PDA

View Full Version : Who is your Avatar pic and why did you choose that pic?

Historical Player
06-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Mine is Banastre Tarleton who was a Lieutenant Colonel in the British Army during the American Revolutionary War and I find him to be a very interesting figure from that time. I love cavalry and I enjoy reading about Tarleton and his adventures. I am American by the way. :)

William
06-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Every one who knows kind about the History knows what my Pic is xD Ironbriagde ^^ why because of Black Hat Brigade fucks everything that's why!

Rithal
06-18-2015, 08:09 AM
Stonewall Jackson photoshopped with a party hat and a mustache, on the body of one of Hinkel's avatars, because Stonewall Jackson.

Rithal
06-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Mine is Banastre Tarleton who was a Lieutenant Colonel in the British Army during the American Revolutionary War and I find him to be a very interesting figure from that time. I love cavalry and I enjoy reading about Tarleton and his adventures. I am American by the way. :)

Isn't that the fella who Hollywood based the dreaded Tavington on in The Patriot?

Soulfly
06-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Isn't that the fella who Hollywood based the dreaded Tavington on in The Patriot?

Aye thats him, i must admit that i loved that character.

Brother_Padre
06-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Mine is Ellis Spears, former Major and Brevet Colonel of the 20th Maine and Brigadier General in the Army of the Potomac. I chose it because I lead the 20th Maine in North and South and didn't want such a common name as 'Chamberlain' or 'Lawrence' so I took Spears.

DictatorDom
06-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Philip Kearny, commander of the infamous First New Jersey Brigade. Have a quote of his in my signature; he was fearless and used to yell, "Don't worry men, they'll all be firing at me!" when marching into battle. He fought the whole war with one arm, as he lost the left in the Mexican-American war. There was plenty of talk of putting him in charge of the Potoamic before he died. The minute he did die, Confederate Major General A.P. Hill exclaimed that he deserved a better death than in the mud.

Josy_Wales
06-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Just changed to a picture I made a cupel of days ago. Together with the ACW, the native american history is my favorite historical topic, so figured Geronimo would be a good choice :)

Historical Player
06-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Stonewall Jackson photoshopped with a party hat and a mustache, on the body of one of Hinkel's avatars, because Stonewall Jackson.

The party hat suits him, lol!

Historical Player
06-18-2015, 01:44 PM

Yes, only Tavington was really inaccurate. Tarleton was not a ruthless brute and there is no historical record or eyewitness accounts of him burning buildings with people inside.

Historical Player
06-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Philip Kearny, commander of the infamous First New Jersey Brigade. Have a quote of his in my signature; he was fearless and used to yell, "Don't worry men, they'll all be firing at me!" when marching into battle. He fought the whole war with one arm, as he lost the left in the Mexican-American war. There was plenty of talk of putting him in charge of the Potoamic before he died. The minute he did die, Confederate Major General A.P. Hill exclaimed that he deserved a better death than in the mud.
Philip Kearny is one of the commanders you never hear too much about. I liked reading about him and his Jersey Brigade.

Historical Player
06-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Mine is Ellis Spears, former Major and Brevet Colonel of the 20th Maine and Brigadier General in the Army of the Potomac. I chose it because I lead the 20th Maine in North and South and didn't want such a common name as 'Chamberlain' or 'Lawrence' so I took Spears.

Was he at Gettysburg with the 20th Maine? I don't recall ever hearing about him.

Brother_Padre
06-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Was he at Gettysburg with the 20th Maine? I don't recall ever hearing about him.

Nice quadruple post ;)

Yeah he was at Gettysburg and is one of the people who argues that Colonel Chamberlain did not order the bayonet charge. In the film he was the 20thME officer with the pipe and glorious facial hair seen here riding with Chamberlain:

http://home.comcast.net/~tstarr1863/riding2.JPG

You should search him on Wikipedia.

[RG]Chewie
06-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Mine is me lol

Historical Player
06-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Nice quadruple post ;)

Yeah he was at Gettysburg and is one of the people who argues that Colonel Chamberlain did not order the bayonet charge. In the film he was the 20thME officer with the pipe and glorious facial hair seen here riding with Chamberlain:

http://home.comcast.net/~tstarr1863/riding2.JPG

You should search him on Wikipedia.
I have to answer all my adoring fans. :) I have never heard of him believe it or not. I will have to go back and watch that movie.

Rithal
06-19-2015, 08:06 AM

Is that the guy with the long hillbilly beard in the movie? The one who always had the pipe? I liked him as well.

Brother_Padre
06-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Is that the guy with the long hillbilly beard in the movie? The one who always had the pipe? I liked him as well.

That is him.

ayyy now i'm a private! :)

Austro
06-19-2015, 11:19 AM
My avatar is Franz Joseph I and I picked him because my favourite country in both Victoria 2 and Europa Universalis is Austria :)

Soulfly
06-19-2015, 11:45 AM
My avatar is a flag :/

Rithal
06-19-2015, 11:46 AM
My avatar is Franz Joseph I and I picked him because my favourite country in both Victoria 2 and Europa Universalis is Austria :)

I prefer The Hansa in EU IV, but I do like Austria :D

Hinkel
06-19-2015, 11:47 AM
My avatar is an ingame made confederate soldier... I had to choose him, cause I am in the team :p
Hehe.. but as a confederate supporter, its always a pleasure to use a fine, southern gentlemen! ;)

Historical Player
06-19-2015, 04:03 PM
My avatar is an ingame made confederate soldier... I had to choose him, cause I am in the team :p
Hehe.. but as a confederate supporter, its always a pleasure to use a fine, southern gentlemen! ;)

Agreed. Southern people are the best!

Rithal
06-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Agreed. Southern people are the best!

While I do enjoy the local "southern hospitality", I have met some pretty cool New Yorkers XD

Simon445
06-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Mine pic is from WoR screenshots, and it's confederate soldier.

I chose him because I can see myself in that uniform when game comes out

Historical Player
06-20-2015, 03:11 PM
While I do enjoy the local "southern hospitality", I have met some pretty cool New Yorkers XD

There are cool people in every town, but overall I like the South better.

Bravescot
06-21-2015, 09:24 PM
My avatar is Horace W. Porter. I picked him as he is the man I roll play in N&S.

Historical Player
06-21-2015, 11:11 PM
My avatar is Horace W. Porter. I picked him as he is the man I roll play in N&S.

Cool, Horace.

Ry1459
06-24-2015, 02:37 AM
Mine is a painting of the famed Berdan's Sharpshooters. I just fell in love with the regiment after doing a report on them and I'd thought the painting looked pretty cool :p

Mi'kmaq
06-26-2015, 02:28 AM
General Nathan Bedford Forrest. I chose him because he is one of my favourite Confederate generals.

Rithal
06-26-2015, 02:33 AM
General Nathan Bedford Forrest. I chose him because he is one of my favourite Confederate generals.

This is just the place for you. In one of these threads we give NBF all kinds of love and discuss his general badassery.

Mi'kmaq
06-26-2015, 02:40 AM
This is just the place for you. In one of these threads we give NBF all kinds of love and discuss his general badassery.

:0 where is this thread?

PurplePanda
06-30-2015, 04:10 AM
It's a ghost; I picked it because it is cute :D

Scotland
10-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Mine is a drawing of a random Scottish Highlander in the American Revolution. I am Scottish by the way. :cool:

A. P. Hill
10-18-2015, 04:59 PM
My avatar is a flag :/

As is mine for now. :)

<EDIT> Just changed it to my favorite Lt. General. Ambrose Powell Hill. ... He's a distant ancestor on my mother's side. </EDIT>

Mine is a drawing of a random Scottish Highlander in the American Revolution. I am Scottish by the way. :cool:

And I am a card carrying member of the Clan Graham. I even have a great kilt and 2 handed claymore.

Scotland
10-18-2015, 05:07 PM
@Snuffy Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightt t

A. P. Hill
10-18-2015, 05:34 PM
@Snuffy Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightt t

Ummm ... Is there a Problem?

BloodBeag
10-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Mine is Larry from a group called Cameo who were big in the eighties

Ahlon
10-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Mine is Carl Schurz, He was an German Major General in the Union Army.

Tsforteen
10-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Mine is just a world war 1 themed painting of a soldier I found on the internet. I like that era and I really like the picture.

AngryNorwegian
10-20-2015, 02:03 AM
The Man with no name, the coolest man alive in the Civil War Era and after, even if he is fictional. And also from my favorite movie of all time.

Jamez
10-20-2015, 02:14 AM
A fan drawing of Templar Assassin from dota 2, using it because it is the same as my steam avatar.

Jonny Powers
10-22-2015, 06:52 PM
The Man with no name, the coolest man alive in the Civil War Era and after, even if he is fictional. And also from my favorite movie of all time.

Which one? Clint portrayed that character (who actually has a name: Joe, Manco, and Blondie in A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, respectively) in the whole Dollars trilogy. From what I can tell, that screenshot is from Fistful, my personal favorite ;)

Mine is Giuliano Gemma in the 1977 film California:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/California

Devmc99
10-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Tiffany flag of 28th Mass. Because Irish regiments are awesome.

CybrSlydr
10-22-2015, 09:16 PM
General William Tecumseh Sherman.

As an Army Veteran, I have a lot of respect for Sherman and what he did. Sherman realized what it took to win a war - you make it as unbearable on the enemy as possible until they've had enough and concede defeat. No pussy-footing, no ridiculous Rules of Engagement, no politics - just pure, "hard war".

I shall quote an exerpt from his Special Field Order #120...

IV. The army will forage liberally on the country during the march. To this end, each brigade commander will organize a good and sufficient foraging party, under the command of one or more discreet officers, who will gather, near the route traveled, corn or forage of any kind, meat of any kind, vegetables, corn-meal, or whatever is needed by the command, aiming at all times to keep in the wagons at least ten day's provisions for the command and three days' forage. Soldiers must not enter the dwellings of the inhabitants, or commit any trespass, but during a halt or a camp they may be permitted to gather turnips, apples, and other vegetables, and to drive in stock of their camp. To regular foraging parties must be instructed the gathering of provisions and forage at any distance from the road traveled.

V. To army corps commanders alone is entrusted the power to destroy mills, houses, cotton-gins, &c., and for them this general principle is laid down: In districts and neighborhoods where the army is unmolested no destruction of such property should be permitted; but should guerrillas or bushwhackers molest our march, or should the inhabitants burn bridges, obstruct roads, or otherwise manifest local hostility, then army commanders should order and enforce a devastation more or less relentless according to the measure of such hostility.

VI. As for horses, mules, wagons, &c., belonging to the inhabitants, the cavalry and artillery may appropriate freely and without limit, discriminating, however, between the rich, who are usually hostile, and the poor or industrious, usually neutral or friendly. Foraging parties may also take mules or horses to replace the jaded animals of their trains, or to serve as pack-mules for the regiments or brigades. In all foraging, of whatever kind, the parties engaged will refrain from abusive or threatening language, and may, where the officer in command thinks proper, give written certificates of the facts, but no receipts, and they will endeavor to leave with each family a reasonable portion for their maintenance.
— William T. Sherman, Military Division of the Mississippi Special Field Order 120, November 9, 1864.

That is a man who understands how to win.

Also, being an Ohioan, we share the state and he was born but 4 days prior to me.

Dipington
10-22-2015, 09:29 PM
My ancestor Alfred H. Terry, he raised 2 connecticut regiments and was promoted to BrigGen in the Army of the Tennesse after the siege of Fort Fisher he was promoted to MajGen of the X Corps and after the war he was in charge of the Military district of Mississippi and put in the war against the natives with custer under him (and you can guess what custer did in the war against the natives) pretty interesting of my mother's family

CjkCJkCjk
10-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Mine Is Patrick R. Cleburne, An Irish Major General for the Confederacy. He is a very interesting figure and with me being part Irish i thought it fit, and my Signature is a 1st LA wheat tigers since it is the regiment I have reached the most about