PDA

View Full Version : Question about Servers

Toland
07-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Kinda curious what y'all had in mind for servers. Are y'all gonna allow people to buy servers for the game if they want to, like in Mount and Blade? Or just in general what did y'all have in mind?

Rithal
07-08-2015, 03:34 AM
Kinda curious what y'all had in mind for servers. Are y'all gonna allow people to buy servers for the game if they want to, like in Mount and Blade? Or just in general what did y'all have in mind?

I have also been wondering about this for a long time, but I feel it is going to be one of those "We will be discussing this in an upcoming field report" answers XD

Austro
07-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I think it depends on the sales, if a lot of people are playing then additional, player owned servers will probably be needed, but if it's just enough or around the amount to fill up official servers then it might be a better idea to keep the population concentrated.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-09-2015, 11:04 AM
What Austro said I much rather have constant large battles then servers that get popular at a certain time only..

Octavian360
07-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Since this game is going to have 500+ people on map(s)... I see having community run servers being an issue if there are too many of them. The population will be spread out too thin with only a few servers possibly having max player count.

A possible middle ground to this issue is only allowing organized, structured, established regiments owning their own private or public servers. Still drawing the player base to the official servers but having that option of playing on community run servers that help the player possibly stay with the game for the long term (joining a regiment and interacting with others).

Just a quick two cent idea I came up with while reading this post.

Soulfly
07-13-2015, 06:36 AM
A possible middle ground to this issue is only allowing organized, structured, established regiments owning their own private or public servers. Still drawing the player base to the official servers but having that option of playing on community run servers that help the player possibly stay with the game for the long term (joining a regiment and interacting with others).

And who is going to control that ? only allowing "organized, structured, established regiments" to run servers is not a proper way to keep the numbers of servers small and since the game isnt even out yet i see no reason to think about server limitations yet....

Ps: The initial number of players will be around 200...as far as i remember

Octavian360
07-13-2015, 03:48 PM
And who is going to control that ? only allowing "organized, structured, established regiments" to run servers is not a proper way to keep the numbers of servers small and since the game isnt even out yet i see no reason to think about server limitations yet....

Ps: The initial number of players will be around 200...as far as i remember

It would be up to the Developers and their community reps. It sure is a way to keep numbers small, they put in a petition for server hosting, list their creds and the devs can decide if they think they have a long lasting future in the game. I dont want 1,0000 servers up and only around 5 have max. This is a very niche community, its not like they are going to sell Call of Duty sized volumes.

Soulfly
07-13-2015, 06:49 PM
I really dont see why this should be an issue, but if you have very little available servers players will also stay away since there is no space for them. If you have 1000000 Servers you will simply chose the one where the most players are...and a future of a game is not necessarily connected to the amount servers....if you have a shit** game even one server online wont save you.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-15-2015, 01:02 AM
Well since no dev or Trusty has commented on this yet I am gonna assume 2 things one it's not decided by even the devs yet or two we will get this addressed in the next field report.... I am just gonna sit back for now and kinda wait for a response from Trusty or a Dev on this issue I put my two cents in earlier but until we have a idea what the devs plan on with the Official servers it's just spitballing at this point.

R21
07-22-2015, 04:49 AM
Q: I heard War of Rights would feature massive online battles. How many players will be able to play on a single server?
A: We cannot give an exact number at this point, but the end goal is “several hundred”.

I'll believe it when I see it, many Cry-Engine Game's struggle with the Standard 32 Player set-up.

Rithal
07-22-2015, 06:29 AM
I'll believe it when I see it, many Cry-Engine Game's struggle with the Standard 32 Player set-up.

I wouldn't start doubting these developers so soon. I have no doubt in my mind that they will be able to achieve their goals. We have seen them overcome obstacles time and time again.

I would however like to know how the developers plan on supporting very large servers and around how many players will be supported on each server.

R21
07-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Not several hundred, no way.

There are UE4 Game's that are going for 100 Player server's (50 v 50) and that seem's like it's hard enough to do. Not saying it's impossible on Cry Engine to have high number's of player's and given the fact it'll mostly be single shot Weapon's it'll cut down on ballistic calculation's, but several Hundred seem's a bit unrealistic.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Well the devs have said they want massive battles so they are aiming for a HIGH number of players on a server.

Octavian360
07-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Lets keep an open mind till we hear more on the issue :) I dont know much of anything when it comes to game developing :P

88thNY_InFaMY
07-23-2015, 03:22 PM
^
This guy gets it till the Devs give a solid number we have no idea just "Plans" the devs have.