PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Civil War Story?

Historical Player
06-15-2015, 07:12 PM
There are many cool and funny stories from the War of Northern Aggression, which is your favorite?

TrustyJam
06-15-2015, 07:51 PM
- Johnston commanding with his coffee cup (at least acording to Shelby Foote) at Shiloh. Soon to be bleeding to death because he sent his surgeon off to treat some Union captives.

- I seem to recall a tale about a redhaired (and bearded!) Union colonel doing his scouting personally dressed as a woman in a wagon in one of the border states early on as well. Not sure if it's true though. :)

Don't know if they are my favorites - there are too many good ones! Those just sprung to mind.

- Trusty

Rithal
06-15-2015, 07:58 PM
There are many cool and funny stories from the War of Northern Aggression, which is your favorite?

Don't know if this is true, but I have heard stories that say at Appomattox, Lee was dressed nice and formal. He had his pocket watch, his sword, his signature hat, nice dress boots (are those a thing) while Grant had on muddy raggy clothes. Not sure about that one, but there you have it. Lee still held on to his dignity :)

Soulfly
06-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Well i havent heard much stories, but the one i heard was the story about Richard Rowland Kirkland "Angel of Fredericksburg"

Historical Player
06-16-2015, 12:03 AM
- Johnston commanding with his coffee cup (at least acording to Shelby Foote) at Shiloh. Soon to be bleeding to death because he sent his surgeon off to treat some Union captives.

- I seem to recall a tale about a redhaired (and bearded!) Union colonel doing his scouting personally dressed as a woman in a wagon in one of the border states early on as well. Not sure if it's true though. :)

Don't know if they are my favorites - there are too many good ones! Those just sprung to mind.

- Trusty

So the Union Colonel went in drag to get information? That's dedication right there! lol.

Historical Player
06-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Don't know if this is true, but I have heard stories that say at Appomattox, Lee was dressed nice and formal. He had his pocket watch, his sword, his signature hat, nice dress boots (are those a thing) while Grant had on muddy raggy clothes. Not sure about that one, but there you have it. Lee still held on to his dignity :)

Lee cared a lot of about his dignity. He was an old school General in my opinion. That's why he is my favorite General of all time.

Rithal
06-16-2015, 02:27 AM
Lee cared a lot of about his dignity. He was an old school General in my opinion. That's why he is my favorite General of all time.

Yeah, he definitely had class! :D

Carson
06-16-2015, 03:40 AM
The story about Chamberlain is a good one!:)

Rithal
06-16-2015, 09:33 AM
The story about Chamberlain is a good one!:)

Indeed. I think that is everyone's favorite XD

Josy_Wales
06-16-2015, 01:45 PM
I just love the stories about the irregulars during the war, like Quantrill´s raiders, Mosby rangers, the "Partisan Brigades" of Nathan Bedford Forrest, Thomas Legion and everything around the so called "peoples war".

Rithal
06-16-2015, 01:56 PM
I just love the stories about the irregulars during the war, like Quantrill´s raiders, Mosby rangers, the "Partisan Brigades" of Nathan Bedford Forrest, Thomas Legion and everything around the so called "peoples war".

cool. I might be checking that out :D

Brother_Padre
06-16-2015, 02:37 PM

Have you watched 'Ride with the Devil' it's about the Confederate guerrillas in Missouri, really good.

Octavian360
06-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Have you watched 'Ride with the Devil' it's about the Confederate guerrillas in Missouri, really good.

Where can I watch this?

Historical Player
06-16-2015, 04:02 PM

I have never heard that one before. I love reading about Forrest, and Terry's Texas Rangers and Mosby's Rangers.

Brother_Padre
06-16-2015, 04:20 PM
Where can I watch this?

You can buy it, or you can sail the seven seas of the internet, if you get my drift ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_with_the_Devil_(film)

Rithal
06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
You can buy it, or you can sail the seven seas of the internet, if you get my drift ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_with_the_Devil_(film)

Do what you want, 'cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is all right with me,
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo Ho, ahoy and avast,
Being a pirate is really badass!
Hang the black flag at the end of the mast!
You are a pirate!

You are a pirate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht90i9Ydlow

;)

Historical Player
06-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Do what you want, 'cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is all right with me,
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo Ho, ahoy and avast,
Being a pirate is really badass!
Hang the black flag at the end of the mast!
You are a pirate!

You are a pirate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht90i9Ydlow

;)
Pirates are cool! Yar Harg!

Hinkel
06-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Well.. I like the story of Daniel Emmett, the composer of “Dixie”. He was not only from the North, but he was also a loyal Unionist. He was disgusted by the songs popularity in the south. Lincoln claimed that it was “the best tune I ever heard" :D

Rithal
06-16-2015, 11:41 PM
Yeah Hinkel, I have heard something about that. I don't quite understand that... Let me go ahead and copy the lyrics.

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten.
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land!
In Dixie's Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin'.
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land!
I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie's Land I'll take my stand,
to live and die in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie!
There's buckwheat cakes and Injun batter,
Makes you fat or a little fatter.
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land
Then hoe it down and scratch your gravel,
To Dixie's Land I'm bound to travel.
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land
I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie's Land I'll take my stand,
to live and die in Dixie.

So... He wishes he was in Dixie, so he could take his stand, and fight, and die.... Alright. Although I guess that could be taken in two ways. A southerner would take it "I'm going to take my stand here in the south and defeat the northern invaders" while a northerner might take it "I am going to travel to Dixie and take my stand against the evil secessionists!". Does anyone else get that same vibe?

Josy_Wales
06-17-2015, 12:34 AM
Its tricky to tell a good story from the civil war since many are long lasting and complicated, but there is a really good one about one of Mosby's most famous raids. He led a raid into Union Territory and captured brig gen Edwin Henry Stoughton in his bed at Fairfax Court House. When he woke the brig gen up with a slap to the rear, Stoughton shouted "Do you know who I am?" Mosby replied, "Do you know Mosby, general?" "Yes!, Have you got the rascal?" "No but he has got you!" :cool:

TrustyJam
06-17-2015, 12:45 AM
J.E.B. Stuart losing his much loved plumed hat and cloak, having to quickly retreat from union cavalry from Pope's army and then capturing Pope's full uniform (and orders regarding reinforcements for Pope's army) at Pope's HQ two days later as revenge is another good one. :)

- Trusty

Historical Player
06-17-2015, 03:21 PM
What about when General Grant was besieging Chattanooga and one night he stumbled upon a Confederate private and had a long talk with him.

Caserta34
06-18-2015, 04:02 AM
What about when General Grant was besieging Chattanooga and one night he stumbled upon a Confederate private and had a long talk with him.

I've never heard of that one I'm going to look it up

Rithal
06-18-2015, 08:26 AM

:D If that is true, then that is really cool. Is it bad for me to say that if I was that private my "finger might have slipped"? XD I wonder what kept him from attacking him... And I wonder what Grant was doing wondering around by himself into a Confederate picket (Assuming he was a picket). I guess Grant couldn't handle our good ole' Tennessee wilderness XD

Historical Player
06-18-2015, 01:42 PM
:D If that is true, then that is really cool. Is it bad for me to say that if I was that private my "finger might have slipped"? XD I wonder what kept him from attacking him... And I wonder what Grant was doing wondering around by himself into a Confederate picket (Assuming he was a picket). I guess Grant couldn't handle our good ole' Tennessee wilderness XD
Mu uncle told me the story and he is a Civil War expert. He said Grant was scouting around and was getting some water and a Confederate Private came to the same creek to get water. I guess they had respect for each other.

Caserta34
06-19-2015, 12:05 AM
That's is cool

Historical Player
06-19-2015, 06:18 AM
Indeed good sir.

Rithal
06-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Mu uncle told me the story and he is a Civil War expert. He said Grant was scouting around and was getting some water and a Confederate Private came to the same creek to get water. I guess they had respect for each other.

Mehh... respect.... If I was that private I would march myself into E. Lee's tent and say "Hey General, guess who I just brought you!" :D

Historical Player
06-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Mehh... respect.... If I was that private I would march myself into E. Lee's tent and say "Hey General, guess who I just brought you!" :D
lol, that would be funny but it was Braxton Bragg commanding the Confederate forces.

Rithal
06-20-2015, 12:00 AM
lol, that would be funny but it was Braxton Bragg commanding the Confederate forces.

Yeah I don't know why I said Lee XD I had woken up at 9am the day before that..... I have problems with CS:GO .....

Historical Player
06-20-2015, 03:09 PM
lol I understand.

Henronicus
11-11-2015, 09:52 PM
I got this book with all sorts of stories about screw-ups and funny happenings during the war. For example there was a union navy captain that personally fired one of his cannons at a confederate ironclad, only to have the shot ricochet back and land at his feet.

LTC Philip A. Work
11-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Early in the war a green confederate was on pickett duty late in the night. He had not seen combat and had not been that far away from home before.

The night was pitch black and the young solider was very anxious.

Suddenly out of the dark an owl let out a loud "Whooooo"

Trembling with fear the soldier responded "John Albert sir, a friend of yours"

That Filthy Black Hat
11-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I recall a few small stories about some funny instances that I heard during events I go to.

The first was of, if I recall correctly, the 1st Illinois when they were riding towards the ohio/Kentucky border many had fallen asleep in the saddle and lost their hats in the process. Not wanting their heads to go bear they stopped in a town they were going through and left with what ever they could grab including bonnets and stocking caps.

The second is of a dismounted Calvary unit at Chickamauga who were engaging a confederate contingent across a small river. Taking fire from the confederates the cav., armed with spencer carbines , would fire at the confederates then duck under water to chamber a new round then emerge from the water to fire again. They continued this as they made their way across and left the confederates confused on how the heck these union men were even able to reload under water.

Hopefully this entertain you all.

A. P. Hill
11-13-2015, 06:34 PM
The South won!!! ... Oh! Wait, wrong story. ;)

JaegerCoyote
11-14-2015, 01:43 PM
One I like is when Archer's Brigade was on a farm in Chambersburg Pike, the farmer comes out of his cellar, and asked what is going on and after told a battle was going happen between A.P. Hill and the Union Army, he replies "Well can you tell A.P. Hill to hold on, I let my cow out to pasture and I like to get back in before you start shooting"