7I7mCTz&sig=F76nxumcQtkJYdt6KWPqmFfLcko&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pjSUVay2MpbgoATro6qQDg&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Catawba%20at%20antietam&f=false
http://alabamapioneers.com/native-american-catawba-civil-war11489/
http://alexandriava.gov/historic/fortward/default.aspx?id=40164

GeorgeCrecy
07-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Well then, I was wrong! I thank you Cherokee for pointing this out. We will look into this new information and get back to you.

Mi'kmaq
07-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Well then, I was wrong! I thank you Cherokee for pointing this out. We will look into this new information and get back to you.
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that lol. Thank you, m8. I have never seen a dev reply to a fan's correction,suggestion,etc.

GeorgeCrecy
07-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Well, my goal here is looking into and preserving the history of the Civil War, not my own ego or some vaunted standing of perfection. So, I hope that everyone will stand up as Cherokee did if they see or read something that doesn't sound quite right. For one, it promotes you guys looking into random historical things and possibly finding new areas of interest, and allows me to have a legion of fact-checking maniacs to keep me on my toes! :)
So thanks again for bringing that to my attention.

Mi'kmaq
07-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Well, my goal here is looking into and preserving the history of the Civil War, not my own ego or some vaunted standing of perfection. So, I hope that everyone will stand up as Cherokee did if they see or read something that doesn't sound quite right. For one, it promotes you guys looking into random historical things and possibly finding new areas of interest, and allows me to have a legion of fact-checking maniacs to keep me on my toes! :)
So thanks again for bringing that to my attention.
Always good to know the devs are listening! :D I have done extensive research here and there regarding non-white groups in the Civil War. There were a number of Hispanics at Antietam. I recommend this book if you're interested. http://www.nps.gov/fodo/upload/Hispanics-in-Civil-War-8x8-booklet-lowres.pdf

Historical Player
07-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Always good to know the devs are listening! :D I have done extensive research here and there regarding non-white groups in the Civil War. There were a number of Hispanics at Antietam. I recommend this book if you're interested. http://www.nps.gov/fodo/upload/Hispanics-in-Civil-War-8x8-booklet-lowres.pdf

I didn't know any of this either. I knew Natives were in the Confederacy as early as late 1861, but thank you for bringing this up. I will finally get to play an Injun Joe from Tom Sawyer's Adventures!

Mi'kmaq
07-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Well, you also have the many Cajuns that fought in the Civil War. Some may say they are fully white, but history and genetics says otherwise. There is a small amount of Filipino and a larger amount of Creole ans Native American. While we're mentioning the Cajuns, you have to remember the Creoles, another group that sure as hell isn't fully white. Then you have the various Melungeons that fought on both sides of the war. The Lumbee and other tri racial groups.

Macca
07-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that lol. Thank you, m8. I have never seen a dev reply to a fan's correction,suggestion,etc.

This is why War of Rights is going to do well. The developers listen closely to the players opinions and value them. God, I love the developers.

TrustyJam
07-30-2015, 05:27 AM
This is why War of Rights is going to do well. The developers listen closely to the players opinions and value them. God, I love the developers.

We only listen to you because you're such a great community! :)

- Trusty

Macca
07-30-2015, 09:33 AM
We only listen to you because you're such a great community! :)

- Trusty

Trusty has a soft side. ;)

Historical Player
07-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Trusty has a soft side. ;)

Very soft side. Trusty listens to our pleas for help!

Bravescot
08-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Very soft side. Trusty listens to our pleas for help!

It also helps that we make regular human sacrifices to him and the WoR team

Mi'kmaq
08-01-2015, 10:06 PM
It also helps that we make regular human sacrifices to him and the WoR team
Already a step ahead of you. I have 30 white settler scalps for the devs. :o

Historical Player
08-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Already a step ahead of you. I have 30 white settler scalps for the devs. :o

Ha! I have 30 white and 30 negro scalps! Trusty they will be delivered to your doorstep here in a day or two.

Mi'kmaq
08-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Ha! I have 30 white and 30 negro scalps! Trusty they will be delivered to your doorstep here in a day or two.

Ò-Ó u wunna fite me over dem negro scalps, boi?

Rithal
08-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Well this thread has taken an interesting turn XD

Mi'kmaq
08-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Well this thread has taken an interesting turn XD
Seems Rithal has a nice scalp. Mmmmmhmmm! Why don't we go take a walk in the woods where nobody can hear you scream.....

Bravescot
08-03-2015, 12:12 AM
*Sips tea and enjoys Colonials killing one another* See Trusty. Lots of human sacrifices.

Mi'kmaq
08-03-2015, 12:57 AM
*Sips tea and enjoys Colonials killing one another* See Trusty. Lots of human sacrifices.
Mmmmm, a Scotsman. Would make a nice rug.

Bravescot
08-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Mmmmm, a Scotsman. Would make a nice rug.

Suddenly I feel a lot more insecure...

Mi'kmaq
08-03-2015, 01:17 AM
Suddenly I feel a lot more insecure...
Come on, Scotty, help us scalp. You have native blood.

Bravescot
08-03-2015, 01:59 AM
Come on, Scotty, help us scalp. You have native blood.

All of about 1ml of it xD

Mi'kmaq
08-03-2015, 02:16 AM
All of about 1ml of it xD
"Cherokee blood, if not destroyed, will win it's course in beings of fair complexions, who will read that their ancestors became civilized under the frowns of misfortune, and the causes of their enemies."
-- John Ridge
creator of The Cherokee Phoenix and
son of The Ridge, Cherokee Warrior

Bravescot
08-03-2015, 05:02 AM
My blood is Iriquois mate

Mi'kmaq
08-03-2015, 06:25 AM
Lel I know. I truthfully believe that quote can apply to every tribe.

Macca
08-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Oh really?

Edit: Finally got Corporal on the forum. Race to General now.

Bravescot
08-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Oh really?

Edit: Finally got Corporal on the forum. Race to General now.

It's minute but there is Iroquois in my veins.

Try and catch with Captain up ;)

Rithal
08-13-2015, 01:06 AM
It's minute but there is Iroquois in my veins.

Try and catch with Captain up ;)

Ahem... Captain, return to your duties and stop harassing the men.... XD

Bravescot
08-13-2015, 02:01 AM

Ah bugger, yes sir.

Macca
08-13-2015, 03:57 AM

Ayyyyyyyyyy

Historical Player
08-13-2015, 03:58 AM
I have Cherokee and Huron and Shawnee in my blood. I am a direct descendent of Chief Cornstalk from the Point Pleasant Massacre. He was the one who put the Mothman curse on the town.

Mi'kmaq
08-13-2015, 04:32 AM
I have Cherokee and Huron and Shawnee in my blood. I am a direct descendent of Chief Cornstalk from the Point Pleasant Massacre. He was the one who put the Mothman curse on the town.
Mothman..........................fucking scary shit. Gotta be why you like the game Rake. I'm a descendant of Chief Opchanacanough, the chief that committed the Indian Massacre of 1622. Welsh trader married Opchanacanough's daughter and then they some how or some way got thrown into the Melungeon mix.